Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Super-Sweet 21st.

Options
  • 05-07-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

I'm aware I'm unlikely to get any decent responses, but still...

I'm turning 21 in September. I've had countless people asking me what sort of party/celebration I'm going to have.

I'm know it's stupidly early to even be thinking about it, but any ideas of what I could do?

Don't want a typical rehash-your-debs party.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm turning 21 in September. I've had countless people asking me what sort of party/celebration I'm going to have.

I'm know it's stupidly early to even be thinking about it, but any ideas of what I could do?

MJ/thriller Theme....hopefully if nobody else famous has kicked the bucket by then it'll still be plastered all over the papers and on telly enough to be "in"

unless we get another 9/11 in the mean time then your fooked...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Am I invited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A bikini party.

I'm going to crash it. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I spent my 21st at home playing Neverwinter Nights.

Your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Give Lorcan a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Screw having some big shin dig for it. Just go to a pub/nightclub with your friends and have a load of drink waiting back at yours or a friends house. This will be much better than booking out some stupid venue and inviting about 100 people most of which you probably don't care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Retirement Party Theme cause, like, you're so, like old now and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

TheZohan wrote: »
    A bikini party.

I'm going to crash it. ;)

Actually, that's not a bad idea! I'll call up Heff and see what he thinks! :p

You can be the official photographer!

And yeah, I'll have an open invitation for Boardsies! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I brought a bunch of friends to the pub one night, and brought another few close friends to movies + dinner another night.
    None of the typical giant party with a cheesy dj type.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just have some fun. Get a decent venue, get your friends there, provide alcohol.

I recently worked at a twenty-first where the family spent approx. €50,000 on the night and had nearly 200 people along. It was crazy, but in a "oh my god, what have you spent!?!?!" kind of way rather than "This is the best party EVERRRRR!!" kind of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

weekend away in europe. if ye book now you'll get flights for about 50 quid, just email the dates to everyone and leave it up to them....

all the tight/boring/not really a friend people wont go, cue good weekend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭themilkyone

Don't want a typical rehash-your-debs party.

I rented out a place called the Earl of Kildare on Kildare Street for my 21st last September. Was a pretty decent venue. If you have any friends that can DJ they'll supply the equipment free of charge. The only thing I will say is that the food platters were kinda pricey. All in all I think it cost me about €400 for food,room and bar extension til 4am. It's part of a hotel so you can get a late night out of it.

Hope this is some use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Just have some fun. Get a decent venue, get your friends there, provide alcohol.

I recently worked at a twenty-first where the family spent approx. €50,000 on the night and had nearly 200 people along. It was crazy, but in a "oh my god, what have you spent!?!?!" kind of way rather than "This is the best party EVERRRRR!!" kind of way.

holy ****!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You should do what I did on my 21st (after I started a thread) and just go out on the piss with your friends. Make sure ye all have somewhere to go after the pub/club too.

narwog81 wrote: »
    weekend away in europe. if ye book now you'll get flights for about 50 quid, just email the dates to everyone and leave it up to them....

all the tight/boring/not really a friend people wont go, cue good weekend....

That's what I was thinking, go away somewhere nice for a few days, have a change of scenery.
    I rented out a place called the Earl of Kildare on Kildare Street for my 21st last September. Was a pretty decent venue. If you have any friends that can DJ they'll supply the equipment free of charge. The only thing I will say is that the food platters were kinda pricey. All in all I think it cost me about €400 for food,room and bar extension til 4am. It's part of a hotel so you can get a late night out of it.

Hope this is some use.

Thanks for that! Funnily enough, I have a few friends who are into DJing, but unfortunately, my uncle would be heartbroken if I asked them over him! He's having a bit of a mid-life crisis at the moment and has starting buying all this mad, expensive equipment and "DJs" at local events! Haha! :D

He actually suggested to me months ago that he be the DJ at my party *sigh*

The idea of having a traditional 21st party scares me, because all the ones I've been to have been utterly crap. We're talking pissed grandparents in the corner wearing party hats, chatting to relatives you never knew existed and greasy cocktail sausages in Tupperware bowls :(
    You should do what I did on my 21st (after I started a thread) and just go out on the piss with your friends. Make sure ye all have somewhere to go after the pub/club too.

The going on the piss thing is obviously appealing! I was thinking of staging a hen night. Get all the girls to dress up and look ridiculous, and just pretend I'm getting married :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The going on the piss thing is obviously appealing! I was thinking of staging a hen night. Get all the girls to dress up and look ridiculous, and just pretend I'm getting married :pac:

Yep. Do that. Wear the "L" sign and everything. It'll be rad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Screw having some big shin dig for it. Just go to a pub/nightclub with your friends and have a load of drink waiting back at yours or a friends house. This will be much better than booking out some stupid venue and inviting about 100 people most of which you probably don't care about.

This is definitely the best way to go. Less hassle,less expense, no fretting about numbers or food and you get to enjoy the night yourself instead of worrying if the party is going alright. A friend of mine split two cases of beer into 12 x 4can bags and stashed them in different gardens on the way from the pub back to her house and had clues as to which gardens they were in and we had a treasure hunt on the way back. Sounds childish (and it was) but we were drunk and it is still the 21st that sticks in my mind. Just be sure to pick the pub carefully and if possible get them to reserve a few tables together so everyone isn't split up. But whatever you decide to do just enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

We have a winner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To-ga To-ga To-ga...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

bluewolf wrote: »
    I brought a bunch of friends to the pub one night, and brought another few close friends to movies + dinner another night.
    None of the typical giant party with a cheesy dj type.

Nail on the head Blue. Too diva-ish for me, and made it very clear there were no surprises. I've heard one or two people mentioning they were taking time off work suspiciously around my imminent 30th, and I'm not liking it. Think I'll surprise them by fcuking off out of the country for a few days ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

You could just have one do with your mates, one with your family. Don't mix the two - the auld wans will hate the music and noise and your friends/workmates will be on their best behaviour in front of your family... and where's the fun in that? :D

Basically, do what YOU want. Everyone celebrates their 21st many times over with various groups of mates! :) You'll get around to everyone eventually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

myself and my 2 best friends turned 21 at the same time so we went to a pub invited family and friends. then we had a house party supplied the drink and had an i pod with speakers best night ever such craic thats all you need really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Totally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

How about booking yourself and partner / boyfriend / into a hotel for the night ,that way you fall up into bed instead of looking for a taxi home

BTW pika ,what date in sept ......

*mines on the 17th *

My 21st was a bunch of friends at my parent's home with food cooked by them and drinks provided by my friends. Best laugh and didn't get to sleep til 7am and some of the guests had to be in work by 10am.

Latchy wrote: »
    How about booking yourself and partner / boyfriend / into a hotel for the night ,that way you fall up into bed instead of looking for a taxi home

BTW pika ,what date in sept ......

*mines on the 17th *

23rd :)

Already have a 21st in the diary for the 22nd and 26th! It's madness.

As for the hotel plan, I'm single. I'd end up sitting in the hotel room on my own on my birthday! Niiiiice! ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Have drinks in your place first. Then goto the Leisureplex locked. Loads of fun playing Qzar when buckled.Then goto some nightclub. Dont waste your money on a big party.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nothing beats a fantastic game of pin the tail on the donkey for a 21st.

PARTY TO THE MAX, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't remember my 21st, why bother spending money on something you won't remember just spend the year telling strangers it's your birthday for free drink. It';; work out better if your in a city I xcould only get a day out of it but you could get free drink for months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Latchy and pika you should be charged advertising rates dammit :p

Never had a party and i'm 34, was never into the attention, plus you'd have to invite elderly relatives and my idea of a party is everyone dressing as burlesque dancers and pimps (or something along these lines) including my nana ;)

couple of close friends, less people to make a dick of myself in front of

Advertisement