Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Options

Comments

Onkle wrote: »
    By who?

By the people they moderate. I was under the impression that was their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

By the people they moderate. I was under the impression that was their job.
    Best on the site though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Boston wrote: »
    Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out lads. If anyone is to blame it's you useless excuses for moderators. Especially KevIRL. I read your post saying it was ok to troll TCN. You're not fit to mod any forum on boards.ie.

This is not Devores fault, it's the "bad apples" and the moderators who allow it to happen. This victimisation bint you're on isn't winning anyone over. Why don't you do like you comrades did and fall on your own sword, at least that would show you taking some responsibility.

Ironic considering the lack of judgement from the poker forum mods.

Nah, I recon all the mods should be demodded, the thread restored and the trolling users site banned.

This I will NEVER stand for... the moderation by the mods in the poker forum has probably been the best modding of anywhere I've ever seen

DEV for gods sake come on and stand up for DOM/STE/KEV/Lloyd you know these guys and the job they have done.. BE A MAN and BE COUNTED and come on here and defend your mods and you will get some respect from me...

then deal with the BBV issue

By who? I would say allowing a raid on another forum was pretty bad on the part of the mods tbh. I know if I tried something like that in say the noc forum my ass would be booted out of there quicker than I could blink.

Kinetic was backing up what had already been stated by the poker mods. I didn't see any poker mods online or taking action when Kinetic carried out his duty. And how do you know that posts were not reported?
    I don't think that Kinetic just decided to throw himself in there and throw his weight around

edit: this thread is moving fast. That'll learn me to go to the jacks while typing a reply

view my OP in this thread please.. was part of his job to delete a valid viewpoint and any attempt to discuss the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

You guys just don't recognises how truely reprehensibly your actions where.
    They weren't our actions.

• Advertisement

I love the may you guys constantly accuse the Admins of making a mistake without recognising the ones committed by the poker forum regulars and the mods.

Eh...this is total nonsense frankly.

Numerous posters have stated that the people who went into TCN should be punished. In fact, as I was one of those people, I said in my Help Desk thread;
    I freely hold my hand up and say that my post in the Cuckoo's Nest thread was completely out of line, as were the posts of a great number of other poker forum posters. This was done for no other reason than we believed, in our arrogance perhaps, that the "Let's Count to a Million" thread was something to be mocked. Regardless, our actions were wrong and deserve punishment. However to punish the entire forum (BBV is the most viewed thread on the entire site after all) seems somewhat disproportionate to the crime.

I would freely accept a ban from poker, or indeed a site ban, for whatever the admins thought was a reasonable amount of time to reconcile my actions. I am sure many if not all of the other offenders would do the same so that we could restore the BBV to its former pride of place at the top of the Poker Forum.

So where exactly is there a refusal to take responsibility? Nobody is saying there should be no repercussions, they are saying that the repercussions should fall upon the shoulders of those responsible and not, through some artificial logic that spreads the blame as far as possible, to the poker forum at large.

That thread was the heart of the poker forum and Dev, at the very least, knew that. He was involved, and often still is involved, enough to recognise the connection many people feel for that thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out lads. If anyone is to blame it's you useless excuses for moderators. Especially KevIRL. I read your post saying it was ok to troll TCN. You're not fit to mod any forum on boards.ie.

This is not Devores fault, it's the "bad apples" and the moderators who allow it to happen. This victimisation bint you're on isn't winning anyone over. Why don't you do like you comrades did and fall on your own sword, at least that would show you taking some responsibility.

Nah, I recon all the mods should be demodded, the thread restored and the trolling users site banned.

Maybe there is some truth to all this anti-poker forum conspiracy. i can't beleive the reaction this is getting from people who don't use the poker forum or the count to million thread.

And the generalisations are just mindblowing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Truly disgusting post imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

By who? I would say allowing a raid on another forum was pretty bad on the part of the mods tbh. I know if I tried something like that in say the noc forum my ass would be booted out of there quicker than I could blink.
    I agree completely. Kev's post saying it was ok to raid that thread was indeed inappropriate, but why am I being punished for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

OK so the guilty parties are:

The guys who posted in the counting thread.
    All the poker forum mods(not one or two, ALL of them) because they would all have known exactly what was happening right away
    Every single person who reads or posts in the poker forum.

EDIT: I assume any posters of TCN forum who saw the offending posts reported it. I assume any who didn't will be punished.

• Advertisement

Best on the site though?

It was Forum of the Year last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Macspower wrote: »
    view my OP in this thread please.. was part of his job to delete a valid viewpoint and any attempt to discuss the matter?

Yes it was as an admin had already stated in the thread that those discussions were not to take place in that thread.

There is no freedom on speech on this site, we all only have what privileges the admins allow us and if DeV said that such discussions were verboten in that thread then that's and the cat mod and forum mods are meant to tow that line
    and argue against it where such discussions are allowed.

Yes a block vote was put together by the poker posters and they swept the awards, they are an organised community when they want to be.

I read it. He only hints at stepping down.

I love the may you guys constantly accuse the Admins of making a mistake without recognising the ones committed by the poker forum regulars and the mods. I don't post in poker, so why should I care more about the poker forum then TCN? Why is the the poker forum's community more important then the one that exists there? Both communities where initially seeded by DeVore, and I sure there are plenty who poored alot of themselves into the TCN. You guys just don't recognises how truely reprehensibly your actions where. There's enought people on the outside of boards trying to rip it apart without those supposedly at the core trying as well. Somewhere along the lines you forgot you were part of a larger community, you stopped giving a ****e about that community, and now we're deaf to you and your needs, just like you were to us.

Man, you have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody is defending the attack on TCN, many of us have stated that it was wrong and some of those responsible have apologised publically for their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair Karl, it was only when a couple of people offered that they "don't care" about other forums or didn't feel like they could be arsed reporting posts because, "that's not my job", that (to me) they illustrated the kind of mindset which allowed the incident to take place. If they're representative of the community's mindset, then we have a problem and I'm going to point out that problem.
    I disagree that the bystander effect is relevant in the case of reporting posts, but that's a discussion for a different thread :)

Fair enough, if people do say they don't care, but I still don't consider it fair to say that the community is to blame here, and that it should be their responsibility to police themselves. You can't require people to care about every other little facet of boards, and I'll be honest with you, there's about a bazillion forums here that I don't care about either.

Now, I am of the opinion that this really is a storm in a teacup, but it's the admins storm. I think you guys have made a mistake here, and I think what you should be doing is working to restore the original BBV thread, instead of blaming this particular community.

I'll re-iterate what I said earlier, boards is as much its users as anything else.

You've already had mods hang up their modships over this, you've got a lot of people who are angered, so whether or not you think that the thread itself is an issue doesn't matter, that's out of your hands. Your actions are ostracizing and alienating a whole bunch of users and mods, so it is an issue whether you want to believe it or not. Now Janeybabe said something earlier about caring about boards well being, I think it's the admins that may need to take a step back and carefully consider the well being of boards. You've done something that a large part of boards feels was wrong, and this should be addressed.

Come on admins, if the thread doesn't really matter, then it's no skin of your necks to restore it.

And I know, it's not a lolcat, but...

angered_the_badger.jpg

fatguy wrote: »
    I agree completely. Kev's post saying it was ok to raid that thread was indeed inappropriate, but why am I being punished for it?
    I'd have thought a fresh start would be the way to go. Gets rid of the stigma now attached to the old thread.

I mean 4 of the mods have stepped down so why not let the new mods guide the new thread the way they see fit. I mean, the old thread isn't gone altogether, it's still there, still readable just locked and in a different place. Yo have a new one new, use it and take this as a lesson, report posts and don't encourage childish behaviour.

And Fatguy I'm not saying you encouraged behaviour or didn't report posts, what I'm saying os maybe in future the community as a whole will be more proactive in maintaining the integrity of your forum.

FWIW I am a lurker on the Poker forum, lurk there quite a bit actually

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

How come Karl Hungus seems to be the only mod or admin who seems to be taking a rational non biased view here.

And? Does that mean it has the best mods on the site? I would say PI or the old motors guys (Unkel, Peasant) those guy were machines and it's taking five of us to do what those two were doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

This I will NEVER stand for... the moderation by the mods in the poker forum has probably been the best modding of anywhere I've ever seen

DEV for gods sake come on and stand up for DOM/STE/KEV/Lloyd you know these guys and the job they have done.. BE A MAN and BE COUNTED and come on here and defend your mods and you will get some respect from me...

then deal with the BBV issue

Why would he stand behind the mods. It's there fault.
    fatguy wrote: »
    They weren't our actions.

Hey I agree that only the mods and trolls should be punished.
    Hyzepher wrote: »
    Maybe there is some truth to all this anti-poker forum conspiracy. i can't beleive the reaction this is getting from people who don't use the poker forum or the count to million thread.

And the generalisations are just mindblowing

Perhaps it's because I care about boards in general and not just my small little part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'd have thought a fresh start would be the way to go. Gets rid of the stigma now attached to the old thread.

I mean 4 of the mods have stepped down so why not let the new mods guide the new thread the way they see fit. I mean, the old thread isn't gone altogether, it's still there, still readable just locked and in a different place. Yo have a new one new, use it and take this as a lesson, report posts and don't encourage childish behaviour.

And Fatguy I'm not saying you encouraged behaviour or didn't report posts, what I'm saying os maybe in future the community as a whole will be more proactive in maintaining the integrity of your forum.

Are you kidding.

A fresh start can be the way to go as regards new rules or whatever but we are not 12, taking away our thread isnt going to teach us a lesson, we just wont post on boards anymore.

99% of the forum didnt see these posts till the next morning, how can we have reported it!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Seamus : Who are all the people you think should have reported these posts?

Firstly as Karl Hungus has pointed out people are not required to report posts. Lets take it from your standpoint that it may not be required but it does reflect badly on the community as a whole. How many people do you actually think are at fault here ?

Just to give some idea of how many people would have been involved. It was a friday night so i would say less than 10% of usual BBV crowd are in the thread. Of these people that did not report it how many do you think would have seen the going's on ? Now of the people that actually did see what happened how many do you think actually attached any significance to it ?

I was in the thread that night and while i had a look at the first few posts messing with the post count i thought "meh" and went on with watching the build up to the Laker's game. This was me actually looking at it as a non-event rather than me proactively not reporting something.

The % of people actually involved here is tiny. Also factoring in that no one is implicitly obligated to report anything i fail to see why the forum as a whole was punished.

Also as someone pointed out in the poker forum this seems odd.
    Whatever trouble reinstating 70K posts might cause it will be as nothing to what will happen when try to manage a thread that was created for no other purpose than to accumulate one million posts.

Opr

And? Does that mean it has the best mods on the site? I would say PI or the old motors guys (Unkel, Peasant) those guy were machines and it's taking five of us to do what those two were doing

Ok lads, relax.

The lads modded poker excellently. Many people are lining up behind them in support and we are proud of them. Perhaps it is hyperbolic to state they are the best on the site but maybe it is not. There is no real litmus test to determine the answer so it's a pointless issue. Let's focus on the real issue eh?

Perhaps it's because I care about boards in general and not just my small little part of it.

That's really unfair and biased. Many of the poker forum users post and lurk all over boards. The majority of the mods are happy to moderate more than one forum. I myself subscribe as a way of giving something back to the site as a whole, but this episode really has caused me to reconsider this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Come on admins, if the thread doesn't really matter, then it's no skin of your necks to restore it.
    I suspect if it was a simple matter of a 'undelete' then it would have happened by now, but dev has pointed out there are technical obstacles to restoring it.

you are wrong about the old thread... it is in the recycle bin... restore it to the poker forum where it was created and belongs... thats all we are asking
    50% of my post count was in there... prob over 2000 posts... and now they are taken off my post count as if they never existed

Please stop trying to fight a loosing battle by saying it is not important... it is important to ME and many others I believe

Do you think ostracising one of the largest, most active forums on the entire site is good for boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes it was as an admin had already stated in the thread that those discussions were not to take place in that thread.

Sorry, but are you referring to the post by Sceptre?

You do realise that post was made long after people had tried to discuss it, only to have the posts pruned by Kinetic, don't you? Quite a few posts were deleted before Sceptre made that post, which at the time was quite void because every attempt to discuss it on feedback merely saw the thread being locked.

Or are you referring to Kinetics post which was responding to a poker mods request that people do not fling bile at the admins or other mods in the thread, however I along with others did not fling "bile", we tried to have a calm discussion about it and found our posts deleted.

Shot from the hip, horrendous moderation at its finest and I lol at you attempting to defend it.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    There is no freedom on speech on this site, we all only have what privileges the admins allow us and if DeV said that such discussions were verboten in that thread then that's and the cat mod and forum mods are meant to tow that line
    and argue against it where such discussions are allowed.

Again, the "admin" stepped in long after the cat mod had taken action.

DeVs opening post said nothing about not discussing it, fwiw.

Feedback is here to discuss this kind of thing, however every attempt until today was met with a lock and the users told it was being discussed without their participation, a helpdesk thread was started and the user was told the same thing. The community then return to their own forum to try to discuss it amongst themselves and the thread is locked.

The administration make a pathetically weak attempt to resolve the situation, the community attempt to discuss it and are met with further censorship.

BS at it's finest and I'm not surprised to see whos side you're taking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Did you not call the BBV a cancer earlier? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60680802&postcount=25

Seems you have something against the forum and its current (excellent IMO) mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Wreck wrote: »
    Man, you have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody is defending the attack on TCN, many of us have stated that it was wrong and some of those responsible have apologised publically for their actions.

Nobody is defending it. From the thread it appears it was great craic, even for the mods.
    Wreck wrote: »
    That's really unfair and biased. Many of the poker forum users post and lurk all over boards. The majority of the mods are happy to moderate more than one forum. I myself subscribe as a way of giving something back to the site as a whole, but this episode really has caused me to reconsider this.

Why have you more a right to use boards.ie in peace then the TCN regulars? Did you know about the trolling, if so why didn't you report the post ?

• Advertisement

you are wrong about the old thread... it is in the recycle bin... restore it to the poker forum where it was created and belongs... thats all we are asking
    50% of my post count was in there... prob over 2000 posts... and now they are taken off my post count as if they never existed

Please stop trying to fight a loosing battle by saying it is not important... it is important to ME and many others I believe

You are not your post count and you may just have to accept that there is a chance that the boards staff may not be able to restore the thread to the poker foum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement