Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Final Fantasy VII Overrated??

Options
  • 11-04-2009 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I read an article recently claiming that Final Fantasy is overrated, specifically VII. I was wondering what people's thoughts on the subjest are. My personal favourite is X but I can't imagine categorising VII as overrated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's an excellent game but some consider it overrated due to the fanboy fever it creates. I love it cause it got me into JRPGs but I think there are better RPGs like Suikoden 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Trent Skydaddy

I never could get that into Suikodens, then again I started playing number 4 first. The JRPG's are my personal favourite type of game. FFVII was the first one I played for a considerable period of time, time that I still spend playing to this very day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

NO!

Whoever said they were overrated is an idiot. They're wonderful pieces of work and I hope to replay them all someday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Trent Skydaddy

I completely agree with you that it is amazing!!

I'd strongly recommend playing it again, but adding challenges to it such as no materia or only use the beginning weapons, makes it much more entertaining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just to start off FFVII is a great game however it really is vastly overrated and far from the best game ever which it is labelled with. The game has been surpassed in every way by games that have not only come out after it but before it as well.

First the battle system is poor. The materia system while easy to use leads to a very boring battle system were members of the party have no individuality. Contrast this to FFVI which came out before it which had 18 playable characters all with their own unique abilities in combat. The battle system has been bettered by many games, to name a few, Grandia, FFIV-FFVI, Panzer Dragoon Saga, FFIX-FFX, Suikoden 2, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, the Tales of games ect. The worst thing about the battle system is there are no tactics really whatsoever other than the usual elemental weakness exploitation. Compare that to FFX's superb tactical system.

Storywise it's nothing special. The early parts of the game in Midgar are amazing but it falls apart once you leave midgar and after it's big plot development well thats all it really has. It falls into JRPG/anime cliche after that with the cast of characters glove trotting trying to stop the bad guy ending the world. You can tell the game was a rush job. It may be hard to hear this but there are so many games and JRPGs out there with far better stories than this. Suikoden 2's tragic tale of friends torn apart by war, Panzer Dragoon Saga's unique world and storyline of a destroyed world, FFVI's brave upheaval of the traditional jrpg cliche story, Vagrant Stories dark gothic tale. There's no way FFVII has the best story of an game let alone JRPG with these games around. Character development is pretty high but again surpassed by other games. Even it's big shock at the end of disc 1 was done before and handled better by lesser known games.

One big issue I have with fans of the game is them holding aloft Sephiroth as the pinnacle of videogame villians. All he really had going for him was that he looked cool and he did something shocking. Other than that he was a cookie cutter anime villian. In the JRPG genre suikoden 2's Luca Blight is not going to be beaten from the top spot that easily. A far more complex character you'll hate him for the genocide he is causing but also feel pity for him because of the past that turned him into a monster. FFVI's Kefka is also a more interesting and better bad guy. He isn't cool, he wears a jesters outfit, and is a total coward. But it's the cowardice that makes you hate him so much. Taking videogames as a whole, Sephiroth has nothing on S.H.O.D.A.N.

To sum it up FFVII is far from the greatest game ever and there's dozens of better games including games in the JRPG genre.
    I never could get that into Suikodens, then again I started playing number 4 first.

Well starting with 4 was a problem there since it's the worst in the series and pretty crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I notice theres a few PS1 games on playstation store to download. Anyone reckon FFVII will ever appear there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

I never could get that into Suikodens, then again I started playing number 4 first. The JRPG's are my personal favourite type of game. FFVII was the first one I played for a considerable period of time, time that I still spend playing to this very day.

Suikoden IV is the worst in the series by a light year.The suikoden games are great-try to hunt them down on ebay.I,II,IV and V were released in E.U. but III was'nt.I hope there will be a Suikoden VI.Anywho,no FFVII is not over rated as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Keith C wrote: »
    I notice theres a few PS1 games on playstation store to download. Anyone reckon FFVII will ever appear there??

I saw someone post on the forums (noodler me thinks) that it's on the japenese PSN.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've said in 2 other threads that it's very unlikely to come out here since EA own the rights to publish it in america and Sony in europe. So it's a legal minefield to get it published really. Otherwise the other square games on the PSN would have been released outside japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

I saw someone post on the forums (noodler me thinks) that it's on the japenese PSN.
    I heard this too but apparently it's only for PSP, i'd definitely buy if it became available in English and was for the PS3 especially at the great low prices for PSone games on PSN,
    And RE the thread, I love VII, it is a bit overated but if anyone played it on PSone when it came out it was massively brilliant for what was available at the time, personally though, I prefer VIII, brilliant storyline, music, gameplay, and esp. the battle system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not really down with the idea of opinions are you Retro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

indescribably overrated yes

Excellent game, excellent story (for the most part), plot twists, excellent side-quests etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Its not overrated, its a great game my favourite out of the series.:D

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Its not overrated, its a great game

that doesnt mean it cant be overrated

What do we even mean by overrated anyway?

Would you feel disapplointed if you played FF7 for the first time after hearing all the good things said about it? I really don't think so.

The fact so many of us consider it to be the best game they have ever played shouldn't impact on the quality of the game.

emmm i see....overrated, so from your rating and someone elses your is well below par??

Sorry? Didn't understand that last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

So when does a series become a franchise?

noodler wrote: »
    The fact so many of us consider it to be the best game they have ever played

is exactly what makes it overrated

its a good game, a bloody good game, but it doesnt come close to best game ever or anything like it

• Advertisement

Eh, no you have that arseways pal.

People's feelings for a particular game are exactly what makes it great or not and, in this case, millions of us do feel it is the best.

What is this anyway? The opinion police?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

What is this anyway? The opinion police?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Michael-O'Neill

Helix wrote: »
    that doesnt mean it cant be overrated

oh but your mom

People's feelings for a particular game are exactly what makes it great or not

no, im pretty sure its the game itself which defines whether the game is great or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Yep.

its not OVERRATED :D
    Its the bestest!!:D

In a perfect world, but people's perceptions of a game are ultimately what decides whether or not a game is great.

I know what you are saying but even a review is a person's opinion and all reviews would be identical if it were the case.

EDIT: I didn't care much for San Andreas but looking at the critical acclaim and number sold I recognise there must have been something about it.

Yep.

+1:p:p

In a perfect world, but people's perceptions of a game are ultimately what decides whether or not a game is great.

no, its not. a crap game doesnt become a great one because people think its great for some reason. the same way a great game doesnt become crap because it flops

youre saying that the quality of the game has nothing to do with how good it is, which is absolutely ridiculous

the publics opinion of a game only influences how successful it is, not how good it is, because the game is as good as it is before the public ever get their hands on it

• Advertisement

The argument is moot if you are going to take it to extremes.

However, between a group of GREAT games, it is the public which decide what the greatest game ever will be.

I didn't say the quality of a game has nothing to do with how great it is, we are assuming there won't be a bunch of turds in a potential "Greatest Games Ever List", but what else but opinions are what determines the relative greatness of a game?

Advertisement