Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on rank

Options
  • 01-05-2009 3:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just in another thread and from the Star Trek Legacy game, When Voyager gets back from the Delta Quadrant Janeway is promoted to Admiral which i'm sure she's chuffed about.

Picard during TNG is offered a few promotions to admiral and turns them down, is there a limit to how many of these you can turn down, can they forcibly promote you to get you off a starship and into an admin job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Well there are 3 different levels of Admiral afaik.

Isn't one of the perks of being an admiral that you get to pick which ship you bomb around in?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

chamlis wrote: »
    Well there are 3 different levels of Admiral afaik.

Isn't one of the perks of being an admiral that you get to pick which ship you bomb around in?
    Yes I was thinking that, but then again would you want the flagship being used as a taxi, in the last episode of TNG Riker said he saved the Ent D from the scrap heap but which I assume was fine as it was an old old ship at that stage.

But what about all those admirals who sit in San Fran at HQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Yes I was thinking that, but then again would you want the flagship being used as a taxi, in the last episode of TNG Riker said he saved the Ent D from the scrap heap but which I assume was fine as it was an old old ship at that stage.

But what about all those admirals who sit in San Fran at HQ

Yeah, picard was offered an academy role
    not a fleet admiral

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah, picard was offered an academy role
    not a fleet admiral
    Thanks that's the phrase I was looking for, I presume in Nemesis then Janeway was a fleet admiral and not a "staff" admiral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

So did she just skip the position of vice-admiral altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

http://www.st-spike.org/pages/uniforms/errors/errors.htm

great page with lots of uniform errors

but the jane way one is the best

''.Kathryn Janeway's uniform in Star Trek: Nemesis?
    It was barely visible, but Janeway wore the rank insignia of a Vice Admiral. Since U.S.S. Voyager returned at the end of the year 2377, and Star Trek: Nemesis was set in the second half of 2379, Janeway would have been promoted three times within 22 months, which is just ridiculous.''

Agreed right she got the crew home , she had a buck load of data about the delta quad, furture technology, borg tech , and kicked the borgs ass . so yea making her admiral if she wanted it was cool , but Vice Admiral ? bit of a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

should have been demoted to ensign

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

I think they just wanted her out of the way , they would be happy for all the data and technology , but when they learn how she dick everything up in the delta quad and pissed off every 2nd race i am sure they where like right your useless. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Slice wrote: »

She could have skipped it. Happens in real world militaries from time to time, going to an acting higher rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Slice wrote: »

She could have skipped it. Happens in real world militaries from time to time, going up to an acting higher rank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think they just wanted her out of the way , they would be happy for all the data and technology , but when they learn how she dick everything up in the delta quad and pissed off every 2nd race i am sure they where like right your useless. :D

Lol, I agree, it also reflects real life more closely, rewarding the incompetent because they fit a certain mold! Janeway fit the admiral personality type perfectly in Star Trek, well it seems like she displayed the same attitudes Picard had to deal with in TNG. Its difficult to reconcile her scientific training with such lines as "sometimes we just have to punch our way through."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

MetalDawg wrote: »
    She could have skipped it. Happens in real world militaries from time to time, going up to an acting higher rank.

Its because she sleeps her way to the top, you dont think Picard could do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Should have been court martialed and slapped permanently in the brig for extreme incompetence, dereliction of duty and having a really annoying voice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Penrose wrote: »
    Its because she sleeps her way to the top, you dont think Picard could do the same thing.

Not with Riker stuck to his ass 23 hours a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Janeway was probably promoted the feck out of causing any more harm tbh.

Advertisement