Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Opportunities with BA in Counselling & Psychotherapy?

Options
  • 18-01-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in my third year of a BA in Counseling and Psychotherapy and I'm trying to gauge what opportunities will be available to me when I finish up. I will be building up hours for accreditation when I finish college as I do eventually want to practice as a psychotherapist but I also want to check out what other avenues might be open to me. I'd like to practice and maybe do something else part-time.

At the moment I work in a factory as an operator and I'd like to maybe move into a helping role, somewhere where I could develop my skills and put them to better use. I do some client work at the moment as part of the course and I love it.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? I'd really appreciate anything that can get me moving in the right direction.

Cheers,

Ken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Community Addiction Programmes are always on the lookout for volunteers and it might give you a foot in the door. If not you will get some good experience as your dealing will alot more that just addiction most of the time.

Edit: Forgot to state the obvious the HSE are not taking anyone on in the current climate and the same goes for paid jobs in most of the projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Hi, I am in my final year, and a couple of people on my course have already set up a practice themselves - 3 of them from the same area linked in together. Naturally, they had already completed the 100 hours, and had received their diploma in counselling competency. Once I complete my 100 hours, I intend to stay volunteering in the centre I am with, as it will help me towards getting the extra 450 hours for full accreditation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 IslandFella

Accreditation by whom? I contacted the IACP and they do not recognise your BSc course for accreditation purposes.

... sorry, BA.

The OP does not state where he is doing his BA IslandFella. I am training with PCI College myself, which is listed on the IACP website.

http://www.irish-counselling.ie/index.php/recognised-training-courses

In my College, each course run has to apply for separate accreditation ie a weekend course has to apply for separate accreditation, than, say, a Monday evening course etc.

• Advertisement

And just to add it as it is a pet hate of my mine, there are many more psychotherapy and counselling organisations that just the IACP.

Duly noted. I dont know why, but I had the NCII degree programme in mind. I think as long as you have your 450 hours of sessions under your belt you can go for accreditation with any awarding body you like.

IAHIP, for instance, are harder to get accredited with than the IACP - one of the criteria for IAHIP is weekly group therapy as an integral part of the course.

Duly noted. I dont know why, but I had the NCII degree programme in mind. I think as long as you have your 450 hours of sessions under your belt you can go for accreditation with any awarding body you like.

Not the case really, for example I have a BA, MA, in psychoanalysis. Quite a few years of clinical work as well as over five years personal analysis and most if not all of the general psychotherapy bodies would have me. I stick with A.P.P.I. and one I need for some work I do I.A.A.A.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Odysseus wrote: »
    Not the case really, for example I have a BA, MA, in psychoanalysis. Quite a few years of clinical work as well as over five years personal analysis and most if not all of the general psychotherapy bodies would have me. I stick with A.P.P.I. and one I need for some work I do I.A.A.A.C.

Did you mean to say most wouldn't have you?

• Advertisement

hotspur wrote: »
    Did you mean to say most wouldn't have you?

Yes you got me on this one:) My defence is I'm off sick at the moment so I'm not firing on all cylinders;)

Advertisement