Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Superficial: Men or Women?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

What gender do you believe, in general (since not everyone should be tarred with the same brush, obviously, just looking at trends here), is more superficial?

I think women tend to find a larger variety of traits in a partner to be attractive-- in tLL, even in the standard Male Form Appreciation thread you get quite a few lads who aren't conventionally attractive but women will still swoon over, and the Strangely Attractive thread is even odder. It tends to be largely the sense of humour that is the ultimate decider, or confidence. All body types, face shapes, hair styles (or lack thereof), heights, etc. There's a lot fewer male models than expected, and the men who see these threads are often incredibly surprised at what women truly find attractive.

Men, on the other hand, tend to have a slightly more uniform standard of attraction, and in general it has incredibly little to do with personality. In all the "Would ya?" threads on here and the Female Form Appreciation thread in BGRH, you can't exactly deny a running theme-- all conventionally attractive, slim and/or fit girls, and quite a lot of them are models. Men tend to be an awful lot more critical about appearance in picking a potential partner (for sex or otherwise) and are also a lot quicker to write a girl off if she isn't what he'd normally look for in a girl, physically, despite having an attractive personality.

It's also a very visual and obvious trend in watching couples-- far more often will you see an amazing looking girl with a not-so-hot guy than an amazing looking guy with a not-so-hot looking girl.

I find it interesting that men here often complain that attractive girls only go after assholes or male model-a-likes or men with money, when I constantly see the opposite. I'm not like that, and I honestly haven't met many (if any) girls who are like that. In my view it seems to stem from jealousy and lack of confidence on the part of the complainer rather than the person they're slagging actually possessing any of these traits.

But that's enough out of me, I could be completely wrong. What do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Both are equally superficial in most respects. I more often see couples where I'd've said the fella was better looking than the woman. That's not a scientific measure obviously. :P
    Looks aren't the only thing either sex are superficial about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Men who are afflicted with the ghey.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Men could defly give the better Superfacial

Hazys wrote: »
    Men could defly give the better Superfacial
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Men are definitely more superficial.

I had this fella follow me round all last saturday night. I was talking to him for a while, (cue he then thought I wanted to sleep with him but thats another discussion about men!!!!!)

I says 'I have a boyfriend!!', and he goes 'I cant leave you alone you're a pretty one. you're so pretty thats all I want in a girl' etc etc.

Looks are important to women too, but not to the same extent as to men.

This all goes back to my theory that men are obsessed with sex because they cant get it all the time, whereas women can get it anytime they want, and therefore aren't as bothered about it.

Hazys wrote: »

I think we have a bromance going on

Men are definitely more superficial.

I had this fella follow me round all last saturday night. I was talking to him for a while, (cue he then thought I wanted to sleep with him but thats another discussion about men!!!!!)

I says 'I have a boyfriend!!', and he goes 'I cant leave you alone you're a pretty one. you're so pretty thats all I want in a girl' etc etc.

Looks are important to women too, but not to the same extent as to men.

This all goes back to my theory that men are obsessed with sex because they cant get it all the time, whereas women can get it anytime they want, and therefore aren't as bothered about it.

You go girlfriend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Is sexual attraction more based on looks for men .... yes.

Are men more superficial .... no.

The vast majority of great authors ..... men.
    The vast majority of great artists .... men.
    The vast majority of great poets .... men.
    The vast majority of great scientists .... men.
    The vast majority of great philosophers (if not all) .... men.

You get the picture ......

• Advertisement

I think we have a bromance going on

if you click that last smilie, it's how i feel about what you just said :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Hard one to call.
    Both will obviously prefer the attractive ones (if given the choice).

One thing i have noticed over the years is that although girls do prefer good looking lads, a good few will give an average joe a chance if he has confidence, and although lads would prefer the good looking ladies, they will generally ride anything.

60/40, women being more superficial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

a) We're not talking about authors, artists, poets, scientists, philosophers. I'm talking about physical superficiality, not mental. That's an entirely different ballgame.
    b) ...they're all men because until quite recently women weren't allowed to do anything outside of the kitchen, much less write books, paint, write poems, be scientists, or.. well, think.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

Nothing at all to do with women being denied access to education for centuries, I'm sure.:rolleyes:

The vast majority of philiosophers (if not all) .... men.

Hardi har har.

I do believe the thread was asking are men more superficial when it comes to choosing a partner, and not anything else.

And in respose to the rest of your post: do you have any grasp of history at all?
    Yes men made up the majority of just about anything, and why is that? Because women were beaten down and killed by men up until this century if they even tried to get an education. Hell, women had to die to even get the vote from men. So dont spout any of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

When it comes to the physical attractiveness of a partner, yes I think generally men are more "superficial." But I don't think that's a negative thing. I think it's just biology. Men, in general, are inclined to seek out the most attractive woman they can find. It's how they're built.
    Of course there are exceptions, etc. This is just generally speaking.

Have I hit a raw nerve ?

Are women still denied an education?
    Because most great modern scientists/philosophers/oh yea I forgot MUSICIANS/etc/etc still seem to be men .......

Have I hit a raw nerve ?

Because most great modern scientists/philosophers/oh yea I forgot MUSICIANS still seem to be men .......

Come off it, you're not even using logic. Thought your superior male brain would at least grant you that?

Have I hit a raw nerve ?

Because most great modern scientists/philosophers/oh yea I forgot MUSICIANS still seem to be men .......

Probably because recent history is not so easily forgotten, mate. There's still societal pressures for women to get "girl jobs" and men to get "man jobs."

Though there's a lot more female musicians out there than you seem to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Hardi har har.

I do believe the thread was asking are men more superficial when it comes to choosing a partner, and not anything else.

And in respose to the rest of your post: do you have any grasp of history at all?
    Yes men made up the majority of just about anything, and why is that? Because women were beaten down and killed by men up until this century if they even tried to get an education. Hell, women had to die to even get the vote from men. So dont spout any of that nonsense.
    Men had to die to get the vote from other men; in Ireland, only 3 years passed between universal male suffrage and universal female suffrage. And this idea doesn't really hold water as most noblewomen sat around doing nothing (and thus had time to write and think, if they wanted), just as noblemen did, and many high-achieving men had little or no institutional support.

A woman's looks indicate fertility, so obviously men judge more on looks; a man who was attracted to infertile women wouldn't pass on his genes, after all. One could also ask, how many women would reject a man with no money vs. how many men would reject a woman with no money?

• Advertisement

I must have missed the societal pressure put on girls to discourage them from studying literature/science/philosophy....
    This wouldn't be pressure put on girls by other girls, would it ?

994 wrote: »
    Men had to die to get the vote from other men; in Ireland, only 3 years passed between universal male suffrage and universal female suffrage. And this idea doesn't really hold water as most noblewomen sat around doing nothing (and thus had time to write and think, if they wanted), just as noblemen did, and many high-achieving men had little or no institutional support.

A woman's looks indicate fertility, so obviously men judge more on looks; a man who was attracted to infertile women wouldn't pass on his genes, after all. One could also ask, how many women would reject a man with no money vs. how many men would reject a woman with no money?

I dont think this is true.

Were those noblewomen allowed to go to university? I think not. Sitting around doing nothing sounds like fun unitl you try it. Women who got married had to give up work as late as the 1970's in Ireland, so of course men have a massive head step in developments.

Money wise true for some women but not all. Speaking from experience, my boyfriend was broke when I met him, and I loved him straightaway. Money didn't come into it at all. Now he's rich and I still love him. Mone doesnt make you happy!

I must have missed the societal pressure put on girls to discourage them from studying literature/science/philosophy....

I'm interested in why you keep mentioning philosophy; would we happen to have a great unemployed thinker in our midst?

A philosophy degree's a waste of time.

Have I hit a raw nerve ?

Because most great modern scientists/philosophers/oh yea I forgot MUSICIANS/etc/etc still seem to be men .......

Of course women have it good now, but you said all the great scientists etc are men, thats because in history women werent allowed to study those things.

Its your personal opinion that most great scientists/philosophers/musicians are men nowadays.

Cause I know a great many brilliant women scientists, having a degree in science MYSELF. I can reel off as many as you want!

Music taste is personal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Darkbloom wrote: »
    I'm interested in why you keep mentioning philosophy; would we happen to have a great unemployed thinker in our midst?

good job you didnt misspell that one

Darkbloom wrote: »

Typical woman ^

Equates PHILOSOPHY with a philosophy degree and its associated earning power.

Typical woman ^

Equates PHILOSOPHY with a philosophy degree and its associated earning power.

How do you know the sex of people on here? Wheres that I cant find it!

No, mostly by their backwards-thinking, old-fashioned families and schools.

Women are still pushed to be homemakers and childbearers from an early age by their own families and communities, and are often berated if they don't aspire to have children and look after a family (there's been a thread in PI about this recently, actually). Men are pushed towards careers, and nobody really cares or notices if they don't want to have kids.

A lot of schools will focus subjects like arts and languages on girls and maths and sciences on lads. There is still a noticeable difference that will take a lot more time to overcome.

Women still get paid less in the same fields and positions as men, thus encouraging them to seek out "women's jobs" to feel less inferior.

But there are and have been some brilliant female scientists in the past-- look at Marie Curie! Female authors and poets-- a lot of the classics were written by females, Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, Virginia Woolf.

They were all when the odds were completely against them.

Last but not least, don't forget, a lot of men have taken an awful lot of credit for the work of their wives in the past. Don't discount it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Have I hit a raw nerve ?

I can hear an air raid siren........ :pac: are you wineding it ?

to a degree yeah liah your right, it was said some where in this forum that men get turned through visual stimulation

women apparently get turned on through mentle stimulation...

As for me yeah I am superficial, it doesnt mean that a pretty face isnt a pretty face, it does not mean that a woman whos a sise 12 is not attractive for that matter but then again some guys like bigger bodied women others like petite short girls other like bloned sise 10 6.0 to be fair id happily say that everybodys got a superficial tendenceys if you ask me!

• Advertisement

How do you know the sex of people on here? Wheres that I cant find it!

You can tell by their posts :pac:

Advertisement