Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Wage; Are you better off on the dole?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dole is up at over 200 these days AFAIK.

I think he means average. Not everyone gets the full benifit. Some are back working, some are means tested (Living with parents etc). So not everybody gets the full amount. Dole is up to 207 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Jobseeker's Benefit is €204.30, was €197 last year I think. Jobeseeker's Allowance is means tested so can vary, but seems to be around €200 for anyone I know on it (also college graduates genuinely looking for jobs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thesimpsonsfan

I DONT THINK SO

Since the economy is getting ****IN WORSE every 19 and 20 year old in this country are opting for unemployment benefit, if you live near the city centre in dublin these type of people would go in to the dole office once a week and spend it all in the arcades and buy cheap drugs such as hash, they dont get out of bed till about 12 or 1 o clock in the day which obviously means they are NOT BOTHERED TO WORK because all the lovely freebies they get on top of the dole such as rent allowance.

And besides these are all idle people who will NOT STRUGGLE FOR LOW WAGES
    because the dole is now a comfortable hammock with additional freebies, they dont give a **** if they become UNEMPLOYABLE as long as they get your HARD EARNED TAXES into their pockets and above all else they dont get out of bed for the rest of the week except on a tuesday or wednesday morning to collect it and when they do they are straight to the arcade or to the pub laughing at you for working minimum wage and paying taxes to keep these idle scroungers in the same position as they are NOW

But not everyone on the dole is a SCROUNGER there are some people who still wont work minimum wage jobs but that dosent mean they wont work at all by staying on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

I'm on €8.76 an hour, I think it's close to minimum wage but in 6 months time I'll get a raise and I got a bonus at Christmas, and I'm working in the industry I have my degree in, so it's worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

cooperguy wrote: »
    No. Dole for a single person = €207. Minimum wage for full week = €337.

But by all means if somebody is too lazy to work a job, quit. There is plenty of people unemployed at the moment who would appreciate a job.

but if you are unemployed you will get rent allowance which is about 100 euro's a week (obviously only applicable if renting). they are also other things like the difference between gp visit card & full medical card (90 euro a month for medication can make a difference for a family), they are also things like the winter fuel allowance, or back to school allowance for children. the christmas bonus also for people on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I DONT THINK SO

Since the economy is getting ****IN WORSE every 19 and 20 year old in this country are opting for unemployment benefit, if you live near the city centre in dublin these type of people would go in to the dole office once a week and spend it all in the arcades and buy cheap drugs such as hash, they dont get out of bed till about 12 or 1 o clock in the day which obviously means they are NOT BOTHERED TO WORK because all the lovely freebies they get on top of the dole such as rent allowance.

And besides these are all idle people who will NOT STRUGGLE FOR LOW WAGES
    because the dole is now a comfortable hammock with additional freebies, they dont give a **** if they become UNEMPLOYABLE as long as they get your HARD EARNED TAXES into their pockets and above all else they dont get out of bed for the rest of the week except on a tuesday or wednesday morning to collect it and when they do they are straight to the arcade or to the pub laughing at you for working minimum wage and paying taxes to keep these idle scroungers in the same position as they are NOW

But not everyone on the dole is a SCROUNGER there are some people who still wont work minimum wage jobs but that dosent mean they wont work at all by staying on the dole

Excuse me I'm 20 and I work for €8.72 an hour. Most people my age are employed and in college. if you took the time to research, you'll find the majority of people on the dole are not bewteen 18 - 24.

Then go on the dole, you will get freebies

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Excuse me I'm 20 and I work for €8.72 an hour. Most people my age are employed and in college. if you took the time to research, you'll find the majority of people on the dole are not bewteen 18 - 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Claim Dole and work in the black economy, seems pretty profitable to me...

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    What u reckon folks? For a single person on Minumum wage? With the rising costs of fuel, food etc, is it better to be on the dole receiving benefits?

Im not on or anywhere near minimum wage thank fcuk but you have to wonder why some people bother when they can just get freebies from the State.

Where is the incentive for them?
    I am much better off on the dole for a number of reasons and i DEFINITELY have NO intention of looking for work either due to no interest of minimum wages, long hours
    and a boss that HATES you a lot, you SIMPLY CANT get by on low wages especially these days because everyone knows the story: everything is gone UP except wages.
    On the plus side you dont have to get out of bed in the morning either for all this CRAP
    because people on the dole for the long term know quite well about long hours and little pay which obviously tells you that they are NOT up for it they would rather stay where they are and sit back watch this economy simply COLLAPSE

Also the unemployment number is expected to hit 500,000 by the end of the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I am much better off on the dole for a number of reasons and i DEFINITELY have NO intention of looking for work either due to no interest of minimum wages, long hours
    and a boss that HATES you a lot, you SIMPLY CANT get by on low wages especially these days because everyone knows the story: everything is gone UP except wages.
    On the plus side you dont have to get out of bed in the morning either for all this CRAP
    because people on the dole for the long term know quite well about long hours and little pay which obviously tells you that they are NOT up for it they would rather stay where they are and sit back watch this economy simply COLLAPSE

Also the unemployment number is expected to hit 500,000 by the end of the year

:rolleyes:

the_syco wrote: »
    The dole is good for one thing only: it allows you to go on a FAS course, and get paid for it! :cool:

In your dreams. Any company that I ever worked in never gave bonuses.
    FAS courses are rundown and are a waste of time and money and you NEVER get a job out of it anyway.

The Dole is covering so much these days you are that much better off on the dole
    than working ALTOGETHER

Minimum wage jobs never increased my self worth.
    But then that entire summer I spent drunk on the dole didnt increase my self worth either.
    But the summer was a lot more fun than the minimum wage job.
    I guess it all depends on how much you like drinking and how much you hate work.
    Well heres my best advice: Give up your crappy time wasting low paid job and go on the dole because you are MUCH better off than working even if you have good working skills it dosent matter

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well heres my best advice: Give up your crappy time wasting low paid job and go on the dole because you are MUCH better off than working even if you have good working skills it dosent matter

Please mail that to:
    Dr. Bollocko,
    CO Altavista,
    10 years ago.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

If I had to, I would work for less than id get on the dole, there is a dignity to working and providing for yourself rather than scrounging off others if I had the choice.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

the dole should be only allowed as a short term solution

say, if someones on it more then 6 months, make them clean graffiti, cut public grass, jobs like that. make them earn their dole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Well heres my best advice: Give up your crappy time wasting low paid job and go on the dole because you are MUCH better off

I am much better off on the dole for a number of reasons and i DEFINITELY have NO intention of looking for work

FAS courses are rundown and are a waste of time and money and you NEVER get a job out of it anyway

Just a guess, but do you happen to live at home with your mammy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

say, if someones on it more then 6 months, make them clean graffiti, cut public grass, jobs like that. make them earn their dole

By next christmas there will be 500,000+ people on the dole. There wouldnt be a spot of graffiti or long grass in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No. If I cannot find a job, I will certainly be banging down the door of the social welfare office waiting for my money, I paid plenty of taxes to this government...

But I'm working, and whilst I have a job I will continue to pay my own way. If I lose it, I'll be looking everywhere for a new one. I used to earn €8.72, now I earn the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

That was all well and good a year ago, but jobs are so so hard to find now. Some of my mates are dying for a job and can't get anything. People with 2:1 degrees from Trinity who can't even menial jobs. It's no longer a case of 'anyone can get a job if they put a bit of effort in.' I see your point about doing something useful, but it's not as if a lot of the people on the dole WANT to be on it.

I'm looking for a job now and not having much luck. And I mean really, really trying. Sending 50 Cvs a day, targeted cover letters, follow up calls, visiting in person. I'm willing to do almost anything. If I have to go on the dole it most certainly won't be willingly.

• Advertisement

Duiske wrote: »
    Just a guess, but do you happen to live at home with your mammy ?
    Good question NO i have my own flat

Do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I offered to work for free to get experience in my degree area. No luck at all, f*ck it. I only work two days a week so I can claim for some amount of money.

I used to feel bad about claiming and wouldn't do it because I don't need the money being stuck at home but I'm fed up with everything now so I'll try to get as much as I'm entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Lets do the maths like bosses do.......
    Dole = €137.
    min wage job = €337
    gain = €130

Now take away transport costs of at least €5 per day ( Bus fare return)
    gain €95

now take away lunches say another €5 per day

gain = €60.

So it would take 2 hours to earn the price the ruling classes charge for a cup of coffee in this lovely country of ours or 3 hours for a pint!
    Now lets take the cost of "participating" in these lovely charity events they love to "organise" such as no uniform days or jeans in the office collections that the rich overlords love to organise. Lets say €5 per month.
    gain = €57.75.
    Now you have to get a uniform or "career wear" for your job, suits and ties for the "boys" and two piece business wear in navy or black for the ladies lets say €300 per annum = €6 per week, not to mention dry cleaning etc if you are in front of house and have to be well presented...........
    gain €51.75
    Lets be cruel and say the person lives at home with indulgent parents rent-free so does not qualify for medical card, they have asthma which my wife knows requires at least 4 doctors visits a year at €50 per visit = €200 or €4 per wk
    gain €47.75.
    Now add in the pharmacy bill, say another €4 per week
    gain €43.75.

As you can see I haven't included PRSI, PAYE or other levies in my calculations or the possibilty of owning a car if the person is offered shift work or work in an area not covered by public transport ( most of rural Ireland)
    If anybody knows the stoppages ( taxes ) on the minimum wage of €337.00
    please let me know.
    For the sake of balance, I'd like to know if there is any Family Income Supplement payable to this person, lets say they are single, living at home with their parents so no allowances apply for rent etc in any means tests for various benefits they might apply for.
    If my math is right the person in a min wage job is earning €1 to €1.50 per hour.

WOW.

What sole trader would knowingly operate at that rate???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What about the people who are already employed to do those jobs? Turf them out and replace them with cheaper labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You are definitely better off in a minmum wage job.

You'll come out with close to €300 a week after tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

You are definitely better off in a minmum wage job.

You'll come out with close to €300 a week after tax.

but you get 200 a week on the dole for doing nothing

why work 40 hours a week plus travel time for only 100 euro ?

you are working all week for 100 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Caoimhín wrote: »
    If I had to, I would work for less than id get on the dole, there is a dignity to working and providing for yourself rather than scrounging off others if I had the choice.

Yes Caoimhin, everyone on the dole is there because they want to be, it has nothing to do with the fact that there are feck all jobs, that the little jobs there are, are taken up by people that are over educated and over skilled for it. If I had the choice I would be a millionaire...
    green123 wrote: »
    but you get 200 a week on the dole for doing nothing

why work 40 hours a week plus travel time for only 100 euro ?

you are working all week for 100 euro

Yea, your right, but if you want to give up 100 euro so quickly, give it to me, i'd gladly take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

but you are not just giving up 100 euro for nothing.
    you are getting up to 50 hours free time in return
    alot of people would gladly swap 100 euro for 50 hours free time to spend with friends/family/kids or whatever else they want to do in their spare time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

As a student, I think it sucks that so many people who aren't entitled to state benefits receive them. Students are actually ridiculously under-supported by the state and we are realistically the future of the econony (at lease its screwed already so my generation of graduates cant be blamed)!!

Before people jump on me and say people on the dole actually want to work, yes I appreciate that - but there are people wrongly claiming benefits.

Minimum wage jobs suck - where's the incentive to work really hard and earn very llittle... why not go on dole like those lazy folk who claim all sorts and work on the side?!

While i agree with alot of that, I do think that if you drop out of college you should be made pay back a percentage of the money it cost to put you through to that point. Might make edjits think twice before going into a course they have no intention of completing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

doolox wrote: »

Now take away transport costs of at least €5 per day ( Bus fare return)
    gain €95

now take away lunches say another €5 per day

gain = €60.

How about cycling and maybe bringing a packed lunch?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement