Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Just finished Heavier than heaven the Kurt Cobain biography. Heavy allright. Enjoyed it but I've been a fan for a very long time and I found it fairly well crafted if a little sycophantic. Now to returns to the masters reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

The gathering by Anne Enright

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Niccolò Machiavelli The Prince

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

John wrote: »
    Niccolò Machiavelli The Prince

Not nearly as extreme as we like to think. Think of him as a mere political scientist... Someone who has examined and analysed human behaviour and decided to inform his prince on the best methods of rule, from a purely subjective point of view... Or as a true Republican - his love of liberty is in equal measure to his love and recognisation of the necessity for law and order, hence 'the Prince'.

I'd reccomend reading some of the scholarship behind the Prince when your finished, like Mary Diatz or Isiah Berlin. The Prince is after all a primary historical document as well as a contemporary political pamphlet - trying to understand primary documents is pointless without a broad understanding of the historical context of the document, which is rarely ever presented along with it. Unless you got a copy with a decent introduction.

I loved Machiavelli once...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Denerick wrote: »
    Not nearly as extreme as we like to think.
    especially when you consider the norms in warfare at the time.

Great book must re-read it again.
    TBH Bush should have been made read the bits about New Princes before the invasion.

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    Not nearly as extreme as we like to think. Think of him as a mere political scientist... Someone who has examined and analysed human behaviour and decided to inform his prince on the best methods of rule, from a purely subjective point of view... Or as a true Republican - his love of liberty is in equal measure to his love and recognisation of the necessity for law and order, hence 'the Prince'.

Yeah, I was expecting it to be completely cut-throat but it is remarkably tame, even by today's standards.
    I'd reccomend reading some of the scholarship behind the Prince when your finished, like Mary Diatz or Isiah Berlin. The Prince is after all a primary historical document as well as a contemporary political pamphlet - trying to understand primary documents is pointless without a broad understanding of the historical context of the document, which is rarely ever presented along with it. Unless you got a copy with a decent introduction.

I loved Machiavelli once...

Any particular book you'd recommend for someone mostly ignorant of history?

Now reading:
    Mark Haddon The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

This is a good start (Berlin is one of my favourite writers)

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/10391

'Niccolo's Smile', or whatever it is actually called, is probably the best biography of Machiavelli. I read sections of it, you learn to do that in a history course. Very informative.

Cheers, will have a gander at that tomorrow during my break.

Thomas Ligotti My Work is Not Yet Done

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

The Kill Call by Stephen Booth; its the latest in the excellent Cooper & Fry series

Was a nice warm day today and started reading William Kennedy's Ironweed out in the sun. About 40 pages left which I'll read before I go to bed.

All in all I'm a little disappointed because I heard this was supposed to be a great book. Distinctly average in my view. Decent, and some parts of it are certainly gripping but its just... lacking something I can't put my finger on. Will have a better idea when I finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Richy165

The Book of Dave by Will Self. I finished Grey Area last week, and after that I'm going to read Under The Greenwood Tree but Thomas Hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I made myself get through a Patricia Cornwell novel last week and now I sort of know how Morgan Spurlock must have felt when he made Supersize Me.

What is it with modern crime writers and their complete inability to punctuate effectively or come up with characters who are more than one-dimensional?

I'm back on a more healthy diet this week, reading Donna Tartt's The Little Friend...an amazing buke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Now starting The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks. Already giving the impression it'll be a gudun!

I have this book, got it as a present, so I have to read it. But it's a horror so I'm afraid to start.

How would you describe the levels of "horror" in it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

raah! wrote: »
    I have this book, got it as a present, so I have to read it. But it's a horror so I'm afraid to start.

It's been a very long time since I read it but I can't remember it being a "horror"
    It is quite dark but not what you'd called a classic horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Ah good stuff, dark is fine, but I have a strong distaste for horrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DroghedaColeen

again and again, she keeps churning out stuff people want...
    She's also trying to make it in the States, and no doubt she will - they're already on about her.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/ent/Marian-Keyes-wins-Irelands-Popular-Fiction-Book-of-the-Year--44718962.html?page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

raah! wrote: »

It's definitely not a horror, it is brilliant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Devices and Desires - K.J. Parker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Wormwood - G. P. Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Book 6 of 7 of Saga of the 7 suns by Kevin J Anderson

bloody excellent read

i love war/alien space operas.. do YOU know of any more?

Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Quicksilver by Neil Stephenson

Been on my bookshelf for years and I have never read it for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I left my Shakespeare collection in my mothers house, I have started to bring it my home one book at a time, reading it in the process. It was time to start again, whilst I have read the full collection once I have read my favorites nemerous times. So in the past few weeks I have read Romeo and Julite and Henry V. Currently I'm reading Henry IV Part one.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

Revelation - C.J Sansom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Consfessions of an Economic Hitman - John Perkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

No Lovelier Death - Graham Hurley. (It's the latest in the DI Joe Faraday series which is excellent and based in Portsmouth)

• Advertisement

Henry James The Turn of the Screw and Other Stories

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement