Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

christo82 wrote: »
    What does the TNT logo on this TV mean? I know TNT is French TV but it doesn't mean it has a built in mpeg4 tuner(according to the sony website it only has mpeg2)?

The TNT logo on a TV means it is compatible with the free-to-air SD channels on the French DTT service TNT (Télévision Numérique Terrestre). According to the French Sony website the tv is only MPEG2.
    If the logo is TNT-HD the TV is MPEG-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Can anyone confirm that the BRAVIA KDL-32V4500 works with Irish DTT? Selling for €620+delivery on pixmania. Good price? Good TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

christo82 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that the BRAVIA KDL-32V4500 works with Irish DTT? Selling for €620+delivery on pixmania. Good price? Good TV?

http://www.sony.fr/product/t32-v-series/kdl-32v4500#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

On Sony French site it says "Oui" for MPEG4! Very good price for a top telly imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Whats the story with Tv's up north? is there a definitive list as to which Tv's have a mpeg4 decoder?

I am thinking of heading to belfast soon, but i dont wantto end up with a mpeg2 TV.

i'm thinking of a 46", and will probably go to richer sounds.

any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

The Cush wrote: »
    Also Sony KDL-26V4500 (I have one) €739.95/€604.00

The description on that page reads
    26" BRAVIA HD Ready V4500 LCD TV features the draw the LINE design concept and a sleek finish, an integrated MPEG-2 digital terrestrial tuner and a Picture Frame mode to turn your TV into a large screen-digital picture frame.
    Are you sure about the type of tuner you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Are you sure about the type of tuner you have?

See page 33 of the manual for the specs which includes MPEG-4.
    Also the Sony France website indicates this model has an MPEG-4 tuner - Tuner TV Haute Définition (MPEG 4) - H.264.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Looking for a TV/Monitor for use as a bedroom TV + XBOX monitor but want both UHF & VHF tuner.

This one says Analogue and Digital Tuner, does anyone know if that means UHF & VHF?

Samsung Link:

Komplett LINK:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Got my Panasonic TX-32LZD81 yesterday and can confirm all works perfectly. DVB from 3 Rock is perfect, Freesat is Super & HD is very, very good.

All in all a super TV & very easy to set up.

Happy New Year to all,

Aepos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dowlingd

did anyone get an LG 42LG700, it is going for a good price of £549 in currys uk, thinking of getting but I couldn't confirm if it would work with RTE DVB-T2 Mpeg4 so I was wondering if anyone got this model and if they had any luck receiving RTE DVB

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

LG 42LG7000?

I was looking at that model and I don't think it does MPEG 4, can't see it anywhere in the specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Judging by the pixmania specs, it aint mpeg4, mpeg2 only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dowlingd

thanks for your replies, such a shame seemed like a good deal but I will aim to future proof whatever I end up getting. happy new year :) thanks

dowlingd wrote: »
    thanks for your replies, such a shame seemed like a good deal but I will aim to future proof whatever I end up getting. happy new year :) thanks

Its still very well specced at 549£ though.; You could just get a mpeg4 stb when they come ye know. There are even unofficial mpeg4 dtt/freesat boxes available now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Can confirm that the Sony KDL-W4000 works fine with the Digital Broadcasts. Living in Douglas Cork.

SkySter wrote: »
    Can confirm that the Sony KDL-W4000 works fine with the Digital Broadcasts. Living in Douglas Cork.

Yes W4000 and V/W4500 are Irish DTT compatible but V4000 is not

• Advertisement

SkySter wrote: »

Good to know. Gettin that tv next week!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is a cracking tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

slegs wrote: »
    Yes W4000 and V/W4500 are Irish DTT compatible but V4000 is not
    Yes, but surely depending where you buy them from.

boopolo wrote: »

Dont think that matters. Afaik, sony tvs are the same across Europe so if you buy a w4000 in the UK, it should still have an mpeg4 tuner despite the uk not using mpeg4

boopolo wrote: »

Sony make a standard European spec for their major models (V,W,X,Z etc). When selling the V4500 for example in Ireland and UK they say it is MPEG2 compliant and don't highlight that it is also MPEG4 but when selling the same unit in France they make a big play of the MPEG4 HD compatibility of the DVB-T tuner.

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Dont think that matters. Afaik, sony tvs are the same across Europe so if you buy a w4000 in the UK, it should still have an mpeg4 tuner despite the uk not using mpeg4

Yes I bought my W4000 in the UK and can confirm MPEG4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 inky1

Do all LG HD tvs not have a mpeg4 tuner?

does any one know if the LG 22LS4d has mpeg 4 compatability please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

inky1 wrote: »
    Do all LG HD tvs not have a mpeg4 tuner?

does any one know if the LG 22LS4d has mpeg 4 compatability please

I can't find the manual on LG website, but Richer Sounds says its Freeview Compatible, which is MPEG2 format...it DOES NOT say if it is Freesat HD compatible which would be the MPEG4 format so its not to say it isn't either but it is more likely that it isn't MPEG4 capable.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Zaphod wrote: »

Will this TV also pick-up DTT (Both Ireland and the UK) or is it just Freesat? It doens't seem to be clear from the specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Panasonic......

Yes they have a dvb-t tuner as well as a freesat tuner. And most importantly an MPEG4 chip.

They are STG £650 from Richer Sounds in Belfast.

STB wrote: »
    The Panasonic......

Yes they have a dvb-t tuner as well as a freesat tuner. And most importantly an MPEG4 chip.

Thank you!!!... Certainly looks like one of the best TV's on the marker.

Does anybody know how this TV(...or any other DVB-T MPEG4 TV) handles receiving both UK Freeview and Irish DTT transmissions (If you live in a border County)? Do both the UK and Irish channels appear in the same EPG? Can you specify the order to have the Irish channels at the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Hi guys, new to this I was wondering has anyone got an LG 42LF75 LCD TV ? I have mine set up and it receives radio on digital, however while it picks up the four Irish TV channels I have no picture or sound. EPG is available plus now and next. On the RTE channels it keeps saying loading text, while on the other two it just says HD service. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Mafc,

That LCD will not pick up Irish DTT as it is a freeview product who's digital tuner (mpeg2) is only suited to the British market. As such it shouldnt be sold as something that receives digital in Ireland(Mpeg4). Nothing will fix it for you. If you wish to receive free to air digital now or i the future you will have to buy more hardware (ie a set top box). More money I know. If thats important then you should bring it back.

Panasonic Range

On the Panasonic range here is a list of the LCD models that have both a DVB-T tuner that will work with Irish DTT and a Freesat Tuner (HD Tuners). Prices may be cheaper elsewhere. There is also a plasma range that have the same technology caled the PZ81 which have been discussed many times on this site and probably earlier in this thread..

TX-32LZD81-1.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=32" Panasonic TX-32LZD81 LCD Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    £645.95

TH37PZ81.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=37" Panasonic TX-37LZD81 LCD Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    (£645 from Richer Sounds) £766.95

TH-42PZ81.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=42" Panasonic TH-42PZ81B Plasma Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    £988.95

TH-46PZ81.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=46" Panasonic TH-46PZ81B Plasma Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    £1,291.95

TH-50PZ81.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=50" Panasonic TH-50PZ81B Plasma Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    £1,342.95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you sure of the prices stb, got quoted 729 for 32" and 849 for 37" in December off richersounds, went for 32" and great tv

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    you sure of the prices stb, got quoted 729 for 32" and 849 for 37" in December off richersounds, went for 32" and great tv

Yes. It was £645 for the 37" last friday. You have to order them from Belfast. Takes about a week. The 37" is the only one I have checked out and thats on special with Richer Sounds and was indicated eralier in this thread by Zaphod. They are now back up to £679 for the 37". http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-TX37LZD81

The rest of the prices are from flattelly.co.uk

damn it anyways!!! Ah well, good price at the time all the same!

After buying a Philips 37-PFL-5603D and found out it could not get DTT here in Ireland (the south part), I returned it and got my money back. SO now I am in a position to be a bit more wiser about what to buy however, I need a bit of help...

It appears the Panasonic TX-37LZD81 is short on stock and its the one I 'think' I should be buying. When stock becomes available I hope to be in a good position in terms of knowing what I really want so here it goes.

I have cable TV at the moment...in the short future I will have a satellite dish for freesat...I also have the opportunity to erect a terrestrial aerial on my roof or use a loft aerial to get DTT where I live. If I want to get all my channels tuned-in on the one TV which capabilities should I be looking for? If I buy the panasonic as noted above will that give me both satellite and terrestrial MPEG4 all on the one TV without a STB?

****edited

Cable note taken out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Plugging your cable supply directly into the TV will not give you the Digital Channels from Cable. To view those, you need the STB from your cable supplier (yes I know about "The Box", but it is not legit.)

mj

thanks for the quick response mjsmyth...

I won't be doing that anyway....Anyone else, please don't discuss 'the box' here on this thread, I want good information for buying a new TV...I'm not interested in any other comments.

The model of the TV you wanted ended in H , not D. (and has an MPEG4 dvb-t tuner). Let me guess you bought it in Dixons or Currys or some other "retailer" who couldnt be bothered stocking suitable products for the Irish market.

Yes the Panisonic does all that. Infact it is discussed in this thread. Mod please merge.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420793&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Cheers STB , at least I know where I'm at now.
    I will just have to buy the box when it becomes available.
    Very happy with TV so I'm holding on to it. Thanks again.

STB wrote: »
    The Panasonic......

I rang Richer Sounds in Belfast...they are out of stock of the Panasonic TX-37LZD81 and probably won't get anything in till the end of the month. I also rang Currys (based in Newry) and they tell me there is no stock in NI of this product (Currys price £799).

Anyone know where I can now get one of these at the best price?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

astrofluff wrote: »
    After buying a Philips 37-PFL-5603D and found out it could not get DTT here in Ireland (the south part), I returned it and got my money back. SO now I am in a position to be a bit more wiser about what to buy however, I need a bit of help...

It appears the Panasonic TX-37LZD81 is short on stock and its the one I 'think' I should be buying. When stock becomes available I hope to be in a good position in terms of knowing what I really want so here it goes.

I have cable TV at the moment...in the short future I will have a satellite dish for freesat...I also have the opportunity to erect a terrestrial aerial on my roof or use a loft aerial to get DTT where I live. If I want to get all my channels tuned-in on the one TV which capabilities should I be looking for? If I buy the panasonic as noted above will that give me both satellite and terrestrial MPEG4 all on the one TV without a STB?

****edited

Cable note taken out

I would wait until March when retailers here in Ireland are expected to stock a larger selection of MPEG4 sets as the situation cools down in France where 90% of all tv sets in the major stores, Darty, Carrefour, Galeries La Fayette etc are HDtv 1080 (with that description displayed clearly by law... since 1 December) otherwise being MPEG4 tv sets and suitable for the future Irish DTT service........
    Anyone buying a tv set (described as Mpeg2 -HD ready, full HD, Freeview etc.) at present should shop around for a deal......

• Advertisement

Thanks a bientot...I'm certainly shopping around. I need a new TV anyway as at the moment I have a little 17" widescreen and BTW looks ridiculously funny sitting in a position where I had the 37", so I'm going to make this purchase a very wise one. I don't think I can wait till later on this year either.

Actually, I've got another question and maybe Watty can enlighten us...

If I only have terrestrial analogue and won't be getting DTT till 2012 (officially), and have no cable and no dish, and still need to buy a TV, then would I snooker myself by buying a TV from the UK? I know there are band differences between TVs for UK and Ireland.

For example, Panasonic do a LZD85 (uk) and LZ85L (Irish). The differences I can see from the specs is that the UK can take UHF E21-68, and the Irish UHF E21-68 / VHF.

That fact that the UK spec doesn't have VHF listed and also that the model number is purposely different, then does this mean that if I were to by the UK spec that I couldn't recieve analogue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Was in Watters Electrical in Culloville and they have the TX37LXD81 at £899 but you can usually bargain a good bit with them especially if there are competitive prices. They have the other freesat Panasonics but I dont have prices. They do a freesat install for €150 also. Worth a call as might save a trip to Belfast 048 3086 8296.

UK Speccs generally receive UHF only analog which is fine if you live in a UHF only region such as myself. The z81 pana is a great deal as it apparently includes mpeg4 tuner for terrestrial, handles HD and also a built in freesat box for hd satellite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

If I only have terrestrial analogue and won't be getting DTT till 2012 (officially), and have no cable and no dish, and still need to buy a TV, then would I snooker myself by buying a TV from the UK? I know there are band differences between TVs for UK and Ireland.

That fact that the UK spec doesn't have VHF listed and also that the model number is purposely different, then does this mean that if I were to by the UK spec that I couldn't recieve analogue?
    If you're in North Wicklow, you may well be getting your analogue signal from Kippure which requires you to have a VHF tuner. Alternatively if you are picking up Three Rock, then UHF will get you the domestic channels - and is transmitting DTT:) (as is the Greystones relay).

towbar wrote: »
    Was in Watters Electrical in Culloville and they have the TX37LXD81 at £899 but you can usually bargain a good bit with them especially if there are competitive prices. They have the other freesat Panasonics but I dont have prices. They do a freesat install for €150 also. Worth a call as might save a trip to Belfast 048 3086 8296.

Could you bargain them down to the £679.95 price in Richer Sounds :rolleyes:

Skyhater wrote: »
    Could you bargain them down to the £679.95 price in Richer Sounds :rolleyes:

You could try...

I'll give them a buzz to see how many they have in stock. I trust it's not a "pay here, wait two weeks till we get it in" scenario?!

SHOPPING UPDATE: The only TV they have in Currys here in the South at the moment with DVB-T MPEG4 tuner is the Sony 42W4000. Sorry but it's too big for my milk float. I can't remeber the price but it's outside my price range anyway.

I was hanging around in Mayo over the weekend and went to an Electrical retailer (won't name names), went in, looked at all the TVs - every single TV had all the promo stickers taken off the front of it. No TNT logos or digi tcks or anything...couldn't tell one Philips from the other...so this guy approaches me asking if I needed help. I replied that I couldn't tell which TV did what?! He said 'well, what do you need to know?'. I said, which ones can pick up Irish DTT? He said Irish DTT doesn't exist. I said maybe not in Mayo but it does in some places on a test basis. So I asked, which ones had DVB-T capablities? He said, I don't know and it doesn't matter! I was :confused:. yes, he said, once they start doing DTT all you need is a STB. Very good answer I thought. I then told him I didn't want another STB and then asked which TV they had which would have a DVB-T MPEG4 tuner. He said, well...sorry, we're told we can't discuss digital television...I asked, who said so? He said, a memo went around to all retailers saying that they can't discuss it with customers. oh, the beauty of being in rural ireland where secrets get let go easily. 15mins later he conceded that there is so many TVs for the Irish market out there that don't even have DVB-T let alone DVB-T MPEG4 that they don't want to scupper the potential customers and sales that go with it. So there we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

.......... there is so many TVs for the Irish market out there that don't even have DVB-T let alone DVB-T MPEG4 that they don't want to scupper the potential customers and sales that go with it. So there we go!

That is so ridiculous, its actually believable

Perhaps the retailers are aware that they can sell any auld tat to customers now, and in a few years time, they will all be beck to buy new TV's, or STB's.

I've looked around TV stores lately, and in general i've found that staff dont have a fuppin' clue about DTT or what spec a TV needs to receive it. I ended up doing all my research online.. and buying online.

One Philips store i was in, had predominately 'D' series Tv's on show and no knowledge of Mpeg4
    I believe that Ireland is a dumping ground for Models that arent wanted elsewhere

• Company Representative Posts: 9,469 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

pa990 wrote: »
    That is so ridiculous, its actually believable

Perhaps the retailers are aware that they can sell any auld tat to customers now, and in a few years time, they will all be beck to buy new TV's, or STB's.

I've looked around TV stores lately, and in general i've found that staff dont have a fuppin' clue about DTT or what spec a TV needs to receive it. I ended up doing all my research online.. and buying online.

One Philips store i was in, had predominately 'D' series Tv's on show and no knowledge of Mpeg4
    I believe that Ireland is a dumping ground for Models that arent wanted elsewhere

PA, just a quick reply to your post!

I'm not sure if you are referring to the actual Philips Shop in your post above -however here is the situation from the retailers perspective at the moment.

There is of course a live trial of MPEG4 and our understanding is that this is the system that has been adopted by the dept of Communications for Ireland and as a retailer I would broadly support such a move - however to date, as a retailer we have not had one piece of official correspondance to inform, guide or instruct us as to the official situation - all information that we have learnt is in the public domain - ie the press or forums.

I honestly feel that unlike the situation in the UK when freeview was in planning, trial and roll out where there was an organised publicity campaign we, both retailers and public are being left in the dark - and I cannot understand why.

On your other subject - 'retailers are aware that they can sell old tat to Customers' - the situation is that we honestly do not have H/MPEG4 product to sell - this is because the vast majority of product imported into the country at the moment is not fitted with MPEG4 - unfortunately this is beyond the control of the retailer as we don't make the product - however I can say that personally I chase MPEG4 product EVERY WEEK from our various manufacturers.

Of course to be fair to the manufacturers/distributors (and I in no waay speak for them) as well their issue is that the almost historic link with the UK may now be broken and supply of TV for the Irish market may become more difficult to plan, access and it will without doubt become more expensive.

Sorry to be so long winded and I do appreciate your frustration - however as a fairly active boardie I can tell you that it's even more frustrating when your living depends on it!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

towbar wrote: »

Watters have plenty in stock, and yes they are selling them at £900 or €1000. ust to clarify is the TX-37LZD81. Its a couple of hundred £'s more expensive than Richer Sounds so when Richer Sounds get some in, I'll be getting an email from JohnMc himself ;)

Retailers were written to by their own retail association, CEDA a copy of which is on digitaltelevision.ie (as discussed herein the past). Either way the specification has been out there since February 2008 as was published by the BCI who are reponsible for licensing commercial DTT and who set MPEG4 as the minimum standard. The PSB, RTE also recently confirmed the spec in December 2008. It most definitely isnt MPEG2. Although there is nothing illegal about selling MPEG2 technology, I do personally believe that the consumer needs to be advised of what they are buying (especially in the current economic recession where we will see less and less subscribing to pay TV).

This page provides useful information to retailers of TV equipment and to TV viewers.

Information to Retailers

From autumn 2009, a free-to-air Digital terrestrial TV (DTT) service providing access to the existing national TV channels and some new Irish TV channels will be launched in Ireland. A commercial DTT service will also be made available.

The free to air service will be operated by RTÉ. There are engineering tests taking place initially in the East of the country and these will spread to other areas in preparation for service launch. These engineering tests carrying RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 are operating using the MPEG4 specifications. More details are available from RTÉ Networks Ltd. The Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) is responsible for contracting commercial DTT service providers. The BCI has indicated that ‘Boxer DTT Ltd’ will operate the commercial DTT service. Updated information on RTÉ's plans for DTT services and the plans for commercial DTT will be made available from digitaltelevision.ie and from http://www.rte.ie/, http://www.rtenl.ie/ and http://www.bci.ie/.

A minimum specification for DTT receivers for the Irish Market has been finalised. This specification is available from the RTÉ website – http://www.rtenl.ie/

Receivers on the Irish market will use the MPEG 4 compression standard which is being used in Estonia, Denmark, France, Hungary, Lithuania, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, New Zealand and South Africa. More details are available from http://www.dvb.org/. This is different to the MPEG 2 compression standard used in the UK. Retailers should note that televisions with MPEG 2 tuners only, will not pick up the Irish DTT service when it develops.

The Consumer Electrical Distributors Association, CEDA, has issued the following information notes 1 and 2 to retailers.

Retailers are requested to ensure that iDTV’s on sale in Ireland will be compatible with the Irish DTT network, when it launches. In the meantime, it is vital that retailers ensure that customers are given accurate information about televisions currently for sale.Retailers are also urged to ensure that a sufficient range of receivers (including set top boxes, integrated digital televisions and personal video recorders) specified for use on the Irish DTT network are available to consumers for the launch of DTT services in Ireland.

The French government in their legisalation have been more forceful in ensuring the right products are on the market.

I can well imagine the difficulty in sourcing products for Ireland from UK stock given that the specification sheets on most UK sites are actually wrong or neglect to mention that the TV also has an MPEG4 HD TV tuner. That most of the manufacturers IE websites simply just transpose the UK site must also confuse retailers (imagine what effect that has on joe public!). The convenience of using UK stock as you pointed out is no longer a runner, unfortunately.

I have no doubt that you wish to sell the right products and you may wish to look into this list below (ALL with Mpeg4 tuners as far as I have gathered). Some of these are freely available on the UK market by the by, so they probably dont even require sourcing from France!

LG

LG 42PG2500, LG 50PG2500, LG 42PG3500, LG 50PG3500,
    LG 32LG3500, LG 37LG3500, LG 42LG3500 LG 50PG4500
    LG 32LG5500, LG 37LG5500, LG 47LG5500, LG 52LG5500
    LG 42LG6500, LG 50LG6500 LG 32LG7500, LG 37LG7500,
    LG 42LG7500, LG 47LG7500, LG 52LG7500

Panasonic

TX-32LXD86FV, TX-37LXD86FV
    TH-42PZ81E, TH-46PZ81E, TH-50PZ81E
    TH-42PZ83E, TH-46PZ83E
    TH-42PZ86FV, TH-46PZ86FV
    TH-42PZ800E, TH-46PZ800E, TH-50PZ800E
    TH-58PZ800E, TH-65PZ800E
    TH-37PX81FV, TH-42PX81FV
    TH-42PZH8FV

Philips
    37PFL5603H, 42PFL5603H, 47PFL5603H, 52PFL5603H
    52PFL7203H
    32PFL7403H, 37PFL7403H, 42PFL7403H, 47PFL7403H, 52PFL7403H
    37PFL7603H, 42PFL7603H, 47PFL7603H, 52PFL7603H
    37PFL9603H, 42PFL9603H, 47PFL9603H
    42PFL9703H, 42PFL9703H, 47PFL9703H, 52PFL9703H
    37PFL9803H, 42PFL9803H, 47PFL9803H
    37PFL9903H, 42PFL9903H, 47PFL9903H

Samsung
    PS42A426, PS50A426, PS42A466, PS50A466/PS42A467,
    PS50A467, PS50A566/PS50A567, PS50A756, PS63A756,

LE26A465, LE32A465, LE37A465, LE40A465
    LE26A466, LE32A466, LE37A466, LE40A466
    LE32A566, LE37A566, LE40A566, LE46A566,
    LE52A566, LE32A577, LE37A577, LE40A577,
    LE46A577, LE52A577, LE32A568, LE37A568,
    LE40A568, LE46A568, LE52A568, LE32A569,
    LE37A569, LE40A569, LE46A569, LE52A569
    LE37A626, LE40A626, LE32A676, LE37A676,
    LE40A676, LE46A676, LE52A676, LE37A696,
    LE40A696, LE46A696, LE32A756, LE40A756,
    LE46A756, LE52A756, LE40A796, LE46A796
    LE40A856, LE46A856, LE52A856, LE40A859,
    LE46A859, LE52A859, LE46A956, LE55A956

Pioneer

PDP-LX5090H, PDP-LX6090H
    KRP-500A, KRP-600A

Sharp

LC-46HD1E, LC-52HD1E
    LC-32DH65E, LC-37DH65E, LC-46DH65E, LC-52DH65E
    LC-32DH66E, LC-37DH66E, LC-46DH66E, LC-52DH66E
    LC-52XS1E

Sony

KDL-26E4000, KDL-26E4020, KDL-26E4050/KDL-26V4500,
    KDL-32V4500, KDL-37V4500 KDL-32E4000, KDL-32E4020,
    KDL-32E4030, KDL-32E4050 KDL-40E4000, KDL-40E4020,
    KDL-40E4030, KDL-40E4050 KDL-40W3000, KDL-46W3000,
    KDL-52W3000 KDL-32W4000, KDL-40W4000, KDL-46W4000,
    KDL-52W4000 KDL-40W4500, KDL-46W4500, KDL-52W4500
    KDL-40X3000, KDL-46X3000 KDL-40X3500, KDL-46X3500,
    KDL-52X3500, KDL-70X3500 KDL-40X4500, KDL-46X4500,
    KDL-55X4500 KDL-40Z4500, KDL-46Z4500, KDL-52Z4500
    KDL-40EX1, KDL-46EX1, KDL-52EX1
    KDL-40ZX1

Toshiba

32CV515DG, 37CV515DG, 42CV515DG
    32XV515DG, 37XV515DG, 42XV515DG
    32AV563DG, 37AV563DG 32AV565DG,
    37AV565DG 32XV565DG, 37XV565DG,
    42XV565DG, 46XV565DG, 52XV565DG
    32XV566DG, 37XV566DG, 42XV566DG
    40ZV575DG, 46ZV575DG

Hi John,

Glad to see a retailer actually being proactive! Retailers were written to by their own retail association, CEDA a copy of which is on digitaltelevision.ie (as discussed herein the past). Either way the specification has been out there since February 2008 as was published by the BCI who are reponsible for licensing commercial DTT and who set MPEG4 as the minimum standard. The PSB, RTE also recently confirmed the spec in December 2008. It most definitely isnt MPEG2. Although there is nothing illegal about selling MPEG2 technology, I do personally believe that the consumer needs to be advised of what they are buying (especially in the current economic recession where we will see less and less subscribing to pay TV).

This page provides useful information to retailers of TV equipment and to TV viewers.

Information to Retailers

From autumn 2009, a free-to-air Digital terrestrial TV (DTT) service providing access to the existing national TV channels and some new Irish TV channels will be launched in Ireland. A commercial DTT service will also be made available.

The free to air service will be operated by RTÉ. There are engineering tests taking place initially in the East of the country and these will spread to other areas in preparation for service launch. These engineering tests carrying RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 are operating using the MPEG4 specifications. More details are available from RTÉ Networks Ltd. The Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) is responsible for contracting commercial DTT service providers. The BCI has indicated that ‘Boxer DTT Ltd’ will operate the commercial DTT service. Updated information on RTÉ's plans for DTT services and the plans for commercial DTT will be made available from digitaltelevision.ie and from http://www.rte.ie/, http://www.rtenl.ie/ and http://www.bci.ie/.

A minimum specification for DTT receivers for the Irish Market has been finalised. This specification is available from the RTÉ website – http://www.rtenl.ie/

Receivers on the Irish market will use the MPEG 4 compression standard which is being used in Estonia, Denmark, France, Hungary, Lithuania, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, New Zealand and South Africa. More details are available from http://www.dvb.org/. This is different to the MPEG 2 compression standard used in the UK. Retailers should note that televisions with MPEG 2 tuners only, will not pick up the Irish DTT service when it develops.

The Consumer Electrical Distributors Association, CEDA, has issued the following information notes 1 and 2 to retailers.

Retailers are requested to ensure that iDTV’s on sale in Ireland will be compatible with the Irish DTT network, when it launches. In the meantime, it is vital that retailers ensure that customers are given accurate information about televisions currently for sale.Retailers are also urged to ensure that a sufficient range of receivers (including set top boxes, integrated digital televisions and personal video recorders) specified for use on the Irish DTT network are available to consumers for the launch of DTT services in Ireland.

The French government in their legisalation have been more forceful in ensuring the right products are on the market.

I can well imagine the difficulty in sourcing products for Ireland from UK stock given that the specification sheets on most UK sites are actually wrong or neglect to mention that the TV also has an MPEG4 HD TV tuner. That most of the manufacturers IE websites simply just transpose the UK site must also confuse retailers (imagine what effect that has on joe public!). The convenience of using UK stock as you pointed out is no longer a runner, unfortunately.

I have no doubt that you wish to sell the right products and you may wish to look into this list below (ALL with Mpeg4 tuners as far as I have gathered). Some of these are freely available on the UK market by the by, so they probably dont even require sourcing from France!

LG

LG 42PG2500, LG 50PG2500, LG 42PG3500, LG 50PG3500,
    LG 32LG3500, LG 37LG3500, LG 42LG3500 LG 50PG4500
    LG 32LG5500, LG 37LG5500, LG 47LG5500, LG 52LG5500
    LG 42LG6500, LG 50LG6500 LG 32LG7500, LG 37LG7500,
    LG 42LG7500, LG 47LG7500, LG 52LG7500

Panasonic

TX-32LXD86FV, TX-37LXD86FV
    TH-42PZ81E, TH-46PZ81E, TH-50PZ81E
    TH-42PZ83E, TH-46PZ83E
    TH-42PZ86FV, TH-46PZ86FV
    TH-42PZ800E, TH-46PZ800E, TH-50PZ800E