Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful literature

Options
  • 29-10-2007 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be useful to list some books that deal with collecting militaria or are related to it. I'll start with these two.

I bought the first one quite recently and found it helpful although it is not complete (i.e. I am missing some weapons) but a nice overview of the diverse weapons used by different countrie during the 2nd World War.

weaponswwiiencyclv7.th.jpg

This book by Robin Lumsden is a bit out-of-date particularly as some fakes have become quite sophisticated since the book was published but it gives the beginning collector a nice overview over all kinds of fakes and particularly the most common ones.

lumsdendetecfakeyt1.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Ok I've decided to post up a selection of books that maybe of some use to others,sadly I feel this thread has been overlooked by collectors here and needs more posts,the first book is British campaign medals,a fine book for any british medal collector

here is the British and Irish campaign medal book,again a nice informative book that can be picked up for as little as five euro

Next up a book called German insignia of world war 2,this book covers a good selection of items

This one is the international militaria collectors guide,an interesting book but the prices given only reflect the prices when the book would of been published so if buying these type of books bear in mind they would have to be updated annually

Coming away for militaria collector books are some books that make great reading,first up is a book called Armageddon,this book deals with the advance into Germany from all fronts from eye witness account,the second is a book called Gallipoli,this one tells of the shambles the British made of the campaign,both of these read like novels and are an excellent read.Next up is a book called the storm passed by,again a very detailed booked covering all the attacks on Belfast and the allied shipping destined for Ireland and Britain,again some fascinating accounts and also dealing with the struggle between the two countries during the war,the last lot are again good books,one is a photographic book of ww2 the next deals again with the allied advance from the west and the last D-Day,again good reading.

• Advertisement

This book is a great book for anyone who has an interest in ww1 and Galway,it details all the ranks and regiments of the men who fought in ww1 from Galway and shows some good detailed photos of them,its a shame that there is not a book or books like this that covers the rest of the country

Last up for today are two encyclopedias ww1 and ww2,both of these are excellent for quick reference and are very well detailed

This is a book a friend in England put me on to,the book is out of print but there is still a half dozen copies to be had around the place and for anyone interested in British and commonwealth medals,British and German rifle and bayonet markings then this book is an invaluable source to the researcher,I've tried my best to photo this but if someone wants to see something in particular then let me know.the book is called A Dictionary Of Great War Abbreviations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

An excellent English language book for Soviet awards is 'The Comprehensive Guide to Soviet Orders and Medals' by P. McDaniel and P. Schmidt.
    Out of print but if you can pick up a copy before they run out it will serve you well.

There is a bigger 3 volume set that is English language, and more detailed than the above, but at €400 it isn't cheap.

Here's a book picked up the other day,I think four fifty is what it cost which included the postage,a book covering the story behind the Victoria Cross and takes you through the complete history right up to the present day.If anyone is interested it can be found on Ebay.

VictoriaCrossBook.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Here is the list of casualties from Offaly who died in ww1.

http://www.offalyindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2010/02/12/3994807-offalys-world-war-one-war-dead/

Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dipti

I know the book "The Transformation Of War" by Martin van Creveld. It analyzes who fights wars and why, and examines the inevitability of man's need to ''play'' at war.

Advertisement