Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bin Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I think it was very short sighted of the Councils to have the contracts ending/beginning on Jan 1st.

The whole country is still in holiday mode/hungover, and it's the time of year that probably has the largest amount of domestic recyclable waste. Add to that the dark evenings (trucks can't read street signs) and weather (wind blowing rubbish everywhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 shadey

Our bin was eventually collected yesterday evening. Only 11 days late!! I hope that the rest of you out there that all waiting for your first collection of 2009 will have a positive outcome soon. We had a few lastic bags with overflow recyclables on top of the bin - in fairness to the collectors, they took those as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GreyhoundD22

Folks

ALL plastics can go into the green bin - as long as they've been cleaned or rinsed. That includes bags, containers, bottles, etc.

Collections: Shadey, I'm glad your bin was emptied. We're in the process of catching up with the backlog that was left from December, and I cannot emphasize how much there was.

Additionally, there have been some teething issues with apartment collections, and we're ironing this out too.

As another comment mentioned, this is a very large contract and will also come with issues re the handover. What was never anticipated was the level of missed collections from December.

Again, we hope to be fully on top of things within the coming weeks.

GreyhoundD22

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Hi, I'm wondering can you put the pet food pouches into the green bin (after washing), they seem to be some type of aluminium material?

Will you let me know what make they are and I'll check for you?

More than likely it's okay to put them into the green bin, but I just want to be 100% sure!

Thanks, GreyhoundD22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Big thumbs up to Greyhound. Our black bin hasn't gone out since Christmas & I look like I'll possibly get another two-three weeks out of it. Because of all the plastic being recycled, out waste has gone way down.

Credit where it's due guys, you're going a great job !

Hiya, sorry I don't have the box anymore those pouches come in, and won't be buying any till the weekend. I've scanned a pouch it has the recycle sign on it. Maybe the scan will be enough for you to tell me if they're ok for the green bin?

Those pouches can be put into the green bin. The key thing is to make sure they're CLEAN.

Thanks, GreyhoundD22

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

iMax wrote: »
    Big thumbs up to Greyhound. Our black bin hasn't gone out since Christmas & I look like I'll possibly get another two-three weeks out of it. Because of all the plastic being recycled, out waste has gone way down.

Credit where it's due guys, you're going a great job !

Ditto here. The inclusion of plastic in the recycling bin has drastically reduced the black bin. The only downside is having to wash all the plastic - but hey it's worth it.

Dudara

Thanks for your positive comments. We are still trying to iron out a few collection issues, but it's nice to get good news!

I too find it a chore washing plastic, but it is definitely worth it. Without doing this the level of contamination in the bin would be much higher, as it's not just that particular item that's dirty, but all the other items it comes into contact with, particularly when it ends up in the back of the bin truck.

I tend to use dish water after I've done the dishes, so minimising the amount of water used in the whole process. That way, everyone benefits.

We'll be adding additional sections to the website over the coming weeks relating to recycling and recovery, so this should help with guidance.

And separately (and lastly!); I've just received my brown bin from Dublin City Council which now means no black bin waste. I basically have 100% recycling & recovery meaning no landfill.

Thanks, GreyhoundD22

• Advertisement

Bit off topic, but maybe someone knows? I have wood chip pellet type cat litter and am wondering if I can put this into the brown bin? If yes I'd hardly need the grey bin anymore..

cltt97 wrote: »
    Bit off topic, but maybe someone knows? I have wood chip pellet type cat litter and am wondering if I can put this into the brown bin? If yes I'd hardly need the grey bin anymore..

Hello, just got confirmation from Dublin City Council that you can put it into your brown bin.

GreyhoundD22

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Last month my Green bin fell into one of the Greyhound trucks.

My neighbour and I both witnessed the event.

I rang Fingal CC two weeks ago and they said that the incident wasn't logged by Greyhound. They (Fingal CC) agreed to send me out a replacement without cost.

...still waiting on my new green bin.

Last month my Green bin fell into one of the Greyhound trucks.

My neighbour and I both witnessed the event.

I rang Fingal CC two weeks ago and they said that the incident wasn't logged by Greyhound. They (Fingal CC) agreed to send me out a replacement without cost.

...still waiting on my new green bin.

Dublinwriter, you need to ring Fingal County Council. Ask them did they log the request on your request and when did they pass the request for bin replacement to Greyhound.

It is the responsibility of each local authority to inform Greyhound of their bin replacement schedules.

Thanks, GreyhoundD22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Kia07

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what day green bins are collected in Ongar, we are in new estate, barnwell hansfield?

Also would ye know who do i get brown bin from??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just a quick question for Greyhound, I know they aren't the only ones that do this.

Why can bin companies not leave bins at the kerb where they found them? At the very least, bins should not be tossed back into driveways - this causes people to have to stop the car in the middle of the road while they move the bin.

Again you're not the only ones to blame - it seems to be acceptable practice - but for the sake of no real extra work it would be so much safer.

I don't mind the bins being together, it's no hassle to get it from the next house down rather than directly outside. But please, please put them up on the kerb where we leave them or at the very least, not blocking driveways.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marksquirt

Hi Kia, they are collected every second Friday but i can't remember which one!

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Just a quick question for Greyhound, I know they aren't the only ones that do this.

Why can bin companies not leave bins at the kerb where they found them? At the very least, bins should not be tossed back into driveways - this causes people to have to stop the car in the middle of the road while they move the bin.

Again you're not the only ones to blame - it seems to be acceptable practice - but for the sake of no real extra work it would be so much safer.

I don't mind the bins being together, it's no hassle to get it from the next house down rather than directly outside. But please, please put them up on the kerb where we leave them or at the very least, not blocking driveways.

Thanks for your comments. I'll mention this to the Green Bin Service Dept and if it persists, please email customercare@greenbin.ie.

Thanks, Greyhound

Kia07 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me what day green bins are collected in Ongar, we are in new estate, barnwell hansfield?

Also would ye know who do i get brown bin from??

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Brown Bin: Ongar is in Fingal County Council area and as far as I know, bins have/are being delivered. You need to contact their Waste management division.

Green Bin collection: this is fortnightly. Your next collection is Friday 24 April and it's every two weeks thereafter.

Thanks, Greyhound

Fingal has told me that there is a delay in delivering brown bins. With regard to your area, they say it's only 'partially' filled, which is affecting delivery. Black bin has precedence too.

As I said below, contact Fingal's environment dept and they will log your order. You can get information on what can go into the bin at http://www.dublinwaste.ie/files/BB%20A3%20English.pdf.

Best, Greyhound
    Apologies for the delay in replying.

Brown Bin: Ongar is in Fingal County Council area and as far as I know, bins have/are being delivered. You need to contact their Waste management division.

Green Bin collection: this is fortnightly. Your next collection is Friday 24 April and it's every two weeks thereafter.

Thanks, Greyhound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Put out out Green Bin this morning, and now it's disappeared.

Someone moved it, and we can't find it.

How do we get another one?

Des wrote: »
    Put out out Green Bin this morning, and now it's disappeared.

Someone moved it, and we can't find it.

How do we get another one?

Hello Des, you wouldn't believe how often this happens - bins are stolen all across the city!

You need to make your request for a replacement bin to the local authority, so it really depends where you live. If you dial 1890 342 342 you will hear options, one of which is for bin replacement. This will tell you the specific number to call depending on which council area you live in.

I hope this helps.

GreyhoundD22

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks

Done

FFS - its is going to take 3-4 weeks for it to be delievered and there is a €30-40 charge

FFS, FFS, FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hello,

I was just wondering where to get the green bags for leaving outside? Our street (in East Wall) is too narrow for bins and most people leave out the green recycling bags for collection.
    I have tried all the local newsagents but none of them have the official bags.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Ok ill even pay you to tell me :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Oxygen just to provide them, so greyhound should now be since they have taken over. Contact number 1890 342 342
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=230327

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lark24

Folks

ALL plastics can go into the green bin - as long as they've been cleaned or rinsed. That includes bags, containers, bottles, etc.

Hi GreyhoundD22.

Is this mean I can put ALL plastic bags, yoghurt cartons, butter trays and plastic films as well into green bin? And one more thing . What about the metal lids from e.g. jam jars?

Many Thanks for the answer.

(In this way waste companies maybe shoul thing about supplying 2-3 bins for dirrrent materials.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think the Greyhound rep has disappeared.

On the off chance he reads this again, is there any chance of getting a new Calendar? The one on our fridge is gone out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

On the off chance he reads this again, is there any chance of getting a new Calendar? The one on our fridge is gone out of date.

Same here. Rang Greyhound a few months back after their new calender came out and it wasn't being followed. They said to use the Oxygen one while they print new ones of their own,the first ones were wrong apparently. Now the Oxygen one is out of date so i'm guessing at every 2nd monday for collection(around my way).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Or replacement bags (North Strand area)?

I work in a school trying to implement the Green Schools initiative, but at the moment there seems to be some difficulties between Greyhound and DCC, which I don't fully understand but in the heel of the hunt, we have loads of recyclables not being collected and going off in skips at a cost to the school and the environment.

Advertisement