Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nutgrove rathfarnham

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi, me and my partner have just signed a lease near the nutgrove shopping centre in rathfarnham. We did this on a whim (well we really liked the house) and didnt really think about the area as we've been desperate for a while. Whats the area like? Only been there a few times and it looks alright

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Is it Loreto or Mountainview?

Both are former council estates, but are mostly privately owned houses now. Loreto is pretty quiet nowadays (grew up there, parents still live there), good neighbours and close to anything you'd need, except a pub.

Mountainview is pretty much the same, but is a much bigger area. The houses would be slightly bigger than those in Loreto too.

The only real blemish to the area is that there is a halting site behind Nutgrove SC and while they tend to keep themselves to themselves, it's a bit of an eyesore, with some of the houses boarded up and accumulated scrap etc which builds up there from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ogmac

f*** sake I had a wander round nutgrove ave and even went in the shopping centre little did i know right behind it was a halting site! Dunno what area of rathfarnham it is as you come out of the shopping centre turn left onto the nutgrove road and go towards the yellow house pub its that side but only a few hundred metre's down the road from the shopping centre.

I didnt notice any pubs in the immediate are which I found strange, thats a big minus for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

ogmac wrote: »
    f*** sake I had a wander round nutgrove ave and even went in the shopping centre little did i know right behind it was a halting site! Dunno what area of rathfarnham it is as you come out of the shopping centre turn left onto the nutgrove road and go towards the yellow house pub its that side but only a few hundred metre's down the road from the shopping centre.

I didnt notice any pubs in the immediate are which I found strange, thats a big minus for me

That sounds like Loreto from your description

• Registered Users Posts: 19 buzzibee

I dont live in the area but know it. The halting site to which mike refers is further up behind Nutgrove heading towards Marley Park and more a group of houses than anything.
    I think this area is perfectly nice. I guess for pubs there is the Bottle Tower in Churchtown and a couple more in that vicinity along with Super Value, you know heading towards Dundrum on the right? or, like you said the Yellow house and there is the Eden back towards Marley Park.
    You are very close to Dundrum sc too, only a short walk away.
    Back towards Rathfarnham there are more amenities too in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

These are settled travellers, and in 5 years of living 5 minutes walk from that 'haulting site' have i heard of any / seen any trouble there. local scobies are worse but a none threat as they say please when they try to bum a smoke off you :D

I lve just in at the back of the loretto football field / park and i have to say its a decent place to live indeed. Nutgrove is fierce handy as the tesco opens late.

As for a pub depends on exactly where you are if u are that close to nutgrove as i am churchtown or dundrum have some, or theres the eden on the grange road which is a 5 minute stumble for me. if your in loretto then its 7-10 :D

As for the main question whats the area like , its a long long way of being a bad area. again depending on where you are there are several choices for buses to town but ither than that ur not going many other places, my main issue not having the car is the bus routes and the luas is a 30 minute walk from me.

• Advertisement

Calex, I actually said that they keep themselves to themselves. I lived in Loreto for almost 30 years, barring a couple of stints working abroad and/or living with gfs with never an ounce of trouble from them.

OP, definitely is Loreto then. Handy for Silvio's, one of the best chippers on the Southside. As for pubs, when I lived there, the Castle would have been my preference, it's just in the village in Rathfarnham and Revel's next door had a refurb too a while back and is nice enough. The village is barely 10/15 minutes walk from Loreto and if you're feeling lazy 3 bus routes will take you from Loreto to the village.

Ah didnt mean to come across like that Mike sorry, just i felt its not really a hault as there are never / rarely any caravans there and its like 10 bungalows, far from being an eyesore its out of the way really unless ur in a car or bus by it,

Now that you have me thinking though, there is that one house in the middle thats been burnt out (roofless etc) for a long time. As long as i can recall anyway.

Can deffo add a +1 for silvios better than place down the village by a mile and then some.

Havent been down the village so much anymore since i move up this side, is the castle the place on the left just up from centra (same side) ??? that was closed for a good while while wasnt it?

It used to be a halting site, so I guess I'll always call it that. I think the proper name is Nutgrove Crescent now. I'll have to check over the weekend!

The pub you're thinking of is the Sarah Curran, formerly the Rathfarnham Inn. Haven't been in it for at least 12 years. The Castle is opposite Centra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

As has been said, Loreto and Mountainview (The Holylands) used to be council estates. Holylands is a bit touch and go, on the outskirts it's all privately owned and they're nice, decent people however in the inner core there's still some bad families who've caused a lot of trouble in the area over the last 20 years. Those who live near there know who I'm referring to.

As a whole I'd imagine Nutgrove will be a fairly handy place to live, the shopping centre is a bit of a kip but the 24 hour tesco there is very convenient, especially with the free parking.

With regards to pubs, do not go to the bottle tower, it's a complete and utter dive. Castle or Revels in Rathfarnham Village, Buglers, Glenside and RodeoJoes (lol) are in Churchtown are all within walking distance and there's more in Dundrum.

Buglers is on Ballyboden Road in Rathfarnham, not Churchtown!

• Advertisement

Buglers is on Ballyboden Road in Rathfarnham, not Churchtown!
    Ah ha, I hadn't spotted that grammatical mistake, cheers :)

Well within walking distance of nutgrove anyway!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Another thing, Nutgrove and Rathfarnham are different areas, Nutgrove isnt in Rathfarnham, but its near it!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

The Sarah Curran is now called "Touch" and is as big a dump as the Curran was. The regulars in that place are complete gangsters and scum bags. The only good thing about is that it usually keeps them out of the castle. The castle still has quite a few scumbags frequent it, but generally the regulars in there are ok.

Rathfarnham village is great though. Rowans is fantastic, as is Revels.

yoyo wrote: »
    Another thing, Nutgrove and Rathfarnham are different areas, Nutgrove isnt in Rathfarnham, but its near it!

Nick
    Since when? I lived there most of my life and the postal address has always been "Rathfarnham, Dublin 14", not Nutgrove. Even the shopping center's postal address is Rathfarnham according to An Post:http://locator.anpost.ie/locator_offices.asp?grof=2914&county=14&dublin=yes&office=Nutgrove

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Since when? I lived there most of my life and the postal address has always been "Rathfarnham, Dublin 14", not Nutgrove. Even the shopping center's postal address is Rathfarnham according to An Post:http://locator.anpost.ie/locator_offices.asp?grof=2914&county=14&dublin=yes&office=Nutgrove

My bad, I always thought they were different, as there were 2 different names for the shopping centres, nutgrove shopping centre & Rathfarnham shopping centre

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Just thought I'd add The Glenside as another watering hole which hasn't been mentioned yet. Tis the pub with the big thatched roof. Grand spot.

garbanzo wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add The Glenside as another watering hole which hasn't been mentioned yet. Tis the pub with the big thatched roof. Grand spot.
    I mentioned it 7 posts ago!

It's a nice pub but it used to be nicer when it had the high ceilings and the upstairs area that let you look down amongst the rest of the pub.

Also a lot of nutgrovians seem to be hanging around there, and they're not good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

Handy for Silvio's, one of the best chippers on the Southside.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Futurewarrior

Handy for Silvio's, one of the best chippers

Are you joking? You get fook all and its a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

i live on the grange road and most of the pubs are not great, the orchard is ok but the castle has gone down hill since they dropped their prices, and as for the sarah curren , that place is a kip.The yellow house is full of oldies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

Are you joking? You get fook all and its a rip off.

quality not quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

alie wrote: »
    The yellow house is full of oldies.

Hey! :(

Nutgrove is perfectly fine. It's just not as 'pretty' as the rest of Rathfarnham (bar Whitechurch).

Zamboni wrote: »
    Hey! :(

Nutgrove is perfectly fine. It's just not as 'pretty' as the rest of Rathfarnham (bar Whitechurch).
    The yellow house is not in nutgrove!:(

fwiw I got a silvio's recently and it was absolutely foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Rb wrote: »
    fwiw I got a silvio's recently and it was absolutely foul.

I've gotta say that i've never seen the attraction of silvio's. I've never thought it was anything special!

Bryn wrote: »
    I've gotta say that i've never seen the attraction of silvio's. I've never thought it was anything special!

It's handy when you've been in town on the sauce and your bus home stops right outside ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

alie wrote: »
    i live on the grange road and most of the pubs are not great, the orchard is ok but the castle has gone down hill since they dropped their prices, and as for the sarah curren , that place is a kip.The yellow house is full of oldies.

bo11ox!I dont consider meself an 'oldie' - great spot to watch a football or hurling game- all well up for it - good pint of stout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Pubs to frequent in the village are:

1. Revels
    2. Yellow House
    3. Castle
    4. what ever the inn is called these days stay away, only people barred from others go in it.

blue4ever wrote: »
    bo11ox!I dont consider meself an 'oldie' - great spot to watch a football or hurling game- all well up for it - good pint of stout
    Glad you enjoy but i neither like footie or hurling and i dont drink guinness!!:p

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    Pubs to frequent in the village are:

1. Revels
    2. Yellow House
    3. Castle
    4. what ever the inn is called these days stay away, only people barred from others go in it.

Is the inn still open, i passed yesterday and it looks derelict?

Advertisement