Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Eniscorthy Bypass

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

Quadra wrote: »
    I know this thread is about the Enniscorthy bypass plan (very welcome), but the issue of Rosslare Port is important to the development of Wexford. BTW, I'm from Wexford.

I'd argue that Wexford has long been the poor cousin in terms of investment in the south east. If you talk to people about why this is the case, two reasons generally come up (amongst many others):

1. The road network from Wexford to Dublin is sub-standard, eventhough Wexford is not a great distance from Dublin.

2. While the port facilities in Rosslare Harbour are good, it's basically the lack of innovative and competitive thinking within Irish Rail which has held back the development of services in the port - as in, services & rates that importers / exporters are more inclined to use / pay ahead of Waterford or Dublin. A good example is IR not joining up their rail and port service, but there are many others, spanning many years.

While a fully joined-up M11 is a few years away yet, it's going in the right direction (addressing point 1).

I think the ideal solution to point 2 is to indeed complete the M11 to Rosslare Harbour (via the N11-N25 Wexford bypass) AND replace IR as the authority in the Harbour with an organization more concerned with business development than maintenance of the status quo.

Then I think you have a good combination that will help Wexford do better in the future.

spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭serfboard

Me? I definitely think that area needs the investment. Rosslare is an important port for Cork, Waterford and Limerick (at a stretch). Development of the N24, N25 and M11 would make it a far shorter route for London/European HGVs than Holyhead-Dublin

Yes the moneys not there, but i do think it should be considered when it is

Sorry to continue the off-topicness, but defo agree with the above, and could never understand why Rosslare has not been developed further. I would also agree with other comments that development on the Welsh side would help an awful lot.

As others have said, in 10 years time, if we have money again and after all the other major bottlenecks are gone, I would build an M11 and an M24. (or at least an N24 2+2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yes but lets be sensible with all this. The way the south is trying to fight it, we're going to have container ports at Rosslare, New Ross, Waterford and Cork.

Thats absolutely ridiculous.

So yes, lets have motorway to Rosslare (via M11) and DC to Rosslare (via N25). But ONLY if New Ross' and Waterfords ports are both shut down and used for community things instead of an ugly port. Corks one could be scaled back (say, not moved). Would help boost Rosslare, make Cork/Waterford/NewRoss nicer places and would bring a modicum of sense into this whole port fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

But ONLY if New Ross' and Waterfords ports are both shut down and used for community things instead of an ugly port.

I thought most of Waterford's port business was moved down to Bellvue several years ago. on the N29?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

I thought most of Waterford's port business was moved down to Bellvue several years ago. on the N29?

Yep moved downstream to Bellview

• Advertisement
Advertisement