Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist

• 19-08-2008 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a good dentist in Dublin 15? or let me know which ones to avoid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

There is one beside the entrance to superquinn in blanchardstown, I have gone to him a few time

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Remember folks, if you've had a particular problem with a dentist please describe the issue rationally and do not use words like butcher or torturer. While I'd prefer positive recommendations only, some negative reactions are inevitable and basically any descriptions that could get Boards into trouble are banned and will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've been going to Liliana in the riverside medical Centre over the past year and she is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

oblivious wrote: »
    There is one beside the entrance to superquinn in blanchardstown, I have gone to him a few time

Agree Dr Kelly is a great dentist gone to him my since I was a child and a lovely man and brilliant dentist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Without a shadow of a doubt i'd thoroughly recommend Dr Loomes on the Clonsilla Road, i've had 'issues' with dentists in the past but found them fantastic.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Billy Hayes at the start of the Clonsilla road is excellent too. He's got a very good manor and very gentle with nervous people etc... Had forgotten how good he was till i had the occasion to go last Tuesday when a filling came loose :o

He also won't leave anyone in pain, so get down early in the morning, bring a book/paper and you will get seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is the dentist in Ongar Village any good? Need to go about a toothache some stage this week and Ongar is quite a handy location from a work point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Adrian Loomes on the Clonsilla Road is an excellent dentist. I didn't realise a painless root canal was possible. I can definitely recommend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

Its got to be Doctor Kelly, he's in the house straight across from the video shop in Blanchardstown village, backing onto the superquinn shopping centre. going to him for as long as I can remember. Really sound man and can have the craic! a good combination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Adrian Loomes on the Clonsilla Road is an excellent dentist. I didn't realise a painless root canal was possible. I can definitely recommend him.

+1, altho is he the son or the father? The father took out a wisdom tooth for me. I knew it was coming up and heard all the horror stories. I was shocked he suggested taking it out there and then, I thought he was just preparing the area and bam he says 'all out' :eek: couldnt believe it. Didn't feel a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Stark wrote: »
    Is the dentist in Ongar Village any good? Need to go about a toothache some stage this week and Ongar is quite a handy location from a work point of view.

If you mean the one in the meridian clinc then yeah.

Been to him a lot over the past year and he's quiet reasonable,professional and qiuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Cathooo wrote: »
    +1, altho is he the son or the father? The father took out a wisdom tooth for me. I knew it was coming up and heard all the horror stories. I was shocked he suggested taking it out there and then, I thought he was just preparing the area and bam he says 'all out' :eek: couldnt believe it. Didn't feel a thing!

Adrian is the son. Don't think George is there any more...........(reminds me i need to go to the dentist :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Paul Sullivan in Castleknock is good as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Cathooo wrote: »

yeah Adrian is the son. Dr loomes senior has retired unfortunatly. I'm not too mad about the girl that's replaced him either. Might move to the son but i found his manner a little odd to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

I was a little disappointed with Dr Hayes. I hadn't been for the dentist for a while and suspected I'd needed one or more fillings. I wanted to get a white filling for medical reasons.

I rang up some dentists in the area to see the cost (the last dentist I had is no longer on the system). The receptionist said they'd "work something out" as I had a medical card (technically it's not covered by the medical card system but I've heard of other dentists who put down the cost of the silver filling and charge the difference). When I went to pay I was charged €130. Fortunately I only needed one filling!!

Anyone got suggestions for other dentists on the GMS system (think they're the same as those on the PRSI system) in Dublin 15 who might be cheaper for this sort of work in the future? One person in another part of the country had told me their dentist didn't charge anything. Another person had only been charged €30. That's the info I'd heard going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Paul Murtagh in The Meridian Clinic in Ongar is the best as far as I'm concerned.
    I really really hate the dentist but he is fantastic. I cannot recommend him highly enough. What's great for me as well is he has appointments up to 7pm every Tuesday and Thursday.

kangaroo wrote: »
    Anyone got suggestions for other dentists on the GMS system (think they're the same as those on the PRSI system) in Dublin 15 who might be cheaper for this sort of work in the future? One person in another part of the country had told me their dentist didn't charge anything. Another person had only been charged €30. That's the info I'd heard going in.

I normally get checkup and cleaning for free under PRSI. Then I get half the cost of a filling paid for by PRSI so I think it works out to under €30 for the filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jess61067

The Meridian Clinic - Ongar1 The Avenue
    Ongar Village
    Dublin 15
    Tel: (01) 8614040

HI ya, the denist in meridian is really good, i've changed to him recently and have had quite a bit of work done. very gentle and doesnt insist on doing anything until your ready or can afford it. also good at pushing paperwork and stuff through pps etc...
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jess61067

sorry, forgot to tell you his name is Paul Murtagh - Meridian clinic , ongar,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

I normally get checkup and cleaning for free under PRSI. Then I get half the cost of a filling paid for by PRSI so I think it works out to under €30 for the filling.

Thanks Stark. However it's the white-type filling (think there's another term for it also) I'm looking for. I think I'd get the silver/amalgam/mercury one for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jinyasha

yeah Adrian is the son. Dr loomes senior has retired unfortunatly. I'm not too mad about the girl that's replaced him either. Might move to the son but i found his manner a little odd to be honest.

<snip>

I had 32 teeth. That is, I had all 4 wisdom teeth. All 4 became decayed. I had 2 of them removed. My previous dentist also suggested to remove the other 2. I moved, so I didn't have that done with my previous dentist.

I went to that clinic the other day since I heard good things about them on the board here. But I was very disappointed by that girl. She looked my teeth first. I told her I had 2 teeth removed. She said that's not possible because I have 31 teeth. Then she looked again and admitted that there are only 30 teeth. Then she concluded that all the remaining teeth are healthy and no work needs to be done, even though I can see one of the wisdom teeth is black just by looking into an ordinary mirror, not to mention the suggestion of my previous dentist.

<snip>

There is no way I'm going back to her.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Jinyasha, while I appreciate that you may not have had a good experience with that particular dentist, please refrain from posting remarks that could be construed as defamatory or libellous.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Little OT maybe .. but dare I ask how you do this? Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cleaning is free if you pay PRSI, and routine work like fillings and extractions are subsidised also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Gaspode wrote: »
    Cleaning is free if you pay PRSI, and routine work like fillings and extractions are subsidised also.
    Pay at the dentist and get a refund later? Free at the dentist and just sign a form?

Depends on the dentist. There's a form that needs to be filled out, most dentists will give you this. Some will claim the money back themselves after you fill out the form so you don't have to hand over any money. Others will charge you the money, then you have to send the form away yourself and go back to them with the returned approval form to claim back the money.

Depends on the dentist. There's a form that needs to be filled out, most dentists will give you this. Some will claim the money back themselves after you fill out the form so you don't have to hand over any money. Others will charge you the money, then you have to send the form away yourself and go back to them with the returned approval form to claim back the money.

My dentist charges me the reduced fee and puts in the claims herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Misccold

Hi,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the lady in Loomes practice but I had a good one so I thought I'd share.

I was recommended Dr Loomes so I booked there, unaware that they were sharing practice. I ended up with the "lady", whose name I can't remember, it was hard to spell anyway. She pulled out my wisdom tooth quickly, easily and painlessly. She charged 60€ which I think is fair. She made me come back a week later for a check-up and didn't charge me for that. I think she's brilliant.

This extraction was following a bad experience with the woman in Blanch Shopping Center, upstairs from the post office & barber shop, near the main entrance. I went there because I felt (with my tongue) a "hole" in the back of my wisdom tooth. She said the decay was tiny, tiny. She digged a big hole and filled it up, half my face was numb. I paid and when the numbness disappeared I could feel I still had the hole! I bought one of those special dentist mirror to see the back of the tooth and turns out she had dug something on the top of the tooth and filled it, and left the big hole in the back. I came back the next day, she said she didn't see it. She dug it again and filled it, this time she said it was really big! How did she miss it if it's so big? :mad: But, by then, she had dug too much of the tooth, so it didn't hold, and fell off after 6 months. So I got it extracted by the Loomes woman.

• Advertisement

Have been to the dentist clinic in Ongar recently and have to say they're excellent in there. Extremely pleasant to deal with and also got a free follow up checkup like in the above case.

Advertisement