Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hold Insurance

Options
  • 17-06-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

A few months ago my brother and I were moving a 50" Plasma TV. Long story short we had an accident and the TV wasn't working when we tried to turn it on. Having house insurance I contacted the company and they arranged for the TV to be collected to be checked over before paying out on the policy.
    This is were my problems began..I was informed that what was wrong with the TV was due to normal ware and so not covered by insurance. The TV is only about a year and a half old and as such I was NOT satisfied with this. I then was advised to contact the manufacturer..which I did only to be told that the TV was outside the normal warranty and so not covered. They would fix it FOR A PRICE.:eek:
    What I am wondering is, Am I just being passed off by both companies or do I have any way of getting this sorted without paying anything more?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭fiveeuros

any appliance which is only a little over a year old shoould not malfunction...get your retailer to recommend a service agent and pay if neccessary....when you have paid take case to the small claims court (which costs 15euro) and claim back the cost you are covered under eu law which states that any appliance should have a reasonable life span up to ten years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ordin73 wrote: »
    A few months ago my brother and I were moving a 50" Plasma TV. Long story short we had an accident and the TV wasn't working when we tried to turn it on.
    Define 'accident'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you are being fobbed off by your insurance company! they most likely say that any tv should last only a year in these cases so they can claim normal wear and tear and escape paying out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ordin73

As we carried the tv up the stairs "someone" let it slip, slamming the screen side against a stairs. No visible damage but as I said the Tv didn't work when we tested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Get a second and even third opinion on this then if insurance company are wrong on both occasions charge them also the amount it cost to get those opinions. However, it has been discussed extensively over the last few weeks that under EU law you are entitled to 2 years warranty. So if you have your receipt I would take this to the manufacturer if it is normal wear and tear.

Also Plasma tv's work off gas and can be very easily damaged. When I went to buy mine I got insurance with it. I remember my dad saying, sure you dont need that my mate said...... but the sales guy kept re-itterating how easily damaged they were so we went ahead and bought the insurance. A few months later my dad's plasma burned out out of warranty! The mate was wrong!

• Advertisement

Ordin73 wrote: »
    As we carried the tv up the stairs "someone" let it slip, slamming the screen side against a stairs. No visible damage but as I said the Tv didn't work when we tested it.
    So you broke your TV? Is that actually covered by your insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ordin73

dahamsta wrote: »
    So you broke your TV? Is that actually covered by your insurance?
    As per my house hold insurance policy document, I am covered for accidental damage such as this.:cool:

Cool policy, who's it with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

If you have accidental damage then it is covered, however some companies differentiate between acc dam to the buildings and the contents.

In many cases acc dam to buildings is covered automatically...

However, in some cases acc dam to contents is an optional extra, but as you say you have it then it should be covered, just double check it...

In fact, what you have described is how sales people define acc dam

ie " say if ye droppped yer tv yada yada yade"

There are some criteria,

obviously ye have to have an insurable interest in the item, eg is it your tv.

and also did the incident occur on your property

While there is also cover available for stuff outside the home, this is designed for jewellry and golf clubs ie stuff that leaves the property on a regular basis and would need to be specified, no one really specifies a tv for cover beyond the property because well lets face it your not likely to bring a tv to the shops with ye or on holiday...

If ye have acc dam cover to contents and the accident in question occured on your property then insurance company are taking you for a ride,

Just ring up and say you wish to make an accidental damage claim and take no for an answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like the insurance company are fobbing you off. Press them on it and they will likely cave. If you go back to the manufacturer, and they find out it was damaged (which they will when they open it up) you'll get nowhere.

Even though it's outside 1 year, you're still covered as Irish law states that everything should last for a reasonable length of time. A Plasma TV should last longer than 12 months, unless the manufacturer want to go on the record and state that their products are so crap that they don't.

Get back on to the insurance company though, tell them you want the TV back so you can have it checked independently, and if you find that it's damaged, you'll be claiming for the cost of having it tested too. If they think they'll have to pay out even more money, they'll pay the lesser amount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement