Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small cheap and cheerfull bass amp for college.

• 22-01-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Hey lads and lasseens of the instruments forum, need some advice from you if you can spare it. Need to get me some form of bass ampage for college as im sick to death of not playing plugged in(bringing up the rig isnt really an option here).

So im basicly looking for somthing small, cheap and cheerfull to keep me going during the week. Im living on campus in college(pretty well soundproofed though) so it doesnt need to be insanely loud. Just looking for somthing that sounds half decent.

I play a lot of different styles of music, from metal to pop(doing the whole covers band thing at the moment) to grove orientated stuff like jamiroquai so its gotta not crack up at downtunings and it should be able to handle a low b string.

So, any tips? Im looking for the bass's answer to the microcube(and yes i know they make microcube bass amps, but there not exactly amazing from what ive heard).

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

How about a bass pod and headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Im really not a fan of headphones, plus i like to be able to jam along to the cd player or whatever so thats really not an option for me, was doing this sort of thing last year using a toneport through a set of speakers. Its not an ideal to say the least.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Patricide wrote: »
    Im really not a fan of headphones, plus i like to be able to jam along to the cd player or whatever so thats really not an option for me, was doing this sort of thing last year using a toneport through a set of speakers. Its not an ideal to say the least.

The likes of the pocket pod have a line in, for plugging in a cd player to jam along to...just thought i'd say that, although it seems you want a "real!" amp;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

pod + computer speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Patricide wrote: »

I would suggest a small Roland bass cube or else a Tascam MP-BT1. With the Tascam its an Mp3 player that you can plug your bass into and play along with the songs. I have one and it's invaluable, great for playing late at night.

Along with this you have the ability to slow down and speed up songs without changing the pitch. Also you can change the key of songs, so say for example the song you want to play along with is half a step down and your bass is tuned to standard tuning. You can tune the song up half a step to match your bass! :cool:

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    pod + computer speakers.
    Like i said did that before the computer speakers always tended to break up whenever i hit a low note. It might be fine to do that with guitar but in my experiance it dont work too well with bass.

Might have a look into that tascam but im really looking for a "real amp" as dord suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Here ya go! http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75545

Bass version of the Microcube.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I suck at basses,. but ehh...

How about this?
    My mate uses a Warwick, although it is a much bigger, higher quality one, and he gets a lovely tone from it.
    Bass heads, what do you lot reckon about this yoke?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/69477

CianRyan wrote: »
    I suck at basses,. but ehh...

How about this?
    My mate uses a Warwick, although it is a much bigger, higher quality one, and he gets a lovely tone from it.
    Bass heads, what do you lot reckon about this yoke?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/69477
    I was having a look at them alright, cant seem to find any soundclips or havent heard anything else about them. Anyone on here have any experiance, they wouldnt exactly be the easist things to try out...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Where are you located?
    Instrumental stock Warwick amps, not sure about that exact one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gotBass

Surely Behringer would have something for you,
    headphone out, CD/mixer input and low wattage.
    like this
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BT108.aspx

Advertisement