Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just what O'Connell St needs - "Hanratty's open as an hostel for asylum seekers"

Options
  • 16-06-2009 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Hanratty39s-open-as-an-hostel.5343901.jp

Published Date: 08 June 2009
    By Anne Sheridan

CLYDE House has now ceased to operate as an asylum seekers hostel, after residents were told on Saturday morning that they were to move within the next day to Hanratty's on Glentworth Street.
    A total of 104 residents, which hail from a variety of backgrounds, yesterday made the move to Hanratty's, one of the oldest hotels in Limerick which has undergone a recent €4m refurbishment with the addition of 30 rooms.

Nigel O'Brien, manager of Hanratty's asylum centre, said the move went very smoothly and all residents are happy with their new accommodation.

"Everybody is very pleased with it (the new centre], it's great. Everything went very smoothly and there was minimal disruption caused to local residents and businesses," said Mr O'Brien.

He said all residents have now moved to Hanratty's, which he added "is a more comfortable centre and better equipped" than Clyde House.

In January, the Department for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government allocated €12.6m for the purchase and refurbishment of Clyde House to be used as a homeless centre where people are allowed drink alcohol, which residents are citing their opposition to.

But residents in the area claim the location is not suitable due of the proximity of several schools, a college, churches, pubs, off-licences and businesses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

it's not on O'Connell Street...... There is already a refugee place next to Sarsfield bridge, which is prob closer to O'Connell street.... thats not doing anymore harm to O' Connell street then was already being done to it by local scum....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Add that to the long list of idiotic decisons made regarding the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

baza1976 wrote: »
    it's not on O'Connell Street...... There is already a refugee place next to Sarsfield bridge, which is prob closer to O'Connell street.... thats not doing anymore harm to O' Connell street then was already being done to it by local scum....

Not quite but juat around the corner from O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sure,why dont we throw them all out on the streets...thatd make things so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Nigel O'Brien, manager of Hanratty's asylum centre, said the move went very smoothly and all residents are happy with their new accommodation.

"Everybody is very pleased with it (the new centre], it's great. Everything went very smoothly and there was minimal disruption caused to local residents and businesses," said Mr O'Brien.

He said all residents have now moved to Hanratty's, which he added "is a more comfortable centre and better equipped" than Clyde House.

Of course they are ****ing happy with it, they are asylum seekers, in the most non-racist way possible they should live in what ever accomodation they are given. In the economic climate we have at the moment, it is a joke to be sepnding 12 million + on a centre for non-irish people!!

What ever happened to looking after your own?
    When was the last shelter built for homeless irish people in Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

alan1990 wrote: »
    Of course they are ****ing happy with it, they are asylum seekers, in the most non-racist way possible they should live in what ever accomodation they are given. In the economic climate we have at the moment, it is a joke to be sepnding 12 million + on a centre for non-irish people!!

I can answer that for you:
    Published Date: 08 June 2009
    By Anne Sheridan
    CLYDE House has now ceased to operate as an asylum seekers hostel, after residents were told on Saturday morning that they were to move within the next day to Hanratty's on Glentworth Street.
    A total of 104 residents, which hail from a variety of backgrounds, yesterday made the move to Hanratty's, one of the oldest hotels in Limerick which has undergone a recent €4m refurbishment with the addition of 30 rooms.

In January, the Department for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government allocated €12.6m for the purchase and refurbishment of Clyde House to be used as a homeless centre where people are allowed drink alcohol, which residents are citing their opposition to.

But residents in the area claim the location is not suitable due of the proximity of several schools, a college, churches, pubs, off-licences and businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Nothing has been built yet though has it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Nothing has been built yet though has it??

Clyde House is already built and will be refurbished as a homeless shelter. You said it was a joke that 12.6m was being spent on non irish people. The money is being spent on irish people, not on the asylum seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There are actually very few homeless people in Limerick. Most are able to avail of sheltered accommodation of some sort or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do you know what?

I want my money back in the sense that I want the Dept of the Heritage to get their money back.

Whats wrong with hiring a plane and carting them out of the country?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Another ridiculous decision. Sure when they moved the last bunch of asylum seekers into the Sarsfield Hotel, they were refusing to use the toothpaste because it wasn't "good enough". The only thing good enough for them is a ****ing plane back to where they came from. What an absolute waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Berty wrote: »
    Do you know what?

I want my money back in the sense that I want the Dept of the Heritage to get their money back.

Whats wrong with hiring a plane and carting them out of the country?

Didn't the Dept of Heritage buy Clyde house for Irish homeless?

Where should we cart the Irish homeless? Is there a desperate shortage of them in some other country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

lol limerick is real boring, could do with a bit of diversity. btw u people suck you are making it out these people are not entitled to be here without knowing anything, what if they're all from a war thorn region of sudan? what a kip your town is, morons.

i'd glady welcome these people in dublin :)

'Own'? Who are they? In your local community? city? country? europe? world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Its a joke.I walked past the other centre on Alphonus street many times and you seen all the asylum parking up their cars on the street,coming and going from the centre,if they have cars they must be working illegally.Walk past Hanrattys in the future and you will see this in motion and gangs of them hanging around like a ghetto.Should be kept in enclosed compounds and processed and shipped out with in a month

lol limerick is real boring, could do with a bit of diversity. btw u people suck you are making it out these people are not entitled to be here without knowing anything, what if they're all from a war thorn region of sudan? what a kip your town is, morons.

i'd glady welcome these people in dublin :)

You know what? I couldn't give a flying **** where they come from, I don't want to be footing the bill for them to be here. Thats the problem with people. They're all so politcally correct they actually think everyone else gives a **** as well.

And as for calling people morons, you might be best learning some grammar and sentence structure yourself...moron.

As for Dublin...its makes perfect sense that you're from there considering your sheer arrogance. Truth be told, you're living in the biggest kip in Ireland kiddo, but keep it quiet so you can dream on eh?

what a ****ing knobend u are.

dublin beats any of the other **** 'cities' that ireland has, i mean i'd be thankful that anyone even wants to be in your city, let alone live in it. i mean limerick i actually went into it one day with a couple of the lads and we were like the state of this kip.

dublin is bigger, more diverse, more fun, better options, more open-minded, just everything, dublin isn't meant to be donegal, it looks and feel like a city and i'm so thankful to be from here. i'd probably kill myself if i was from your hellhole.

i would say limerick is always in dublins shadow but that would be giving limerick too much attention which frankly limerick does not warrant.

the way ur sounding off you'd think limerick was full of asylum seekers, lmao, i live in the part of dublin(and definetly ireland also) where the highest ammount of immigrants live.

what a ****ing knobend u are.

Ok, we've discovered you are under 10 years old.
    dublin beats any of the other **** 'cities' that ireland has, i mean i'd be thankful that anyone even wants to be in your city, let alone live in it. i mean limerick i actually went into it one day with a couple of the lads and we were like the state of this kip.

Sorry, 7 years old.
    dublin is bigger, more diverse, more fun, better options, more open-minded, just everything, dublin isn't meant to be donegal, it looks and feel like a city and i'm so thankful to be from here. i'd probably kill myself if i was from your hellhole.

i would say limerick is always in dublins shadow but that would be giving limerick too much attention which frankly limerick does not warrant.

the way ur sounding off you'd think limerick was full of asylum seekers, lmao, i live in the part of dublin(and definetly ireland also) where the highest ammount of immigrants live.

Sorry you must be 4. Are you ****ting on your own yet? Its best if you give me a phone number so I can call your mammy and tell her to take you away from the PC, because you're making an absolute clown out of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

you know what...... some of these comments don't even deserve a reply....

no your typical, consumed by yourself, its all me me me me me. its you who is the clown darkjager, not me. open your eyes FFS. although i guess limerick people have never been know for their tolerance ;)

• Advertisement

no your typical, consumed by yourself, its all me me me me me. its you who is the clown darkjager, not me. open your eyes FFS

You've very clearly displayed yourself as the ultimate clown with your above posts. I have nothing further to say to such a comedian.

Yeah right, good cop out. :rolleyes:

you limerick people will probably just burn them out or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

markopantelic infracted for breach of charter.

Edit: Still shooting your mouth off? Bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Back on topic, why do we put them up in city centre hotels? Do we really except them to go to the shops one day and actually come back? Surely they should be kept in come type of closed community where they are free to 'commune' in a relatively secure area until their application is porcessed. Anyway, what type of place for kids is a city centre hotel?

What will people with no means so in Limerick all day? Add to the various loiterers we already have? The difference being ours are doing anything to get out of Limerick, the asylum seekers are doing their best to get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Yip Yip...Lets lock them all up into a field...oh...we cant because they haven't done anything illegal and that would make them prisoners...but but we could call them detainees rather than prisoners....yeah or or or how about insurgents...nice word that....makes em sound inhuman....

I wonder if they were caucasoid would there be as many with the attitude of some of the posters here.

Thankfully this attitude is a minority.

JTfan wrote: »
    I don't care what happens in Stab City.....I just want to make up 25 posts.

Another comedian. Who took the retard block off Boards tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

JTFan's posts deleted. Go and post your crap somewhere else.
    Postcount -3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ok Reality here folks.

Look at the Eglinton hotel in Salthill Galway. I cannot believe the audasity of them to continue to have the word hotel above their door.

It is a disastrous place and a boil on the face of Galway.

BTW, we do have a "commune" but because WE, as a nation, are stupid enough to allow them claim asylum at our ports we have to pay our TAX's to house them.

"What is your purpose of visit?"
    "Asylum, I will be killed if I go home"
    "Sorry, not a good enough reason, go home"

We need stringent visas to stop this ridiculous attitude. We are not the dumping ground of underdeveloped nations.

If I go to the US and say I want Asylum because I will die of starvation and homelessness here in Ireland because the Government took away the employment(greed) and I lost my house because of over inflation the property market(greed, do you think they will give a rats?

But If I tell them I have make up some children and say they will be mutilated, will I get in?

Long Story short(as usual)

Stop giving them places to live! Get rid of them!

No work visa - Out!

Oh I lost my passport(tore up on the flight over or flushed down aircraft toilet)- GET OUT!

This hostel is not good enough for me and I want a hotel. GET OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Mr E wrote: »
    JTFan's posts deleted. Go and post your crap somewhere else.
    Postcount -3.

Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Two former city centre hotels now asylum centres. It's a sad development and only heightens instances of ghetto culture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement