Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arrange a game / Open Events / Open Week Details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

There's an Open Singles in Mullingar this Sunday. Not sure of the details but some of my mates are heading down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Daddy2005

Anybody up for a game on next friday (3rd july)....need to get a practice round in before i head to meath for a touranment on a saturday morning.

Date: 3rd July
    Time: 2pm
    Venue : South Dublin/North Wicklow????

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmystars

Anyone know the details of the competitions of lee valleys open week. Its on this week. Interested in getting out one of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

one of the best in cork in savage shape at the mo
    scramble mon
    singles tues
    4 ball thurs
    can be booked online at webgolf
    http://www.webgolf.ie/clubs/cork/leevalley.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

denisoc16 wrote: »
    Just saw on The Examiner this morning that Cobh have open singles on 26th/27th/28th June. Wouldn't mind getting out on the new course there to see what it's like..... And to check out the island green par 3!!

Anyone here play in this? I'd be interested to see what people think of the course.

• Advertisement

Date : 3rd July 2009
    Time : 2pm
    Venue: South Dublin / North Wicklow

Anybody..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭JohnHenry

Played cobh last fri jason,
    £20 euro for the round, good value. Obviously its a brand new course, so some things were not spot on but it has potential. Have to say that they have it set up really poorly though, specifically the rough (or hay or sillage), whatever you would like to call it. the ground is pretty hard at the moment and unless you hit a perfect driver down the middle of the fairway, dead straight, chances are your ball will roll through the fairway, one cut of pretty short rough( bout 5 yards) and into the long stuff. and I mean long stuff(no chance of finding balls in it). Play was way to slow because people were flat out trying to find balls, and 1 guy playing with me must have lost 8-9 balls. They really need to look at changing the way they set that up, maybe 2 or 3 cuts before you reach the hay!!!
    its not very long, but its got some greens with some big borrows on them and there are some really nice par 3's, including the island green.personally, i wont be heading back there this summer but will be interested in the progress by next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

Anyone fancy a game in Moyvalley this Thursday or friday flexible on time, give me a shout, high hanidcap here

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

Yeah The rough is being worked on. I was out there last night and the strip of really thick stuff is getting narrower all the time. went around 3 over even with doubles at 5 and 17. It really is too short off the yellows though. I'm looking forward to the bunkers being in play and the greens getting a good bit quicker.

Any open days happening on this Friday coming in the north wicklow area???:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Open week and a half starts in wexford Gc tomorrow wednesday 1st july until sunday the 12th july.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

Any special offers on green fees there? Or is it around the €50-60 mark...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Anyone playing the Heath today?
    I'm off at 5.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Ichiro wrote: »
    I'm off at 5.20.
    I might pop down after work but not sure if I'll just be hitting the practice area or heading out for 9.

Will be looking to get my 3 cards in very soon so if there are any members heading out please let me know...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmystars

soundsham wrote: »
    one of the best in cork in savage shape at
    4 ball thurs

Just wondering how a 4ball works. As in how it is scored. How long it takes ect. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

4 guys tee off 2 players on each team
    ie a+b play against c+d and every other pairing
    handicaps are reduced by 1/4
    so if you are normally off 20 its reduced to 15 if your normally off 10 it is reduced to 7.5 which is 8 for the fourball
    both you and your partner play your own ball on every hole same as in singles, and mark down the best stableford score achieved by either of ye on each hole,thats pretty much it......i think

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Yes, Fourball is sometimes called Fourball Betterball. You count the best (stableford) score from the two players on each hole and you each play off 3/4 handicap. Write down the stroke on the card in the column for the player that got that score.... Say I'm playing with you and you have a shot on the first... we both par it so the par goes under your name for 3 points.
    You tee off in 4's (another pair marks your card). Can be a slowish due to playing in groups of 4 but shouldn't necessarily be so. Sometimes you will be out of the hole and your partner is left to fend for himself... sometimes you will tap in a short putt which gives your partner a 'free' chance to go one better so tactics can come into it too.

Then to confuse you, you can also play Fourball Matchplay which is 2 versus 2. The lowest handicap player plays off 0 (scratch) and the rest of the players play of 3/4 of the difference in handicaps.... Say lowest is 4, then 8, 14 & 18.
    The 4 handicapper plays off 0.
    The 8 plays off (8-4)=4 x 0.75 = 3.
    The 14 plays off (14-4)=10 x 0.75 = 7.5 (8)
    The 18 plays off (18-4)=14 x 0.75 = 10.5 (11)

You then have holes won, halved & lost until you have an outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Anyone available tomorrow for to play in a 4man stableford team event? 4man teams 2 scores on each hole. Lovely course and some great prizes (fabulous BBQ's must be 400quids worth).

My time is 10.00 but pritty much any time before 12 is available? Anyone able to play, its in Blainerow. Co. Wicklow and its €60.

Regards
    Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pauliee

Any Heath members heading out for a round on Saturday morning as I need to hand in scorecards for my handicap. Give me a shout if you don't mind me tagging along.

I'm off at 5 ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Can't do this evening. Aiming to head out on Thursday myself if anyones around...

hi Ichiro

Are you still playing today?

Let me know and i can head out at 5pm

Pauliee,

Saw you on the 8th - I was on the 17th.
    Sorry missed your reply.

Looking to head out today - down for 5.40 PM me if you fancy playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Any opens on this Sunday in Dublin, Kildare, Meath etc........I see there is one on in Headfort New but is Four Person Team event. What's that by the way? Is there a site which explain all formats? Cheers...

Is it the same as Fourball aka Fourball Betterball aka above?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

No. Four person team is like a classic which you may have played in. Groups of 4, almost always playing together as a team and usually 2 (best) scores count on every hole.
    Sometimes teams will be split up because 4 playing together can lead to creative scores because basically you are marking your own card. Where good prizes are concerned this can lead to cheating but mostly these are fun days out.
    Sometimes scoring will be slightly different with maybe all scores to count on the last or some other stipulation on the day but usually it's 4 people out together (can often be men and women mixed in any combination), playing off their full handicaps and the best two stableford scores count on each hole... so you'd be happy with 5 points per hole for a total of 90

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭keane16

Whyner wrote: »
    Any opens on this Sunday in Dublin, Kildare, Meath etc........

Did you check the GUI site? http://www.gui.ie/open_fixtures.asp
    Whyner wrote: »
    I see there is one on in Headfort New but is Four Person Team event. What's that by the way? Is there a site which explain all formats?

Four person Team is all four players play together, normally two scores to count on every hole.

Yeah I just went onto this site, it's pretty useful, reckon I'll be using it quite a lot. Might run with Headfort, seems the best option and I could get a team together, thanks...

Sweet, booked in for 4pm, they're fully booked up so that was the earliest. Head out for 2pm and watch the Dubs win beforehand.......yes

Ichiro wrote: »
    Pauliee,

Saw you on the 8th - I was on the 17th.
    Sorry missed your reply.

Looking to head out today - down for 5.40 PM me if you fancy playing

No probs.

I can make it this evening so pm me to arrange

cheers

pauliee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Dylan69