Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch removal

Options
  • 02-05-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi all,
    was wondering what the success rate of having scratches polished off from the casing or face of a watch? I've taken a pic of my own watch which is coming up on 6 years old now, the face and surround at the 5 o'clock position have the worst.. the rest are just from general wear and tear which don't bother me so much. The scratches on the face have softened a bit over time... depth is probably around 0.05mm for the worst ones.

Soo, has anyone already had watches repaired for this type of thing, if so, what were the results like?

See attached pic of the offending marks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Found this on the Watchuseek archive. General consensus from other sources is that replacing the glass is easier and safer, and unless you have the right equipment get a professional to do the case.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/archive/index.php/t-228323.html

I've used Polywatch from Timefactors for acrylic glasses but yours I believe is mineral glass. You could try it with a Dremel tool but I imagine it would take a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Thanks for that, very informative link. I think I'll look into getting an abrasive paste like the ones mentioned on that forum... maybe I'll have some luck, although I think the scratches I have are deeper than the ones mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

some people recomend brasso.

Advertisement