Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Ida Debate

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ART6 wrote: »
    When I was at school I was told that God created man in his own image. So, if Adam was an ape ........??

Does this mean that when I die and ascent the golden staircase I am going to be met by a feckin' great hairy gorilla?

Nope.
    Most likely no golden stairs, Deity or hairy gorilla.
    Spaghetti monster though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ART6 wrote: »
    When I was at school I was told that God created man in his own image. So, if Adam was an ape ........??

Does this mean that when I die and ascent the golden staircase I am going to be met by a feckin' great hairy gorilla?

God doesn't exist so I wouldn't lose any sleep over what he looks like.

No need to thank me. I'm here to help. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

AnonoBoy wrote: »

You're quite certain. However, in reality the God question is still wide open. The only objective stance is "There may be a God or there may not be a God". Hence the only way of argumentation we can employ is through indication. What indicates to you that God exists, or what indicates to you what God doesn't exist.

Jakkass wrote: »
    What indicates to you that God exists, or what indicates to you what God doesn't exist.

He told me he doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Nope.
    Most likely no golden stairs, Deity or hairy gorilla.
    Spaghetti monster though?

Just add meatballs for divinity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Galvasean wrote: »
    You know this is the second thread on palaeontology in After Hours in the last week or two.
    You know what this means....

I'm finally cool!!!!!

You were always cool in my book. Anybody who likes giant lizards who savage other lizards to death with giant nashers must be cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

And you know this for a fact yeah? Oh how simple-minded you really are....monkey boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You're quite certain. However, in reality the God question is still wide open.

To be honest, it's not really. It's only open to those who are unwilling to accept the reality of evolution, and that the idea of a God is as far fetched as the Easter Bunny. But, go on with whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Not one iota of evidence of God's existence. Lots of evidence to support evolution. Unless you're one of those new-age religious folk, who pretend to support evolution and God, just to stay hip.
    The only objective stance is "There may be a God or there may not be a God".

Eh no. The objective stance comes from the fact that there is no evidence to suggest that God exists. Only fairytale books from 2000 years ago. Science can explain the history of earth in most part. God is just something people use to fill a void for something they can't explain.

Think of it like this - Some woman who isn't very good with mechanics asks a mechanic what was wrong with the car - he explains that it was God's doing and that God now wishes it to be better once again. That is exactly how religion operates. It fills voids with this fairytale of a God, that doesn't really exist and has no evidence to suggest it has, does or ever will exist.
    Hence the only way of argumentation we can employ is through indication. What indicates to you that God exists, or what indicates to you what God doesn't exist.

Kinda like Thor and Zeus, right? But I take it you don't believe in their existence either.

danh789 wrote: »
    And you know this for a fact yeah? Oh how simple-minded you really are....monkey boy

Read my above post. He told me himself he doesn't exist.

Jeez - how plainly do I have to say it? Are you still annoyed because I made fun of your 'rules of hooking up' thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

dlofnep wrote: »
    To be honest, it's not really. It's only open to those who are unwilling to accept the reality of evolution, and that the idea of a God is as far fetched as the Easter Bunny. But, go on with whatever makes you feel comfortable.

It really is. Hence why it is still being discussed in the academic arena between atheists and theists in philosophy and other fields. Hence why Christians can justify taking part in scientific discourse. Hence why you and I are still discussing it. When Christianity becomes an unreasonable option for people to accept (and it clearly isn't when you have over 15,000 people accepting Christianity each day) it's clear that it won't be discussed in the same way that it is.

How is evolution a closing factor? Many Christians see evolution as a part of God's creation.
    Not one iota of evidence of God's existence. Lots of evidence to support evolution. Unless you're one of those new-age religious folk, who pretend to support evolution and God, just to stay hip.

Actually there is quite a lot to indicate for God's existence. I haven't heard anything that indicates for God's non-existence however. It's clear that you haven't actually attempted to seek out answers on the subject anyway and they are available.
    Eh no. The objective stance comes from the fact that there is no evidence to suggest that God exists. Only fairytale books from 2000 years ago. Science can explain the history of earth in most part. God is just something people use to fill a void for something they can't explain.

Again, mere rhethoric. You have nothing to suggest that they are fairytales at all. Infact we have reason to accept that many Biblical events did actually occur. I don't use God to fill a void, I see God as a reality, something that impacts my personal life on a daily basis, hence why I find it hilarious that atheists seem to know more about my relationship with God through Jesus Christ than I do.
    Think of it like this - Some woman who isn't very good with mechanics asks a mechanic what was wrong with the car - he explains that it was God's doing and that God now wishes it to be better once again. That is exactly how religion operates. It fills voids with this fairytale of a God, that doesn't really exist and has no evidence to suggest it has, does or ever will exist.

Not quite. Religion gives better explanations as to why God was a part of what supernatural events occurred. As I say, your use of "fairytale" is mere rhethoric without substance and isn't really useful in any discussion with theists who are simply going to retort that it is a lot more than a fairytale in their lives of which you have no account or nor authority over.
    Kinda like Thor and Zeus, right? But I take it you don't believe in their existence either.

I don't believe in their existence due to the lack of indication. I don't accept atheism as a worldview due to the lack of indication. I see God's existence as the more probable solution hence why I am a follower of Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Em.

It's possible to believe in God and agree that Evolution is the likely way for all life currently on earth to come about you know!

That's like saying that if you like sandwiches you must hate cake. They're not mutually exclusive.

Not one iota of evidence of God's existence.
    Nor is there for God's non-existence, so what's your point?

Anyway, all this find proves is that apes (including ourselves) have a common ancestor with monkeys. I dunno what the OP was on about that it proves the theory of evolution any further than it was already proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Where does the honey monster fit into this evolutionary mystery? Or the Rabcat?...remember that one?

Read my above post. He told me himself he doesn't exist.

Jeez - how plainly do I have to say it? Are you still annoyed because I made fun of your 'rules of hooking up' thread?

Actually I didnt even realise it was you (just after going back through old posts). I have an opinion and you made a stupid statement, now if you could back up the fact that God doesnt exist with some solid arguments I will listen.

Oh by the way, Ryan Tubridy earns over 400,000eur a year and is going out with one of the hottest women in Ireland, just thought you'd like to hear that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Actually I didnt even realise it was you (just after going back through old posts). I have an opinion and you made a stupid statement, now if you could back up the fact that God doesnt exist with some solid arguments I will listen.

Oh by the way, Ryan Tubridy earns over 400,000eur a year and is going out with one of the hottest women in Ireland, just thought you'd like to hear that again!

Firstly
    Any discussion that involves people evolving from apes should use tubriddy as an example well done!

I agree partially with what your saying there is no proof there is no god your right there, but there isn't really proof of a god either. You are merely filling in the blanks with a god to explain them.

But I also believe evolution does not explain away god it merely poses the further question which you choose to answer with god.

And that question is what created the things which created the things which lead to man. Which leads right back to the big bang and the question of why was there even anythign there in the first place to implode and create everythign else this leaves us still the question of is there a god who created this, but not a definite answer of yes there is or no there is not.

Actually I didnt even realise it was you (just after going back through old posts).

Sure you didn't. ;)
    I have an opinion and you made a stupid statement

Welcome to After Hours - where people's beliefs are mocked mercilessly until they realise that they should have taken it to another forum.
    now if you could back up the fact that God doesnt exist with some solid arguments I will listen.

I'm not in this for solid arguments kid, I'm in it for the yucks. If I was actually trying to argue the point with you I'd have hardly written this....
    AnonoBoy wrote:
    He told me himself he doesn't exist.
    .... now would I?

Who's Ryan Tubridy?

[edit]Just googled him. Apparently he's some lanky lad off the telly who's going out with that young wan from back home. Horrible taste in men that O'Sullivan girl has altogether.[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I demand that he get's a reduction in pay.

Sure you didn't. ;)

Welcome to After Hours - where people's beliefs are mocked mercilessly until they realise that they should have taken it to another forum.

I'm not in this for solid arguments kid, I'm in it for the yucks.

Who's Ryan Tubridy?

[edit]Just googled him. Apparently he's some lanky lad off the telly who's going out with that young wan from back home. Horrible taste in men that O'Sullivan girl has altogether.[/edit]

The fact that you couldn't even scrape together one decent answer tells me one thing.......You've just been lawyered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :P :P :P ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But google is using the image of the remains across the logo!

Regards,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The fact that you couldn't even scrape together one decent answer tells me one thing.......You've just been lawyered

Take it here mate:http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=614

you'll get lots and lots and lots of arguments. Personally I believe in the flying spaghetti monster for no other reason than you can't prove he doesn't exist

A7X wrote: »
    I demand that he get's a reduction in pay.

I say give him a increase in pay, afterall he does have the top job now!

• Advertisement

The fact that you couldn't even scrape together one decent answer tells me one thing.......

...... that you're desperate for an argument and are frustrated that I'm merely taking the piss out of the whole debate?

......or perhaps you're just a little bit antsy the past while since you discovered that Senor Tubbs is straight and your romantic dreams of him taking you roughly over the Tubridy Tonight desk while being egged on by Clint Velour and The Camembert Quartet are shattered?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wow, I go away for a few hours and a thread about palaeontology turns into a free for all debate on whether God exists or not....
    Bugger off the lot of ye! There's plenty of other threads for that debate.
    Milky Moo wrote: »
    How is this not bigger news?
    I am not well learned on the matter.

I know the basics and I guess I would have fallen into the category that believed the romanticised notion,as it has been described here, of the missing link finally sealing evolution as indisputable fact.
    Surely there should be great ado about the publication of this find?

I probably wouldn't have heard about this if I hadn't been to AH.

To the vast majority of scientists evolution has been accepted as fact for a very long time. The new find does not so much prove evolution as it does reaffirm the idea.
    So tell me this, why aren't we evolving anymore?

We are actually. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortinately, depending on how you would feel about rapid evolution) evolution from species to species does not happen in the space of a single lifetime or two.
    You were always cool in my book. Anybody who likes giant lizards who savage other lizards to death with giant nashers must be cool!

Lizards? My protegé has learned nothing from me... :(

*kills self*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I say give him a increase in pay, afterall he does have the top job now!

:confused:

...... that you're desperate for an argument and are frustrated that I'm merely taking the piss out of the whole debate?

......or perhaps you're just a little bit antsy the past while since you discovered that Senor Tubbs is straight and your romantic dreams of him taking you roughly over the Tubridy Tonight desk while being egged on by Clint Velour and The Camembert Quartet are shattered?

I suppose if I was going to go gay I could think of much worse ways!!!....no, focus, back to the topic

When you were quoting me you left out the last bit of the sentence "You've just been laywered". Is it because you know that you have....Just Been Laywered

We are actually. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortinately, depending on how you would feel about rapid evolution) evolution from species to species does not happen in the space of a single lifetime or two.

Actually we have art-work from 1000-2000 years ago and there is no obvious change in man over this long period of time

Actually we have art-work from 1000-2000 years ago and there is no obvious change in man over this long period of time

Artwork from 1,000 years ago? My God!!!!!

You're either missing a few zeros on your years there or else you have a crazy idea about how fast evolution happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Actually humans have become significantly taller in that space of time.

When you were quoting me you left out the last bit of the sentence "You've just been laywered". Is it because you know that you have....Just Been Laywered

A come back isn't a come back unless you come back with something. You're just saying the same silly silly Americanised catchphrase again and again.

Now back in your box where you can fap away and think about Tubbs..... there's a good lad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Actually humans have become significantly taller in that space of time.

Woohoo thank god for smart people

I knew we had changed just couldn't think how

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

IIRC, Some of the church believe evolution was crafted by god so that reduces your post to just the information that your shoulders are hairy.

Oh yeah, seriously though, If we evolved from apes why are there still Apes walking around and not evolving?

The species of Apes that we evolved from died out long,long ago!!

Gorillas, Chimpanzees, etc are walking around evolving in the same way we are.

Advertisement