Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce unemployment benefit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Where did this person get 37K a year? He's not on social welfare, it can't be possible. If you get all benifits from social welfare, it doesn't add up to this.

That's because they're making this shit up.

It's right up there with the "everyone on the dole is a lazy, drunken gambler with a GAA squads worth of bastards and a unhealthy obsession with jeremy kyle" stereotype for stupid things that get posted daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

That's because they're making this shit up.

It's right up there with the "everyone on the dole is a lazy, drunken gambler with a GAA squads worth of bastards and a unhealthy obsession with jeremy kyle" stereotype for stupid things that get posted daily.

+ 1 Maith an fear. I love a straight talking person

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I just want to say that not everyone on the dole is loving it or some type of waster. My GF has been on the dole for about 4 months. Previously she had been working for Ulster Bank for several years. She absolutely hates it, she feels guilty standing inline and she is bored senseless everyday. She'd love to be out working but has had no success in finding a job.

I've lost count of the number of recruitment agencies she's visited and emailed. She's on the job sites each and everyday and I've asked friends who work in big companies if there is anything going to bare her in mind. She doesn't drink much (special occasions only) or smoke and the only going out we'd do would be to the cinema which is quite cheap as we have the Cineworld Unlimited card.
    I work full time and pay alot of the bills but the €204 she gets each week helps with the rent, heating, electricity, food and other bills. On a monthly basis there is alot less coming in than when she had been working and it's difficult.

Not eveyone is a waster. Some folk don't like being on the dole but are finding it difficult getting a job. They don't live extravagant lifestyles and the dole helps them achieve a basic level of living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

It is stupid to insist that unemployment benefit should be reduced,how can anyone survive on 200 quid in this day and age,cop on people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Selling your car would be a pretty bad idea, no matter how much you need the money, you may need your car for work and what not... Wouldn't be a wise decision...[/quote]

If I can get a buyer the car is gone, simple as that.
    Yes I might end up needing it for work & getting around but I don't need a big car to do that, if I go back a few years & buy a smaller car it will still get me from A to B.
    Granted it may noy be as comfortable or flash as what I have but I'd prefer to be able to sleep at night & not worry about a car being paid for.
    A the end of the day it is a luxury item for me. I do need a car because of where I live but a '96 Micra would do the job perfectly well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

I know of two families who have each been 2 years + on the dole. Both are going on foreign holidays this year - one to the South of France.

This can't be right!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Selling your car would be a pretty bad idea, no matter how much you need the money, you may need your car for work and what not... Wouldn't be a wise decision...

If I can get a buyer the car is gone, simple as that.
    Yes I might end up needing it for work & getting around but I don't need a big car to do that, if I go back a few years & buy a smaller car it will still get me from A to B.
    Granted it may noy be as comfortable or flash as what I have but I'd prefer to be able to sleep at night & not worry about a car being paid for.
    A the end of the day it is a luxury item for me. I do need a car because of where I live but a '96 Micra would do the job perfectly well.[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOO! Don't turn to the darkside. Anything but a micra! :pac:

Where did this person get 37K a year? He's not on social welfare, it can't be possible. If you get all benifits from social welfare, it doesn't add up to this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055538945

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/now-golfing-pays-better-than-work-1708412.html
    Explain to me why "boy-racers" don't deserve it? Same with alcoholics and gamblers. You believe those who spend money on "proper" things, deserve more? Those who drink and gamble deserve less? They can spend the money on what they wish... ;)

it's the taxpayers money. the dole should provide a level of income to cover food, lodgings and some social life.. with 500,000 people on it, we can't afford to cover fancy cars, alcoholism or gambling addictions..

Maybe they are making the cuts elsewhere to make the loan payments? If you are in a finance agreement it is in your best interest to prioritise that payment, of course, most of ye know nothing about finance or the likes...

Where did the poster state that he bought the full car with his dole money?

Selling your car would be a pretty bad idea, no matter how much you need the money, you may need your car for work and what not... Wouldn't be a wise decision...
    i drive a car worth 700euro and it does me grand. a downgrade is the obvious choice when 39% of your income (80/205) is being spent on a car. then running costs on top of this..

edit: my car is worth 34% of one month's take home pay.. assuming the girl's audi cost 10k, that is the equivelant of 31 month's pay. like seriously, i think i should get an audi..

I know of two families who have each been 2 years + on the dole. Both are going on foreign holidays this year - one to the South of France.

This can't be right!!!!

but in every walk of life, in every culture, in every community, there are fraudsters and wasters. That does not mean everyone is the same. It's totally ignorant to think that in these circumstances everyone on the dole loves being there, they don't. For hard working people it is an embarrasment to be on the end of a dole queue, and why are they embarrased? because of the predjudice they face by people lucky enough to have never lost their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This can't be right!!!!
    Technically one is only allowed leave the country (26 countrys) for just 12 days in the whole year and this includes Saturdays if they are signing on.

One must give written permission if they want to go abroad or they could loose all their benefits and have to start again. Eborders will soon take care of all this. :)

• Advertisement

I just want to say that not everyone on the dole is loving it or some type of waster.
    we're talking about the level of payment.. see thread title.

My missus is on the one parent allowance and all the mod cons that go with it,if she wasnt,we wouldnt get by and wouldnt be able to live together if she wasnt,I dont,knwo how anyone can get by on 200 quid

The thread title does not add up to what other posters are saying...

Technically one is only allowed leave the country (26 countrys) for just 12 days in the whole year and this includes Saturdays if they are signing on.

One must give written permission if they want to go abroad or they could loose all their benefits and have to start again. Eborders will soon take care of all this. :)

Really? that's mad, I never knew that!
    Full of interesting stuff this interweb isn't it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

And I'm saying that not everyone is a waster and that the level of payment is just enough to cover a basic standard of living in ireland for the average person.

It's totally ignorant to think that in these circumstances everyone on the dole loves being there, they don't. For hard working people it is an embarrasment to be on the end of a dole queue, and why are they embarrased? because of the predjudice they face by people lucky enough to have never lost their jobs.

I am not talking about embarresment etc... that is a seperate and very important issue in its own context. I am talking MONEY. Obviusly people on the dole are receiving more than they require if they can go on holidays!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

it's the taxpayers money. the dole should provide a level of income to cover food, lodgings and some social life.. with 500,000 people on it, we can't afford to cover fancy cars, alcoholism or gambling addictions..

i drive a car worth 700euro and it does me grand. a downgrade is the obvious choice when 39% of your income (80/205) is being spent on a car. then running costs on top of this..

edit: my car is worth 34% of one month's take home pay.. assuming the girl's audi cost 10k, that is the equivelant of 31 month's pay. like seriously, i think i should get an audi..[/quote]

Fair enough but when I bought it I didn't have my crystal ball with me so unfortunately I couldn't see into the future. Had I known I would lose my job due to a global economic downturn then I don't think I would have bought it.
    I'm going to sicken you more now, it cost more than 10 grand, a lot more :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    My missus is on the one parent allowance and all the mod cons that go with it,if she wasnt,we wouldnt get by and wouldnt be able to live together if she wasnt,I dont,knwo how anyone can get by on 200 quid

You cant see anything wrong here?

EF wrote: »

Nope

Caught Rotten

• Advertisement

Nope

Are you the father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055538945

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/now-golfing-pays-better-than-work-1708412.html

edit: my car is worth 34% of one month's take home pay.. assuming the girl's audi cost 10k, that is the equivelant of 31 month's pay. like seriously, i think i should get an audi..

Rubbish links, he doesn't recieve 37K in social welfare payments, read the article again. Fking indo... load of balls.

Downgrading is a good thing, but not now, since you will get feck all for your car. That car you bought last year for 10K? You might get 3K for it now. It's not worth it. Don't be thinking otherwise. I won't be selling my car no matter how bad things get.
    I am not talking about embarresment etc... that is a seperate and very important issue in its own context. I am talking MONEY. Obviusly people on the dole are receiving more than they require if they can go on holidays!!!

Says who? They are entitled to save and go on holidays like everyone else. They may have had savings, they may have been offered this holiday by a friend of family membet. I will be going away for two weeks in the middle of summer to Europe, couldn't afford to go at that time when I was working fulltime... oooh yea baby :) Of course, you are going to assume that I am scamming or that I am getting too much money. Right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Nope

It is fraudulent. You are not supposed to be getting single parent welfare if you are living with her. I would hapily report you for this :) People like you and your "missus" are giving everyone else on social welfare a bad name. Leeches on society... pfft.

Some people... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Are you the father?

Does that matter? She shouldn't have anybody living with her, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

i was trying to compromise.. my new stance is as follows.

Person A: single with no kids: 150 euro

Person B: married with mortgage: 205 euro

thoughts?

Thoughts? Yeah fcuk that .
    Why should I subsidise someone who had a mortgage.
    More to the point if I was let go from work why shouldn't I get the same as someone with a mortgage.
    I made a decision not to buy a house as it was clear to a blind man for the last 4 years we were heading into a serious recession.
    We were warned and 99% of people chose to ignore this advice and splashed out on houses.
    I didn't...paid off all my bills and still pay rent. So if I lost my job and it's now only a matter of time I could survive.
    So again why should I suffer for other people's stupidity.
    I'm paying around 15k a year in tax and that's before you start adding VAT/excise duty into the equation.

Are you the father?

No Im the son

Does that matter? She shouldn't have anybody living with her, as far as I know.

I dont know what exactly the entitlements are for a single parent and what the qualifying criteria are

fair enough, I do see your point, but not everyone is like that. If I lost my job tomorrow the €200 a week would do me for a while, but not for long, and I certainly wouldn't be able to afford holidays or even a night out on it, now there are things I could change, like I could sell my car (I don't have a loan on it btw) and downgrade to a smaller car but cars are worth so little now that it probably wouldn't be much use. I could downgrade my NTL so I didn't have sky sports, i could switch my broadband package all that kind of stuff but I think even with all that I would eventually struggle on Dole money.

I think everyones situation is so very different that it's hard to compare anyone but I do agree that if you are on the dole you shouldn't be able to afford foreign holidays or luxuries, especially if you're long term unemployed!

Says who? They are entitled to save and go on holidays like everyone else. They may have had savings, they may have been offered this holiday by a friend of family membet. I will be going away for two weeks in the middle of summer to Europe, couldn't afford to go at that time when I was working fulltime... oooh yea baby :) Of course, you are going to assume that I am scamming or that I am getting too much money. Right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are getting too much money!!!!

• Advertisement

No Im the son

And you are living with your missus (mother :confused:)

Advertisement