Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Adams "England Captain"

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does this guy think hes as good as he thinks he is. He parades around as a plastic world chamption from a few years ago. the only reason he managed to become a world champion was cause all the serious compition which by the way handed him out defeat after defeat over the years was gone over to join the pdc. Even then he nearly managed to **** it up. The bbc guys build this guy up as the best dart player in the world when in fact there buildin up a lame donkey in a real world of therobread horses. And dont get me started on the grand slam of darts, Adams refused to compete in the 2007 Grand Slam of Darts, Despite fellow BDO players Mark Webster, Phill Nixon, Scott Waites, Gary Anderson, Shaun Greatbatch and Niels De Ruiter taking part Adams turned down his invitation to the event claiming he wanted to stay loyal to the BDO. Critics argued Adams wouldn't have shown any disloyalty to the BDO if he had taken part, unless the BDO were to punish the other BDO players for taking part. Adams also declined his invitation to take part in the 2008 Grand Slam of Darts. he was prob afraid a good beating from taylor or barney would tarnish his image as a world champion. one word people "bollox", Any one agree or disagree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I have to agree with you one that, I was thinking along them lines myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Agree. He's a joke. The standard of the BDO World championships has gone seriously downhill since Barney joined the "real" world championship. Hopefully the BDO one will get scrapped and there'll be one world champion, darts isn't big enough for there to be two organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Agree with TheBull

Adams is obviously not of the standard of the top PDC lads and he should have competed at the grand slam if he was the "best".

Disagree with death1234567

The BDO has a big place in darts and giving players the oppurtunity to play from a very young age and at county level is very important. Barney, Mardle etc started here and essentially learned their trade before defecting. To be honest i like the bdo as the Sky production is turning more like a football match than darts at the minute and is only gonna get worse. One good thing about the BDO is we dont have to listen to Sid trying to talk with Taylors balls in his mouth the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

Yep, I'd agree with what's been said above. The BDO has its place and like at the Grand Slam, it's a huge relief not to have to try and filter out Sid. (Although I did hear that Tony Green asked "which way will he go" when someone had 3 left.)

I think the Sky/BBC discussion is for another day though.

I couldn't argue with the Adams points either. Fair enough if he's loyal to the BDO but skipping the Grand Slam two years in a row did seem a little like he was running from a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dont particulary like the guy but tbh ye are being way to harsh and he has actually played in the PDC before and he's record was very good : He competed in the PDC between 1999 and 2001. He played in the revived News of the World Darts Championship in 1997, reaching the semi finals, losing to Phil Taylor who won the event. Adams then claimed the Scania Open in 1999, beating Taylor in the final. He played in the 2000 PDC World Matchplay but lost in the first round. He returned to Blackpool a year later in 2001 and reached the semi finals. He beat Mick Manning, Alan Warriner and Dennis Smith before losing the eventual winner Phil Taylor. He then reached the quarter finals of the 2001 World Grand Prix, beating Peter Manley and Alex Roy before losing to John Lowe. Afterwards he never played in a PDC tournament again. So in fairness he's record was very respectable and IMO he has actually improved greatly since that period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

is he still england captain? Jaysus he must be captain for about 15 years at this stage.

Always seemed to be a bit of a bottler alright. nearly bottled the final a couple of years back for 6-0 up. Agree that he's afraid of taking a spanking against one of the big PDC guys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Agree. He's a joke. The standard of the BDO World championships has gone seriously downhill since Barney joined the "real" world championship. Hopefully the BDO one will get scrapped and there'll be one world champion, darts isn't big enough for there to be two organisations.

Rubbish. The PDC wouldn't exist without the BDO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Ive never really liked wolfie, he'll be exposed by the good BDO players, happens every year, this year there's too many solid players for him to make more than the quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I always quite liked him...........im sure he just feels comfortable in the bdo........himself, hankey, o'shea, walton etc seem to just like the family atmosphere of it all.

For some reason it seems the bdo is mostly made up of yorkshire or north of engerland men...........very rarely see a londoner in the champs.

Also just cause he turned down the chance to play in the gsod (for his own reasons)...........doesnt make him a bad player :rolleyes: outside Taylor, barney and maybe wade he would hold his own in the pdc imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I think he's a very good player and would hold his own in he PDC.
    So what if he turns down the Grand Slam as mentioned for his own reasons.

The BBC commentators may talk him up so do Sky for PDC payers but to a much larger extent and the overhyping of Taylor is at times disgusting but I don' dislike him because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Rebel021 wrote: »

The BBC commentators may talk him up so do Sky for PDC payers but to a much larger extent and the overhyping of Taylor is at times disgusting but I don' dislike him because of it.

I do agree sky do hype it up way to much and that sid waddell drives me crazy but the tale of the tape tells it own story

Phil Taylor
    BDO Majors - Best Performances
    World Ch'ship Winner 1990, 1992
    World Masters Winner 1990
    World Darts Trophy Winner 2006
    Int. Darts League QF 2006
    PDC Premier Events - Best Performances
    World Ch'ship Winner 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009
    World Matchplay Winner 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008
    World Grand Prix Winner 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008
    Grand Slam Winner 2007, 2008
    Premier League Winner 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Ch'ship League Winner 2008
    Desert Classic Winner 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008
    European Ch'ship Winner 2008
    UK Open Winner 2003, 2005
    US Open/WSoD Winner 2006, 2007, 2008

World Ch'ship Winner 2007
    World Masters Winner 2008
    World Darts Trophy Finalist 2004, 2006
    Int. Darts League Quarter finalist 2006
    World Matchplay Semi Final 2001
    World Grand Prix Quarter Final 2001

Result No contest

I would say sky have every justifcation build him up weather u like him or not,

and for adams to turn down a place in the GSOD is just stupid what ever the reason, He was garnteed prize money of £4000 just for takin part, Silly boy

2008 PartyBets.com Grand Slam of Darts
    � Prize Fund
    Winner �100,000
    Runner Up �40,000
    3rd-4th �20,000
    5th-8th �12,500
    9th-16th �7,500
    17th-32nd �4,000
    High Finish �2,000

The Bull wrote: »
    I do agree sky do hype it up way to much and that sid waddell drives me crazy but the tale of the tape tells it own story

Phil Taylor
    World Ch'ship Winner 1990, 1992
    World Masters Winner 1990
    World Darts Trophy Winner 2006
    Int. Darts League QF 2006
    World Ch'ship Winner 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009
    World Matchplay Winner 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008
    World Grand Prix Winner 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008
    Grand Slam Winner 2007, 2008
    Premier League Winner 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Ch'ship League Winner 2008
    Desert Classic Winner 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008
    European Ch'ship Winner 2008
    UK Open Winner 2003, 2005
    US Open/WSoD Winner 2006, 2007, 2008

World Ch'ship Winner 2007
    World Masters Winner 2008
    World Darts Trophy Finalist 2004, 2006
    Int. Darts League Quarter finalist 2006
    World Matchplay Semi Final 2001
    World Grand Prix Quarter Final 2001

Result No contest

I would say sky have every justifcation build him up weather u like him or not,

and for adams to turn down a place in the GSOD is just stupid what ever the reason, He was garnteed prize money of £4000 just for takin part, Silly boy

2008 PartyBets.com Grand Slam of Darts
    � Prize Fund
    Winner �100,000
    Runner Up �40,000
    3rd-4th �20,000
    5th-8th �12,500
    9th-16th �7,500
    17th-32nd �4,000
    High Finish �2,000

No one was ever suggesting he was anywhere near Taylor, but to say he's a fake and a coward is equally inaccurate he is a very competent dart player who would imo be definitely in the top 8 in the PDC but he has choosen to stay loyal to the BDO which if anything he should be admired for and not ridiculed

No one was ever suggesting he was anywhere near Taylor, but to say he's a fake and a coward is equally inaccurate he is a very competent dart player who would imo be definitely in the top 8 in the PDC but he has choosen to stay loyal to the BDO which if anything he should be admired for and not ridiculed

You think Wolfie would make the top 8

are you having a laugh, Hamilton, Lewis, Nicholson, Tabern, Mardle, Lloyd, Stompe, Manley, Klassen, Van der Voort, Van gerwan, Priestley

All of these would gobble the bottler up and spit him out

Good player, not great player, He wont win the BDO one, in fact i dont think he will even come close, too many far superior players with bottle for him to win it.

He's barely a top 32 PDC player at a push

are you having a laugh, Hamilton, Lewis, Nicholson, Tabern, Mardle, Lloyd, Stompe, Manley, Klassen, Van der Voort, Van gerwan, Priestley

Good player, not great player, He wont win the BDO one, in fact i dont think he will even come close, too many far superior players with bottle for him to win it.

Quite a few bottlers in there aswell tbh, check out he's record against Stompe btw ;)

Past history means nothing , stompe has only come on as a player in the last 6 months, and has prooved his bottle and ability in the last 2 tournaments, quarters of the worlds losing to phil taylor and winning a german championship, beating phil taylor

How many people can say they beat phil taylor in the final of anything in the last 2 years?

BDO World Championship record

1994 unseeded Quarter Final Magnus Caris 2-4
    1995 4 Semi Final Raymond van Barneveld 4-5
    1996 3 Quarter Final Steve Beaton 1-4
    1997 1 1st Round Roger Carter 1-3
    1998 4 1st Round Robbie Widdows 2-3
    1999 3 Quarter Final Chris Mason 4-5
    2000 6 1st Round Steve Coote 2-3
    2001 unseeded 2nd Round Ronnie Baxter 1-3
    2002 2 Semi Final Tony David 4-5
    2003 4 2nd Round Bob Taylor 1-3
    2004 6 1st Round Richie Davies 2-3
    2005 7 Final Raymond van Barneveld 2-6
    2006 2 Semi Final Raymond van Barneveld 2-6
    2007 1 Final Phill Nixon 7-6 Winner
    2008 4 Semi Final Mark Webster 4-6

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

If you think Adams is only top 32 then sorry but you haven't a clue. He's a more consistent and solid performer than almost all those mentioned above. True there are questions about his bottle but you could say the same about half that list. I reckon he'd cruise into the top 16 easily. Didn't he get to a final of the Masters of Darts or WDT that contained both BDO and PDC players a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Adams turns down the Grand Slam yet again:rolleyes:
    Waites Takes Adams' Spot
    10 Feb 2009
    MARTIN ADAMS has declined an invitation to compete in the 2009 PartyPoker.com Grand Slam of Darts.

Adams was invited to compete in the tournament, which features successful stars from both the PDC and BDO/WDF circuit, as a result of his victory in the 2008 World Masters.

Following a meeting of the PDC's Board of Directors, the PDC has ruled that Martin Adams will not be eligible for invitations into the tournament in future.

As a result of Adams declining his invitation, the PDC has invited World Masters runner-up Scott Waites to compete in the Grand Slam of Darts.

Waites, who competed in the inaugural Grand Slam of Darts in 2007, has accepted his invitation.

Following the Lakeside Championship, winner Ted Hankey, runner-up Tony O'Shea and semi-finalist Darryl Fitton will also be invited to compete in the 2009 Grand Slam of Darts.

2009 Grand Slam of Darts Invitations
    2008 Grand Slam of Darts

Winner: Phil Taylor
    Runner-Up: Terry Jenkins
    Semi-Finalists: Mervyn King, Gary Anderson

2007 Grand Slam of Darts
    Winner: (Phil Taylor)
    Runner-Up: Andy Hamilton
    Semi-Finalists: (Gary Anderson), Kevin McDine

PDC Tournaments
    2009 World Championship

Runner-Up: Raymond van Barneveld
    Semi-Finalists: (Mervyn King), James Wade

2008 World Championship
    Winner: John Part
    Runner-Up: Kirk Shepherd
    Semi-Finalists: Kevin Painter, Wayne Mardle

2009 World Matchplay
    Winner:
    Runner-Up:

2008 World Matchplay
    Runner-Up: (James Wade)

2009 World Grand Prix
    Winner:
    Runner-Up:

2008 World Grand Prix
    Runner-Up: (Raymond van Barneveld)

2009 Las Vegas Desert Classic
    Winner:
    Runner-Up:

2008 Las Vegas Desert Classic

2009 UK Open
    Winner:
    Runner-Up:

2008 UK Open
    Winner: (James Wade)
    Runner-Up: Gary Mawson

2008 US Open
    Runner-Up: Colin Lloyd

2009 Premier League Darts
    Winner:
    Runner-Up:

2008 Premier League Darts

2008 German Darts Championship
    Winner:
    Runner-Up:

2007 German Darts Championship
    Runner-Up: Denis Ovens

2009 Championship League Darts
    Winner:
    Runner-Up:

2008 Championship League Darts

2009 Players Championship
    Runner-Up: Robert Thornton

2009 European Championship
    Winner:
    Runner-Up:

2008 European Championship
    Runner-Up: Adrian Lewis

BDO Tournaments
    2009 World Championship

Winner: Ted Hankey
    Runner-Up: Tony O'Shea
    Semi-Finalists: Darryl Fitton (Martin Adams)

2008 World Championship
    Winner: Mark Webster
    Runner-Up: Simon Whitlock
    Semi-Finalists: Brian Woods (Martin Adams)

2008 World Masters
    Winner: Martin Adams - Declined Invitation
    Runner-Up: Scott Waites

2007 World Masters
    Winner: (Robert Thornton)
    Runner-Up: (Darryl Fitton)

Further Qualifiers
    Dart Players Australia Qualifier
    Number one in 2009 PDC North American Order of Merit
    European Order of Merit Leader
    ITV Wildcard Qualifier Winner

The PDC reserves the right to amend this qualifying criteria. Players in ( ) have already qualified for an invitation.

Good man Martin,:rolleyes: what a TOooooooooooooool, i am glad they wont be inviting the ungratefull bollox in the future. thats just plain stupid, turning down £4000 like that or is it £5000 this year?, (each Player is garanteed £4000 just for playin the first round of games). :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

The Bull wrote: »
    Good man Martin,:rolleyes: what a TOooooooooooooool, i am glad they wont be inviting the ungratefull bollox in the future. thats just plain stupid, turning down £4000 like that or is it £5000 this year?, (each Player is garanteed £4000 just for playin the first round of games). :confused:

have to agree there,im happy the pdc will not be inviting him back they have have giving him the every opportunity to compete in the grand slam of darts,
    i think he should of giving it a go even for one year ,like whats he got to lose everybody knows hes not as good as taylor ,but i think he would of got a lot more respect from the fans for even competing for one year ...its not as if hes a bad dart player i think he could of mixed it about with the top pros but as for winning it i dont think so ...sure if it didnt work out so what, 4 grand in the pocket and just go back being loyal to the bdo :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

The thing is "loyal to the bdo".............the bdo have given the go ahead for this competition...........they actually dont mind their players playing it..........all the rest will play in it..........I like wolfie but i think he is being a bit silly tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I can't figure out why he wouldn't enter the Grand Slam, Wolfie threw some great darts particularly in the Winmau masters last year, he can throw very good darts. It's harder to win things in the BDO since the top 10/16 are very closely matched. Take Taylor out of the PDC and you'd have a lot more names on trophys. You gotta think there's something going on behind the scenes with Olly"it's mine, it's mine all mine" Croft looking after his captain to make it worth his while not turning up to these events.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah this is a very strange one I could understand it if the BDO frowned upon their players taking part in this event but they don't, they don't mind at all. I really can't think of any explanation other than the fact Adams is one of the big boys in the BDO and he doesn't want to run the risk of not doing well in the Grand Slam and tarnishing his reputation.

Very good decision by the PDC not to invite him to the tournament anymore. He has had his chance now and he should be forgotten about. I really don't like the man because of this, it's just petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Rebel021 wrote: »

Couldnt agree more adams is a world calss player and a former world champion and current world masters campion i agree that he should of took up his invite to the gsod but to say he refused the invite because he was scared of the opposition is laughable to be honest!

barely top 32 pdc player youve got to be kidding:eek::eek:
    stompe?lloyd?mardle?manley?van der voort?van gerwin?WOULD GOBBLE HIM UP AND SPIT HIM OUT:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Look at adams lakeside record towards van der voorts and stompes, plus adams has already beaten van gerwin in a major final already, the rest u mentioned (hamilton,lewis,nicholson etc) would give martin a good game but to say they would thrash him is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

adams is a very good darts players, obviously he's world class, anyone who can maintain an average in the 90s for sets on end has to be, but he's defo not at the races where the top pdc players are concerned...

i think he's happy being a big fish in a small pond, and even though he'd mix it with a good few of pdc players and have decent matches for me taylor, barney, wade, jenkins or part would take him 9 times out of ten and thats the difference...

most of the bdo players with any class about them have made the switch in the last 5 years, and if he was serious about being classed in the same league as the best he'd have to do the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Webster and Anderson are massive losses to the BDO, he's in a smaller pond

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Webster and Anderson are massive losses to the BDO, he's in a smaller pond

He is probably #1 now with the BDO because Webster I thought was the best player in the BDO even after he got knocked out in the second round of this years Lakeside and Anderson is a very good player aswell + I read somewhere Fitton could be moving over

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

whaaames wrote: »
    adams is a very good darts players, obviously he's world class, anyone who can maintain an average in the 90s for sets on end has to be, but he's defo not at the races where the top pdc players are concerned...

Contradict yourself much, I follow darts, both PDC and BDO, both have excellent players. Phil Taylor is my favourite player, yes, but he has been since 1990, I jump on nobody's bandwagon.

You are saying that Martin Adams is a world class player but not in the races with the PDC players, WTF,

Having both met and played against the man, number one: top class bloke, number two: excellent player. Top sixteen handy in pdc ranking after two years if he joined (which we all know he wont).

My opinion only

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Maybe it was my imagination, but was Harrington having a go at Adams in Scotland at the Premier League. Twice he referred to 'bottlers' and how joining the PDC was where darts players proved they were professionals

I can understand loyalty, but I can also understand people do what is in their own best interests.

Maybe this is a lack of knowledge on my part, but as far as I know the only TV time BDO players get outside of Lakeside is the Grand Slam, largely organised by the PDC. There are hundreds of players that can average in the 90's out there, but when the pressure is on, the ones that can do it consistently do it in the PDC. When I see Adams throw, I see an excellent thrower who performs well in his comfort zone.

The Grand Slam tells alot. From a BDO point of view, Whitlock could've taken Taylor out last year, and Anderson knocked out the PDC's World Number 2. They ended up showing the World that the BDO can be every bit as good as PDC.

In my opinion, I think Adam's is doing more harm in the eyes of the general spectator by avoiding playing PDC players, it makes him look cowardly and his own code inferior

I'm sure BDO fans wish he'd get in there and mix it with them for at least one tournament

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

About the Adams thing with Harrington i have no clue, didn't see all of last nights show.
    Maybe this is a lack of knowledge on my part, but as far as I know the only TV time BDO players get outside of Lakeside is the Grand Slam, largely organised by the PDC. There are hundreds of players that can average in the 90's out there, but when the pressure is on, the ones that can do it consistently do it in the PDC. When I see Adams throw, I see an excellent thrower who performs well in his comfort zone.

The Grand Slam tells alot. From a BDO point of view, Whitlock could've taken Taylor out last year, and Anderson knocked out the PDC's World Number 2. They ended up showing the World that the BDO can be every bit as good as PDC.

In my opinion, I think Adam's is doing more harm in the eyes of the general spectator by avoiding playing PDC players, it makes him look cowardly and his own code inferior

I'm sure BDO fans wish he'd get in there and mix it with them for at least one tournament

Very good post that, apart from the Adams comfort zone thing. he can perform well against the pdc players as he has shown.

The general spectator just watches darts they only have a mild interest in either bdo or pdc. Whitlock, i love watching him play very good player, yep he could have had Taylor and would have had ANY other player apart from Taylor that night.

On the fact that Anderson knocked out Wade, Wade knocked himself out by hitting the nine darter really, not saying that Anderson wouldn't have beat him anyway but Wade got over excited and could not concentrate in his mind on anything else, happens.

Advertisement