Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

smyff wrote: »
    mgh i didnt drive up myself but if its in aldergrove again this year, did parking cost much at the place where everyone seemed to park?

Cant answer that one Smyff mate, mine was central Belfast and the parking was poo. I left v early to avoid rush hour and in the event there was an accident and also to get parked as where you can park fills up very very early on. I just chilled in the car while I was waiting.

Also bear in mind PYGs sticky about locations and being discreet, especially after the events of last night. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

indeed. im closer to the town than i am up where it was last year. but they must do it by district.

yeah, its shocking isnt it. some people like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

There wasnt last year but there had been three parts the year before apparently - the first part I think was an oral information test whereby you had to listen to a passage that was read out and answer questions on the information given and then the true/false/cant tell section and the data/maths section. It was just the two latter parts that we had last year. I had been told that they were introducing a spelling and grammar section to the IST this year as the standard of literacy in new recruits over the last year(s) was pretty appalling, i.e. using "threw" when it should be "through" etc. Just basic stuff.
    However this is not confirmed and the pratice IST on the website makes no mention of it. Still, I'd be prepared for anything on the day.
    I cant remember for definite the amount of questions in each section but I think the first part had 30 and the second part had 48 but really, do not quote me on that.
    The timing is the main thing and something you should be mindful of, they do not give you indications as to how the time is going, i.e. five minutes left etc, so its easy to get caught out. Lots of people complained about that at my test last year. I also sat up front in order to be near the clock on the wall though I did bring a stopwatch too which I ended up using. Its also easier to hear the instructions.
    You are provided with pencils, erasers and scrap paper for sums etc so dont worry about trivial stuff like that.
    Some locations have zilch in the way of parking so when you know where your test is, suss it out and make sure you get there in plenty of time to avoid arriving flustered. Ditto for the assessment centre.
    Bring your ID and your letter, they will ask for both as proof of identity.

Ah I See, and how much time do you get for all this?! It cant seriously be 10/12 mins for 48 questions.

Ah I See, and how much time do you get for all this?! It cant seriously be 10/12 mins for 48 questions.

Obviously its not 10 minutes for 40 odd questions! :rolleyes: Its around 30 minutes from what I remember.

Obviously its not 10 minutes for 40 odd questions! :rolleyes: Its around 30 minutes from what I remember.

Cheers, I had visions of people being human calculators with more processing power than the pentagon annihilating questions at a rate of 12 per second. PHEW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Cheers, I had visions of people being human calculators with more processing power than the pentagon annihilating questions at a rate of 12 per second. PHEW.

dont worry bout that. im not doin it this year. lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cpn

Penis Eye wrote: »
    dont worry bout that. im not doin it this year. lol:D

HAHA!

A good tip (well I found it helpful) is to avoid lingering on a specific question too long. They all attract equal marks so skipping a really long/ difficult one in favour of answering 2 or 3 easier ones helps (this mainly applies to the last test).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

I think I remember along the same lines as MrsGeneHunt, I think one section had about 30 qu and the other more than 40. I think there was only about 20-25 mins to answer each section, although i can't remember specifics - you do have to be very quick though so do lots of practice to get used to reading the questions quickly and getting your thought process working on the right lines.

The practice tests are much easier than the real thing, especially maths - be prepared for much harder on the day, but keep calm, read the questions properly, and keep an eye on your time (they won't give you 5minute or 1minute to go warnings) - as cpn said, if there is a question you get stuck on, move on to the easier ones and if you have time left at the end go back to the harder ones.

A useful tip I got given was simple but handy - read the instructions carefully - if it says you will not get penalised for an incorrect answer, and you have 5 questions left to answer with 1 minute to go, it might just be worthwhile skimming the questions and taking an educated guess (but make sure in the instructions it says you will not be penalised for incorrect answers) - although obviously only use this as a last resort if you are really stuck on time!

And good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LXI 87

Took me 3 goes to pass IST missed the pass mark by 1 mark both years. I was pissed last year when they lowerd the pass mark from 52 down to 50 because I had passed the original pass mark that time and they didn`t lower it on previous campaigns. IMHO I would say people without GCSE Maths and English would really struggle however it all depends on how well you cope under pressure.

• Advertisement

aye thats true about the maths i know a few punters who went to the IST and they all failed it cause well. theyre dead on and all but theyre not really smart in that way

aye thats true about the maths i know a few punters who went to the IST and they all failed it cause well. theyre dead on and all but theyre not really smart in that way

i like the way u put that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

:D

Anyone else get their IST date this morning?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭el_nino_9

yeh i got mine, they arent hanging about anyway!!
    Anyone else get their IST date this morning?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

And I got mine...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Post isnt past yet. I had a feeling something would arrive today.

(oh god back to waiting on the postman)

Got mine this morning, as el_nino_9 said they are definately not hanging about! :eek:

Yeah, got mine this morning as well. Of course, being the not-at-all-awkward geniuses that we know them to be they have scheduled me in for a time that is the exact opposite of what I requested, despite getting my application form done at lunchtime on the 5th.
    First come first served my big hairy bum cheeks! :mad:

Yeah, got mine this morning as well. Of course, being the not-at-all-awkward geniuses that we know them to be they have scheduled me in for a time that is the exact opposite of what I requested, despite getting my application form done at lunchtime on the 5th.

:D

Have to say they done the same with me mate but its not a prob for me to get work changed so not really a big issue. But can understand how it could be a severe pain in the ass for some people:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Mental image :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Canuck4PSNI

Got my IST date in the post today!

Got mine there a wee while ago. Not pleased........ its around 2 months away!!!!:mad:

Got mine there a wee while ago. Not pleased........ its around 2 months away!!!!:mad:

So is mine, but least might still get the call for may :)

nickni wrote: »
    So is mine, but least might still get the call for may :)

At least you have that hope. :cool:

really 2 months off? mine is much less than that

At least you have that hope. :cool:

Never say never, if the guy was right bout getting called for medical a few days ago, you never know ;)

really 2 months off? mine is much less than that

Did you request a certain time slotmate?

that i did! didnt get it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dark side

mines 2 months away as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

well hey guys

been a loooonnnggg while since ive been on here!!!! ive been in hiding lol

well im in the same sit as before vetting still ongoing and just got the letter through to IST and mine is almost 2 mths away as well and at the opposite time i asked for even though i had my apllication in by 11am !!!!! raging lol

• Advertisement

haha. good to see ya back smelly!!!

i have still to apply :S

but i will tomorrow evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

hey!

whats that book called that is supposed to help with the assessment tests?

Its called How to pass the Police Selction Process by Hodge & Tolley.
    Amazon have it about the eight quid mark if memory serves.

If you want my opinion ( and even if you dont here goes anyway! ) I wouldnt bother, its not that helpful, more geared to the mainland services than us.

If you can get hold of some verbal reasoning tests, you can buy books with these in and books on psychometric testing, these would be better for you.

If you know any teachers ask and see if they can get you old copies of the Prep 7 transfer tests, good for getting the old grey matter working.

Also Google phrases like aptitude tests etc, I remember someone posting waaay back that there was stuff online that they found with regards to tests.

Good luck one and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 P365

Hey,

I see that people are getting their dates already for IST. I applied on the 6th but am away until March 27th from home so my letter could be there and no one is there to check when my IST date is???? Would it be safe to say that it can wait for me to return on March 27th to open it? Or do I need to reply to it as soon as possible to say that I will be attending???

P365

P365 wrote: »
    Hey,

I see that people are getting their dates already for IST. I applied on the 6th but am away until March 27th from home so my letter could be there and no one is there to check when my IST date is???? Would it be safe to say that it can wait for me to return on March 27th to open it? Or do I need to reply to it as soon as possible to say that I will be attending???

P365
    The closing date for applications is April 3rd so there will not be any tests before then.

Did anyone recive the letter within' "ten working days" yet?

Did anyone recive the letter within' "ten working days" yet?
    if you applied on the first day you still have another 2 days to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Che75

Hi folks, was doing a couple of the official IST timed tests and I'm averaging mid-sixties percentage. Do any seasoned campaigners know whether this is crap or acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Think you need over 70% mate from memory roughly;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

got my date through today, and i am so surprised i got my preferred day and location. not that long away either, was expecting my allotted day to be like last year, in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, and in the middle of a week day, so had to take the full day off work! am pleased with that, hope I do much better this time round, dying to get in! am having the weirdest dreams about doing that push pull thingy, tho' i think it's my subconscious telling me i have been a lazy biatch and need to start exercising again, not looking forward to it at all, done feck all since november!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Che75 wrote: »
    Hi folks, was doing a couple of the official IST timed tests and I'm averaging mid-sixties percentage. Do any seasoned campaigners know whether this is crap or acceptable?
    just out of curiosity where did you do the official timed IST tests?

i have been a lazy biatch and need to start exercising again, not looking forward to it at all, done feck all since november!:eek:

Me either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Hi,

I applied a few years ago around 4 and you could pick where you were doing the test. I picked dublin and sat it in dublin. So i applied a few days ago for the latest competition, how long does it usually take to get a response and what are the likelyhood of getting the test close to you. I dont really mind, close to home would be nice, i wouldnt mind a bit of a road trip either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Che75

Hi Triple-M, the tests I'm referring to are just the ones from last years campaign and this years. However, I'd recommend the 'Practice Tests for Critical Verbal Reasoning' volume by Hodder Ed. if you seek more of the True/False/Can't Tell type q's. I agree that the National Police Selection book is no good for IST preparation but is nonetheless useful for understanding and analysing the 'core competencies' and what is required from the role plays, etc. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 potatopeeler

Hi all,

First time applicant here, (or should that be appliCAN ?) :D I'll be bursting my cheery with C15, Does the IST contribute the the overall merit score :confused:. Or is the merit score based on performance at the A/C ?

Many thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

First time applicant here, (or should that be appliCAN ?) :D I'll be bursting my cheery with C15, Does the IST contribute the the overall merit score :confused:. Or is the merit score based on performance at the A/C ?

Many thanks.

hey there potato peeler, welcome aboard! as far as we can guess the ist has some bearing on ur merit score as for the a/c there is only a window of about 20 marks but about 1000 applicans (mexicants) on it! between me and ali08 there was a different in 2 marks for the ac but 100 in merit score! hope that goes a long way to quenching the thirst of your campaign virgin ass!!! :D

I still avent got any news off them....wtf?!

Hi all, new person here, been skulking around these boards for a while but applied for the first time last week so figured I'd get on here eventually!

Just wondering, anyone whos done the IST before, I got The Police Selection Process book by Ian Colin Hutchinson off amazon (it was the first one I came to and knowing my luck the most irrelevent...) is the maths bit as easy as the tests in it?? I Mean i'm pretty much getting them all right in the time, apart from percentages for some reason my head just doesn't like doing percentages! Or have I got a really rubbish book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

Hi all, new person here, been skulking around these boards for a while but applied for the first time last week so figured I'd get on here eventually!

Just wondering, anyone whos done the IST before, I got The Police Selection Process book by Ian Colin Hutchinson off amazon (it was the first one I came to and knowing my luck the most irrelevent...) is the maths bit as easy as the tests in it?? I Mean i'm pretty much getting them all right in the time, apart from percentages for some reason my head just doesn't like doing percentages! Or have I got a really rubbish book?

Hiya, good on you for applying and hope it goes well for you. The short answer is NO, the maths test will be more difficult, the practice ones in any book I've ever seen are always much easier so I don't know if the book choice matters so much for practice for IST. If I were you I would just keep practicing as much as possible, google other practice aptitude tests and work on improving your time and being able to read and understand questions quickly, in real thing it is not as simple as a list of questions, you get a lot of data to process. In saying that, I passed it so its not rocket science, if you are already good at maths you should be grand. Good luck!

Cheers, I knew it was too good to be true! :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement