Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Superficial: Men or Women?

Options

Comments

SeekUp wrote: »
    So in order to get paid the same amount as my male coworker who holds the same position as myself, I have to give up my boobs and sass? No thanks. :pac:

Nah, did I suggest that? But surely you can agree that you should be expected to put in the same amount of time (both official & unofficial), and work just as hard? I still believe that if a woman chooses to have children, then she's sacrificing part of the time she could be focusing on her career. Why should single men who have sacrificed their own relationships/family be penalised simply because you're a woman who wishes to have a child? That is Equality.

Can you show me where you would be working, where you have the same work & working hours as a male worker, and get paid less?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

One thing I found really funny was that the female posters started out by saying how women were prevented from being educated, and becoming famous inventors/writers/explorers etc. and then they listed many of the women who did indeed become famous by doing just that. If those women were capable of doing what they did, there was nothing preventing the other women of their times from doing the same. Except for the fear of failure.. Since success guaranteed their freedoms (sortof).

Women seem to think that they hold the Title when it comes to discrimination, and yet men have been discriminated on looks, age, size, religion, colour, etc for centuries. Doesn't really count though, in the big scheme of things, because... We're Men! And Men have to face adversity! woohoo!

Its true that women were indeed excluded from many areas of employment and education, which were considered unseemly for them (depending on the country involved). The problem is that posters seem to be including all countries under the same blanket ban. During the eighteen hundreds, France held more relaxed viewpoints on the education of women, whereas Britain held more traditional viewpoints. And these perceptions shifted over time.

Also when I see these posts about women being downtrodden, I have to wonder are these people aware that women held many rights men couldn't be allowed to have. The avoidance of being conscripted to fight in just about every war up to WW2, and even then restrictions existed. Even now, I don't see too many countries with all female battalions... Or women working on Trash collection.. There are still plenty of jobs out there that have a clear majority of men working there, because women don't want those jobs.. (but that's ok, somehow)

I see women as being more superficial than men on one single point. Equality. They all say they want it, but they don't, really. They want the rights & salaries that men have, and at the same time retain the bonuses of being a woman. Its not about equality, and yet many women preach that they still deserve it, despite their lack of motivation to get out there and get it. I figure they just want it handed to them. Personally, I don't have a problem with a woman wanting to be equal with me. Fair game. If only, it was going to be that though.

Lastly, women check men out just as much as we do them. We look at their faces/bodies, but women look at our faces/bodies/clothes. Not really much difference.

As for them looking for an emotional aspect more than men, I think that's just a stereotype that hasn't been updated in the last 100 years. ;)

Seeing as you didn't bother to read the entire thread, I'll break it down for you:

A man came on and said all the great contributors to science, art, philosophy etc. have been men.

I then said that seeing as women were denied an education for centurys, this is hardly surprising.

Nobody said women are denied an education now.

But seeing as men had a step ahead until roughly the last century( last 40 yrs in Ireland) this is hardly surprising.

Of course men want to gloss over the fact that they treated women terribly over the years, but the facts remain that they did.

For an example, in the 17th century when women tried to educate themselves, they were called witches and killed in their thousands BY MEN.

Also about what you said about the army. Who decided women weren't allowed in the army? Men. Now that women are allowed in the army, taking the british army for example, guess what, there are loads of women in the army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

OP: I don't know, don't care, and don't think it matters a damn.

Seeing as you didn't bother to read the entire thread, I'll break it down for you:

Actually I did read the whole thread. Found it immensely interesting in fact. And my post still stands.
    A man came on and said all the great contributors to science, art, philosophy etc. have been men.

I then said that seeing as women were denied an education for centurys, this is hardly surprising.

And that is different to what I said, how? ahh, so its just that it was a male poster who raised it... But what i said is still true.

i.e. the female posters started out by saying how women were prevented from being educated, and becoming famous inventors/writers/explorers etc. and then they listed many of the women who did indeed become famous by doing just that.
    Nobody said women are denied an education now.

neither did i
    But seeing as men had a step ahead until roughly the last century( last 40 yrs in Ireland) this is hardly surprising.

A step ahead? yes, i suppose so. Men still are considering the numbers of women unwilling to actually compete with them for successful careers, and are waiting for it to be handed on a silver plate.
    Of course men want to gloss over the fact that they treated women terribly over the years, but the facts remain that they did.

Because we were all alive back then, and it was the male posters here that held women down? :rolleyes:

Actually, I can see your point. And yet, I have to wonder how it is indeed mens fault, when women always had the capability to change the system. What changed in the last 40 years to allow women the ability to change everything? Perhaps that enough women actually wanted to change things?
    For an example, in the 17th century when women tried to educate themselves, they were called witches and killed in their thousands BY MEN.

lol. And the Inquisition didn't have nuns which also denounced women and men as witches/warlocks. Servants of the devil and all that. Thousands of men were killed in the Inquisitions, but that wouldn't fit in with your persecution of women perception. Traditionally, it was the women who were more religious, and most likely to report people to priests for "unclean" habits. Never mind the thousands who were simply killed because of their religion. I guess you would prefer that the Inquisitions were just instigated to hold women back..
    Also about what you said about the army. Who decided women weren't allowed in the army? Men. Now that women are allowed in the army, taking the british army for example, guess what, there are loads of women in the army.

How many women have served in combat units? I guess serving in non-combat area's makes up for all the men that have been forced to fight in the past?

As for who decided things, of course, it was men... because there were no women in the army to make the decisions.. :rolleyes: Perhaps because women themselves didn't want to dirty themselves with such a dangerous profession?

I notice you don't actually talk about equality, and instead how everything had been decided by men... back to the blame game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Actually I did read the whole thread. Found it immensely interesting in fact. And my post still stands.

And that is different to what I said, how? ahh, so its just that it was a male poster who raised it... But what i said is still true.

i.e. the female posters started out by saying how women were prevented from being educated, and becoming famous inventors/writers/explorers etc. and then they listed many of the women who did indeed become famous by doing just that.

neither did i

A step ahead? yes, i suppose so. Men still are considering the numbers of women unwilling to actually compete with them for successful careers, and are waiting for it to be handed on a silver plate.

Because we were all alive back then, and it was the male posters here that held women down? :rolleyes:

Actually, I can see your point. And yet, I have to wonder how it is indeed mens fault, when women always had the capability to change the system. What changed in the last 40 years to allow women the ability to change everything? Perhaps that enough women actually wanted to change things?

lol. And the Inquisition didn't have nuns which also denounced women and men as witches/warlocks. Servants of the devil and all that. Thousands of men were killed in the Inquisitions, but that wouldn't fit in with your persecution of women perception. Traditionally, it was the women who were more religious, and most likely to report people to priests for "unclean" habits. Never mind the thousands who were simply killed because of their religion. I guess you would prefer that the Inquisitions were just instigated to hold women back..

How many women have served in combat units? I guess serving in non-combat area's makes up for all the men that have been forced to fight in the past?

As for who decided things, of course, it was men... because there were no women in the army to make the decisions.. :rolleyes: Perhaps because women themselves didn't want to dirty themselves with such a dangerous profession?

I notice you don't actually talk about equality, and instead how everything had been decided by men... back to the blame game.

You're missing the most primal, basic thing about it.

Men are physically the stronger sex, that's how it started. Women are physically the weaker sex, and therefore a lot easier to tell to put up and shut up, we're right you're wrong, etc. It has changed a lot in this last century (even the 1800's were looking quite a bit better), but it stood that way for thousands of years.

You ask why women in centuries previous did not stand up and speak out? Men knew this. I'm not saying all men were terrible horrible oppressors and beaters of women, but it was one hell of a different time-- they still had the power of threat. It obviously doesn't make up for it entirely, but look at the Middle East. Particularly some of the recent deaths in regards to the Defiant Poets Society. Imagine that on a global scale. Sure, there's some women who defy it and manage to become incredible people but there's even more who are killed for it every day.

One of the reasons it is different in this century is life and war and violence have hit a paradigm shift. It's not okay anymore. It's not accepted in society. Women are allowed to speak out now, because there is a better understanding of the fact that all people are people regardless of genders and are capable of the same achievements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

The fact that women were denied an education in the distant past does nothing to explain why they are such weak contributors to art, literature, philosophy and science (at the highest level) in the modern world.

The fact that women were denied an education in the distant past does nothing to explain why they are such weak contributors to art, literature, philosophy and science (at the highest level) in the modern world.

Sense of competition, really.

Women are not nearly as competitive as men. Men are obsessed with being the best at everything, whereas women are perfectly content living their lives once they hit a point at which they're comfortable.

Definitely doesn't indicate who's smarter, just who's more competitive and driven. Goes back through evolution, really, it's in the nature of men to compete and in the nature of women to maintain stability.

liah wrote: »

Women are not nearly as competitive as men. Men are obsessed with being the best at everything, whereas women are perfectly content living their lives once they hit a point at which they're comfortable.

Definitely doesn't indicate who's smarter, just who's more competitive and driven. Goes back through evolution, really, it's in the nature of men to compete and in the nature of women to maintain stability.

Women are just as competitive as men they just channel it differently.

Let's be honest if men were the same as women we'd all still be living in caves spending all our time moaning about each other behind each other's backs.

Women are just as competitive as men they just channel it differently.

Let's be honest if men were the same as women we'd all still be living in caves spending all our time moaning about each other behind each other's backs.

If men were the same as women there'd be a lot less war.

You're probably right but at the same time the sum of human achievement could be written on an ant's balls with a paint brush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I have to say this is true.

I much prefer the straight out b*stards, to the ones who pretend to love helping old grannys and say theyre saving themselves for marriage, and then you find out theyre d biggest player in town!

Let's be honest, you (probably) and most women prefer the straight out b*stards to the ones who actually do love helping old grannys, etc.

Men may be more superficial in their physical attractions but the tastes of women in men's personality seem to be much more uniform.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The difference between an out and out bastard and a fakely overly nice one you later discover is an out and out bastard is that the former don't even care enough about you to not let you see how much of a bastard they actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

There not ?
    Dida Maraino Spanish windsurfer shes highly completive or tennis players there competitive that argument is pointless.... Once you have a passion for something the next step is being competitive, any body who's into anything sporting will say that regardless of gender! I think your argument is slightly ignorant and lacks knowledge....

I know women who are even more competitive in what they work as its them there not interested in having boyfriends kids just work and working to there goal... What exactly are men competing for ?
    I know women who about as stable as drunk person seriously your argument is pretty naive to be perfectly honest :rolleyes:

There not ?
    Dida Maraino Spanish windsurfer shes highly completive or tennis players there competitive that argument is pointless.... Once you have a passion for something the next step is being competitive, any body who's into anything sporting will say that regardless of gender! I think your argument is slightly ignorant and lacks knowledge....

I know women who are even more competitive in what they work as its them there not interested in having boyfriends kids just work and working to there goal... What exactly are men competing for ?
    I know women who about as stable as drunk person seriously your argument is pretty naive to be perfectly honest :rolleyes:

We're not talking individuals, though, we're talking about gender differences on a large scale. Hardly ignorant or lacking of knowledge, of course there's competitive women, but there is a larger percentage of men who are more competitive than women, enough to make it a gender difference.

Generalizations are a part of life. There's exceptions to every rule. Everyone knows that. But it's ignorant to say that men, as a collective, aren't more competitive than females, as a collective.

You're missing the most primal, basic thing about it.

Men are physically the stronger sex, that's how it started. Women are physically the weaker sex, and therefore a lot easier to tell to put up and shut up, we're right you're wrong, etc. It has changed a lot in this last century (even the 1800's were looking quite a bit better), but it stood that way for thousands of years.

Haha... I have to laugh at this. Men haven't missed this primal thing, but women seem to have. Or rather is more convenient to ignore it. For the last few decades, men have been blamed for keeping women back but its something more basic than that. For women's own protection they placed themselves behind men in society. They accepted less control over their lives in view of having a lesser but safer life. And when enough women had decided that the time for this was gone, they went ahead and sought equality.

Men on the other hand had no sex to hide behind, and had to deal with all the risks and rewards that life could offer.
    You ask why women in centuries previous did not stand up and speak out? Men knew this.

Yup. as above.
    I'm not saying all men were terrible horrible oppressors and beaters of women, but it was one hell of a different time-- they still had the power of threat. It obviously doesn't make up for it entirely, but look at the Middle East. Particularly some of the recent deaths in regards to the Defiant Poets Society. Imagine that on a global scale. Sure, there's some women who defy it and manage to become incredible people but there's even more who are killed for it every day.

Sure.. Of course there are. I'm not saying that all the systems that certain societies have are fair and just. Depending on the culture, these systems served a purpose somewhere in the past, but haven't been dropped even though the need isn't really there anymore. But women have a major influence in modern society, and can change that society if enough of them wish it. It may be dangerous, but if the desire is there, the change will happen.

But if women continue to wait for men to make the changes, then it probably won't happen. Men will continue to accept the current situation assuming that enough people want it to continue. The movement of feminism (not the nut jobs) contained many men who wished for the system to change, but it needed a major support of women themselves for it to succeed.
    One of the reasons it is different in this century is life and war and violence have hit a paradigm shift. It's not okay anymore. It's not accepted in society. Women are allowed to speak out now, because there is a better understanding of the fact that all people are people regardless of genders and are capable of the same achievements.

Its different now because western society has moved away for the most part away from physical power to other forms of power. Women have a greater chance than previously because industry, science, politics, etc don't rely on the physical strength of the people involved. So women have an equal chance as men, although there are still areas where men continue to have an advantage. And rightly so, since women also have their own areas where they have their own advantages.

The thing is that equality is essentially here. Women have the ability now in western society to achieve all the same goals/targets as men. The problem is that women don't want to have the same ability as men. They want to have more than men. Perhaps its a desire to punish men for the centuries that women sat in the background, but now women want everything. And so there is the movement of sorts to place all the blame on men, and thus provide women with the "high moral ground" for their continued quest for dominance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Men are way more superficial about looks nd all that

We're not talking individuals, though, we're talking about gender differences on a large scale. Hardly ignorant or lacking of knowledge, of course there's competitive women, but there is a larger percentage of men who are more competitive than women, enough to make it a gender difference.are a part of life

Im not either I was using them as an example... large scaled women are completive mommy's trying to better then there friends weather its baking or the man there going out....

. There's exceptions to every rule. Everyone knows that. But it's ignorant to say that men, as a collective, aren't more competitive than females, as a collective.

Excuse me ? pull the blinds up will ya!.. :rolleyes:

GAA women play no there not competive for booth hurling and football..
    women dont play squash ? women dont play badmington...

they are as competitive you just never noticed it something closer to home cheerleader's net ball.. la crofts all highly competitive... just you've never noticed simply because your heads either been stuck in a book or in your own world :rolleyes:

that ****e doesn't wash with me as I've seen it from booth gender's and i would say its = with out adout regardless of my previous examples :rolleyes:

And with that lovely statement you've just wiped out all the women who have ever achieved any degree of success in business or any industry with female management. Women can be as competitive as men. The only real difference is in the area of contact sports, which again comes down to physical strength.

The reason "why they are such weak contributors to art, literature, philosophy and science (at the highest level) in the modern world." comes down to motivation. Previously women felt that having a family, and staying a mother/housewife was sufficient. Now those desires are changing and women are beginning to look to achieve in those areas. But it does take time to catch up.
    Definitely doesn't indicate who's smarter, just who's more competitive and driven.

All of which are based on the individual, not the sex of the person.
    Goes back through evolution, really, it's in the nature of men to compete and in the nature of women to maintain stability.

Ahh, those lovely stereotypes of generations gone by, and we're still labeled with that rubbish. There is nothing in our evolution to direct men to be any less desirable of stability than women. :rolleyes:

And you're basing that on, what? A little reality would be nice. Women have never been in a position dominance to prove that little concept. If men were more like women, it could as easily mean a lot more war.

Women can be as aggressive to other women as men are to men. Maybe not a purely physical level, but considering the toys available to governments these days, women could get as nasty as they wanted. :rolleyes:
    We're not talking individuals, though, we're talking about gender differences on a large scale. Hardly ignorant or lacking of knowledge, of course there's competitive women, but there is a larger percentage of men who are more competitive than women, enough to make it a gender difference.

The only reason that the gender differences in competitiveness is larger is because so many women have chosen not to compete in activities outside of the home. Not all women consider being a housewife shameful. There are also plenty of employment which have a majority of women like nursing, primary school teaching, etc. :rolleyes:
    Generalizations are a part of life. There's exceptions to every rule. Everyone knows that. But it's ignorant to say that men, as a collective, aren't more competitive than females, as a collective.

Generalizations are fine. We all make them. But it would be nice to see some thought going into using them. I think I've shown a number of reasons why your idea of women being less competitive is flawed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

how come glamorous women always marry either footballers , artists and in irelands case , property tycoons

thats right , because women are more superficial , you ever heard of a rosana davidson or an andrea roche or a whatever robbie keanes model wifes name is , marrying a garda or a farmer

Im not either I was using them as an example... large scaled women are completive mommy's trying to better then there friends weather its baking or the man there going out....

Excuse me ? pull the blinds up will ya!.. :rolleyes:

GAA women play no there not competive for booth hurling and football..
    women dont play squash ? women dont play badmington...

they are as competitive you just never noticed it something closer to home cheerleader's net ball.. la crofts all highly competitive... just you've never noticed simply because your heads either been stuck in a book or in your own world :rolleyes:

that ****e doesn't wash with me as I've seen it from booth gender's and i would say its = with out adout regardless of my previous examples :rolleyes:

Methinks ye missed the point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

... so where are all the companies set up by women?

fecking nowhere becase most of em decided to become nurses, teachers and marketing people....

What's wrong with someone who wants to care for other people and educate others?

If we didn't have people like that in the world, we'd all be f*cked.

I think I've shown a number of reasons why your idea of women being less competitive is flawed.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1308
    At a recent presentation at Wharton, attendees watched as a New Yorker cartoon flashed on the screen showing a group of women in what looked suspiciously like a faculty club dining room. The caption read: “I hear we’re all getting Valentines from Lawrence Summers.” The reference, of course, was to the Harvard University president’s famous remark in January that the lack of women in science and engineering might be caused in part by gender differences in aptitude.
    Stanford University economist and guest presenter Muriel Niederle, who clearly disagreed with Summers’ sentiment, used the cartoon to highlight some of her research into other possible factors behind the scarcity of women in top engineering and science positions. Niederle, the guest speaker at a Decision Processes Seminar, focused in particular on a paper she co-authored with University of Pittsburgh economist Lise Vesterlund titled, “Do Women Shy Away from Competition? Do Men Compete Too Much?”
    Her answer, at least to the first question, was a firm “Yes.” The research indicated that even at a task that women clearly perform as well as men, they are less likely to choose a competitive setting, more likely to underrate their performance when they have to guess at it, and perhaps even more likely to shy away from receiving feedback. “If women shy away from competition and men compete too much,” the authors wrote, “this … decreases the chance of women succeeding in competition for promotions and more lucrative jobs.”

Their conclusions were based on rigidly controlled experiment in which male and female subjects indicated a willingness, or lack of willingness, to have their work rated in a competitive -- in this case a tournament involving the solution of simple math problems. Men and women performed the tasks about equally well, she and Vesterlund found, but women at all ability levels were less likely to choose a tournament setting. There was no follow-up questioning to determine why the subjects -- University of Pittsburgh undergraduates -- made the choices they did.

The four-part experiment worked as follows: The subjects -- 40 men and 40 women -- were divided into 20 groups of two men and two women. They were paid a flat participation fee and additional money depending on how well they accomplished their task: adding as many groups of five-digit numbers as possible under a five-minute time limit. They could write on scratch paper but not use calculators.
    In the first part -- called task 1 -- the subjects were given five minutes to solve correctly as many problems as possible. They were given a piece rate of 50 cents for each correct answer. Since a screen kept track of correct answers, each knew how well he or she had done but not the scores of others in the group. They could also see who else was in their group.
    In task 2, the subjects were given a similar series of problems but were asked to solve them in a tournament format. The high scorer would get $2 per correct answer, the other three nothing. Participants in each group were not told immediately who had won the tournament. They learned this only after the experiment was over.
    In task 3, the subjects were asked whether they wanted to be paid on a piece-rate basis or a tournament basis. If they chose the tournament basis, their scores were evaluated against the scores of other group participants in task 2. Niederle said this assured that they weren’t competing against just those who chose to enter a tournament. By the same token, she said, their decision could in no way impact the potential earnings of others in the experiment. Participants whose scores were higher than the task 2 scores of their competitors got $2 per correct answer. Others got nothing.
    In task 4, subjects were again asked to make a choice. They could be paid 50 cents per correct answer in their task 1 performance, or they could enter a dummy tournament in which their task 1 performance was evaluated against that of the other three participants. If their score was highest, they got $2 per correct answer; otherwise they got nothing. Since no actual tournament was involved, the decision was unrelated to willingness to perform in a tournament, but rather to tolerance of risk and estimation of how well they had done previously.
    Niederle said that despite the stereotype of women not doing as well in math as men, she chose the simple arithmetic problems because research in the field showed that at this level there is no difference. “We tested anagrams,” she said, “and men did better.”
    At one point, Niederle cited a study indicating that just 2.5% of the five highest paid executives in a sample of large firms were women. In academia, she said, the picture is similar if one judges by rank. She also cited psychological studies on women’s reluctance to compete, and set out to test this.
    Among her findings:

· Twice as many men as women are likely to select a tournament setting rather than a non-competitive setting.

· If participants are told only their raw score and not their relative ranking, “men are significantly more overconfident about their relative ranking.”

· Women may be more risk-averse than men and more averse to receiving feedback on relative performance.
    Niederle found that in task 1 -- when everyone worked on a piece-rate basis -- there was no gender difference on performance. Both men and women also tended to do better in a competitive tournament setting and to improve by similar margins.
    But when the groups moved on to task 3, just 35% of the women chose a tournament setting compared with 73% of the men. Even the best-performing women were more reluctant to enter the tournament than the lowest-performing men.
    Although participants only knew their raw scores during the experiment, they were asked to estimate how well they had done relative to others. Here, she said, the differences were striking: 75% of the men guessed they had been best in their group compared with 43% of the women. Three quarters of the men felt they had finished in the top quartile as against less than half the women. Men’s greater optimism about their performance appeared to be only a partial explanation for their greater willingness to enter the tournament, she said: “High-performing women enter(ed) the tournament too rarely, and low-performing men enter(ed) the tournament too often.” In fact, she said, the difference between the willingness of men and women to enter the tournament was most pronounced among the top performing quartile in each group.
    While family pressures and sex discrimination are often blamed for the scarcity of women in high positions, particularly in science, math and engineering, the authors speculate that “women may shy away from competition simply because they dislike being in an environment where they have to compete.” “You might not like competition,” Niederle told the group, “even if you’re good at it.”
    But Niederle also cited the results of task 4 in her experiment -- when no tournament performance was required -- as evidence that women may also be more risk averse. In this task, 55% of the men chose the tournament compared with 25% of the women.
    In an interview after the talk, Niederle said she is encouraged by the interest in her topic that is being shown by economists as well as psychologists and sociologists. This, she said, may indicate growing concern about the loss of potential talent when women are underrepresented in certain fields. She plans to expand her own research into the area of affirmative action: For example, in an experiment such as hers, would women make different choices if there was a reward for being the highest-performing female in a group? This would, in effect, add an additional incentive for a female participant that would not be available to the males against whom she was competing. As for the academic world, she said she was concerned “whether men are more likely to seek out harder tasks than women. In college, more women pick the majors that ‘seem’ easy, such as English.”
    Some attendees at the presentation questioned using a task where men were perceived to be better. “Could men be more confident based on math stereotypes?” asked one woman. Another questioner, noting that participants could see others in their group at work, suggested that men’s body language might show more confidence and thus influence the female participants. A male audience member took a slightly different, and humorous, tack. “What if you had picked a task requiring patience?” he asked.

Methinks ye missed the point...

:rolleyes:

yet you throw fvcking statistics at us

:rolleyes:

Keep your rolleyes to yourself and read the above post, thanks.

Keep your rolleyes to yourself and read the above post, thanks.

statistics gtfo here will ya seriously....

statistics gtfo here will ya seriously....

Yes, of course I'm going to use statistics, what the hell else is there to use?

Personal experiences dictate nothing. It just means you know individuals. We are NOT talking about individuals. We are talking about collectives.

Bringing up statistics is a lot more valid than saying "oh I knew some person and she was so super competitive loike so you're totally wrong!!1"

Well actually common sense does a pretty good job.. I'm reading your article now. Its interesting, but I've already noticed a few odd bits in it. More later.
    Personal experiences dictate nothing. It just means you know individuals. We are NOT talking about individuals. We are talking about collectives.

Collectives mean nothing. Human competitiveness comes down to a very personal aspect. I know plenty of women highly competitive in work, who aren't the least bit competitive outside of work. Women who don't work in industries where there is a need to be competitive, don't have to have to be competitive.
    Bringing up statistics is a lot more valid than saying "oh I knew some person and she was so super competitive loike so you're totally wrong!!1"

Bringing up statistics are fine. But you brought up one article. Which doesn't refute what I have said in response to you. The article refers to just one point you made. Where is your answer to the rest?

I knew some person :rolleyes:the proof is in the pudding maybe open your eyes a bit....

I knew some person :rolleyes:the proof is in the pudding maybe open your eyes a bit....

Right, what you've brought up is sports teams and the like. So let's go with that.

1. There's an awful lot more men's sports teams than women's.
    2. There's an awful lot more men who are interested in sports than women.
    3. There's an awful lot more men willing to bet on sports than women (which is also a competition of sorts.)

More men even get into petty competitions-- gambling, bets, dares, even just regular drunken shenanigans such as drinking contests-- men turn everything into a competition. It's much, much more rare to see women do the same. Think of all the times you've seen men gambling, men betting, men going through with dares, and men going through with drinking contests/what have you, then compare it to the amount of times you've seen women do the same.

How about you open your eyes? You cannot honestly say that you see the exact same amount of competition out of women as men. It's just not true. Men are hardwired to be more competitive than women about competitive things. Women are competitive, sure, but not nearly to the lengths that men are, and are much more likely to pick their battles, so to speak.

Don't be so naïve. I'm all for equality but let's call a spade a spade.

• Advertisement

And with that lovely statement you've just wiped out all the women who have ever achieved any degree of success in business or any industry with female management. Women can be as competitive as men. The only real difference is in the area of contact sports, which again comes down to physical strength.

Sigh, don't nitpick, you know full well I'm generalizing so don't be a tosspot and go OHNOEZ YOU SAID ALL WOMEN AHHOMGGGGG YOU DISCREDIT EVERYONE!! Why does nobody on the internet understand that Generalization does not equal the insult of the individual? Next.
    The reason "why they are such weak contributors to art, literature, philosophy and science (at the highest level) in the modern world." comes down to motivation. Previously women felt that having a family, and staying a mother/housewife was sufficient. Now those desires are changing and women are beginning to look to achieve in those areas. But it does take time to catch up.

It's a factor, yes, I agree with that, but there are also factors which I've mentioned in previous posts which I can't be bothered sorting through all the rest of everyone else's posts to find. It's been covered.
    All of which are based on the individual, not the sex of the person.

To a degree, yes, but just because evolution does not control us doesn't mean it hasn't still left its imprint. Also been covered.
    Ahh, those lovely stereotypes of generations gone by, and we're still labeled with that rubbish. There is nothing in our evolution to direct men to be any less desirable of stability than women. :rolleyes:

Well, actually, there is-- it's not to say they dislike stability, it's just men were the ones to go out risking their lives to provide for the family while the woman would require stability and safety in order to raise this family. See previous.
    And you're basing that on, what? A little reality would be nice. Women have never been in a position dominance to prove that little concept. If men were more like women, it could as easily mean a lot more war.

Women tend to be the more compassionate of genders. They are hardwired to sort out differences in their communities and families and be compassionate to individuals-- it isn't really in a woman's nature to want to get into the act of war, or at least no woman I've ever talked to, whereas men have seen fighting as a way to sort out differences for eons. Again, primal, and not in effect today, but it still left its imprint. There would be war but I'd reckon there would have been a lot less, women tend to want to avoid that sort of thing.
    Women can be as aggressive to other women as men are to men. Maybe not a purely physical level, but considering the toys available to governments these days, women could get as nasty as they wanted. :rolleyes:

Agreed, women vs. women is brutal but it's usually psychological warfare, it's rare that it gets physical (unless they're particularly scumbaggy ;)).
    The only reason that the gender differences in competitiveness is larger is because so many women have chosen not to compete in activities outside of the home. Not all women consider being a housewife shameful. There are also plenty of employment which have a majority of women like nursing, primary school teaching, etc. :rolleyes:

Article kind of covers the first bit. Never said there was anything shameful about being a housewife, hell I'd be one if I could actually bear the thought of having children. Not sure what you're trying to get at with your last bit, I've not said anything to the contrary.
    Generalizations are fine. We all make them. But it would be nice to see some thought going into using them. I think I've shown a number of reasons why your idea of women being less competitive is flawed.

See first bit and previous article.

Advertisement