Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Plans Drawn Up and Submitted

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of building a New House in a Green Field Site in the west of Ireland.

Anyone know what the going rate is in the west to get the Plans Drawn up and Submitted for Planning Permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

adne wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking of building a New House in a Green Field Site in the west of Ireland.

Anyone know what the going rate is in the west to get the Plans Drawn up and Submitted for Planning Permission?

It depends where you are, what kind of house you want and how difficult the area you want to build in is to get planning in and most of all who you ask for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ask locally for a few recommendations and look for a few quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

You could literally pick a figure, anywhere from €500 (Nixer) to €20K literally anything goes. Different offices take different approaches and you are not necessarily getting the best service by paying more.

The office I work in (and I'm not giving out the name!) charge €4,500 to planning outcome, thats inclusive of all FI's, clarifications and as many changes as the client wants, all outside consultants fees are extra. The larger fees mean that we can spend longer on the design and pay more attention to detail.

My OH works in an office where they charge €1,500 but you get a generic house with a couple of changes but your application is lodged quicker. Where I may have 2 projects to work on any given week she would have 15 - 20.

I also know of offices that have charged 15K to planning stage and when the FI required a change in roof pitch charged an extra €2500 for their effort.

Shop around, find a designer whos work you like and get some referrances. If you just want your house drawn up then a draftsman could do it as a nixer, if you go down this route it can cause problems if building regs arent complied with etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Good advice above. Its difficult to answer the question as it would depend on a number of varying factors.
    Contact local Archectural Technicians or Architects. As above get at least 3 quotes, try to meet your choices and get recommendations from family and friends.

Have a look around your area, as there might be a house you like the design of. If there is then find out who designed it.

There is a big difference in workload between "drawing up plans" and designing a home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Adne
    I am in the north west what town are you close to and I will PM you a few names.Or try golden pages.
    Heatherview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Recently cost us €4860 (€4k+VAT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaneycakes

What county are you applying in?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

Hi All, just looking for some advice. So the craic is we are looking to build in Wexford, I own the site and it's in my name. I know the cost of building has gone through the roof at the moment but we have out grown the house we are currently in and can get a good price for current house. Also we are eager to move home and be close to family.

I guess my 1st step is to engage with an architect in Wexford but do architects offer a package of doing up drawings and costs? I want to be sure I can afford to build and we have an idea of what we want but I know this might not be affordable. I'm sure we might have to change our plans a few times.

Simple answer to your question is yes.

More often than not the architect / designer will employ a QS but you can have your own design / construction drawings done and then engage your own QS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

Any idea of ball park figure for meeting an architect and getting drawings and cost of build priced? I know a lot offer packages that include drawings and planning etc... but this is more of an investigation piece to see if we can afford to build.

I will ring a few on Monday for prices.

I wont comment on the fees involved as there are so so many variables. You can approach any architect / designer and state your budget and ask what you can get for it.

Advertisement