Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crown Square Mervue

• 02-07-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

What is happening with this development? I saw one of the cranes moving the other day and thought it must be operational. But there was nobody in the cab only ghosts of unemployed crane drivers. It was just the wind changing direction.

Nothing has moved there since before Christmas. There was something in the papers about it back in December, I think. Saying they were about to start work again in March. But that never happened.

It's nearly seven months since anything happened there. What's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

What's going on?

A recession.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Think the "official" word on it then was they were stopping because the original anchor tenant had pulled out and they supposedly had a new anchor tenant so that meant a change in plans for the layout of the building which meant a few months planning and getting permission for these proposed changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They move the cranes every once in a while to suit the wind direction for safety reasons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The cranes swing in the wind , the site is abandoned and will remain so for the next few years .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The cranes swing in the wind , the site is abandoned and will remain so for the next few years .

Doommonger!
    When this topic came up before, I think one of the guys on site replied, maybe he could do so again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bank will release more money for the next stage when some anchor tenants are secured, nothing until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

galwayrush wrote: »
    Bank will release more money for the next stage when some anchor tenants are secured, nothing until then.

Thats it basically in a nut shell. Developer cannot get finance to complete the project. Same developer is doing a major project in the middle of Oranmore village, opposite the thatch pub. The workers on this site downed tools last week as they had not been paid in four weeks. Just shows the financial problems that developers out there are having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

They leave cranes up on derelict sites because it costs money to take them down and nobody wants to use wants them at the moment. It's mad given Ireland even two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I really hope this project starts up again and gets finished. It looks like it could be really nice.

There would be some jobs during construction and some more in the shops when they open which would be a nice little boost for Galway if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

KevR wrote: »
    I really hope this project starts up again and gets finished. It looks like it could be really nice.

Agreed. BUT, let's see City Limits/Living/whatever-on-Prospect Hill get tenanted first. Oh, and a traffic management plan for the Crown site would be interesting to see, too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JustMary wrote: »
    Agreed. BUT, let's see City Limits/Living/whatever-on-Prospect Hill get tenanted first. Oh, and a traffic management plan for the Crown site would be interesting to see, too!

TK Maxx will be residing in City Point. I would be worried if I owned a clothes shop in town...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

KevR wrote: »
    TK Maxx will be residing in City Point. I would be worried if I owned a clothes shop in town...

maybe, maybe not.

TK Maxx in Glasgow is one of the best clothes shops I've been in.
    TK Maxx in Dublin, one of the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

JustMary wrote: »
    There was a crane actually moving there on Monday with someone in it. I think they were just moving a few pieces of another crane that was on the ground around a bit.

In fairness, there are too many ill thought out and poorly conceived places like this in towns and cities across Ireland these days. One only has to go down the road to Wellpark to see the jock that place is in due to the new lights that replaced the monigesha roundabout. Its taking AGES to get in and out of the place, almost at any time now, because of them. Even the Dunnes Stores in Briarhill, what a joke of a traffic system they have there, only a matter of time before theres a bad accident at the exit from it and the old monivea road.....
    What type of development was Crown square meant to be anyway? No doubt a shopping center with "luxourous"(SP) appartment living (read, overprices, no garden, cant swing a cat, with no local amenities)

Sorry, this has turned out to be a bit of a rant but as others may know from my other posts on various aspects of Galway Cities planning, I have little time for ill conceived places like this, no matter how many jobs it provides.

The planning application in March 2006 was along the lines of
    a €400m development of commercial and residential properties together with civic amenities on the Crown Control site in Galway city. The developers, Stephen Harris, Walter King and Bernard McKeown, plan to include 26,425 sq m of retail space, mainly of the retail warehousing type. The anchor is expected to be a DIY store with a garden centre.
    In addition there will also be 11,563 sq m of residential accommodation consisting of 140 residential units. Other buildings will contain 9,378 sq m of office accommodation plus 9,286 sq m of additional accommodation which will consist of a 100 bedroom hotel, a creche and leisure facilities. http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/property/grand-400m-galway-plan-110134.html

I know this thread is a year old but one of the Council's biggest debtors is this site
    ..the City Council is owed well over €5m in unpaid levies in relation to almost 70 sites around town.
    The single biggest debt relates to the abandoned Crown Square development in Mervue – headed up by Padraic Rhatigan of JJ Rhatigan and Walter King of GK Developments – where almost €2.1m is owed.

So there you go it's been abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was just thinking about the place this morning when I passed it.

It's been left idle for over a year and a half now anyways hasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭sgthighway

snubbleste wrote: »
    I know this thread is a year old but one of the Council's biggest debtors is this site

I wouldn't take that literally. I think its left there with the understanding it would take off when things pick up but realistically the banks will probably end up owning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Are the loans still performing?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

no mention yet of the owners being NAMA'd anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

It's a bit of a blessing in disguise. It would have caused traffic chaos. No more than KFC and Briarhill Dunnes, how could any sane and ethical individual granted planning permission for them... </rant and rolly eyes>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Spinning plates whilst walking a tightrope, one would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Robbo wrote: »
    Spinning plates whilst walking a tightrope, one would imagine.

Above a crocodile pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh yes.

I went past this in the bus last Saturday: one of the gates was open and there was a van inside the site. Any idea what's going on? Or maybe it was just security.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's a bit of a blessing in disguise. It would have caused traffic chaos. No more than KFC and Briarhill Dunnes, how could any sane and ethical individual granted planning permission for them... </rant and rolly eyes>

The permission was fine for those developements until some twits managed to hinder building of the city by-pass.Hopefully common sense will prevail and it will get the green light asap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I see cranes in the Crown square site, is it going ahead again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

They never left so nothing happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

A few of them did emigrate, there was one still erected down near Eircom and a few more stacked on the ground last time I was at home. How many are up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

These are from August-

B21CFDC1C7EA4FDD8FB02093C1E92790-0000332953-0002725104-00800L-B5389B4640504F3DAF948050B0C53DD8.jpg

A280613825A64C2882F0930615E2DBBB-0000332953-0002725105-00800L-F91928FA3A8C42D3948C224FB46BE26A.jpg

FD763CB8C0C0492884A374EEBF4340D9-0000332953-0002725106-00640L-1B7896E22A4A46938412A82F08EFFE29.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

A new crane did arrive on site yesterday. We will have to wait and see though if its to start up again, or if its for removing whats there already?

Advertisement