Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce unemployment benefit

Options
  • 15-04-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Everyone one is complaining about public sector pay and that it should be reduced and benchmarked against eurozone countries.

Lets do the same for people who are receiving unemploymeny benifit. What's good for the goose.....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

how about no

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok. We'll get on this right away.
    There should be a budget in...
    Last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

far be it from me to be backseat modding :rolleyes:

but there has been forums created for this sort of stuff can it not be moved so we can discuss it without the bull**** of AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ntlbell wrote: »
    far be it from me to be backseat modding :rolleyes:

but there has been forums created for this sort of stuff can it not be moved so we can discuss it without the bull**** of AH?

OP should have posted in the correct forum them.

I say burn their houses down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Yeah its too much given the massive black hole we are in, reduce it gradually in line with falls in cost of living. No incentive for people on dole to work unless the income exceeds the large social wefare benefits. I dont think people realise how screwed this country is and it wont stabalise untill salaries in all areas fall, till costs of business and living fall , till minimum wage falls, till GNP per capita falls etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Should be reduced over time to encourage the professional unemployed to change careers.

if you're under-25 and have no kids, you shouldn't get 205euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Everyone one is complaining about public sector pay and that it should be reduced and benchmarked against eurozone countries.

Lets do the same for people who are receiving unemploymeny benifit. What's good for the goose.....

The public sector pay would be my main concern tbh.

if you're under-25 and have no kids, you shouldn't get 205euro..

what if you are married and have a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,016 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Should be reduced over time to encourage the professional unemployed to change to carer's allowance.

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

should be reduced to 100 per week, thats still a decent chunk, and would bring our social welfare spend down to 10 billion overnight

if you do the math, our welfare bills is currently 20 billion per annum (based on 5-8% unemployment) and we take in 31 billion in tax, that means (apart from discretionary taxes) 95% of the population dedicates 66% of its tax payments towards 5-8% of the population, crazy stats

also put prisoners to work, preferebly building roads and digging tunnels for metro north... I know if I went to prision I would prefer 10 hours of work rather than inactivity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

woot? hell no, if anything increase it, I cannot afford to go out twice a week in town anymore... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,016 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

deepriver wrote: »
    should be reduced to 100 per week, thats still a decent chunk, and would bring our social welfare spend down to 10 billion overnight

if you do the math, our welfare bills is currently 20 billion per annum (based on 5-8% unemployment) and we take in 31 billion in tax, that means (apart from discretionary taxes) 95% of the population dedicates 66% of its tax payments towards 5-8% of the population, crazy stats

also put prisoners to work, preferebly building roads and digging tunnels for metro north... I know if I went to prision I would prefer 10 hours of work rather than inactivity

Prisoners and tunnels? Not a good idea.

and a tunnel straight to the airport at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

woot? hell no, if anything increase it, I cannot afford to go out twice a week in town anymore... :(

You can!

You just need to read the recession busting tips in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

Bye Bye house

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Making prisoners work doesn't make sense in that context.
    You're putting labourers out of work that way. Less tax payed into the government coffers.

If you're going to get prisoners to d oanything, then it should be doing something in the community. Cleaning up graffiti, mowing grass (no, not gardens) in urban and suburban estates, cleaning up beauty spots and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

Bye Bye house

And what happens to people who become homeless? They become a further burden on the state. Sheesh!

Person A: single and shares a house with strangers.

Person B: married with mortgage.

Why should person A have to share a house if we think that Person B should be allowed to keep his mortgage and house?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

And what happens to people who become homeless? They become a further burden on the state. Sheesh!

Way too much of a nanny state. People just think they are entitled to everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There's pure crap if ever I seen it... 66% of tax goes to 5-8% of the population? Where do you get these figures from?

Homeless? No.. they just don't have the pleasure of me paying extra tax for welfare so they own a house.

They share like the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Way too much of a nanny state. People just think they are entitled to everything.

Well if I lost my house i would be in robbing yours ... and since you follow a neocon republican social model, there would be no cops to catch me :D

There's pure crap if ever I seen it... 66% of tax goes to 5-8% of the population? Where do you get these figures from?

it's not unreasonable.. In the thread earlier about the guy with 4 kids and a house, he was taking home c.37k in welfare.

that's 9 times what i pay in income tax.. 9 people to support one family.

Person A: single and shares a house with strangers.

Person B: married with mortgage.

Why should person A have to share a house if we think that Person B should be allowed to keep his mortgage and house?

if you allow person b to lose his mortgage you have a. a homeless person who is now blacklisted and b. another house which the banks have to sell at a loss

I just don't see your point about being under 25 and no kids, but if you're 26 and no kids with no mortgage etc then you can have the full welfare payment. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

170 euro per week would suffice imo. I had to sign on 3 weeks ago and have bills and rent to pay, but for a single person with no kids, the rate now is laughably high.

I really couldn't blame people for taking up the dole queues full-time.

if you allow person b to lose his mortgage you have a. a homeless person who is now blacklisted and b. another house which the banks have to sell at a loss

I just don't see your point about being under 25 and no kids, but if you're 26 and no kids with no mortgage etc then you can have the full welfare payment. Makes no sense.

ok, any age with no kids = 150euro plus rent allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Bye Bye house

Not necessarily!

Interesting read.........

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/now-golfing-pays-better-than-work-1708412.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,977 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

So how about we bring everything down to the euro zone average then?

If only it were as simple as that,

The allowance is €200 or so here, its £60 in England, the fact that it reflects the average needed to survive for a week says a lot,

mainly that we have better things to be changing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

This is a great idea,i haven't heard of this before.Imagine all the money we'd save.We could invest it in banks who in turn could invest it in overseas property and devolpers.We could even get the goverment to control the finances.

The people on the dole should be then made to paint the cliffs of moher and when they are finished jump.

Advertisement