Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Thin Lizzy have pulled out of the event, due to drummer Tommy Aldridge breaking his collarbone over the weekend in a cycling accident:

http://www.hotpress.com/news/5545320.html

Replacement act is The Blizzards.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MIP

Thin Lizzy have pulled out of the event, due to drummer Tommy Aldridge breaking his collarbone over the weekend in a cycling accident:

Pity, nothing against The Blizzards but was really looking forward to Lizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sparky29

Gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

FFS. Could they not have found someone other than The Blizzards as a replacement:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I am going but am worried about logistics.

Whether to go to Dublin and get buses down or go to Naas?

What a bitch its on a Sunday serious headache I must work Monday...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GlindaGale

The Blizzards??

The BLIZZARDS?!!!

Terrible choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sparky29

I'm not sure which is worse, Blizzards Supporting AC/DC or when Paddy Casey supported Pearl Jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

:mad: Ah for the love of JAYZUZ....

Who the fcuk are the p0xy Blizzards........

Wont bother me arse going out until ac/dc now, was really looking forward to Lizzy.

I am going but am worried about logistics.

Whether to go to Dublin and get buses down or go to Naas?

What a bitch its on a Sunday serious headache I must work Monday...:mad:

Dont go to Dublin, if you are coming from Cork go to Naas.

Dublin -> Naas (N7) will be a car park all day......waste of time for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Cheers I might do that. Get to Naas early and take it from there.

If it was a Saturday at least I could stay the night in Dub and go beering....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Why Why Why Why Why The Blizzards there are so many more better irish acts , Director , Fighting With Wire , In Case Of Fire to name a few . Lets hope they are on before The Answer. Its kinda like Bon Jovi last year when you had Kid Rock who was great and then you had to stand through Razors**te .
    Public Transport Access

Shuttle Bus - Goffs Park & Ride

Goffs Park and Ride is intended to cater for traffic travelling from the North / North East / West (N1, N2, N3, M4 / N4, N7), the South East (N11, N81 via M50 and N7) and South / South East Dublin directions.

Up to 90 shuttle buses, each with a capacity of 56 persons will be available to service the Park & Ride site over the course of the day. Demand will fluctuate with the provision of coaches phased to cater for this tidal demand.All Park and Ride coaches will travel on dedicated routes and will receive priority both to / from the venue.

The Park and Ride Centre will also be used for persons who wish to drop off and collect patrons attending the concerts. The park and ride facility will be FREE OF CHARGE and all shuttles to / from will be FREE OF CHARGE.

Shuttle Bus – Naas

A shuttle bus service will operate between Naas and the Punchestown Site over the course of the day. Buses will travel from site to Naas town centre via the R411 (Ballymore Eustace Road) through the town centre to the Drop Off / Pick Up Point at Kavanagh's Public House, Naas.

Bus Éireann

Bus Éireann will be accommodated in a designated area with a capacity for 64 spaces on site. A separate queuing system will be in place for patrons of this system that will be well lit and signposted.

Bus Éireann coaches will travel on dedicated routes and will receive priority both to / from the venue.

Dublin Bus

Dublin Bus has provided services to and from Punchestown events successfully over a number of years. They have extensive experience in catering for demand to and from the site. Demand from Dublin (Parnell Square) is managed and monitored throughout the event day. The number of buses serving the route is adjusted to match the demand.

An Garda Siochana and MCD (Event Promoters) wish to urge all patrons attending the event to use Public Transport.

Dublin Bus coaches will travel on dedicated routes and will receive priority both to / from the venue.

Private Coaches

Private coaches will be accommodated in a designated area with a capacity for 140 spaces on site. A separate queuing system will be in place for patrons of this system that will be well lit and signposted.

Private coaches will travel on dedicated routes and will receive priority both to / from the venue.

Drop-Off & Pick-Up Facilities – Taxi & Other

The only drop-off and pick-up facility for private cars and taxis at this event is at Goffs Park & Ride, Kill in the main Goffs car park off the internal roundabout. Access will be as per the Park & Ride access from the Kill Interchange.

Advance publicity will advise patrons that Drop Off and Pick Up facilities will not be provided at the event venue in Punchestown.

Vehicular Access for the Mobility Impaired

Parking for the Mobility Impaired will be provided in a designated area accessed through Gate 5 in the Red Car Park.

Blue Route

From N7 Southbound and M7 Northbound

1. Traffic from the M1, N2, N3 and N4 will travel via the M50 to the N7 (Dublin / Limerick Road). Traffic will travel from the N7 (Exit 9) into Naas and onto the Blessington Road via the R410 and onto Punchestown Racecourse.

2. Traffic travelling from South Dublin can travel via the N11, N81 (Tallaght / Blessington Rd) through Blessington (R410 and the follow direction signage to Punchestown Racecourse.

3. Traffic from the North / South East / South / South West intending to use the Park and Ride Facility will travel along the (M50, N7, N8, N9, M9, N80) M7 northbound / southbound to Exit 8 and follow directional signage to the park and ride site.

The Blue Car Park is approx. 1km down the Walshestown Road on the right hand side. Two site access gates will be used to filter traffic off the Walshestown Road, Gates 1c and 1b.

Red Route

From M7 / N9 / N81 Northbound / Southbound

1. Traffic travelling from South Dublin can travel via the N11, N81 (Tallaght / Blessington Rd) through Ballymore Eustace (R411) and the follow direction signage to Punchestown Racecourse.

2. Traffic from the South East (N9, N78, N80, M9) can travel via the Carlow or Athy routes through Kilcullen and onto the Naas Rd. At Mylerstown Cross (Naas to Kilcullen Rd) traffic will turn right and onto Punchestown Racecourse.

3. Traffic from the South / South West can travel via the N8, N7, M7 turning off at Naas South exit (Exit 10) and right at the top of the slip road onto the R445 towards Naas. On the R445, traffic will be directed right at the Jigginstown traffic lights onto the R447 (South Ring Road) and then the R448 (Kilcullen Road) to the L2023 (Rafferty's Mill to Watchouse Crossroads) and right to the Red Car Parks.

4. Traffic from the South East / South / South West intending to use the Park and Ride Facility will travel along the (N7, N8, N9, M9, N80) M7 northbound to Exit 8 and follow directional signage to the P & R site.

5. Traffic travelling from South East can travel via the N81 (Tullow / Blessington Rd) through Ballymore Eustace (R411) and the follow direction signage to Punchestown Racecourse.

The Red Car Park is located on the Ballymore Eustace Road, Naas (R411) approx. Four site access gates will be used to filter traffic into the Car Park.

Due to the Derby at the Curragh Racecourse, M7 Junction 12 (Curragh / Ballymany) will not be used for traffic to Punchestown. Traffic travelling northbound on the M7 will be directed to the Naas South (Junction 10) Interchange, and right at the top of the slip road onto the R445 towards Naas.

On the R445, traffic will be directed right at the Jigginstown traffic lights onto the R447 (South Ring Road) and then the R448 (Kilcullen Road) to the L2023 (Rafferty's Mill to Watchouse Crossroads) and right to the Red Car Parks. If the L2023 becomes congested, traffic from the R447 will be directed towards the R411 (Ballymore Eustace Road) to Watchouse Crossroads into the Red car park through Gate 7. Should a build up develop on the R411, traffic can be directed to Gate 4.

Traffic Issues

1. The Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby will take place on Sunday 28th June 2009 at The Curragh Racecourse, Newbridge, Co. Kildare. Traffic attending this event will share routes with the AC/DC Concert (N7 Northbound and Southbound). Traffic volumes for the Irish Derby is expected to peak for entry between 11am and 1pm and between 5pm and 7pm for exiting traffic.

Junction 12 N7 (Curragh / Ballymany) will not be used for traffic to attending the AC/DC Concert, Punchestown. Traffic travelling northbound on the M7 will be directed to the Naas South (Junction 10) Interchange, and follow directions.

2. A Charity Tractor Run will take place on Sunday 28th June 2009 at Blessington Co. Wicklow. Traffic attending this event will share routes with the AC/DC Concert traffic (N81 Southbound). Traffic volumes for the Charity Tractor Run is expected to peak in Blessington Village between 2pm and 4pm. Blessington Gardai will have diversions in place for concert traffic around the Blessington Ring Road. Traffic will be re-routed back onto the N81 southbound to continue onto the Ballymore Eustace turnoff for the event. On completion of the tractor run diversions will be lifted. Patrons will follow directional signage and Gardai will man the main junctions.

3. Parking and Traffic delays are inevitable with patrons strongly advised to use public transport to / from the event.

4. On site parking is limited and subject to a charge. Park and Ride Parking and Shuttle Buses are free.

5. On site car parks are adjacent to the event site and are in green field locations. There will be at least a 60 minute delay in exiting on site car parks at the end of concert as Public Transport, Coaches and Park and Ride Shuttles will be given priority.

Park & Ride

An Garda Siochana and MCD (Event Promoters) wish to urge all patrons attending the event to use the enhanced Park and Ride facilities available for this event. The Park and Ride facility has in excess of 6,000 car parking spaces on site with the ease of access / egress off the N7 network.

The Park and Ride facilities will be serviced by a dedicated fleet of coaches that will cater for all patrons needs. All Park and Ride coaches will travel on dedicated routes and will receive priority both to / from the venue.

The Park and Ride Centre will also be used for persons who wish to drop off and collect patrons attending the concert.

The park and ride facility will be FREE OF CHARGE and all shuttles to / from will be FREE OF CHARGE.

The park and ride facilities will be as follows;

Goffs, Kill, Co. Kildare.

Goffs (North) Park and Ride site is located approx. 5km north of Naas on the main Dublin to Naas Rd (N7) and accessed by travelling from North and Southbound Lanes via the Johnstown, Kill / Sallins Interchange, Exit 8 off the N7.

Goffs Park and Ride is intended to cater for traffic travelling from the North / North East / West (N1, N2, N3, M4 / N4, N7), the South East (N11, N81 via M50 and N7) and South / South East Dublin directions.

All vehicles will follow directional signage (VMS and finger post signage) from the N7 to the Park and Ride site and clearly follow Gardai / Car Parking directions on site.

Illegal Parking

No parking of vehicles will be permitted on any of the approach routes to this concert site on the days of the event. Parking restrictions will be in place on roads leading to the concert site. Vehicles found breaching the restrictions will be towed away and towing charges will be incurred in such cases.

Emergency Access Route

The Craddockstown Road, Naas has been designated as the event Emergency Route and will be manned at all times for the duration of the event. This route will be used by emergency vehicles and residents only. No other vehicles including taxis, buses etc will be allowed access this route.

All residents will have resident car passes, issued by An Garda Siochana, Naas.

Event Signage

All routes to / from the event site will have directional signage. The signs used for this event will be VMS (Variable Message Signs – Flashing Signs) and directional boards.

The signage will indicate Park and Ride Centre and also the RED and BLUE Car Park Routes.

All patrons attending are advised to pay attention to event signage and follow directions of Gardai and stewards when arriving and leaving the event site(s).

Garda Control Room

An Garda Siochana will have a Garda Control Room on site in Punchestown who will alert media in the event of any traffic alternations / disruptions during the course of the event.

The Garda Control Room Phone Number at Punchestown is 045- 839829

The Garda Control Room Phone Number at Naas Garda Station is 045- 884300

The information detailed above forms part of the overall Traffic Management Plan for this event. In the event of a major incident or any other unplanned disruption An Garda Siochana maintains the legal right to alternate / divert traffic as may be required. In such event alternate plans will be used and advice will be given to motorists using media facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The Blizzards as a replacement? WTF are the tools who decided that thinking of? I would sooner have a red hot poker shoved in my ears than endure them. They should move the Answer up the slot time to replace Lizzy and shove The Blizards on first. Sweet baby jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

They should move the Answer up the slot time to replace Lizzy and shove The Blizzards on first. Sweet baby jesus.

Agreed. That would be the obvious move. Makes more sense to have the support acts sequenced that way.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

damn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Surely there are some other irish rock/metal group they could have got that would have at least fitted the bill better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

The Blizzards??? Cannot believe that. Very inappropriate choice imo. Put a slight dampener on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Definately should move The Answer up in the billing and they should have got the likes of Glyder to support who would have fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hopefully the answer get bumped up to second and the blizzards open the show. That way i can get a few pints beforehand and miss that pile of ****e. The fvcking blizzards. SERIOUSLY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭barongreen

I,m gutted no lizzy and i only heard they were playin yesterday. deffo changing my plans now. looks like an evening traffic nightmare now as well. fcuk all people going to go early in the day now.

Yeh, I would have walked out to the venue while the Answer was on to be on time to see Lizzy, now its just gonna be a big wait around until 8.30 to see AC/DC.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

TICKETMASTER MAY GIVE REFUNDS

There was some gig I went to before with ticketmaster and a support act cancelled, I was able to ring up and part cancel my tickets, i.e. I think I got 4 and 2 people pulled out, they would have cancelled all 4 tickets if I wanted. i.e. This just took an easy phonecall, you ring and say the only reason you were going was to see thin lizzy. Though they did ask for the actual tickets to be sent or hand delivered back, we refused to do this (no time and a waste of time) and there was no problem.

This should mean the tickets will go back on sale on the website too, so easier for all parties.

Note I said MAY, if anybody rings please post the result either way.

lol NO WAY!!! Nothing will stop me going to see AC/DC

I have waited for this all my life!!!

Anyway Lizzy were not announced at the time of sale only afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

just bought a new digital camera, the one on my phone is rubbish. surely they cant just take it off you?? if they did, would they have to send it back to my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

man, thats a massive dissapointment about thin lizzy. Ah well, i'll probably forget about it when AC/DC come on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

That's my mind made up, Croker 4pm and then straight back to the car and off down the N7 and hope the traffic gets us there in time for 8.30pm.

Blizzards meh :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nwoicr

The Blizzards at AC/DC?????

Surely MCD can do better than that. What about all the Irish rock bands Glyder, Million Dollar Reload, Jaded Sun, Pat Mc Manus?

All these bands are touring outside of Ireland but cannot get a decent billing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

agree with all the posts about the blizzards...i was looking forward to seeing lizzy again, the answer i don't care for much, but the combo of lizzy, the answer and of course ac/dc worked well.

the blizzards as a replacement is such a joke..

the poster above me gave some great options for this kinda gig (pat mcmanus was a good one!), it would've served as a great stepping stone for glyder, but no, we get the 'trendy' blizzards. what about Therapy?

... i would've even settled for thin as lizzy

feckin blizzards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Can anybody else see this going the same way as linkin park/lostprophets when they supported metallica. I can't imagine 80,000 metalheads most of whom will have been drinking will exactly want to bop along to the blizzards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Can anybody else see this going the same way as linkin park/lostprophets when they supported metallica. I can't imagine 80,000 metalheads most of whom will have been drinking will exactly want to bop along to the blizzards. :)
    Yeah I'd be afraid for them. It's pretty straightforward MCD. A band that's been getting by playing Rag Week gigs is not the type of band that would suit a support slot for a metal band.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

hynesie08 wrote: »

Yea i have a feeling that they wont go down well at all . Everyone at the gig is there to see the greatest Rock N Roll band off all time . The Answer are a rock n roll band which i really like so they will be a great warm up , but now the Blizzards somehow got Thin Lizzys spot. As people are saying there are so many good irish bands around that actually play Rock N Roll and not corny pop tunes . Sure why not at the Script to the bill aswell ;) . I would love to see the blizzards get destroyed vocally when they come on . If they decide to put the Answer on before the Blizzards i will right an angry letter to MCD ;)

Advertisement