Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M24 Motorway?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

I just want to throw this out to get people's reactions - obviously hypothetical and not likely to happen.

With the current financial situation - what do you think - instead of building a 100KM M20 right now how about we build a 117km motorway from the M9 outside Waterford to the N7 SSR of Limerick along the current N24?

This would obviously link the South East / Waterford / South Tipp with Limerick and the Atlantic corridor but also be used to connect cork with both limerick and Waterford at Cahir.

The Distances are roughly

N20 Limerick - Cork 100Km
    N24 / M8 Limerick - Cork 130Km

N25 Waterford - Cork 120Km
    M8 / N24 Waterford - Cork 140Km

Obviously there is extra journey times here but 20Km is only 10mins on a Motorway.

The cost benefit must be considered. Then when the country gets back on its feet an M20 would be built. But the South East would have its link to the west via south Tipp already built.

In the future we may build 3 motorways M20, M25 and M24 - Should the M24 come first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

My reaction is no. I'm a fairly regular user of the N24 and I just don't see the merit. I'm not entirely sold on the M20 either though, but I'm certainly more for it than either an M24 or M25. I do like the idea, however, of combining the M8 with the M20 to get maximum use out of the M8, say from Dunkettle to junction 13, with the M20 branching off to Limerick. But as has been pointed out here plenty of times, the current N20 would still need substantial realignments and upgrading.

The N24...is not as crucial a route as it first seems to be. It passes through some stagnant one-horse towns and villages. I suspect very few journeys are made on it daily from Waterford to Limerick. That said, it too needs to be realigned in several places, but wide single carriageway would suffice in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I never understood why this so-called Atlantic Corridor was going down via Cork.
    Of course still upgrade the N20 and N8 (already done) and allow the Atlantic corridor take the logically shortest via the N24 across from Limerick to Waterford and Rosslare.
    I think motorway would be overdoing it a bit though. As Furet points out a good quality S2 would suffice (in fact anyhting would be better than parts of whats there at present between Cahir and Tipp town especially).

There are actually a few nice upgraded sections near Limerick done about 8 or 9 years ago and work very well. And there are also 2+1 sections around Cahir and Piltown which work well now.
    And good quality bypasses of Tipp, Clonmel and Carrick on Suir with no roundabouts would also suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

Lads, N24 is to be upgraded to 2+2 / HQDC along its entire length (a la N4 Sligo to Longford).

You will pick up on this from the development plans.

When this will happen god only knows, but at least it is a plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Stupido wrote: »
    Lads, N24 is to be upgraded to 2+2 / HQDC along its entire length (a la N4 Sligo to Longford).

You will pick up on this from the development plans.

When this will happen god only knows, but at least it is a plan.

The M4 should be extended to Longford IMO, where it would split into the proposed 2+2 to Sligo (N4) and S2 to Castlebar (N5). Was on the N4 Eastern approach to Longford many a time in the 1990's and the traffic (even then) would have justified a motorway.

About the M24 - I guess no is the answer - the M20 is the obvious one to do IMO (linking our second and third cities)!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

mfitzy wrote: »
    I never understood why this so-called Atlantic Corridor was going down via Cork.

Because thats where 300,000 people live :pac:

its not about taking someone off the boat at Rosslare and getting them up to Letterkenny as fast as possible. Its about connecting the people of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

D.L.R. wrote: »

its not about taking someone off the boat at Rosslare and getting them up to Letterkenny as fast as possible. Its about connecting the people of Ireland.

Thats kinda why i proposed the M24 as it links every county in munster (even north Kerry) with HQ links. Being essentially the same length as the M20 it may make sense to do first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Unlike the south-east of course, where nobody lives... :rolleyes:

Come on... there's about that number in Waterford and the southern parts of Wexford, KK and Tipp, the areas that would use the N24 to travel to the west.

Ah here! That's a ridiculous argument. The "people of Ireland" need to be connected to the people of the UK, France, etc. via the ferries too, and even if they didn't, this country desperately needs a good road link from the ferryport at Rosslare to its main population centres. The obvious backbone of that link is via Waterford, Limerick and Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

N24 will be 2+2 probably. No need for motorway.

I would say no need for 2+2 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cork will be linked via the M8 and M20. I think thats the OP's point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Furet wrote: »
    I would say no need for 2+2 either.

I'd say no too, but I guess its the old adage here, if you're doing a big (Limerick - Waterford) S2, you might as well make it a 2+2.

I'd say no too, but I guess its the old adage here, if you're doing a big (Limerick - Waterford) S2, you might as well make it a 2+2.

One bit of infrastructure that would join all the good work done by the dublin to urban routes.

It would link the M9, M8, M7, M18, M6 and M17 (all either built or under construction) and obviously the cities of Waterford, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo. And major towns of Clonmel, Cahir, Ennis, Tuam etc

The more I think about it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

Steviemak wrote: »
    One bit of infrastructure that would join all the good work done by the dublin to urban routes.

It would link the M9, M8, M7, M18, M6 and M17 (all either built or under construction) and obviously the cities of Waterford, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo. And major towns of Clonmel, Cahir, Ennis, Tuam etc

The more I think about it...:D

...and since when is Sligo a City???????????????????

'City' is a pretty meaningless term in Ireland really. Waterford certainly isn't a city in the commonly understood modern sense of the word, and neither is Kilkenny, nor Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Oh the my city is bigger than your city rant is going to bomb on this thread

I can see the Waterfordonians coming to their defenses. My city only BLEEDING massive!!!!!

Takes the nearest exit...:D

Well I would hope that everyone here is smart enough not to fall into that frankly stupid and parochial trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

'City' is a pretty meaningless term in Ireland really. Waterford certainly isn't a city in the commonly understood modern sense of the word, and neither is Kilkenny, nor Sligo.

Lol Swords and Bray have a larger population that kilkenny as well as sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bards wrote: »
    ...and since when is Sligo a City???????????????????
    mysterious wrote: »
    Oh the my city is bigger than your city rant is going to bomb on this thread

I can see the Waterfordonians coming to their defenses. My city only BLEEDING massive!!!!!

Takes the nearest exit...:D
    Hogzy wrote: »
    Lol Swords and Bray have a larger population that kilkenny as well as sligo

Oh for the love of God would the lot of ye cop on? :mad:

Why do all threads have to veer into pettiness:mad: - Fair enough Sligo is not a city. I was trying to illustrate the joining of population centres along the south and west coast - Sligo being a major one in the north west and most probably as far as Ireland's future motorway network will go in that region. (Bar the Derry Letterkenny corridor - which will be NI and Ire project)

But Steviemak and Fricatus, it is not 'petty' to point out that many so-called 'population centres' in this country aren't very populous at all. Indeed, it's especially important to mention this fact when someone proposes a motorway along the N24 of all roads! By all means, let's have the discussion; but the exchange is a fruitless one unless we address the critical issue, which is demand. We can't tip-toe around this for fear of offending someone's misheld parochial sense of pride. To do so would be to behave like an ostrich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

To do so would be to behave like an ostrich.
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

But Steviemak and Fricatus, it is not 'petty' to point out that many so-called 'population centres' in this country aren't very populous at all. Indeed, it's especially important to mention this fact when someone proposes a motorway along the N24 of all roads! By all means, let's have the discussion; but the exchange is a fruitless one unless we address the critical issue, which is demand. We can't tip-toe around this for fear of offending someone's misheld parochial sense of pride. To do so would be to behave like an ostrich.

Well said Furet but sadly this discussion is impossible to have when our people & politicians are so welded to the parish pump. Whether its empty hospitals, rural motorways or antiquated railway line upgrades, the goal is never appropriate resource allocation but defending and winning things for ones locale irregardless of need or not. There is no such thing as a bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

my village has about 400 hundred people, but of course i STILL ONLY THINK IT'S BLEEDIN MASSIVE!:pac:

There are four cities in Ireland outside Dublin. (in Irish terms)
    • Cork
    • Limerick
    • Galway
    • Waterford
    In real terms

None of the cities above make it near the EU standards in city defention, maybe Cork might be in the bunch. Thats it.

But I do see the pettyness go to all lows, when you have the local diehards going well if you include the entire SE is only bleedin massive then:rolleyes: Let's get real people

Galway and Waterford city centres are tiny.

These are just the realties of how so called urban Ireland.

...so what is wrong with calling posters up on blatant lying when it comes to the local Government act 2001?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0037/sched5.html#sched5

am I being accused of being parochial for pointing this out?

This is an Irish Thread on an Irish forum FFS and I resent the accusations made by other posters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

everybody calm down :D

we are looking at d2 2+2 no hard shoulder for the remainder of the system , eg n24 n17 ( north of Tuam) n15 N4 west of edgeworthstown , N2 border , n13 border , n16 at a push if the northern end is done and n25 dungarvan - midleton etc ...probably the n21

This is only 'modern wide s2 in effect and with the junctions mitigated .

All the HQ stuff is either done , being built, or languishing in the round of ppps that are stuck out there with no finance, the one exception being the DOOR which will be HQ and a few bits of N11 maybe N4 Mullingar - Edgeworthstown and N15 just north of Sligo .

Many D2 jobs will be cheap retrofits of wide s2 like around Bundoran and Mooncoin and Knock

We have largely completed the good motorways and are now going to build some motorway 'lite' to grid the country up properly ....between now and 2030 that is :)

...so what is wrong with calling posters up on blatant lying when it comes to the local Government act 2001?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0037/sched5.html#sched5

I would say that these are the Ozymandius-like claims of a parochial gombeen government. Cork (maybe barely) is a city - in, as I said, the commonly understood modern sense of the word.
    Waterford is a town.
    The statute book can call it what it likes; but the bottom line is that Waterford has a population of only 50,000, which is tiny in an EU context. I don't know why people from Waterford feel diminished by that fact. It's sad really. Do you feel lessened when people say that Waterford isn't a city? Do you feel hurt?
    Why?
    Why does it matter? It is simply pride of the worst sort, utterly foolish and unproductive. Making the Irish statute book your floating piece of wood in the sea and desperately clinging to it is Waterford's own variant of the Creationist's "it's in the Bible, so it's true!" delusion.
    The most that Waterford is is an honourary city, a titular city, a medieval city. And that's cool. It's a grand old town in my book. You don't need to be connected to Limerick by a motorway, however.

I would say that these are the Ozymandius-like claims of a parochial gombeen government. Cork (maybe barely) is a city - in, as I said, the commonly understood modern sense of the word.
    Waterford is a town.
    The statute book can call it what it likes; but the bottom line is that it has a population of only 50,000, which is tiny in an EU context. I don't know why people from Waterford feel diminished by that fact. It's sad really. Do you feel lessened when people say that Waterford isn't a city? Do you feel hurt?
    Why?
    Why does it matter? It is simply pride of the worst sort, utterly foolish and unproductive. Making the Irish statute book your floating piece of wood in the sea and desperately clinging to it is Waterford's own variant of the Creationist's "it's in the Bible, so it's true!" delusion.
    The most that Waterford is is an honourary city, a titular city, a medieval city. And that's cool. It's a grand old town in my book. You don't need to be connected to Limerick by a motorway, however.

my whole point, If I were from Cork or Dublin we wouldn't be having this discussion. I would have been able to point out that Sligo wasn't a city, without recourse, but just becasue I publish where I am from, (unlike others who just say "Ireland" ) I am being accused of being parochial. This is not fair, and not right.

Why do you say that Waterford is an honourary City ( where's your facts?) If that is the case therefore Limerick & Galway are both honorary cities too. We all have city councils, City Mayors, Galway even has the same number of city councillors as Waterford

I live in Ireland, I live within Irish Law, what is the point of having a statute book if we can have a la carte laws, and are allowed to pick and choose what laws we like and don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

mysterious wrote: »
    my village has about 400 hundred people, but of course i STILL ONLY THINK IT'S BLEEDIN MASSIVE!:pac:

There are four cities in Ireland outside Dublin. (in Irish terms)
    • Cork
    • Limerick
    • Galway
    • Waterford

So Kilkenny does not exist now? Best of luck telling them that.

my whole point, If I were from Cork or Dublin we wouldn't be having this discussion. I would have been able to point out that Sligo wasn't a city, without recourse, but just becasue I publish where I am from, (unlike others who just say "Ireland" ) I am being accused of being parochial. This is not fair, and not right.

Not true. It doesn't matter where you say you are from. What matters here are the perceived delusions of grandeur you seem to have for Waterford as an urban area. You seem to want parity of esteem for all the cities (such as when you place Waterford on a par with Limerick and Galway).
    But not all cities are equal.
    While Limerick and Galway are also very small in an EU context (as is Cork), they are considerably larger than Waterford. So they are not equal in size, they are not equal economically, they are not equal in importance, and they cannot be equal in terms of infrastructure. You are drawing false parallels, and you refuse to see that. And, with respect, it is childish foot stomping to wail about the unfairness of it all.
    Why do you say that Waterford is an honourary City ( where's your facts?) If that is the case therefore Limerick & Galway are both honorary cities too. We all have city councils, City Mayors, Galway even has the same number of city councillors as Waterford

I should not have asserted that Waterford is an honourary city. I should have written that that's the most that could be said for it, if someone wanted to argue the point. Waterford received its city charter from a Norman king in the 1100s, back in the day when settlements of 10,000 were considered massive. I hope you can appreciate that humanity's sense of scale has changed a lot since then. Somehow Waterford managed to retain its historic title as a city - but not - obviously - its importance. I view this titular retention as an honour - a tip of the hat, if you will, to former times. And there is nothing wrong with that.
    I live in Ireland, I live within Irish Law, what is the point of having a statute book if we can have a la carte laws, and are allowed to pick and choose what laws we like and don't like.

See, this is a straw man. Irish Law doesn't have anything to do with the decision to provide certain forms of infrastructure, which is what this discussion is supposed to be about.* Of course you can keep the title 'city' behind the word 'Waterford'. No-one has suggested taking that away. I myself refer to Waterford as a 'city' in every day speech too; but economically, demographically, financially, culturally, infrastructurally, I know that it isn't a city in the modern sense of the word. (I mean, If Bono received an honourary doctorate in Law from Trinity College, I'd hope you wouldn't hire him to defend you in a murder trial.) In terms of the provision of infrastructure, population and demand should be the only deciding factors. Whether a place is listed as a 'city' or not on some piece of paper does not matter. That is the issue that you seem to struggle with Bards: Nomenclature Does Not Matter. Demographics do. You need to acknowledge that.

The bottom line is that your reaction seems to be primarily emotional rather than rational. You seem to take it personally. In your heart of hearts, can you say that that isn't true?

*And no, this discussion has not veered off topic. It is very much on topic. We cannot discuss whether or not to build an M24 without addressing the numbers of people that would use it, and this in turn means that questions of scale and questions of national importance must be raised. This has naturally offended certain people, but that is their problem, because their reaction is emotional and irrational, rather than strategic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Right! - Enough of this meaningless BS about cities!!! :mad:

Now, let's talk about the N24!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement