Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you're in a shop....

Options
  • 26-04-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

... and you are buying, say, a bottle of Coke for example. If there is a bottle of coke among all the 7up / Lilt / Fanta bottles, would you pick that one (even if it is closer) or would you take one from where all the other bottles of coke are (even if they are further away)??

I hope I've explained that right! I'm just using a bottle of Coke as an example.

I found myself doing this yesterday while buying a few things in Boots. I was looking for Sure deodarant, but when I found it there was only 1 bottle there and it was in among, say, the Lynx section. So although I'd found what I was looking for, I thought to myself: "no, someone else had that and then put it back 'cos they didn't want it" - and I walked to the other end of the aisle to where all the Sure was, and picked one of them!

Do you do this? As I did it I was thinking about it and I always do it! I don't know why!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Who knows where that Coke has been.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Um, I buy the thing closest to me. People do waht you do though, I find it odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You probably never take the newspaper from the top of the pile either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I was looking for Sure deodarant, but when I found it there was only 1 bottle there and it was in among, say, the Lynx section.

I would have been too afraid of the Lynx taking the hand off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

It wouldn't bother me,OP.
    The quicker I find what I am looking for when shopping the better.
    I hate shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Never actually thought about it, i probably just go for the nearest.

It wouldn't bother me,OP.
    The quicker I find what I am looking for when shopping the better.
    I hate shopping.

Shopping is evil, i constantly drill that into my kids.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Berty wrote: »
    I always pick the one underneath because it's more neat , crisp and the free magazine is usually there .

Latchy wrote: »
    I always pick the one underneath because it's more neat , crisp and the free magazine is usually there .

Same here, the top one is always crumpled.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,294 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

... and you are buying, say, a bottle of Coke for example. If there is a bottle of coke among all the 7up / Lilt / Fanta bottles, would you pick that one (even if it is closer) or would you take one from where all the other bottles of coke are (even if they are further away)??

I hope I've explained that right! I'm just using a bottle of Coke as an example.

I found myself doing this yesterday while buying a few things in Boots. I was looking for Sure deodarant, but when I found it there was only 1 bottle there and it was in among, say, the Lynx section. So although I'd found what I was looking for, I thought to myself: "no, someone else had that and then put it back 'cos they didn't want it" - and I walked to the other end of the aisle to where all the Sure was, and picked one of them!

Do you do this? As I did it I was thinking about it and I always do it! I don't know why!

To be even thinking about this is insane imo

• Advertisement

yeh who would take the top newspaper?

OP I would do EXACTLY the same thing as you, actually don't do it consciously though I don't think.

I won't open a packet of crisps upside down either though. Freaks me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I was looking for Sure deodarant, but when I found it there was only 1 bottle there and it was in among, say, the Lynx section.

^ I do that. Also with meats or any chilled goods. When you think about it, things get left in the wrong place for different reasons. Like a lazy twat that wouldnt put it back when they realised that they hadnt enough cash with them, or the tormented parent when the offspring decide to dump what the like in the trolley.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    To be even thinking about this is insane imo
    It does remind me a bit of somebody who might have a bit of OCD ( obsessive compulsive disorder ) Like some people (including David Beckham ) have to have their clothes laid out neat and all the tins of beans lined up in neat order .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Im the one who picks up the deodrant i want only to find one on offer half way through the asyle.

Of course i buy the 2 for 1 offer and throw the orignal one back on the shelf so fast you'd swear it was burning my hand :D.

It wouldint bother me if a coke bottle was mixed in with Fanta. In fact i'd probably pick that one because he'd look so lonely :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I hate when people steal the magazines, yeah I'm talking to you people who wanted the Queen cd today, just buy the damn daily mail. You can wipe your arse with it for all I care but don't steal the cd from people who paid for the paper. I caught a woman doing it red-handed on Saturday and asked her was she not going to buy that paper and she said "Oh no, I forgot the paper didn't I?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Final Approach

Ya, I would do this too, and would also never take the top newspaper, so you are not alone steviecakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Who knows where that Coke has been.

Now if Katie French had only been so cautious.......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sometimes take it to read it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Slow day, stevie?

ShaneU wrote: »
    I hate when people steal the magazines, yeah I'm talking to you people who wanted the Queen cd today, just buy the damn daily mail. You can wipe your arse with it for all I care but don't steal the cd from people who paid for the paper. I caught a woman doing it red-handed on Saturday and asked her was she not going to buy that paper and she said "Oh no, I forgot the paper didn't I?" :rolleyes:
    .I take the one underneath the top one for that very reason ,to mke sure my tv mag the one that comes with the newspaper I just bought is there .Many times i have come home to find my tv mag is not there either

(not to bothered about the free, un original track versions , cd's as such ) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Why would you not take the Coke next to you? It's not like somebody put it down their pants and then sneakily put it in the 7-up department to throw security off.

It's probably a perfectly safe bottle of Coke.
    This topic should be in PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Well, if it was something like a bottle of Coke, where you can clearly see if has been opened/tampered with; I'd take the closest one.

But to me, if I wanted to buy let's say Lynx Africa (only one that smells nice tbh), and I saw it on the shelf surrounded by Sure body spray, it would go through my head not to get that one because someone had likely sprayed a bit of it.

I dunno why. I guess I'm weird like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Why didnt you just take the one nearest to you ??

Sure it wont !let you down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Berty wrote: »
    galwayrush wrote: »
    Same here, the top one is always crumpled.

Exactly!! Plus, the top paper has already been read by everyone passing - its already used!
    Abigayle wrote: »
    ^ I do that. Also with meats or any chilled goods. When you think about it, things get left in the wrong place for different reasons. Like a lazy twat that wouldnt put it back when they realised that they hadnt enough cash with them, or the tormented parent when the offspring decide to dump what the like in the trolley.

I know there are different reasons why stuff is in the wrong place, but it just makes me think there's something wrong with it, which is why it was put back!
    It does remind me a bit of somebody who might have a bit of OCD ( obsessive compulsive disorder ) Like some people (including David Beckham ) have to have their clothes laid out neat and all the tins of beans lined up in neat order .

I have some strange habits alright. Nothing extreme, but a slight touch of OCD... Maybe!
    themadchef wrote: »
    Im the one who picks up the deodrant i want only to find one on offer half way through the asyle.

Of course i buy the 2 for 1 offer and throw the orignal one back on the shelf so fast you'd swear it was burning my hand :D.

I do that too.... so in a way I'm adding to it myself! The irony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Does Beckham have it too?! I know Stephen Gerrard does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I look for within the coke bottles to look for a nice cool one somewhere in the middle of the lot where its not very likely to had been picked up by every other person passing by it.

Abigayle wrote: »
    Does Beckham have it too?! I know Stephen Gerrard does.
    Beckham , Gerrard and would you belive Gazza of all people .Like i would have thought he was to pissed to notice or even care what was were, but apparently he had this thing about towels having to be arranged neatly and guess what ? Wayne Rooney has the same complaint ?

What is it with these footballers ? :eek:

I have some strange habits alright. Nothing extreme, but a slight touch of OCD... Maybe!
    Nothing wrong with that either .I have a slight touch of it myself but nothing to extreme

asyle

Srsly, not even close with that attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Srsly, not even close with that attempt.

Should have been "asylum", given the nature of this thread.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If i'm looking to buy a bottle of coke or something and it's the only one left in the shop then i won't buy it.

Advertisement