Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cryonics for immortality

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've discussed this quite a bit and if I have the money, it's the option I'll be going for.

The advances in medicine in technology in even the last 60 years has left me so curious to find out what we humans will be capable of in a few hundred years. Hopefully Christianity and its retarded interence in things such as stem cell research disappears in that time though, as unfortunately that overgrown, delusional cult is holding back the true potential of science in some important parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

fowley wrote: »
    to be honest, thats your opinion. im a scientist i dont believe strictly in god. but to say science is the opposite of god is a false statement and unjustified. they dont go hand in hand. im exploring physics, if someone says "god made the universe" i cant disprove it, a downside of the big bang theory im afraid.

perhaps you heard the quote "god doesnt play dice" so a scientist can believe in god

dont worry, no offence taken on my part. i wont get into it, but if you want to start a new thread :)

I said I couldn't understand it, not that all scientists don't believe in god, some do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

starchild wrote: »
    You already are immortal, all of us are just energy , your physical body will die but your essence cant, you will always be

To atheists, the essence/the mind, is a product of the physical body.

Rb wrote: »
    I've discussed this quite a bit and if I have the money, it's the option I'll be going for.

The advances in medicine in technology in even the last 60 years has left me so curious to find out what we humans will be capable of in a few hundred years. Hopefully Christianity and its retarded interence in things such as stem cell research disappears in that time though, as unfortunately that overgrown, delusional cult is holding back the true potential of science in some important parts of the world.

Eurocentric :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fowley

The scientist who you've quoted was an atheist, not a theist.

ok so it was a bad quote, my point was to refute the original arguement that a scientist cant (by default) believe in god. i dont consider einstein to be a strong atheist. he also said this "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." from wiki.

i think comparing science and god is comparing apples and oranges.

• Advertisement

fowley wrote: »
    ok so it was a bad quote, my point was to refute the original arguement that a scientist cant (by default) believe in god. i dont consider einstein to be a strong atheist. he also said this "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." from wiki.

i think comparing science and god is comparing apples and oranges.

Einstein was a pantheist: when he was talking about God in that quote, he was talking about him in a pantheistic way. Some more quotes:

"I have never talked to a Jesuit prest in my life. I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist."

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

There are many, many more quotes saying this, too.

Anyway, this is off-topic.

Why do Einstein's religious beliefs, or lack thereof, matter to any of you?

Húrin wrote: »
    Why do Einstein's religious beliefs, or lack thereof, matter to any of you?

They don't, particularly. Somebody quoted him saying he was religious, so I corrected them.

Advertisement