Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭the corpo

can you only buy the tickets for dublin bus @ ticketmaster? you can usually pay onboard for these things, no?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

so am I ok bringing a small point & shoot camera to record the evening with a few pics ??

last thing I want is for it to be taken on entry - even though every phone has a camera.

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Can't wait!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Who made who, who made you?
    Who made who, ain't nobody told you?
    If you made them and they made you
    Who picked up the bill, who? And who made who?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Loopy wrote: »
    Have never been to Punchestown..
    Is it a decent spot for a gig?
    Any ideas on when they will come on stage?
    Yea i like punchestown since its only 20 mins from my house :). Its just a open field pretty much also used as a racecourse . I like it venue wise although i think the further you are at the back the sound isnt supposed to be great.
    Cant wait for the gig. Me and my friends are heading to naas at 12ish to get the shuttle bus

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Cannot wait!!!!! Babysitter ordered and all:D

Who made who, ain't nobody told you?
    If you made them and they made you
    Who picked up the bill, who? And who made who?

That song has been in my head all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

what time should we get the bus from parnell square tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

zuroph wrote: »
    what time should we get the bus from parnell square tomorrow?

Anytime before AC/DC come on I'd imagine. ;)

Really can't wait. Been listening to them all day today!!

• Advertisement

im confuised though, gates arent til 4pm, why are buses running so early?! thinkin we'll just head out early and drink outside the venue til we get let in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Races are on, so it'll take a while to get down there, or at least that's my thinking behind it.

Should be a good buzz - Every bar in Dublin was blasting out some AC/DC tonight.

Does anyone know what the story is with buying tickets for the bus from Dublin (Dublin Bus bus) tomorrow? Only got back to Dublin at 5:30pm this evening and ticket sales had closed :-/

Myself and my dad are in Kildare now. Place is hopping. Is it possible to pay for the Dublin Bus service back from Punchestown I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just awake now and feeling a bit ropey but a breakfast beer and a listen of back in black will cure me.. then the bus to deal with!

Just awake now and feeling a bit ropey but a breakfast beer and a listen of back in black will cure me.. then the bus to deal with!

At 6:40am.... Normally I wouldn't condone this kind of thing but........... FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK.......... it's acceptable to drink alcohol early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I am going now in about 10mins :D going drinking with mates then a bus to catch at 11.30 can not wait, could barely sleep last night :(

• Advertisement

I am going now in about 10mins :D going drinking with mates then a bus to catch at 11.30 can not wait, could barely sleep last night :(

You might feel tired later on but when that first strum of the guitar is blasted out around Punchestown you'll be revitalised in a shower of rock and fcuking roll!!!

That_Guy wrote: »
    You might feel tired later on but when that first strum of the guitar is blasted out around Punchestown you'll be revitalised in a shower of rock and fcuking roll!!!

:eek: :D

My parents bought the ticket for me for my christmas present! Happy Christmas to me :cool:

Not going for the bus till 4.30, my cousin is coming with us and she's pregnant so we decided to go down a bit later. Gives me time to take the air guitar out and practise though!

Enjoy everybody. Rock on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Can't believe its today!

Only downer is my mates are travelling from home and me from town so I gotta hang around like a tool all day cause they're leaving way too late and I have their tickets.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Heading over to naas in bout hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

sensible wrote: »
    Pat McManus would be ideal for the spot + he's has the experience of playing in front of massive crowds from his days playing with the MAMA'S BOYS

oh yes !!

• Advertisement

getting my beer on. Woo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

pace yourself now!!!!!!!:D

you pace yourself! Today, Im a rock degen! i plan to be mouldy drunk, i just wrote my mates address on my arm to help me find my way home.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

To be honest i prefer to be sober to enjoy the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

zuroph wrote: »
    you pace yourself! Today, Im a rock degen! i plan to be mouldy drunk, i just wrote my mates address on my arm to help me find my way home.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Fúck, news reports of 70k crowd, gonna be a long journey down and back.

Dcully wrote: »
    To be honest i prefer to be sober to enjoy the show.
    suit urself nerdlinger :p

nah, I wont be that bad. just letting the hair down a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

all aboard the rock n roll train!!!!! todays journey includes the battering of the blizzards The Answer FINALLY getting the attention they deserve in ireland followed by the best set we shall ever see in our lives from the awsome acadaca!!!! anyone excited?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

\0/
    Cant Wait for this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Can't wait, from what I've heard about the stage, it's going to be the same show as the O2 and that was AWESOME!!! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Will be good to hear how the concert went and if the transport back was better than Slane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Hasnt been good reports this end, just thought I'd see if there was anyone back from it yet. Mr. Smelltheglove is on his way home and said he was one of a large crowd leaving early. Lets see how everyone else rated it, I couldnt go as someone had to look after the kids, we spent the day in the zoo, hubbie says he would have preferred that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Eeep, that's not looking good then.

I ended up not going, and left it too late to give away my tickets. Oh well - Maybe I saved myself a soaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Eeep, that's not looking good then.

I ended up not going, and left it too late to give away my tickets. Oh well - Maybe I saved myself a soaking.

There was a few people we know that didnt bother going at the last minute, but he usually enjoys every gig so it will be interesting to see the majority verdict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My bf parked in Goffs but couldnt get on a bus and ended up having to walk to Punchestown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red Devil

Can't compare to the point, but a cracking gig expect spoiled somewhat by poor organisation.

Set was slighty shorter than our epic journey out. Left town at 6 and got into the gig at 8.50. Partially caused by late arrivals, but did Dublin bus need to send out the 30 empty buses in advance,

This was topped by the fiasco at the end!

Just managed to make it on to a Dubln bus after the barriers for the queue were broken through as the security were not stopping people breaking the line at the top. Combination of idiots in the queue, but p*** poor organisation and hrard to say if there was not enough security or just no cop on.
    Apologies for the bullets, writing on the bus as we move out of Naas.

Pretty scary and could have ended badly, why can we not do the simple things right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

haven't heard from anyone since before the gig - a mate was on a bus before 5 and was still goin nowhere at 7:40, they said to allow for 3 hours for the trip but to be honest at that time it should have been fine......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

that... Was... Amazing... Incredible... Mind blowing... I was in the pit right up the front. Just wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

just back

good gig, bit of crack
    not a huge dc fan but enjoyed it

we arrived at the goffs park and ride at about quarter to six
    and made the gig at 8.15 approx, nightmare

left early to get out as we had a ten yr old with us
    and were not doing another two hours to goffs

the gig was fun but the rain damped it a bit
    and the 45min q for a beer!

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Just back in Dublin.

Left Dublin at 4. Arrived at Goffs Park and Ride at 4.25. Queued for 1 hour 20 mins to get on a bus. It drove 1km to the ramp onto the motorway and was in total grid lock. We gave it ten minutes. No movement so we walked the rest of the way to Punchestown in the rain. It was a 9.68 KM walk according to the phone GPS. Took 1 hour 50 minutes and arrived at the venue a little after 8 totally shattered. Our bus never caught up with us. Grand total of 4 hours after we left Dublin! We left the gig a few songs from the end and just made the first round of buses at 11 o'clock ahead of a MASSIVE queue. Back in Dublin at 12. I would not like to be left in that queue.

Good gig in between though but I will never travel to another gig outside Dublin. Infrastructure and organisation cannot cope.

EDIT: The guys I was with were in Slane last week and they said the ACDC gig transport situation was far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Eglinton wrote: »
    Just back in Dublin.

Left Dublin at 4. Arrived at Goffs Park and Ride at 4.25. Queued for 1 hour 20 mins to get on a bus. It drove 1km to the ramp onto the motorway and was in total grid lock. We gave it ten minutes. No movement so we walked the rest of the way to Punchestown in the rain. It was a 9.68 KM walk according to the phone GPS. Took 1 hour 50 minutes and arrived at the venue a little after 8 totally shattered. Our bus never caught up with us. Grand total of 4 hours after we left Dublin! We left the gig a few songs from the end and just made the first round of buses at 11 o'clock ahead of a MASSIVE queue. Back in Dublin at 12. I would not like to be left in that queue.

Good gig in between though but I will never travel to another gig outside Dublin. Infrastructure and organisation cannot cope.

EDIT: The guys I was with were in Slane last week and they said the ACDC gig transport situation was far worse.

Sounds like hell.

Anybody with any pictures of the gig that they would like to share?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Got the bus from Dublin at 4.25. Got off the bus and walked at 7.30. Arrived at 8.25. 4 hours to go 40km. Saw 3 fights in the first 30 minutes of getting to the gig, complete chaos at the food vans. Disaster of a gig IMO. AC/DC rocked hard as always though but the gig in the Point was a hundred times better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Got to Goffs at 1.30. Got to venue at 2.30. Ended up queuing for ages to get into area outside stage. Got in for 4.30. Blizzards were late going on but blasted through set. In front of barrier in front of vip zone was mental. Stuck it out though. Image of Angus on top of sound stage in the pissing rain lit by spots made it all worth it. Still on bus back to goffs atm. Gotta drive to limerick yet :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Gettin in and out wasn't that bad. Once you were in the town (Naas) you were ok.
    We had a shedload of pints in Naas, started walkin about six, hailed a taxi that got by the cops half a mile out, and were there ten minutes later. Fair enough, leavin we had to go before the end to beat the crowd, but we only had to queue for about fifteen minutes before we were on a bus.
    It's a gig with an estimated crowd of 80,000-100,000 so I don't know how people expect to get in and out easily if they don't plan ahead. Personally I had a blast. Roll on Oxegen!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just in,great gig AC/DC on form as usual. Only gripe the moronic security attached to the bus queing, their system was a joke. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Eglinton wrote: »
    Just back in Dublin.

same story - 4 hours to get there. Cranky by the time we arrived and then had to leave before the end to ensure getting on a bus to get back at a reasonable hour. Complete waste of money imo. AC/DC were good but I should have left it at the o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Just back now from the gig with the boyfriend and another mate,

AC/DC were fúcking amazing, never really been that into them to begin with but christ, talk about rocking out. They were unbelievable, a few real good crowd pleasers in there, loved the atmosphere, it was just brilliant... AC/DC fans are mental, seen some things at that gig that I've never seen in my life... :eek:

Blizzards were crap, I actually thought the radio was on for 3/4 of the time that they were on stage, they even said something along the lines of "We know you don't want to hear us, but we're gonna do our thing anyway"... At least that's what it sounded like, was fairly pissed at that stage.. The Answer were ok, couldn't really hear them tbh, something was weird with the sound, or maybe we were just too far back? I dunno...

Transport wise... well, I dunno. Getting there was grand, Mammy dropped us at Goffs to the park and ride, at around 2.30, we sat around and had a can or two and got a bus no bother. Traffic was a bit heavy on the way there, but otherwise alrite. Crazy bus of people ahead of us, at one point, they just hopped out of the bus and started walking? They were flutered by the looks of things, driver was swerving tryna avoid them... Got to Punchestown at about 3.45 maybe a bit earlier. Was waiting for AGES at the drop off point to get in, but gates didn't open til around half four I think it was, and then things got moving.

Getting home was a different kettle of fish altogether... We left before the encore because despite bf's protestations, I knew there'd be slim hope of us getting out of there before 1 if we didn't leave then. Felt bad when AC/DC came back on stage and did Highway to Hell which was amazing, we were nearly out of the main area but managed to get a good listen with a good crowd so didn't miss out on the encore too much. One thing I'll say for the way out, I thought it was very poorly lit, but was a bit pished so maybe that was just me?

Started queueing for buses back to Goffs at around half 11 and whatever was with our queue, the EMPTY buses just kept skipping us? We were all getting really annoyed, and then this WAGON skipped the queue and started singing and pissing everyone off, christ she was a pain, and she refused to get to the back of the queue, so three people didn't get on our bus because that muppet skipped the queue with her two mates and the steward did fcuk all about it, even though we were all shouting to get to the back... EVENTUALLY a bus came, and we got and it and it was a grand road back to Goffs, save for a few hold ups coming into naas itself but got back to Goffs and got my taxi and all. Home before 1 and in bed now with a cuppa. Very rock and roll.

Think I got away very lucky though, wait and see...

also apologies for the excessive and unnecessary detail, still a wee bit drunk :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Wasn't at the gig but was in naas today, dodged most of the traffic as i know the town well, at 5:30 traffic on the N7 was almost back to the Kill exit, that's two before the Naas exit, and people were walking from there. Looked like an absolute disaster. Dublin Bus can't really take the balme here though it must be the traffic managment of the town. Not sure if that's the gardai or Naas town council.

• Advertisement
Advertisement