Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing the Masters in GIS and Remote Sensing?

Options
  • 12-04-2009 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

I'm graduating as a Spatial Planner this year and considering doing the 1 year GIS & Remote Sensing Masters in Maynooth. Did an introductory module in GIS during the Planning course and enjoyed it so just looking for anyone here that might be doing the Masters course at the moment.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Cant speak for the postgrad course (I didnt do it), but many friends have. I took GIS and remote sensing in the final year of my degree and loved it.

Lecturers are great, dedicated facilities, a department with many staff active in GIS/modelling techniques, and you have the option to complete a thesis for an MSc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cheers Efla. Our lecturer in Bolton St. recommended the course. Would be nice to work in some new/dedicated facilities after the mess of Bolton St.

Do you know if your friends found employment after completing the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 splash137

I think there is a substantial work placement as part of this course so if you excell at this I'm sure the chances of that firm keeping you on would be good! Definitely a worthwhile course I think.

Cheers Splash. That would be a welcome change anyway, chances of employment in Planning at the moment are somewhere between slim and none.

Have people you know done this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 splash137

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Cheers Efla. Our lecturer in Bolton St. recommended the course. Would be nice to work in some new/dedicated facilities after the mess of Bolton St.

Do you know if your friends found employment after completing the course?

None of my direct friends have done the course but i've attended a couple of talks from the organiser Dr. Paul Gibson disuccsing the course and he has always been positive about graduates getting GIS/RS related jobs after it. I would definitely get in contact with Paul about the course & employment opportunities and also look on the Dept. website though info is sparse on it regarding the MSc in GIS/RS... http://geography.nuim.ie/

• Advertisement

Thanks again, will give him a ring about it on Monday. I've applied for it anyways to give myself an option in January if nothing is turning up. Had a chat with my old lecturer too and she reckons its a good area to get into.

Got a 1st in my undergrad so looks like I'm gonna be doing this MSc.

Anyone else??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

Thought I'd drag this thread back up as I've just accepted a place on the Msc in GIS and remote sensing in Maynooth. Did you end up taking the course this year Rowley? If so, how have you been getting on? Hope you got work placement sorted ok.

bat boy wrote: »
    Thought I'd drag this thread back up as I've just accepted a place on the Msc in GIS and remote sensing in Maynooth. Did you end up taking the course this year Rowley? If so, how have you been getting on? Hope you got work placement sorted ok.

Yup, ended up doing the course. Actually on work placement at the minute as it happens. Really enjoying the GIS side of it but absolutely despise the Remote Sensing aspect, don't understand it, don't want to understand of it and don't see the relationship between the two disciplines. I would much prefer if it was purely GIS.

Lecturers and facilities are grand though. Few tough projects and late nights so far but nothing too taxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Hi

Does anyone know anything about the Geospatial Engineering M.Sc in Dit. I would really like to get into surveying an work more outdoors.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement