Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Do on a Piebald next time and call it "Into The West"

4 wheel drives are not very hardcore !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Do on a Piebald next time and call it "Into The West"

4 wheel drives are not very hardcore !!

I don't know anyone that owns a Piebald...do you?:p:pac:

They run wild around the back of Ballinasloe main street :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They run wild around the back of Ballinasloe main street :)

Ahh, touche.:D

They're not the only thing that runs wild around there.:pac:

If you were doing your epic journey the other way round I would have suggested a Connemara instead .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Great video kaizer. Still a hell of a lot to go on that scheme.

tech2 wrote: »
    Great video kaizer. Still a hell of a lot to go on that scheme.

And that's about the best of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

To be honest, from what I've seen, this scheme does not seem to be more than two or three months ahead of much of the M7/M8 in terms of progress.

Do people think it will open in January 2010? It's possible I suppose, but I doubt it. It is by no means certain (though it is likely) that the M6 will be the first interurban to win the completion race.

Furet wrote: »
    To be honest, from what I've seen, this scheme does not seem to be more than two or three months ahead of much of the M7/M8 in terms of progress.

Do people think it will open in January 2010? It's possible I suppose, but I doubt it. It is by no means certain (though it is likely) that the M6 will be the first interurban to win the completion race.

Not a hope.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Furet wrote: »
    Do people think it will open in January 2010?

Would have said definitely yes if you asked 7 or 8 months ago but at the moment I would be more inclined to say late Spring.

The last couple of times I have gone out to take a look at this scheme I have been a bit disappointed over the lack of progress in the areas I visited. They are working long hours during the week though and working Saturdays so at least that's something.

• Advertisement

Looks like the N6 overbridge at Aughrim will be a 3 span structure.

If the traffic lights at the construction site entrance go red when I'm passing on the way home this evening I might be able to get a quick snap.

Got a really bad picture of the N6 overbridge site at Aughrim on the way home. Moving vehicle + horrid weather + only a phone camera = aweful photo. Sorry!

But as you can sort of see the 3 pillars going up are over by what will be the western verge. 3 more pillars will go up on the eastern side to make it a 3 span structure.
    th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzUuanBn.jpg Click for full size image

Good to see progress being made here despite the aweful weather.

PS - Was like being in a different country when I got back to Galway City: sun beaming while the midlands was close to having flash floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,930 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bit of progress on the Ballinasloe to Portumna road as well (known locally as the Moher Road) There is now a D style diversion in place just past Hillcrest Park on the road. This road is due to be closed once the exits and bridges are built.

KevR wrote: »
    Looks like the N6 overbridge at Aughrim will be a 3 span structure.

Not too sure about that. From what I've seen so far, those 3 pillars are in the center median and the eastern abbutment is going on top of the concrete encased pipes. I might get out there tomorrow evening to have a look.
    flazio wrote:
    Bit of progress on the Ballinasloe to Portumna road as well (known locally as the Moher Road) There is now a D style diversion in place just past Hillcrest Park on the road. This road is due to be closed once the exits and bridges are built.

Aye. There's a pedestrian foot bridge going there aswell.

Good progress on the Suck bridge aswell.

From this on 30th of April.....

IMAG0210.jpg_595.jpg

.....to this today.

i.php?a=suck-bridge-may-2009&i=19052009001.jpg&s=595
    i.php?a=suck-bridge-may-2009&i=19052009002.jpg&s=595

Deck fully poured, shuttering struck and taking light construction traffic.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Not too sure about that. From what I've seen so far, those 3 pillars are in the center median and the eastern abbutment is going on top of the concrete encased pipes. I might get out there tomorrow evening to have a look.

Quite possible. I only caught a glimpse but it did seem they were very close to the western abbutment - as in too close to have a carriageway between the pillars and the abbutment. It's hard to judge it properly while driving past; would really need to stop for a proper look.

They were pumping concrete into the big blue steel pillar cases this morning anyhow.

PS - Great to see that progress on the Suck Bridge.

You could well be right Kev. It's deceiving there atm because the eastern banking is incomplete and some of the western banking looks like it'll be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

So when will it open?

NRA website says Q2 2010. Has anyone heard different?

Would love it to be open sooner than this as I will be commuting from Galway to Ballinasloe for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'd say no. Officially they're saying 4th Jan 2010, which realistically means by Christmas. However, they'd want to get the move on if they're gonna be done by then. Its unlikely. I'd still say Q2 2010 (likely the summer) for any opening.

Still, it'll win the Interurban Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

taken on phone camera so not the best quality, but thought I'd share them

they from an exit to the west of Athenry

I think DSC00052.JPG has a nice bit of symmetry....

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

I'd say no. Officially they're saying 4th Jan 2010, which realistically means by Christmas. However, they'd want to get the move on if they're gonna be done by then. Its unlikely. I'd still say Q2 2010 (likely the summer) for any opening.

Still, it'll win the Interurban Race.

I can picture myself now fighting the traffic to get there on time, occasionally seeing the almost finished motorway in the distance. Grrrrr!

Its to be tolled though, so maybe I'd take the old road anyway...

• Advertisement

Suck Bridge and N6 overbridge update.

Eventually got to drive accross the bridge over the weekend.:)

Sat Nav screen cap on the bridge.
    i.php?a=suck-bridge-may-2009&i=Poolboy.jpg&s=595

Lookong down on canal lock.
    i.php?a=suck-bridge-may-2009&i=01012000019.jpg&s=595

N6 Overbridge Aughrim.

01012000010.jpg_595.jpg

01012000009.jpg_595.jpg

01012000016.jpg_595.jpg

http://gallery.m6.kaizersoze.net/index.php?album=n6-overbridge-aughrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Maybe he was just talking it up but.....

Listening to George Hook on Newstalk just now. He was interviewing the head of the NRA about the opening of the new section of the Cork-Dublin motorway. Yer man mentioned that the Galway Dublin motorway would be fully opened by the end of the year/early 2010. He was probably just trying to sound positive and talk it up. From looking at the sections around Oranmore and Athenry its hard to see it being open that quick.

But then again given their record so far of opening up new roads months in advance who knows? The new section of the Cork Dublin road was 9 months ahead of schedule. I live in hope!

There's been a big push around Ballinasloe in the last couple of weeks from junction 14 as far as the overbridge at Aughrim. More machinery than I've ever seen on this section has moved in and alot of material moved around.
    The west Ballinasloe interchange (J15) has started, this is one of the fancy structures, and the progress on the Suck bridge is staggering.

This bank holiday weekend they have been working flat out Friday/Saturday/Sunday (and probably Monday as well) from 7am - 10pm.:eek:

This is a short phone vid, so the quality isn't great, taken Sunday @ 9.30pm at Poolboy and I'll upload more pics later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Celtic Warrior

kaizersoze wrote: »
    This is a short phone vid, so the quality isn't great, taken Sunday @ 9.30pm at Poolboy and I'll upload more pics later.

taken Sunday @ 9.30pm

We're they working on sunday evening at 9.30pm on a bank holiday weekend?? if so they are really putting in a push then...... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Great to see them making maximum use of the glorious heat and sunshine.

This weather should push progress forward on all schemes across the country.

I've never seen anyone on-site working on a Sunday before! I always went out taking pics on a Sunday because there was never anyone around. They must really be starting to push to get it done as soon as they can - the sooner they get it open, the sooner they can start collecting tolls..

taken Sunday @ 9.30pm

We're they working on sunday evening at 9.30pm on a bank holiday weekend?? if so they are really putting in a push then...... :confused:

Yep, flat out Saturday/Sunday and today, Monday.

This is where they're drawing the filling from.
    It's a field with a large hill of sand adjacent to the motorway.

Btw, the location of the first video is where the motorway crosses the path of the old (long since closed) Grand Canal as it made it's way to Ballinasloe.
    Old meets new eh!
    Good radio documentary about it's construction here:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/engineerseye/1165905.html

It was aso the location of one of the protests last year where the land owners were complaining about their lands being flooded.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0908/6news_av.html?2419404,null,230
    They have since installed huge culverts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

KevR wrote: »
    the sooner they get it open, the sooner they can start collecting tolls..

Which is why I've often wondered why progress on some other PPP roads seems to be slow (M7/M8 for example).

Great to see progress on this route, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Drove by the N18 flyover yesterday at Glennascaul (between Carnmore cross & Oranmore) as I haven't been that way in ages. I was pleasantly surprised to see the main structure of the flyover in place. Given the amount of time I've seen them taking to do the other structures along the way I'd say that this road has a good chance of being open for Christmas.

• Advertisement

I have pictures of the N18 structure posted in the M6 Motorway Thread in Commuting & Transport. That structure is in place a couple of months now.

Also, the abbutments for the railway underbridge South West of Athenry are in place now. Shouldn't be too long before we see the rest of the structure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement