Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H sex discussion thread

• 14-01-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

with a very mature take on the subject what are your opinions with the whole underage thing?

personally i'm a virgin,but then again i don't buy in to this whole one night stand bull you only get one first time then,go ride like jockies.

oh and the underage law ...what's the point? if you do or not i can't imagine a garda going round *ahem* ""investigating" young ladies/fellas business

okay the dazzler reminded me of something this is NOT about the law in particular just the general subject

Comments

The law is there to protect young children.If their was no age of consent.Some person(40) could convince a 14 year teenager that it is ok to have sex and then we wouldn't be able to act and try and stop it without the age of consent.Although, I can see a reason for it being on a case by case basis.(ie a 17 year sleeping with a 16 year old.)

The law is there to protect young children.If their was no age of consent.Some person(40) could convince a 14 year teenager that it is ok to have sex and then we wouldn't be able to act and try and stop it without the age of consent.Although, I can see a reason for it being on a case by case basis.(ie a 17 year sleeping with a 16 year old.)

The law has to be absolute. Law has to be objective; it can't be defined for each subjective case. Thus, it has to apply for 17 and 16 year olds if it is to apply for 40 and 14 year olds. Even though I don't agree with it being strict on 16/17/18 year olds, I can see why it is the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Madeleine Nervous Knight

When I was 14 or 15, there were classmates doin' it all over the place who thought they were the bees knees, and part of me was kinda jealous. Looking back though, I'm glad I didn't join in. Jesus, some of the lads I fancied back then...

As well, I might sound like a prude, but there is a maturity issue imo. Young teenagers seem to see sex as a status badge, or something to do to prove how mature they are. There's something really depressing about a 15 year old boasting about their conquests, and, especially in the case of girls, it's easier to lose your virginity than the slut-badge you get for starting too early. I think about 17, 18 is plenty of time to have an anyway serious sexual relationship. But then again, some of the aforementioned class mates who gave it up in their early teens are still together so...I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Only real complaint I have about not starting early is a sore wrist :pac: :o

Seriously though, I'd agree with electro~bitch on most things. As for people with the one-night thing, meh, that's their own business. Personally I'm more of a relationship kinda guy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Lost mine at 16, which may seem early to some, I suppose it kinda is! I wasn't going out with him at the time either! However nearly 2 years on it's a different story :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Those of you who haven't done it, don't rush into it. I had it massively built up in my head, and as much fun as it was, I was disappointed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I'm 13. Yeah.

Besides, sex is icky and ooey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

obl wrote: »
    Those of you who haven't done it, don't rush into it. I had it massively built up in my head, and as much fun as it was, I was disappointed by it.

I always thought everybody was disappointed by it. :pac:

Staying true to my nerdish tendencies I have never had sex. Based on my experiences with women, that's not going to change for a long time. :pac:

Though the idea of sex with a girl I barely know is really off putting. It seems very weird.

"Hi, I don't really know you. Can I put my penis in there and release some DNA paste for the craic?"

It doesn't really matter anyway. The girls around here aren't all that great. River in Egypt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Madeleine Nervous Knight

obl wrote: »

I've never heard of anyone who wasn't disappointed with their first time, I've heard some stories that make me wonder why the person even did it again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The over-all experience of the first time, if it's with somebody you're close to, someone who means a lot to you, someone you share a bond with, can be amazing even if the physical act itself is underwhelming.

I had a chance to lose my virginity in an alley-way when I was 15, but ended up waiting til I was 18. I'm glad I did. It felt much more right than the original scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

i was 16 when i lost my pureness :)

myself and the guy discussed it thoroughly and were going out a year before we had sex.

we broke up 2 months later, and 5 years on are still friends...

i love thinking back to the 'first love'/'puppy love' days..

i think personally, its a bigger deal for girls, as they can tend to get more emotionally involved and therefore i feel, maybe its best that if a teen is willing to hae sex at a young age - 15/16- that they be in a relationship with someone they trust and can talk to about it. it makes it hell of a lot easier - more comfortable and relaxed/at ease :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Phew, when I saw this thread I was very apprehensive, wondering if I'd have t go editing and deleting left right and centre.

But nope :) all genuine contributions and thoughts, thank you all for making my Wednesday night so much easier!

*kisses*

I used to think the age of consent was a load of rubbish and limited our freedoms etc. but I realise now that if an underage couple want to have sex they can do so illegaly, but seeing as they're both consenting, neither is going to run to the Gards (unless one is seriously vindictive- lesson to underage guys with underage girlfriends: DON'T EVER CHEAT ON THEM) so in that way the age of consent doesn't really inhibit them.

What it does is protect someone who is being abused or manipulated. Although one thing I never really understood is why normal rape laws can't be applied here instead of the age of consent laws. Ho hum.

It's incorrect to say "sex is a big deal" or "sex is no big deal" because everyone has a different take on it. You can view sex as being a big deal and still have loads of casual sex, you can view sex as being nothing too important at all but still have meaningful sex with someone you love. There are no right or wrongs as long as the both of you are happy.*

*and legal. Boards.ie does not condone any illegal underage behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

a serious thread in C and H? odd...

Personally I don't think the whole underage thing ever really comes into it. The only people going to stop you are parents, not the gards. I'm 19 now, but although I've never checked, I think my parents still wouldn't be ok with me having sex at home...

the underage law is there to protect minors, and it means rapists can be prosecuted without forcing the victim to appear in court.

Personally, I'm 19 and still a virgin, but it stopped meaning anything a good while ago :) Anyone making a big deal out of it is just silly IMO, it's not what you do, it's who you do it with. I'm single now but I probably would've done it with the last girl I was with if she'd wanted to. At this stage, I don't really expect anything of it and don't build it up. When and if I get involved with someone again, then we'll see :)

Oh and personally, everyone's different and everything but for me, I wouldn't want to do it with anyone I wasn't also really close to, could talk to about everything, was totally comfortable being with etc.

Once again, just say no to high expectations kids ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Piste wrote: »
    Phew, when I saw this thread I was very apprehensive, wondering if I'd have t go editing and deleting left right and centre.
    Heh, I thought the same.
    [jinxes thread]Things seem to be going fairly smoothly though.[/jinxes thread]

cocoa wrote: »
    a serious thread in C and H? odd...
    We live in hope...
    cocoa wrote:
    Personally, I'm 19 and still a virgin, but it stopped meaning anything a good while ago :)

Snap! :)
    I've no idea when my first time will be or who it'll be with (been single for a long time unfortunately). When it happens, it happens. I don't let myself get bothered by dwelling on it.

It's surprising how many people don't seem to care about being virgins. Not that I'm saying you should, but it really goes against the stereotype of teenage guys trying to ride anything they can get their paws on.

At least it means you probably wont be disappointed :) Sex is nice and all, but it's not the be all and end all and isn't a huge life-changing event (unless you get pregnant or an STI). You'e still the same person after as you were before.

Snap! :)
    I've no idea when my first time will be or who it'll be with (been single for a long time unfortunately). When it happens, it happens. I don't let myself get bothered by dwelling on it.

wow we should totally meet up sometime...

ahem...

Yeah, at some stage a while back I read a lot of info online about the mysterious sex monster and eventually altered my outlook. Many people consider penetrative sex to be the be all and end all but it's far from it, in fact some people prefer other kinds. Considering it like a hierarchy starting with kissing and ending with sex is a bad idea IMO. Now I really look at it as all about who you're with, just do whatever you're both comfortable with and it's gonna be loads of fun :)

ride anything they can get their paws on.
    Well technically....:pac:

but yeah, not as big a deal as its made out to be.

It's surprising how many people don't seem to care about being virgins. Not that I'm saying you should, but it really goes against the stereotype of teenage guys trying to ride anything they can get their paws on.

It used to bother me a lot. Now I just don't focus on it.
    Obsessing over it and being miserable isn't gonna solve anything.

Not that I'm saying you should, but it really goes against the stereotype of teenage guys trying to ride anything they can get their paws on.

I hate that stereotype!!! A girl was surprised when I said no, that I wasn't ready. Guys don't have to be the gas and girls don't have to be the brakes!!!

</rant>

oh, not attacking you by the way Piste, just the stereotype :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

jost asking if it wrong for a 18 year old woman has sex with a 16 year old boy would the boy get in trable
    An File wrote: »
    Probably not, but the girl definitely could.

Wasn't the legal age 15 for men and 17 for women? I know the debate about making it 16 all around started a few years ago but I haven't been sure since! Which is it?

• Advertisement

I think it used to be 16 for men and 17 for women. Have no idea if it's changed.

different sites are yielded conflicting results, I defo think it was 15 for men though. I remember having a MASSIVELY-blown-out-of-proportion row with a friend of mine who said it was 17 all round. Had good reasons for the arguement but it was 2~3 yearsa ago now.

Professor Wiki Pedia says:
    The age of consent in Ireland is 17 for carnal contact, with non-carnal contact being allowed at 15, regardless of sexual orientation and/or gender (although this relies on an interpretation of what "carnal contact" and "non-carnal contact" refers to). Sex with a minor over the age of 15 carries a lower sentence than that for when the minor is below 15, although the punishments were raised in the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006.

From the website www.ageofconsent.com it says:

The legal age at which a person is currently competent to consent to sexual intercourse is currently seventeen (17) years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Yeah I'd be surprised if it wasn't challenged, seing as it's blatant gender discrimination.

I'm 1000% certain its 17 for both now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I had just turned 15 the first time i had sex and it was a huge mistake.Stupid night with a friend who i dont even talk to now.At the time i was so flattered that he liked me i felt as if i owed him something and that sex and the like would suffice and he was rather pushy.I had that mentality for a while and my self confidence was really low which wasnt helped by the sex thing as it became all he saw me as.

After a while i became more comfortable in my own skin and became more confident and realised that i deserved better then to be thought of as just some pathetic girl who went along with what ever the lad wanted.I'm a lot happy now because of it.When i had sex with someone who i cared deeply for it meant somthing to me and it just felt a lot more special.

As for the physical side sex has been one of the most painful things ive done at times so that has kinda sucked but in general is alrite not great.WAY over rated and doing it dosent change you at all.To anyone who feels bothered by being a virgin i just hope you wait till its someone special and have a better first time then i had.:)

Section 2 of Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1935...
    (1) Any person who unlawfully and carnally knows any girl who is of or over the age of fifteen years and under the age of seventeen years shall be guilty of a misdemeanour and shall be liable, in the case of a first conviction of such misdemeanour, to penal.....
    ...(2) Any person who attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of any girl who is of or over the age of fifteen years and under the age of seventeen years shall be guilty of a misdemeanour....

No mention of males what so ever! hmmm....

• Advertisement

Yeah I noticed that too, deeply unfair.

Advertisement