Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wears watches anymore? Rant

Options
  • 03-06-2009 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I reckon having a phone is all you need these days. Aren't watches just an excuse to wear more jewellry (cant spell)?

I'm not big into watches, well I dont think anyone is "big into" watches but, if there were a case for wearing a watch these days it would have to involve a dramatic scene in a movie where the hero flicks his arm out, uncovering his arm and watching the seconds tick away before the camera cuts back to his face when he unleashes the classic "theres no time!" line. This also works for the smart business-types.

I would belive all the **** I'm after spewing if I hadn't just seen the word Rolex in the forum...MAN they're cool!...but unnecessary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I had stopped wearing a watch up until about 12 months ago. Since then, I have felt more comfortable being without my phone for extended periods of time. I'd hazard it's something to do with the psychological comfort of being able to fully represent my positiion in four-dimensional space, but that's probably just the maths-nerd inside me talking.

If you got into the habit of wearing a nice watch, you'd understand. It's seldom about bling. It's about appreciating time and admiring an incredibly intricate piece of engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I have a lovely watch but the battery is gone in it and I couldnt be arsed getting a new one for it. Me brother bought it a few years ago for a few hundred. I must unhide it for him so he can notice the battery is gone in it and hope he gets a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

the right watch can be sexy. i have to wear one for work aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Flicking your wrist is easier than digging out your phone, unlocking it. Especially if you use alarms or stop watch or timer. When I'm on the bike the phone is in the bag usually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BostonB wrote: »
    Flicking your wrist is easier than digging out your phone, unlocking it.
    Yea and exactly the main reason the pocket watch went out of favour. Wristwatches for men are pretty recent a development. The wristwatch itself is recent enough anyway(late 1800's), but it was aimed at women and was considered an effeminate object. Even then it was rare enough. That is until world war one when the convenience of having it on the wrist and easy to access was a good thing. Fumbling around for a pocket watch was none too useful. After the war it was seen as anything but effeminate. The rest is history as it were. The sales of pocket watches dropped off massively in the 20's and 30's.

I would agree that the phone is the pocket watch of today timekeeper wise. We're lucky(or not;):)) today that time and accurate time is everywhere, but having a wristwatch is still the most convenient.

Then there's the jewelry aspect and I say fine. Don;t see the harm in it at all. Men have always worn jewelry of some nature or other. In many cultures throughout history men have worn more than women. We're pretty jewelry free nowadays when compared to even our grandfathers time. Fancy cufflinks and tie pins are rare enough to see now. There are men now who do wear a fair amount. The piercings crowd for a start, but generally not so much. If that's one of the reasons you wear a watch I say fair play.

Plus if you're looking for vaguely accurate time, any phone I've had the time has drifted more than my earliest mechanical ww2 wristwatch funny enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...Plus if you're looking for vaguely accurate time, any phone I've had the time has drifted more than my earliest mechanical ww2 wristwatch funny enough.

What WWII watches do you have. Always wanted one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I feel very uncomfortable if I leave the house without a watch on.

I love watches and if I had the money I would build myself a nice little collection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BostonB wrote: »
    What WWII watches do you have. Always wanted one of them.
    Oops shoulda said ww1. I have a waltham A11 watch from ww2. Must dig it out. They tend to be very small though. Sub 30mm. Unfashionably small today. So unless you have wrist like a girl like me....

The biggest by far would be the cyma at 38mm rm1033.jpg

The German stuff is bigger. The expense goes up accordingly. The hanhart chrono would be one I would like. At least the pilots stuff is bigger. The navy and army DH watches are small like the allies stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Good arguments for watches. My argument against would be more personal I suppose in that I dont like the carry redundant pieces of property around with me. Less is more, especially going out the door.

It seems to me, unless like some people who have a passion/interest in watches (for what ever reason) then having to think about collecting all you belongings before you leave your house would be easier if you shed the excess. I understand that most people just got used to wearing a watch in the 'pre-mobile' era and feel naked with out them. It's very curious.

Do you think that as all the old fogies of the pre mobile era die off, less people will wear watches? barring of course the guy on the bike and the likes...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

For the moment I can't see watches dying off. True enough some people use their phones for the time and others like the OP feel that less is better. However people are image conscious these days and a nice watch can be a very stylish thing to wear so even for that reason alone I don't think it has had its day.

Incidentally I wear a watch every day. It's quicker and easier to read than fumbling for my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I can't have a phone in work so a watch is pretty much essential. Just a little handier too I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

aaConnery.0.jpg

"Turn off your mobile 'phone, now, that'sh a good girl..."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bicycle/car doesn't have a clock, so the watch is handy to check the time.

Also, battery for the phone dies after 2 days. Battery doesn't die on the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

the_syco wrote: »
    Bicycle/car doesn't have a clock, so the watch is handy to check the time.

Also, battery for the phone dies after 2 days. Battery doesn't die on the watch.

Good point. Seiko automatic ftw!

Handy for sports where you can't carry a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

or if you are like me need to put on the glasses to see the time on the fone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

homah_7ft wrote: »
    I can't have a phone in work so a watch is pretty much essential. Just a little handier too I find.

Are you a prison officer ? What other jobs can you not have your phone with you ? Maybe a lab or some other super clean envioroment ? Just curious.....:confused:

thelurch wrote: »
    Are you a prison officer ? What other jobs can you not have your phone with you ? Maybe a lab or some other super clean envioroment ? Just curious.....:confused:

Lots of places don't allow phones because they can have camera or can be used as a memory stick to copy data, or simply because they are so distracting if not needed for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i wear my watch because its stylish

its kinetic

And everyone who see's it says.. nice watch. I dont know how many times people have tried it on.

And i firmly believe ladies look at a mans watch;)

So in response, No i dont think watches will ever be made reduntant. And i dont have a particular interest in all things time piece related:D

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

a watch is the main piece of jewellery that men can wear.
    Do you want to start the same discussion about rings, bracelets, necklaces and if they really give benefits to women? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

I wear a watch but wouldn't consider it as a piece of jewellery. It's purely functional. It's a bonus if it looks nice, in a tasteful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mutul8

Homah_7FT is indeed a lab rat!! But he didnt have a watch for ages as he wouldnt get the battery changed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I love my watch and i always wear it. You can't beat a really nice watch.

Advertisement