Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Speaking of which, I'm going up tomorrow to Belfast to buy a DS, groceries and Booze.

Is there much of a difference for the DS ? The DSi seems to be much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

parsi wrote: »
    Is there much of a difference for the DS ? The DSi seems to be much the same.
    There is a discussion here on the DSi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 charlie22

big b wrote: »
    Going to travel on a weekday from Galway, Enniskillen looks nearest/easiest. AA routeplanner says just over 3 hours, although I'm sure 4 is more realistic.

Anyway, having gone that far, would I be better travelling a bit further, or will the prices & choice in Enniskillen be as good as anywhere else?

Probably looking at buying a big screen LCD & Mrs Big B will want to go nuts buying presents & clothes.

Probably fill any remaining space in the van with food shopping.

Thanks in advance...

There is a bus company- Borderbus.net that myself and my wife took from Athenry last week to Enniskillen for €25 return-worked out really well. I am not sure if this travels weekly, but there was plenty boot space for shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

If you would like to see a dedicated Northern Ireland Bargains Alert forum then please click on the link below and show your support, this thread is nearing replies 3,000 and really needs its own forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429431

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed, but the powers that be do not want to grant your request.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Can you/mod update the first post?

Enniskillen is not even featured yet it has a big Asda, Tesco and Dunnes! As well as that, it must be No.2 after Newry on the target list for shoppers from ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 charlie22

My wife and I travelled with Borderbus.net from Athenry to Enniskillen -it was a 3 hour trip each way but the savings there was well worth the €25 fare.

Has anybody been to Currys in Enniskillen? Does the warranty still exist if brought back to a Currys in the south? We bought a DVD player and asked a staff member who assured us that the sounther Curry's would accept warranty for any problems...fingers crossed they are correct!! I am now looking athe the same trip for a laptop- any suggestions? Currys?

Has anybody been to Currys in Enniskillen?
    Yes.
    Does the warranty still exist if brought back to a Currys in the south?
    Nope.
    We bought a DVD player and asked a staff member who assured us that the sounther Curry's would accept warranty for any problems...fingers crossed they are correct!!
    Nope. Many people have had problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

charlie22 wrote: »
    My wife and I travelled with Borderbus.net from Athenry to Enniskillen -it was a 3 hour trip each way but the savings there was well worth the €25 fare.

Has anybody been to Currys in Enniskillen? Does the warranty still exist if brought back to a Currys in the south? We bought a DVD player and asked a staff member who assured us that the sounther Curry's would accept warranty for any problems...fingers crossed they are correct!! I am now looking athe the same trip for a laptop- any suggestions? Currys?

South ? What south ? Southern Ireland? That country that doesn't exist ?
    No btw, Northern Ireland consumer rights/law would fall under the UK ( I would assume) and I highly doubt that RoI consumer law covers NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Indeed, but the powers that be do not want to grant your request.

They probably don't wanna be accused of being un-patriotic by advocating RoI people shopping in the UK to save money :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

gurramok wrote: »
    Can you/mod update the first post?

Enniskillen is not even featured yet it has a big Asda, Tesco and Dunnes! As well as that, it must be No.2 after Newry on the target list for shoppers from ROI.

The easiest thing to do is go to yell.com and type in "supermarket", "grocers", "department stores" or whatever and "Enniskillen".

Here are a few that I turned up:

ASDA Stores Ltd Supermarkets
    Tel: 028 6634 4900| Derrychara Rd, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh BT74 6JF

Iceland Foods Ltd Supermarkets
    Tel: 028 6632 2034| Unit 1, Wellington Rd, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh BT74 7BD

Dunnes Stores Ltd Grocers & Convenience Stores
    Tel: 028 6632 5132| Forthill St, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh BT74 6AJ

Next Retail Ltd Department Stores
    Tel: 0844 8445746| Unit B, Erneside Shopping Centre, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh BT74 6JQ

Heatons Department Stores
    Tel: 028 6634 2801| 21, Townhall St, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh BT74 7BD

Marks & Spencer plc Department Stores
    Tel: 028 6632 4649| Erneside Shopping Centre, The Point, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh BT74 6JQ

Some of these were on my original posting. Not sure why the rest didn't turn up in my searches

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Went to Belfast yesterday and couldn't believe that there was NO traffic whatsoever.
    I left Stillorgan at 9.45pm and was parking in Asda in Belfast Kennedy Way at 11.45am!
    Sailed past Newry with no traffic, thought something had happened.
    Very few ROI reg cars there, guess people don't travel that far anymore.
    Coming back same thing around 7.30pm no traffic, got from Newry to Dublin in 50 minutes.
    Couple of pointers.
    Went into Sainsburys in Newry, not as bad as I was led to believe it was going to be. Got a parking space at 6.30pm easy enough, Shop was busy but not uncomfortable, stock were good, took 5 mins to get through till and out again.
    Exchange rate yesterday was .8585 :mad: never checked and just paid with Euro.
    Anybody looking for a PS3, check HMV, much better offers then Game, Argos & Currys.
    Anybody know what Smyths in Newry is like, passed by it on the way up and forgot to have a look in on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Was up in Sainsbury's Newry the other day and while the savings where amazing (as usual) I felt the Sainsbury's in Lisburn stocked a lot more, better variety, more bargains.....

Is it just me?

Nope. Lisburn is always better stocked and less crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Yes, Lisburn is a better all round Sainsburys. Bigger and probably more variety. Well worth the extra few minutes in the car.
    There is never a big rush for parking either, and you have the other big stores right beside it (Currys, Argos, M&S, JJB, Boots, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Was up in Sainsbury's Newry the other day and while the savings where amazing (as usual) I felt the Sainsbury's in Lisburn stocked a lot more, better variety, more bargains.....

Is it just me?
    Nope...Sainsburys Newry knows that we're all a bunch of rubes coming over the boarder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

It is well known that Sainsburys and some other retailers in Newry have upped their prices knowing that people are coming. Head to Armagh (Sainsburys, Emersons, LIDL, etc...), Lisburn for better parking, easy access. People in the north can see the price changes themselves and are moving away from Newry. BTW there are many small towns all along the border that have supermarkets, electric goods etc.. and I bet they are willing to listen and barter especially electrical goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Anyone have any personal experiences with Sainsburys in Armagh they'd like to share? Is it as big as Newry?

Dangerous road to go down if Newry decide to have their own little 'mini rip off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I find it very hard to believe that Sainsbury's or any other large retailer would offer different pricing in different stores given the complexity of their inventory management systems. Do you have any proof of this? It would cost more to adjust the pricing in one store than an extra 5p on a can of beans would recoup.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I find it very hard to believe that Sainsbury's or any other large retailer would offer different pricing in different stores given the complexity of their inventory management systems. Do you have any proof of this? It would cost more to adjust the pricing in one store than an extra 5p on a can of beans would recoup.

Prepare to believe - http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/2007/fulltext/534ah.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Heard Newry was a disaster area today. Luckily my dad knows his way around and saved time getting there. Tip for anyone going to Newry, check a map online before you go. Even if heading to Sprucefield etc. it would probably be better to go via Forkhill, if traffic is light it'll cost you 10 minutes or so, if traffic is heavy you could save up to an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

DonJose wrote: »
    If you would like to see a dedicated Northern Ireland Bargains Alert forum then please click on the link below and show your support, this thread is nearing replies 3,000 and really needs its own forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429431

I can see why you might want one, & sounds like a good idea, but can't see how the thread you are proposing differs from this one..would it not end up pretty similar to this one? ...if it's purpose was better defined, it might get the go-ahead, or is it that simple:confused:

parsi wrote: »
    Asda, M&S, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Waitrose generally set their prices on a national basis. However, Sainsbury’sand Tesco do set different prices for their smaller stores. Further, we understand that for a number of these grocery retailers, uniform national pricing for their stores larger than 1,400 sq metres has only been introduced since 2000, and that prior to this, a number of these retailers engaged in a greater degree of localized price setting (or flexing). A degree of localized pricing continues to be practised by CGL and Somerfield, which predominantly operate mid-range stores.
    Quoted for truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

So nowhere in the document to suggest that there would be different pricing in Newry, Sprucefield and the more Northern Sainsbury stores? I don't think there are any of the mini Sainsbury's in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can anyone recommend some electronic shops in belfast please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Heard there was a 4 mile tailback into Enniskillen yesterday from the Sligo side. Luckily from going up so often I have come across a few handy short cuts and end up arriving around the back of the Asda shop:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Headshot wrote: »
    can anyone recommend some electronic shops in belfast please

For??

Do you want applicances? Cookers, Fridges, Washing Machines???

Or TV/Blu Ray/ DVD Player??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angela59

Hi all,

Is sprucefield lisburn not as busy as newry at weekends? Am going to Newgrange this saturday with kids and was thinking of nipping over the border to stock up on household items but with two kids in tow and what I've read about Newry - think I'll avoid Newry - wondering would lisburn be worth a try and would anyone have any idea how far driving time Lisburn is from Navan?

Many thanks

Angela59:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dlambirl wrote: »
    For??

Do you want applicances? Cookers, Fridges, Washing Machines???

Or TV/Blu Ray/ DVD Player??

for TV/sound systems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 envelope

Hi
    I went to Lisburn from Navan last saturday and it took me 1 hr to newry. I left at 9.15 and there was no traffic. I kept driving past newry and stopped in Banbridge Outlets which was 10 mins further. After i finished there i went on to Lisburn which was about 15 mins further. So to go straight to lisburn it would be about 1.5hr thats what it took me to get home. Thats provided there is no traffic backups. I sailed through there was no traffic just a bit of roadworks around Newry so you have to drive slower.
    Let us know how you get on.
    I was astounded by the difference in prices. Good value on alcohol, groceries and stuff in Argos. I needed a good few things in Argos and it cost me €490 but if i bought the same goods down here in argos it would have been €815
    one example De Longhi microwave is €149.99 down here and £43.99 delighted with the bargain.

Advertisement