Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!!!Cheap mortages!!!

Options
  • 30-06-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Just read this in the paper . Everyone's biggest expense is their mortage and over the course of the loan a quarter of a percent can represent tens of thousand of savings.

Found it incredible that interest rates vary from BOI AIB & EBS 2.65%-2.7% to Halifax's 4.45%. You would be paying a full 64.81-66.6 % extra on your mortage interest repayments with Halifax
    and an extra 42-49 % on the Ulster bank mortage interest rate

Quote and link below...Hope this brightens up someones day...

''He said the best variable rate for a first-time buyer at the moment is around 2.65%-2.7% from Bank of Ireland, AIB and EBS.

"Compare that with 3.75%-3.95% at Ulster Bank and 4.45% at Halifax. PTSB is just off the pace from the other domestics at about 3%-3.15%, which no doubt reflects its desire to shrink its loan book slightly (but not too much) given funding constraints," he said. ''

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

glad i took the tracker in 2006 when i got my Halifax mortgage, now at 2.25%....but for how long :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

ECB tracker 0.75%
    FTW

Best bet is fixed rate of 2.48% from EBS 2 years
    5yrs 3.15% - I think
    If you get better snap it up but I dont think variable it a good option, currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

kceire wrote: »
    glad i took the tracker in 2006 when i got my Halifax mortgage, now at 2.25%....but for how long :confused:

If you stay put I doubt they can change it. I am on ECB+0.6% with AIB and have a letter from them saying it will hold for the life of the loan. They can't get rid of me even if they beg.

Zynks wrote: »
    If you stay put I doubt they can change it. I am on ECB+0.6% with AIB and have a letter from them saying it will hold for the life of the loan. They can't get rid of me even if they beg.

I think he meant until ECB rate goes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

LouOB wrote: »
    I think he meant until ECB rate goes up

Yes, it has to be.

• Advertisement

There is talk of rate going up in the next monthly meeting
    If not over the summer
    Not surprised really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kceire wrote: »
    The last letter I got from Halifax (re my tracker) stated I'm being charged at 2% ! They're not getting rid of me!

Their fixed rates are crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dubrov

There is talk of rate going up in the next monthly meeting
    If not over the summer
    Not surprised really

A bit off topic but I don't know where you heard that. There is pretty much zero chance that rates will increas over this summer and very unlikely until well into next year

There was a lot of talk a couple of months ago about a fast recovery followed by hyper-inflation. That seems to have died down quite a bit and it loooks like we are in for a very long slow recovery.

If anything there is pressure on the ECB to drop rates as deflation looms. Chances are rates will be at 1% for at least 6 months and probably for the next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

dubrov wrote: »
    A bit off topic but I don't know where you heard that. There is pretty much zero chance that rates will increas over this summer and very unlikely until well into next year

There was a lot of talk a couple of months ago about a fast recovery followed by hyper-inflation. That seems to have died down quite a bit and it loooks like we are in for a very long slow recovery.

If anything there is pressure on the ECB to drop rates as deflation looms. Chances are rates will be at 1% for at least 6 months and probably for the next year

This is correct. I haven't heard a single economist/banker predict that rates will rise this summer. A few of the most cautious think that there may be a rise towards the end of the year, but most are in agreement that rates will remain as is until at least next year. Beyond that, anyone is guessing.

With regards the interest rates amongst banks, I've been saying this for a long time now. The current situation is showing up the men from the mice. All the foreign/small banks (the previous darlings of the media) are now completely screwing their customers, while the big Irish banks are remaining competitive. Only 3 years ago, every single newspaper would have been encouraging all their readers to abandon the "rip-off" big Irish banks and do their business with Halifax/NIB/Ulster/PTSB etc. (not to mention the sub-prime lenders) who were offering free banking (nothing in life is free), introductory offers, 100% mortgages etc.

Now, we have a huge amount of people, deep in negative equity stuck paying whatever these banks decide (being in negative equity, they can't move their mortgage to any of the competitors). For many, the introductory offer has now expired, or for others, the fixed interest rate is over and they are at the mercy of a bank that doesn't couldn't care less. In the case of the foreign banks, they are mostly shut up for new business (many will have exited the Irish market over the next year or 2) and don't care what this government (or any consumer group etc) think, say or do.

Don't get me wrong. Unlike most, I don't take these things personally. I don't hate these banks or anything. These banks are merely doing what they are supposed to do (and what they were allowed do via poor regulation, and encouraged to do by our media/public)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

Anybody getting a mortgage at the moment needs their head examined. Anyway, the lads on QuoteClub update their rates every week.

http://www.quoteclub.ie/mortgagerates.php

• Advertisement

I bet these cheap rates are for 60% mortgages or something daft like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

The cheaper the rate, the more difficult it will be to obtain approval. The margin that banks make on loans will inevitably be linked to the risk they are taking on, i.e. the lower the margin, the more of a 'brick' you need to be to get it. The banks seem to be advertising that they are 'open for business', but all the anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise, and credit is very difficult to obtain at the moment.

I bet these cheap rates are for 60% mortgages or something daft like that anyway.

Nope, the rates quoted above are for the highest LTV's. There are even lower rates (circa 2.25%) for the lower LTV's
    The cheaper the rate, the more difficult it will be to obtain approval. The margin that banks make on loans will inevitably be linked to the risk they are taking on, i.e. the lower the margin, the more of a 'brick' you need to be to get it.
    Also nope! The rates are based on LTV. A person who get's approved for the higher rates will equally get approved for the lower rates if their LTV is lower.
    The banks seem to be advertising that they are 'open for business', but all the anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise, and credit is very difficult to obtain at the moment.
    That's very much the bank-bashing media's spin on things. The truth is actually the other way around. The lending criteria is pretty much the same as it was. The problem is that now, there's a lot less people matching that same criteria. ie, a person earning circa 50K in a secure job today will get approved the same as a person earning circa 50K 3 years ago. The problem is that, today, many people are earning less and many are in employment that can no longer be regarded as "secure". For example, many public servants are getting approved as they were before. On the other hand, very few private sector workers (even/especially those who, a few years ago, were seen as perfectly safe as Civil Engineers/Solicitors/Architects etc) can safely say that their jobs are secure.

Think about it. Of course the banks are open for business. They need all the business they can get. But they can only take on those who, given the data available on the day, are safe customers. And the data available today contains a lot of uncertainties for many:(

Just checked the LTV's and there is a load of 95% ones. I still reckon prices have a good bit further south to go before committing to a mortgage. Re: the EBS product, its says 2.88% for a 95% LTV, that aint bad at all!!!!!

Does anybody know if any of the banks offer better rates to switch an existing mortgage to them? I remember during the peak of the boom they were all going mad trying to get people to switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Does anybody know if any of the banks offer better rates to switch an existing mortgage to them? I remember during the peak of the boom they were all going mad trying to get people to switch?

Id like to know that also, Im with Ulster Bank but was considering talking to AIB or BOI, seems there rates may be better. Although my tracker is quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

cruizer22b wrote: »
    Id like to know that also, Im with Ulster Bank but was considering talking to AIB or BOI, seems there rates may be better. Although my tracker is quite low.

STAY PUT!

You'll never get a tracker again. Even though AIB and BOI are low now, technically they can put their rates up by 5% in the morning. They won't like, but my point is they set their own variable rates. With the tracker, you're singing from the ECB hymn sheet (as you know).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dubrov

It all depends what mortgage rate you are on and the loan to value of your house. If you are on a tracker the answer is most likely no as these were given out at the height of the boom when spreads were very low

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Yeah im on the tracker but at 3.1% with ulster bank. Took it out in 2004.

Is that 3.1% or ECB + 3.1%. Both seem really high (I'm on ECB + 0.75% - Total of 1.75%). Have UB being passing on the rate cuts from the ECB? If they haven't, then you may as well be on a Standard variable with them.

• Advertisement

Anybody getting a mortgage at the moment needs their head examined.

So without getting a mortgage, how do you suggest we buy a new house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Soarer wrote: »
    So without getting a mortgage, how do you suggest we buy a new house?

He said dont get one NOW. Wait, perhaps another year when market will proper bottom out. People being given notice in the past few months will finish up by then and there will be less money in the economy

Net result: Prices HAVE to come down to keep the market going

As a buyer at the peak of the boom, i do urge people to err on the side of caution. Things will slowly pick up (to an extent) again, but it will take time

Waiting another year will save you at least ~20K in my opinion. Youll hardly pay more than 5K in rent in that time.

And when you DO buy, haggle like crap. If they say the house is 200K, offer 150K and work your way up. Dont be afraid to walk out of the deal. Its a buyers market where cash is king and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD dont listen to an estate agent when they tell you that now is the time to buy. Remember their vested interests

I hope this is of help. Wishing you luck my friend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

i agree with veryangryman, we aint seen the bottom of the market by a long shot. just from my recent inquires i found the prices on daft where way above what venders where willing to take. estate agents are trying to keep 'asking prices' up while offering houses for alot less when you speak to them in one case asking price on daft was 40k higher than what they said on the viewing.
    wait it out if you can

House prices will continue to fall as unemployment rises, also consider wages are still being reduced all over the place.

Just as predicting the top of the market is difficult, predicting the bottom is also difficult. Dont listen to estate agents or banks, keep an eye on the pubs and shops and see how busy they are, use you own eyes and dont believe the spin of the vested interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

ECB tracker 0.75%
    FTW

Best bet is fixed rate of 2.48% from EBS 2 years
    5yrs 3.15% - I think
    If you get better snap it up but I dont think variable it a good option, currently.

Can you post a link please. I'm on the EBS site now and seeing 5yrs fixed for 4.35%. Big difference from 3.15%

He said dont get one NOW. Wait, perhaps another year when market will proper bottom out. People being given notice in the past few months will finish up by then and there will be less money in the economy

Net result: Prices HAVE to come down to keep the market going

As a buyer at the peak of the boom, i do urge people to err on the side of caution. Things will slowly pick up (to an extent) again, but it will take time

Waiting another year will save you at least ~20K in my opinion. Youll hardly pay more than 5K in rent in that time.

And when you DO buy, haggle like crap. If they say the house is 200K, offer 150K and work your way up. Dont be afraid to walk out of the deal. Its a buyers market where cash is king and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD dont listen to an estate agent when they tell you that now is the time to buy. Remember their vested interests

I hope this is of help. Wishing you luck my friend :pac:
    i agree with veryangryman, we aint seen the bottom of the market by a long shot. just from my recent inquires i found the prices on daft where way above what venders where willing to take. estate agents are trying to keep 'asking prices' up while offering houses for alot less when you speak to them in one case asking price on daft was 40k higher than what they said on the viewing.
    wait it out if you can
    House prices will continue to fall as unemployment rises, also consider wages are still being reduced all over the place.

Just as predicting the top of the market is difficult, predicting the bottom is also difficult. Dont listen to estate agents or banks, keep an eye on the pubs and shops and see how busy they are, use you own eyes and dont believe the spin of the vested interests.

Thanks for all the advice above guys. Only problem is, as you can see from my sig, we're trying to sell in the current market too! :(
    If we wait much longer, we'll be in negative equity (we're not yet luckily).

So for us, it's really is a case of now-or-never.

This is miles off topic at this stage. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

try the house swap web site, people in your situation looking to move. hope it works for you, but for a lucky mistake i would be in the same boat:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ibuprofen

Just saw this .......Pretty important for anyone with BOSI , Halifax mortages...

http://www.examiner.ie/business/sngbmhaukf/

Have a quote here...

Lloyds, which owns Halifax, is understood to have got instruction from the British Treasury to cease lending in Ireland and repatriate assets.
    However an industry source said Halifax has been "effectively out of the market for some time and has stated as much with its excessive borrowing costs of 7% and greater".

Not sure of the tracker rates but it's as easy as walking into a bank or maybe even a quick call to a broker...you'd be mad not to check

• Advertisement

You'll easily beat that. Just check online.

http://www.aib.ie/personal/mortgages/Owner-Occupier-Mortgage

Advertisement