Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Folk and Trad Songs/Videos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Possibly Luke Kelly's finest song, and also his last tv appearance with The Dubliners - Night Visiting Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGvQ2v-ZRM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Glad you enjoyed it! Just out of interest, was it the version you were looking for?

Whiskey Devil I was actually looking for the Rap version :D:D:D

Kidding of course!

I was not paying much attention to the Intro or anything on the lls,Just remember the room going quiet as the lyrics were been sung(as if a genetic memory took over?)

then it seemed to disappear,never even heard Ronan Collins play it!So I thought it was *lost&gone forever*

So really i cant answer the specific version,just know it stayed in my mind until You directed it to Me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Scien wrote: »
    Going through a trad phase at the moment here are 2 favourites:

Davy Spillane - Caoineadh Chulainn
    Amazing Lament on the Uilleann Pipes.

Thanked you for the Davy Spillane clip! Hadn't seen it before, I do love the pipes played well!:) But my god do I hate the Corrs!:pac:
    They're just such mediocre musicians, fair enough they can sing, but jaysus you'd thing with that fame they could but a tin whistle thats in tune. Look at this vid, 2:10 in.

Very sloppy stilted playing, especially compared to the other musicians on stage!

ynotdu wrote: »
    I cannot deny the talent of that guy and i realise how difficult an instrument the Banjo is to play,still i did not get the umph from it that a good Ballad can give.I do find though when sometimes i,m in Clare and in a pub amongst an appreciative crowd I can get right into it(with some aid from alcohol)as if that is were Irish jigs&reels were meant for, that enviroment(or in poorest of times playing amongst neighbours in thatched cottages&sipping poition)for whatever reason i can enjoy ballads sober and without company:confused:

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks and all that! I do find that most of the people who like trad, are people who also play it. Music with lyrics is always more easily accessible by the non-musicians anyway.

Now here's a bodhrán solo for ya!!:D

Possibly Luke Kelly's finest song, and also his last tv appearance with The Dubliners - Night Visiting Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGvQ2v-ZRM

Hi Whiskey,for some reason I am getting very poor sound quality on Luke Kellys last televised performance and am not familior with the song,but I will try get a better audio of it somewhere.up to now My favourite clip of luke is him singing"scorn not"(I think written by Phil Coulter?)Luke is sitting at a fireside with reflection in mirror.

so give me a while to see if it will grow on me:)
    I am adding a link below to demonstrate how Ya can have a wake before your dead!Everybody gonna die,how many would get the line-up singing this tribute to them while they are still alive?:)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGcfmkbxBGc&feature=related

• Advertisement

banjopaul wrote: »
    Now here's a bodhrán solo for ya!!:D

That is the opening ceromony of the Beijing olympics superimposed over a video of a trainee bodhran player!:D:D:D:D also how the fcuk did ya put a fada on bodhran?

seriously He is Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Yep, it's a stunning piece alright. It's given me serious notions of taking up the Pipes.

What's stopping you? It'll be hard, but it'll be worth it! Go for it.:)
    I cant see that youtube clip as its blocked in work but i'll take a wild guess that it's John Joe Kelly!!?:)

Haha good guess, John Joe is savage! But no it's actually Eamonn Murray.

Deadly, such tight playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I know some might find this fella's playing not completely 100% authentic, but it's got a great spirit to it

I'm learning Maid Behind The Bar on the mandolin at the moment, but should be getting a banjo soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MikeHowitzer

folk/old time cover of mgmts kids

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dwaincasey

Lads,
    What is your opinion of the corrs album "Home"?
    My wife got a copy of it and I have to say I cringe when I hear it.
    It makes a complete mockery of Irish ballads and traditional music.
    Their version of Peggy Gordon is done so in a contemporary format and not at all how the song is supposed to be composed and sung. I'm just interested to hear any one else's opinions on this as some of you have given your opinions on various ballad singers in this thread.

dwaincasey wrote: »
    Lads,
    Their version of Peggy Gordon is done so in a contemporary format and not at all how the song is supposed to be composed and sung. I'm just interested to hear any one else's opinions on this as some of you have given your opinions on various ballad singers in this thread.

Completely agree.
    While I quite like their arrangement of Buchaille on Erne (would be a million times better without the bloody drums); the clean-cut image; slightly american lilt to their voices bugs me - horrible. Peggy Gordon should be left to Luke Kelly.

I particularly detest the version of Spancill Hill on that album - completely ruined. (For anyone interested; James Cannon - son of the dubliner's Sean Cannon) does an amazing version on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dwaincasey

I'm glad someone else agrees with that!

I didn't know that about James Cannon. I'm off to have a look on youtube for that!

Might not be to everyone's taste; but personally I really like it

To add some more tunes back to the mix!
    Crap sound engineering though, fiddle is non existent on it.

dwaincasey wrote: »
    Lads,

The Corrs in general are woeful, not trad music at all...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

brummytom wrote: »

Might not be to everyone's taste; but personally I really like it

Wow. That is really really good. I'd say even on first listen that's the best version of that song I've ever heard. And that includes any of Christy Moore's! I'm gonna check now if he's got an album out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosTgIBgzf4

Beats all comers for me.
    Doesn't embed.
    Personally this is my favourite version of McAlpines Fusiliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

This wasn't on Youtube, so I uploaded it.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosTgIBgzf4

Beats all comers for me.
    Doesn't embed.
    Personally this is my favourite version of McAlpines Fusiliers.
    Always loved this version
    This wasn't on Youtube, so I uploaded it.

Cheers, never heard this before! The harmonys are great, but Andy's voice really stands out for me

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Hi Tinwhistle,been a while since i logged into this thread.
    Have been having a Dubliners theme night earlior as coyle reminded us on the statue for Ronnie Drew thread it was 1st annv of his death.

on previous posts i have said that i rarely enjoy music only Trad..
    I had forgotten how good that instrumental by Sharon Shannon was.
    has the UMPH factor!:)
    ty for that vid.

banjopaul wrote: »

Banjopaul i thought that was Excellant,Stirring music&great video!:)

MultiUmm wrote: »

Me too Multium,her haunting voice,their whistful music................

and there i was thinking this song was an irish balled until i saw the film Leadbelly,up to then i thought the Fureys had wrote it!
    this guy wrote hundreds of songs that are credited to others.the movie is rare to find but well worth the effort,he spent nearly ALL his life in prison on dubious charges.A black man born at the wrong time in history in the USA

Goodnight Irene's a great, simple song. My uncle got a phonecall one Christmas with all the children from a village in South Africa singing it to him (he'd taught it to them while he was there doing charity work)

Stumpled upon this ballad group, The Rapparees. Most people here know my feelings about the Dubliners, but I feel these lads do Raglan Road justice.. the harmonies are excellent.

• Advertisement

Raglan road from south Africa on a Chistmas morning rummy?Yar uncle must have thought his xmas eve drink was spiked and he was tripping!:)
    nice story though for him and you.
    heres one i can only sing if i,m as drunk as a skunk!:D

Advertisement