Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 favre90

Hey anyone apply for accommodation via post like me? I'm just wondering how long does it take usually to get a reply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

I dont think they reply until they confirm you have secured accomodation and want a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Anyone here lived in Courtyard? I'm on the verge of living there next year, but I've been told my options for rooms with another student are either a single en-suite or the 'box room' as the other three have conveniently divided up the larger bed rooms between them (:mad:). Anyone know just how small said box room is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Is the box room the one that isn't ensuite? I had that last semester and it did me fine. I even managed, with a quick move around of furniture, to get a double air bed down with no trouble. I've now moved into an ensuite room that is half the size. You can always ask to see one of the rooms before you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

ergonomics wrote: »
    Is the box room the one that isn't ensuite? I had that last semester and it did me fine. I even managed, with a quick move around of furniture, to get a double air bed down with no trouble. I've now moved into an ensuite room that is half the size. You can always ask to see one of the rooms before you pick.

Yes, as far as I know the box room is the one without an en-suite. So it's not altogether feet-touching-one-wall-head touching-the-other kind of small?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Well it depends what way you're lying!!! :D

My room currently is tiny. When I sit at my desk the back of the chair is pressed against the bed. I had much more room in the room that wasn't ensuite. I'm in a new house now which is overall smaller and I'd say the box room in this house is slightly bigger than my current room. In my old room the bed lay perpindicular to the desk rather than parallel and that made a huge difference. You can always adjust the furniture to suit you best.

If you want to come and see my room to get an idea, send me a PM.

Edit: Actually, just thinking. I know for a fact that my old room is still empty so if you go to reception you could probably ask if they have any empty rooms you can see and they'll probably show you my old room. I can show you my single ensuite room too anyway so you know just how small the rooms could potentially be.

Sorry to bring it up again but it's now well into April and I've not got anything back after I sent my application form. Anyone else get a letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

favre90 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring it up again but it's now well into April and I've not got anything back after I sent my application form. Anyone else get a letter?

Nope :(

Weird, they say on the website they'll be looking for deposits in March!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I live in the courtyard and love it, live in the downstairs ensuite room which in my opinion is fairly spacious and has the biggest ensuite in the house.

Houses are very nice, can be a bit far from the campus at imes though.

• Advertisement

favre90 wrote: »
    Weird, they say on the website they'll be looking for deposits in March!
    Got my letter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

DIR="LTR"> Hey Hey!

So i'm in Leaving Cert (repeater rolleyes.gif) and I've just gotten my letter telling me I have a room on campus. Ijust need to register and book before friday.

My Dilema

Should I go for Plassey, because I'll be in first year,(most posts suggests this as the best for first years) and coming from Clare, going to UL with no friends, I'll need all the friends I can get biggrin.gif

Or should I go for Dromroe as I've been told it's closest to the buildings I'm likey to be in next year (applied for languages,film and literature) and honestly, coming from a house with 7 other people, the ensuite is mighty attractive .

So people of the boards,which would you suggest as the best option for my first year?
    Whats the deal regarding bathrooms in Plassey? One bathroom between 8 seems extreme and asking for trouble , especially with girls in the house tongue.gif

Some colleges I've looked at appear to have a curfew with the oncampus accomodation, whats the story with UL?

Whats the policy with overnight...eh... guests?redface.gif My boyfriend is in UL but lives off campus

Whew, thats a hefty rant, apologies! Any help you guys could give me would be terrific

Thanks in advance

DIR="LTR"> Hey Hey!

So i'm in Leaving Cert (repeater rolleyes.gif) and I've just gotten my letter telling me I have a room on campus. Ijust need to register and book before friday.

My Dilema

Should I go for Plassey, because I'll be in first year,(most posts suggests this as the best for first years) and coming from Clare, going to UL with no friends, I'll need all the friends I can get biggrin.gif

Or should I go for Dromroe as I've been told it's closest to the buildings I'm likey to be in next year (applied for languages,film and literature) and honestly, coming from a house with 7 other people, the ensuite is mighty attractive .

So people of the boards,which would you suggest as the best option for my first year?
    Whats the deal regarding bathrooms in Plassey? One bathroom between 8 seems extreme and asking for trouble , especially with girls in the house tongue.gif

Some colleges I've looked at appear to have a curfew with the oncampus accomodation, whats the story with UL?

Whats the policy with overnight...eh... guests?redface.gif My boyfriend is in UL but lives off campus

Whew, thats a hefty rant, apologies! Any help you guys could give me would be terrific

Thanks in advance
    Coming from a 1st year who has spent a lot of time in plassey, looking back it now I slightly regret not going there.

Sure I have the comforts here in the courtyard but as far as I see it, thats not what 1st year about.

So a big thumbs up for plassey from me, its by far the best fun and you'll meet loads of people there.

And it really isnt that far from uni either.

Oh and its 2 bathrooms for 8 people. 1 upstairs and one downstairs.
    Upstairs is generally for girls and downstairs for boys but from what I've seen after the 1st week that rule goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

DIR="LTR"> Hey Hey!

My Dilema

Thanks in advance

Having lived and worked in Plassey I can probably help.

Firstly, distance. Plassey is a 10/12-minute walk from campus, Dromroe is no more than 5. Unless you really, really need that extra few minutes in bed in the mornings it doesn't matter where you live.
    Where Dromroe has the advantage is in its facilities, double bed and ensuite for everyone. In Plassey its a bathroom between 4 and single beds. It's also unlikely that all four of you will have a 0900 lecture every day of the week, so there shouldn't be a mad scramble for the bathroom. Obviously, Tuesday and Thursday nights will be different!
    As regards making friends and whatnot- I would say Plassey is better. Because they're houses rather than apartments, I find that you see more people walking around the place and there's a better chance of being able to strike up a conversation with someone. Am I right in thinking that there are more rooms in Plassey houses than Dromroe apartments?
    On overnight guests...Plassey goes pretty mad with people staying over at Halloween and Rag Week, despite warnings from management. That's because those people aren't from the village (usually from other colleges) and don't have to deal with the consequences, and as a result the place gets wrecked. Outside of those times, there's usually no issue though you are supposed to sign in overnight guests- this is doubtless for safety reasons, such as if there is a fire. Basically, keep quiet, don't wreck the place and there'll be no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

To Klong and 1huge1: thanks a million for your help, i registered and got a place, now alls i have to do is get in my course! Fingers crossed X (and toes and eyes and.... well you get the idea) Thanks for the help guys

To Klong and 1huge1: thanks a million for your help, i registered and got a place, now alls i have to do is get in my course! Fingers crossed X (and toes and eyes and.... well you get the idea) Thanks for the help guys
    Good luck and hope to see ya next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

This thread is a life saver.

Thanks for everyone who gave reviews.

I'll be an incoming first year this Sept and have applied and put my deposit on Kilmurry hopefully.
    Visited it over Christmas with the parents and their first words were ' This is student land now'
    Weren't wrong either. Certainly appears...scruffy on the outside.

However, I've heard lots of positive things about both Plassey and Kilmurry for first years and considering I'll be essentially going on my own, I'm up for making new friends.

Now, there's just the matter of the Leaving Cert...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Declanp71

hi I am a second year student living in kilmurry village at the moment... First year was the bomb had the best time of my life... Fact..

met so much new people made so much new friends.. The place at a glance isn't the best. But my god best decision of my life probably.. From what i heard and saw its defo the best place for 1st year.. like all the other villages (except plassy) are way nicer But its impossible to make friends and have the crack...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

First Year - Dromroe Village
    Second Year - Courtyard Village
    Third Year - Brookfield Village
    Fourth Year - Bru na Gruadan (private estate near Groody/courtyard)

Loved Brookfield the most, lived in a 2 bedrm apartment, everything new and clean etc, management were all over d place last yr tho....also i lost my deposit because i couldnt work the storage heaters out, they came on at all odd times in d living room, so my heating bill was huge!
    wouldve stayed there this yr (4th yr) only they were bringin d rent up again....89 euro a week, so moved 2 bru na gruadan in with other students. houses r brill, have a HUGE double room with ensuite, for 65euro a week, and bills shared out between 5 of us r very reasonable, has worked out over a grand cheaper than other years, i have a car so i drive 2 college court and park there for d day so dunno would it suit people who dont drive or want 2 walk or cycle....it has suited me as its quieter and i needed that for serious study this yr/fyp/stress etc!
    dromroe was grand for first yr, place has got a bit run down and is DEFINATELY not worth the money u pay for it! most my friends have stayed there d four years, but if u drive u will have alot of probs getting parking etc.
    biggest prob wit living on campus i think is that ur so far away from cheap shops like dunnes/aldi and the offy/chinese/chippers....so u have 2 get deliverys if u fancy a takeaway, which costs extra!

but my advice for people starting college is, IT IS WHAT U MAKE it, u could go to plassy n live with a load of dry arses, u wont necessarily make loads of friends somewhere just coz other people have!! its just lucky d people u live with!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Have to say:

Thought Dromroe was the best for first year myself... no matter where you'll go you will be lumped in with first years so it doesn't make a difference.

I myself couldn't stand sharing 2 bathrooms between 8 people (though I do it now).

Dromroe defo better than Kilmurray or Plassey ...... because well ... its just more Classy.

I never hear of anyone having a problem in Dromroe and all we hear is constant shouting about how good Kilmurry and Plassey is!!! ... Over compensating much !!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Though it is good crai as well !!!

• Advertisement

amybabes wrote: »
    First Year - Dromroe Village
    Second Year - Courtyard Village
    Third Year - Brookfield Village
    Fourth Year - Bru na Gruadan (private estate near Groody/courtyard)

Loved Brookfield the most, lived in a 2 bedrm apartment, everything new and clean etc, management were all over d place last yr tho....also i lost my deposit because i couldnt work the storage heaters out, they came on at all odd times in d living room, so my heating bill was huge!
    wouldve stayed there this yr (4th yr) only they were bringin d rent up again....89 euro a week, so moved 2 bru na gruadan in with other students. houses r brill, have a HUGE double room with ensuite, for 65euro a week, and bills shared out between 5 of us r very reasonable, has worked out over a grand cheaper than other years, i have a car so i drive 2 college court and park there for d day so dunno would it suit people who dont drive or want 2 walk or cycle....it has suited me as its quieter and i needed that for serious study this yr/fyp/stress etc!
    dromroe was grand for first yr, place has got a bit run down and is DEFINATELY not worth the money u pay for it! most my friends have stayed there d four years, but if u drive u will have alot of probs getting parking etc.
    biggest prob wit living on campus i think is that ur so far away from cheap shops like dunnes/aldi and the offy/chinese/chippers....so u have 2 get deliverys if u fancy a takeaway, which costs extra!

but my advice for people starting college is, IT IS WHAT U MAKE it, u could go to plassy n live with a load of dry arses, u wont necessarily make loads of friends somewhere just coz other people have!! its just lucky d people u live with!
    Are the houses in Bru na Gruadan the same on the inside as the one's in the courtyard, because I live in the courtyard now and love the area and wouldn't mind coming back maybe in a year or two.
    snazzy wrote: »
    This thread is a life saver.

Thanks for everyone who gave reviews.

I'll be an incoming first year this Sept and have applied and put my deposit on Kilmurry hopefully.
    Visited it over Christmas with the parents and their first words were ' This is student land now'
    Weren't wrong either. Certainly appears...scruffy on the outside.

However, I've heard lots of positive things about both Plassey and Kilmurry for first years and considering I'll be essentially going on my own, I'm up for making new friends.

Now, there's just the matter of the Leaving Cert...

good luck with the LC and good choice with picking UL!

1huge1 wrote: »
    Are the houses in Bru na Gruadan the same on the inside as the one's in the courtyard, because I live in the courtyard now and love the area and wouldn't mind coming back maybe in a year or two.

I lived in a 4 bedroom house house in courtyard, and im living in a 5 bed house in bru na gruadan! they 3 storey! they look the same from the outside but not the same inside!
    in our house theres 3 big double rooms with ensuites! 2 of them have balconys wit doors at the front and my room is at the back with an ensuite but is the biggest in d house, and then theres 2 single rooms and they share a bathroom. but these rooms arent small, theyre about the size of the room on the ground floor in courtyard houses (slightly bigger than upstairs single rooms) and the bathroom is big enough and has a bath and shower.

Then the living area....theres a big enough kitchen and dining area, and a seperate living room (small enough - my bedrooms twice the size of it) but its cozy! and a toilet under the stairs.
    altogether, im very impressed with the house, plus rent and bills works out as much as a grand cheaper for us than it did for me stayin in courtyard/brookfield....our last bill was 35 euro each! and the 65 euro rent includes bins and chorus! defo recommend the 5 bed houses, have never been in the smaller houses so cant comment..........hope this helps! also im sure if the bus driver recognises u as a courtyard res, you mite be able 2 use the bus if u get on it/off it up in courtyard! ive used it a few times when i was in a pickle!!

only sticky thing is you'll need to get people together and take on a lease....so u need people who u can depend on who wont up and leave u high and dry, as its not student accomodation, and also any probs with the house u need 2 liase with landlord...e.g our washing machine was broken for a month! so not all a bed of roses, i miss having maintenance on call! but if u think you'll manage a lease/bills then its defo worth it......i bought a car for my co-op so i couldnt afford to stay in brookfield with the rent going up, but i like my home comforts and i knew id be spending alot of time studying/in my room this year so i wanted somewhere nice at the same time. i looked on daft and in the rent sections of the limerick post for about 3 weeks and viewed a few places and found the house im in now, there was 3 ppl in the house already, post grads/masters students and one first yr so they has already taken on the lease. it will depend on the individual landlord, some might not be strict.
    also looked at a fab house in glenside annacotty (opposite synotts bar) and i loved it, massive living space - but its a bit out of d way if u dont drive/cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 djasmith

so plassey seems to be the place for going into 1st year... is it a bit of a pain though trying to get deposits back and stuff if the place is gonna be wrecked??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

djasmith wrote: »
    so plassey seems to be the place for going into 1st year... is it a bit of a pain though trying to get deposits back and stuff if the place is gonna be wrecked??

It's pretty simple...if the house is wrecked, you won't get your deposit back. You will also have difficulty getting your full deposit back if you use too much electricity/gas or if you've had windows or other bits and pieces broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Hey guys just have a question maybe some of ye can answer it I MIGHT be go in to UL in september depends on the LC results

so I didnt apply for accomodation and I dont really intend to:rolleyes:

I wanted to know whats the chance of getting into plassey or kilmurry if i just put my name on the cancellation list cum augest??:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Depends on the year. Generally slim. They usually have a waiting list of about 200-300 people or so. In the past two years, about the first 70 got something. Mind you, the waiting list is probably already open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Hello everyone, I'm trying to find accomodation for second year. Preferably off campus. Does anyone know any good resources to find said accomodation (I'd like to live in Briarfield or as close to as possible) and I can honestly say that the off-campus website on ul is a joke.
    If I want say a list of available accomodation where should I look?

Thanks in advance guys!

Baralot

Well are you looking for more of a house or student accommodation thats off campis (like the courtyard, groody, brookfield etc) because the latter all have websites if your looking for info.

www.brookfieldhall.com/
    www.student-lettings.ie/ (courtyard)
    http://www.groodyvillage.com/
    Secoundrow wrote: »
    Hey guys just have a question maybe some of ye can answer it I MIGHT be go in to UL in september depends on the LC results

so I didnt apply for accomodation and I dont really intend to:rolleyes:

I wanted to know whats the chance of getting into plassey or kilmurry if i just put my name on the cancellation list cum augest??:o

Last august I had no idea until the day the results came out that I was going to UL, when I found out I got UL I contacted the accommodation office straight away and by the end of August (around the 24th or 25th) I got offered a place on campus, I didnt take it in the end because I was already offered a place in the courtyard student village, My point is that even though I was very late I was still offered a place in Kilmurry and possibly Plassey. While that completely goes against what most people say thats what happened for me.

The way I see it money was tight last August and even tighter now so I'd say your chances would be fairly good.

Whatever happens good look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Murts-Rig

I lived in Dromroe, courtyard, brookfield and woodhaven.

Wood Haven was by far the best

Courtyard was by far the worst

Advertisement