Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This forum.

Options
  • 19-06-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I think has gone to the dogs in recent weeks, nothing but trolling and things not even worth arguing!

Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

I think has gone to the dogs in recent weeks, nothing but trolling and things not even worth arguing!

Anyone else agree?

and this is really going to make the place more appealing...why didnt you just start a thread about something interesting instead of just pi**ing and moaning

Sunshine and lollipops and rainbows everywhere!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Berty4Mod ..........*rabble* *rabble*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

solice wrote: »
    and this is really going to make the place more appealing...why didnt you just start a thread about something interesting instead of just pi**ing and moaning

Sunshine and lollipops and rainbows everywhere!!!!

Beat me to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

To be fair it's not a mods job to steer a forum. Forums reflect thier posters. If you don't like the stuff that's posted post stuff you do like. If you think there are posters who are trolling then ignore them (it's the best way to make them go away)

EDIT: And this forum isn't *that* busy. 10 - 12 threads have been updated today. There are forums that have that many updated in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Berty wrote: »
    I would suggest that it requires more moderating.

This is not to say the moderating is below par. I have mentioned previously to the Category Moderator that, in my opinion, another 1 or even 2 more moderators are required to be directly involved in this forum.

There are other moderators on the list but I rarely see them. Zuroph frequents the forum but unfortunately zuroph is not a moderator in this forum.

Why do I think it needs more moderating?

I believe the Limerick forum is one of the busier regional forums outside of Dublin and as of late it seriously requires some higher levels of attention. Its needs to be steered in the right direction and a SWIFT and hard felt stick needs to be beaten around at trolling.

Not all moderators can be here all the time therefore trolls tend to get a good run in the regional forums.

I would not say the Forum has gone to the dogs, I just think it is slipping because it is now VERY busy.
    I despise back seat modding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

students are away, we dont have a common enemy to unite against ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

zuroph wrote: »
    students are away, we dont have a common enemy to unite against ;):p

Maybe that's why more students are posting.....and lowering the tone.;)

thats probably it. :p anyway, its us sneaky clare people clogging up the forum really :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What a welcoming thread.

I said it was a busy regional forum outside of the Dublin forum.

I was not backseat modding. I was suggesting new mods.

I did not try to elect myself as a MOD. If i have a problem with a post I report it and invariably Mr E turns up to bash some heads.

I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If i have a problem with a post I report it and invariably Mr E turns up to bash some heads.

Not fast enough obviously?

• Advertisement

lol, walked into that one.

Board doesnt need another mod IMO, its running fine, its just a bit of a dull period at the moment.

Mr E wrote: »
    Not fast enough obviously?

Definition of Invariably

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/invariably

So you will find I meant (and said) that you do reply fast.

lol, walked into that one.

Board doesnt need another mod IMO, its running fine, its just a bit of a dull period at the moment.

^^^^As above ,walked into nothing.

Well if the Mod still believe it does not then so be it.

Trolls will thrive.

see, thats a little hypocritical in that u expect trolls will thrive but that would be because the mods wont react quick enough, which you say they do so???????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I think the modding is top notch here and they have to deal with some amount of rubbish of late, and in doing so for me anyways have done a bang up job.

Mr E is always on line seemingly and so is The Squid.

Its unfortunate the forum is attracting trolls and in general crap but the mods do there utmost to keep the place in check. Bringing in more mods is not going to stop Trolls or the rubbish they spread everywhere.

For me the forum is very well moderated.

Keep up the good work Mr E and Squid!

see, thats a little hypocritical in that u expect trolls will thrive but that would be because the mods wont react quick enough, which you say they do so???????

What do you consider a fast response time in a forum where somebody devotes their time for free?

Apparently an appropriate response time is 24 hours or so which is now my opinion of what is acceptable.

Yet still, 24 hours is a long time for trolls and urchins to run riot in a forum.

Mods are not here 24 hours a day. Right at this moment there are 0 Mods in the Limerick City Forum.

What do you consider a fast response time in a forum where somebody devotes their time for free?

Apparently an appropriate response time is 24 hours or so which is now my opinion of what is acceptable.

Yet still, 24 hours is a long time for trolls and urchins to run riot in a forum.

Mods are not here 24 hours a day. Right at this moment there are 0 Mods in the Limerick City Forum.
    If there are posters trolls posting in the forum, its up to regular posters not to feed the troll, and ignore them.

Its as simple as that.

Chong wrote: »
    If there are posters trolls posting in the forum, its up to regular posters not to feed the troll, and ignore them.

Its as simple as that.

In a perfect world that would be true but................this is not. Look at the forum of late.

In a perfect world that would be true but................this is not. Look at the forum of late.
    Seriously Berty , this is an internet forum , there is no need to take it so seriously.

Trolling happens the whole time , throwing mods at the issue wont solve it.

The more Mods , the more time and effort is wasted trying to contend with trolls and spam.

You really shouldn't take the web so seriously berty. people having some fun on the forum is not a bad thing.

I
    With the introduction of the infraction system, there hasn't been a need to hand out bans every five minutes, If we were to ban the author of every post you have reported the forum would be the quietest one on the site I can assure you.

Anyway, this isn't the proper place for this thread. but in the interest of fairness, I will allow it for people to say what they have to say before I lock it in 24 hours.

• Advertisement

Being a moderator doesn't mean that we have to read every single post on every thread, going "thats ok, thats ok, thats ok, thats ok, hmm borderline, thats ok, thats ok, infraction, thats ok, thats ok, thats ok...."

Nobody has time to do that (much as we'd like to).

We rely on the level-headed contributors on the forum to use the Report Post function to notify us if something bad has been posted, or if someone is stirring the hornets nest, or someone is brewing up a big ol' cauldron of troll bait.

I think you'll find that Billy or I will react pretty quickly if a post is reported. We're not always waiting for reported posts either - we can be proactive as well as reactive (Billy closed a thread during the week at 5am... I mean, WTF? :)). Remember - not all reported posts warrant action. Some are just handy to give us a heads-up on threads that could go south, and some reported posts are pretty harmless and probably an overreaction.

As a mod, I think I'm more passive than aggressive. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and let a thread develop organically (as long as it stays vaguely on topic!). I think its more interesting for everyone if they can say what they want to say (obviously without going down racial/libel paths).

I don't know what else to say, really....

If you don't like the way a thread is going, Report the Post.
    If you think someone is trolling, Report the Post.
    If you just want us to keep an eye on something or someone, Report the Post.

Thanks for reading.

Mr E wrote: »

If you don't like the way a thread is going, Report the Post.
    If you think someone is trolling, Report the Post.
    If you just want us to keep an eye on something or someone, Report the Post.

As all the recent replies have been about me I will assume the Mr E reply is directed at me.

^^^ Above:

Do I not do this?

You have chosen to offend my intelligence and patronise me so I will let you have your fun and call this a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

In all fairness though, they're aint much going on in Limerick lately (on a positive scale).

Very little developments, new shopping centres, new bars or other things opening.

No festivals for the forseeable future

Limerick's been fair quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

might not be a festival - but it'll get you out of the house tomorrow evening - Limerick racecourse dot i/e

or

http://www.scottmaydaredevil.co.uk

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If it were not for all the "Limerick is full of scobes" threads it would not be so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

As all the recent replies have been about me I will assume the Mr E reply is directed at me.

^^^ Above:

Do I not do this?

You have chosen to offend my intelligence and patronise me so I will let you have your fun and call this a day.

I was wondering who was reporting all the posts!! tut tut berty!!

^^^ Above:

Do I not do this?

Oh FFS, Berty, take that stick out of your ass, willl you? I'm addressing the point about the board needing more moderation. It doesn't. You report posts regularly, and we appreciate it.

I can't win. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

This board is very well moderated, especially compared to other boards Forums.

There is always going to be a certain about of messing/trolling and sometimes it can actually liven the place up a bit. It's very boring if everybody just agrees with each other the whole time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

You gotta be joking Bertie?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I don't think this forum needs more mods,we have 3 mods not including myself.This forum has just under 35k posts.The Cork City forum has just over 30k posts and has 1 mod again not including myself.

For your argument to hold water you will need to point to a reported post or 2 that were not acted on in a timely manner.We dont add mods for the sake of it.

Advertisement