Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kippure Time Trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I'm bringing my weighing scales, participation optional.
    Taking up weighing scales - for the bikes?

I wonder what mine will weigh in at... I just took took off my 11-23 KCNC cassette in favour of 12-25 Ultegra (need the gears man) so that adds on 100grams :(

I need a KCNC 11-26 - that would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Taking up weighing scales - for the bikes?

I was thinking bike+rider, since it's the only weight that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    I was thinking bike+rider, since it's the only weight that matters.

That's an abuse of our civil rights as athletes!

Unfortunately, for me, I can't make it since I need to work.......... ah well life is like that.

We will see how it goes this evening, would be nice to do a little series of these 'events'. Kippure is a tricky enough one to get to... Ones like from Taylors to the top of Three Rock, the climb up by cruagh etc... would make good, close ones. Starting a 7 a little later in the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Ones like from Taylors to the top of Three Rock
    Yeah that's a tough one, mate of mine lives on that road. much prefer cycling from his house than to it!
    The only problem with the open roads is that there are often muppetmobiles out and about, especially in summer. At least the kippure is a closed "road".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

There should be a handicap system for the *ahem* heavier riders I think... bonus minutes for fatties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

There should be a handicap system for the *ahem* heavier riders I think... bonus minutes for fatties!

Surely you have additional power reserves ;)

I don't think it'd be fair to add minutes onto your times - sure ye're already at enough of a disadvantage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@ken- 5:15 at the RSA building sounds good, anyone else meeting then?

@ken- 5:15 at the RSA building sounds good, anyone else meeting then?

Mel will be meeting you guys there too.

• Advertisement

So only the 3 of us then? Tiny how about you? Raam? You must surely need help navigating the southside?
    Seeya there so, I'm about to head off home now in a few mins.

kenmc wrote: »
    So only the 3 of us then? Tiny how about you? Raam? You must surely need help navigating the southside?
    Seeya there so, I'm about to head off home now in a few mins.

I wrote the directions on a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Someone with a moped should come along to bring **** to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I'm fuming, been pumping the tyres, lubing the chain, drinking lucozade sport all day, and my wife just rang to say she won't be home until 6 at the earliest. She has the fecking car!
    Fecking accountants, they can watch every penny like a hawk but when it comes to time they're useless :mad:

What a cracking evening too......enjoy it guys, sorry for missing out.
    I'll be watching for the times this evening!

I'm going on a spin to howth to relax.

lafors wrote: »
    I'm fuming, been pumping the tyres, lubing the chain, drinking lucozade sport all day, and my wife just rang to say she won't be home until 6 at the earliest. She has the fecking car!
    Fecking accountants, they can watch every penny like a hawk but when it comes to time they're useless :mad:

What a cracking evening too......enjoy it guys, sorry for missing out.
    I'll be watching for the times this evening!

I'm going on a spin to howth to relax.

If you start heading over now, you will make it

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to make this - stuck in Kildare. Hopefully next time if they're run a little later/closer.
    Maybe we could keep an informal list of times for the climb that could be updated by individuals as and when they get the opportunity/inclination to do it. Obviously would have to be based on trust but what's to be gained by cheating anyway. Just need to standardise precise start/finish points.
    Good luck to all who take part, I (kind of) envy you!

+1 lafors, cycle out, it will be a good warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

great way to spend a tuesday evening - we should definitely do that again.

As expected - ryan destroyed us all - 9.34, was it? Lead weights for you next time, I think...

Nahh, 9:26...

A perfect evening for it, spectacular views and great company.

I have a spreadsheet here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pYbR-2Fs-_VVq2OYExL4bEQ

Plop in your times and when the 17 (or was it 18) are in, I'll close up and put in the post.

Mel was 11:35 up it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Greyspoke wrote: »
    Maybe we could keep an informal list of times for the climb that could be updated by individuals as and when they get the opportunity/inclination to do it. Obviously would have to be based on trust but what's to be gained by cheating anyway. Just need to standardise precise start/finish points.

Start points were same as niceonetom's yesterday - start with back wheel touching the gate and finish at the stone pillars before you get to the mast.

• Advertisement

Time (hh:mm:ss)

Hours?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

13:04.
    Enjoyed the evening. Well done lads and lassies, great turn out.

Aye, great fun. Time added to timesheet. 13:20. Plus chain falling off excuse.

A new HR high of 188. I blame unfitness. Looking forward to getting better for the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Gutted I didn't get to head out. Didn't get home till 6:30.

You were lucky. You didn't have to see Barrabus and Raam drooling their way over the line. Bibs for those two next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

10:51, i bolloxed up the start, heart rate went way up highest its ever been and i had to cool the jets for a bit, great little week day event, cheers
    Cycling31-03-2009Heartrate-Distance.png?t=1238530250

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

About 13:45 for me, though I didn't time it precisely... definitely hit 197bpm though... oh, and got to the top before Blorg!*

*ok, he started ages after me, but I still got up there first!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Great turn out, lovely still evening.

13:55/176bpm/253W for me. Very pleased to beat my target time by over a minute. I maybe held back too much in the middle, but was dizzy and nauseous at the top, so wasn't all bad.

Judging by the top climbers, I definitely need to work on my dribbling skills. And lose another 5kg.

edit: 217bpm from Neil :eek:

11:46. Looking at the data, heart rate hit 200 at the end, that is a new high (and it felt like it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

12:38
    All I want to know is; when is the sprint or downhill challenge?

Advertisement