Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H sex discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Section 2 of Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1935...

No mention of males what so ever! hmmm....

Dude, you have no idea how out-of-date that legislation is...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Has it been amended since then with regards males?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Piste wrote: »

No, I don't think it has been. At least I haven't heard or read anything about it being changed.

It is ridiculously unfair really. It shows how far gender equality has really come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

An File wrote: »
    Dude, you have no idea how out-of-date that legislation is...
    Eh well the name says it all (1935), I'm not the one who updates it, so don't shoot the messenger! Right?!
    Just beacuse it is over 70 years old does not mean it cannot be used today. Take our "new" constitution for example(1937), which you can find on the same website.
    However, if you'd like to help enlighten yourself and indeed those on boards.ie who are expressing an interest in this thread then please, go find the most recent amendment of that act, and post it here.
    Beening looking, but nothing explicitly obvious! And the "search" box on that sight isn't working for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The over-all experience of the first time, if it's with somebody you're close to, someone who means a lot to you, someone you share a bond with, can be amazing even if the physical act itself is underwhelming.

I had a chance to lose my virginity in an alley-way when I was 15, but ended up waiting til I was 18. I'm glad I did. It felt much more right than the original scenario.

but alley ways are the best part :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

The law has to be absolute. Law has to be objective; it can't be defined for each subjective case. Thus, it has to apply for 17 and 16 year olds if it is to apply for 40 and 14 year olds. Even though I don't agree with it being strict on 16/17/18 year olds, I can see why it is the way it is.

????
    The law is full of non-absolutes......"reasonable" must be the most common word used in legislation/court judgments...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm going to ignore most of Unregistered's last post because he/she clearly misunderstood what I meant by out-of-date.

There was a high-profile case a few years ago when a man was acquitted of statutory rape because, in his defense, he claimed that he firmly believed the girl in question was over the age of consent (she was 2/3 years too young in reality). This led to a quick run of appeals, in which two more (I think) men had convictions over-turned. It led to some ammendment of the laws surrounding the age of consent, but these were never properly cleared up for the general public.

link

Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006
    The former offences contained in the 1935 Act and the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act, 1993 have been replaced by two new offences of broader scope. S2 and S3 of the 2006 Act prohibit sexual intercourse, buggery, aggravated sexual assault and Section 4 Rape , or an attempt at any of these, with a child of either gender.
    There is also a higher penalty under S3 if the person who commits the offence is a "person in authority" in relation to the victim.
    S2 deals with children under 15 years old, and S3 deals with children under 17 years old. There are four substantive changes between the old offences and the new ones:

1) The defence of honest and reasonable mistake is now available;
    2) The new offences can be committed against a child of either gender, not just female children, and female children have a positive defence under S5;
    3) The new offences have a much broader scope and they are not just confined to sexual intercourse, buggery or gross indecency; and
    4) S3 refers to children under 17 years old, while the former law referred to children between 15 years old and 17 years old. Under the new law a person can be charged with S2 and S3, whereas before they could only be charged with one or the other. Therefore, if a person raises a defence that he thought a girl was 16, it will be a defence to S2 but not to S3.
    It should also be noted at this stage, that there is no provision which exculpates children of a similar age from engaging in sexual activities. Thus, on a bare reading of the Act, it is illegal for all children under the age of 17 to have sexual contact with each other, with the exception of girls as provided for in S5. While sexual acts are permissible between married persons, the Family Law Act, 1995 states that a marriage between persons under 18 years old is not valid unless exempted by the courts.
    The 2006 Act was enacted within 2 weeks of the CC case, and the Oireactas must be commended on the speed at which they closed the gap in Irish criminal law. However, because of the foregoing issues, it may be difficult for the Courts to interpret the 2006 Act. It may be desirable that the 2006 Act be amended in the near future in order to avoid another situation similar to the CC case.

Useful links: CRIMINAL LAW (SEXUAL OFFENCES) ACT, 2006 - Bar Council of Ireland

Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Bill 2006 (No. 27 of 2006)

Irish Independant article

"Statutory rape bill becomes law"

All I am saying is that I was way way too young when it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's surprising how many people don't seem to care about being virgins. Not that I'm saying you should, but it really goes against the stereotype of teenage guys trying to ride anything they can get their paws on.
    You're forgetting we're all outcasts :p

I reckon the stereotype is a lot less common than you might think, and it all comes from peer pressure really. Virginity was never a big deal to me, because due the friends I hung out with when I was in secondary school, I was never exposed to guys my age bragging about sex, and I never really felt under any pressure to lose my virginity. For example, when I was with my first girlfriend at 16, the thought of sex might have crossed my mind occasionally, but I wasn't pushed about it, and certainly didn't expect it.

Your friends say they were having sex at 16. Or whatever. But how do you know it's not just them bragging over nothing?

I lost my virginity when I was 18. Was in no real rush. My first time was a drunken mess; didn't even know the girl, where I was. Obviously have had better experiences since then (I'm 23), but there was no rush.

Unfortunately it's not always a case of waiting for the right one. But there is no point rushing into anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Internet nerds don't have sex!

Rozabeez wrote: »

Really?

Damn.

Yes, and ESPECIALLY not with each other, in the top sekkrit boards.ie underground swingers club.

Yes, and ESPECIALLY not with each other, in the top sekkrit boards.ie underground swingers club.

Ssshh you can't mention the top sekkrit boards.ie underground swingers club!

Though it has to be said they do have an incredibly inventive secret handshake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    You're forgetting we're all outcasts :p
    Virginity was never a big deal to me, because due the friends I hung out with when I was in secondary school, I was never exposed to guys my age bragging about sex, and I never really felt under any pressure to lose my virginity.

I was in a similar situation. Most of my friends were back then were girls, and at least two of my male friends were gay. So I never heard other guys bragging about sex either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

thats why your here roz :D

O_o

*walks away whistling innocently*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Interesting thread. I'm 18, in 6th year, and almost certain I can count the people in my year who've lost their V-plates on two hands. (about 90 in my year btw).
    I can count them because everyone gossips about it if someone does get some poontang. Woe, the conversation-starved youth of the day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

cautioner wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I'm 18, in 6th year, and almost certain I can count the people in my year who've lost their V-plates on two hands. (about 90 in my year btw).
    I can count them because everyone gossips about it if someone does get some poontang. Woe, the conversation-starved youth of the day...

jebus.my school must really live up to its reputation id say at least 3/4 of my year have done the nasty and theres like 127 of us.i know loads definietly have for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Yeah, from my own experience there seems to be a fairly large divide between rural and urban schools in that regard.

Dang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Though it has to be said they do have an incredibly inventive secret handshake.

The Dutch rudder ? :pac:

Hindsight is great but there's really far too much of a deal made out of it in school. I can remember a few of us slagging a guy in our group because he was still a virgin :rolleyes:, such childish w*nkery behaviour that only belied our own immaturity on the matter.

My only memories of in-school bragging about sex involved 3 lads from the rugby team gossipping like little girls. It wasn't a big deal at all for my LC group, which is funny when you think there was 140-odd guys in that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

No one really cares if you are or arent in my school.just as its such a gossipy all girls school and everyones connected by people out of the school aswell so lots of stuff gets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

When I was in school (last year) it was a feckin HUGE thing!
    People used to think you were a freak if you were a virgin.
    College is different though, people genuinely don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Meh.. It was never a big deal to me. Just never really felt under great pressure to have sex. Have had one or two occasions where I could have but no way was I/her in any way to have it.. To be honest, personally, i'd feel under more pressure to kiss girls than I would be to have the seeex with them.

My only memories of in-school bragging about sex involved 3 lads from the rugby team gossipping like little girls. It wasn't a big deal at all for my LC group, which is funny when you think there was 140-odd guys in that year.

Yeah, you did have some pretty odd guys in your year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah, you did have some pretty odd guys in your year..

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Haha "losing their V-plates". What an excellent way to put it!

Advertisement