Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to build a cabinet

Options
  • 28-07-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Myself and a few other lads are going to start building our own cabinets. Is there a service say in B&Q where I can turn up and ask for 3 sheets of MDF and have them cut per spec of my cabinet design ? as I live in an apartment I don't want to be cutting up MDF indoors :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

I'd be interested to see if there is anywhere, as I'm starting my own cabinet and it would save a LOT of heartache if a professional could do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,633 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hunting down an old cabinet to use would probably be easier than trying to find someone to build it. You get the odd one on adverts.ie. Or even ebay.ie.

Or you could even try something like this (Which I may do when I get some cash)

http://gizmodo.com/5022607/ikea-%252B-apple--mamebook-cocktail

More about it here -

http://www.killercabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12440&start=0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I've been looking into this as well.

Most places wont cut stuff as per spec (Woodies definately wont) due to people giving incorrect dimensions and then going home and realizing stuff wont fit. :D

If you know a carpenter thats your best bet i'd say.

One of the cousins is a cabinet maker so ill be dropping up to them about the making of the cab.

I have all the electrical guts (got on ebay), but moved recently so am not able to start my build, which is dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ondafly

cheers for the links however I'm looking to go LCD due to the space savings. This cab in particular - I've drawn it up in sketchup

http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/

Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    cheers for the links however I'm looking to go LCD due to the space savings. This cab in particular - I've drawn it up in sketchup

http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/

That's a nice cab. The only thing I could find wrong with it is the size of the monitor. It seems a little small.

I've been looking over lots and lots of cabs for the last few months and the one thing that seems to take away from most MAME ones is a monitor that's too small. Especially in proportion to the bezel. It just doesn't look right. A lot of people seem to use the CRT or LCD they have lying around the house rather than buying a new one.

If you can, try and invest in the biggest one possible. It'll be worth it in the long run. Especially if you're going to all the effort of building something like this.
    Even a 21 inch LCD rather than an 19 inch. It would still fit in a cab that size no problem.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean about the screen appearing too small. Currently might use a WS 19" LCD that I have - and then mount in on one of those rotating arms, so the bezel is velcro'd inplace, pop it off and rotate the screen 90' so I can play Dodonpachi in a larger screen =)

need to get the actual cab built first though !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I recommend getting a copy of "Project Arcade - Build Your Own Arcade Machine" I have it as an ebook and it makes a really good reference.

Just to keep this thread updated - B&Q don't provide a "cutting service" so we've gone with a builders suppliers to source the MDF - going with 3/4" thick. This saturday hope to start cutting it up !

couple of quick snaps - got 2 sides of one cabinet done (in pics), this will be the LCD based cab. Also got 1 side of a cabinet that will hold a 21" CRT, however the rain scuppered our chances of getting anything else done.

Parts arrived - 2 x Sanwa Sticks, 16 x Sanwa buttons, 1 x j-pac

So I've started to try and make the control panel, the hard part is laying it out how you want it and of course trying to find a drill bit to drill a big enough hole for the push buttons. I've had a go at setting up player 1, I've also done the wiring.

see pic attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭phillo

A holesaw will make light work of the holes for the buttons and joystick. Just make sure you mark out the holes first. You will also have to measure the button to find out what size holesaw to get.

I think Sanwa buttons require a 24mm holesaw (please check this out before drilling). It will set you back about 15euro for one.

OBSF-24infosuper.jpg

I had to do a similar job to add the three extra buttons needed to play Street Fighter 2.

-

Cheers Phillo - I actually bought the slightly larger sanwas that are 29.5 mm in diameter. I picked up a holesaw though (30mm), and it worked perfectly. So good in fact, I've done a 2nd control panel. I also have all the parts cut out now, so its a case of sanding, some more sanding, and then some more sanding <-- hopefully next weekend.

Master of the Universe

How much was it for the Sanwas if you don't mind me asking? They really look the business.

cheap enough at €1.95 each from http://www.arcadeshop.de/

Hi All,

Thought I should update this thread a bit - I've gotten a good bit further with the cabinet.

Got a free PC (dual xeon processors :pac:)
    Fitted LED strip lighting to light up the homemade marquee :p (changed the colors from the original)
    ignore the crooked speakers !!!!

Master of the Universe

Wow, Looking good! Strangely enough, I was going to buy that marquee. Think it had a blue or green background though.

I really like the red/yellow/orange colour scheme. Would be great if you could bring some of that into the paneling.

Dummy money slot would look great too!

But yeah, keep up the great work.

How long have you spent on it as a matter of interest?

I've been doing a bit on mine too. Got some SNK decals for the side. Just after ordering a 4 slot marquee and a neo geo CP overlay. Fingers crossed I get a chance to sort it soon. Half finished projects bug the hell out of me :D

the marquee is actually a vector graphic I found online. I redid the colors to match my paint scheme for the rest of the cabinet. I had a friend print it and laminate it to the exact size I needed :D

I'm thinking of getting a money slot alright - I have all the necessary electronics to accept it also in working order. Just not sure if I really want it !

I'd said a good few hours of work have gone into this. Alot of it has been quite cheap.

MDF = €18 per sheet (3 sheets)
    Computer = free
    Monitor = old one I had
    Buttons/Joysticks/jpag = approx €120
    Plexi glass = €20
    Black card surround = €5
    Speakers = free (were going in the bin)
    MDF Paint = €20
    LCD mount = €20
    LED lighting = €38

To be honest its been more fun building the thing, rather than using it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There are two types of home build cabinets. The hideous Midway frankenpanel ones that the Americans like, and try and ram in every conceivable button and doodle regardless of wether it's erganomic or attractive looking.

And then there are the ones built to look like traditional 80's cabinets, which is gorgeous. You can get all the CAD drawings and plans for many old arcade cabinets off the net for free, and then there are lots of places that'll print the artwork too.

Here's a good page for drawings.
    http://www.jakobud.com/

Me, I'm not any good at building stuff so I'll probably just buy a candy cabinet. But I'd love to have the skills to build a Nintendo cabinet. Those things are just gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Nice looking cabinet well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭djsim

The Cabinet looks great, I have always wanted to start and build my own Cabinet but it is the matter of telling my girlfriend that we may have a big old arcade machine in the dinning room:D

Maybe when I find out if I still have a job in the next week or two I will consider it, or then again, if I lose my job, I will have lots of time to complete the job:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭giggsy07

Easiest way to go is find an old 1 and convert it mate.i was luckily directed to 1 from here.looked rough wen i picked it up but in 2 weeks shes a baby.2 player 6 button running mame perfectly.i still cant believe the results and it wasn hard either..ill post some pics for yez.only prob is the missus never sees me now...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Decent cab, but it needs a bigger monitor ;)
    All that black space, think what it would be like if there were lovely graphics in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Hi Folks,

Myself and a few other lads are going to start building our own cabinets.

When you are done, let Biffo know, I understand he's having problems with his.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Decent cab, but it needs a bigger monitor ;)
    All that black space, think what it would be like if there were lovely graphics in there...

ah thats the beauty of my design :) it can take upto 24" monitor. The black space is just black card - can easily be cut for a bigger screen :p

Master of the Universe

If you're ever going to go bigger screen wise, you should go the CRT television route. Dirt cheap for a 24 inch and games look much better.

Or have you got the cab depth for one?

thats my converted cab.still work in progress but only 2 weeks in an shes great..

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you're ever going to go bigger screen wise, you should go the CRT television route. Dirt cheap for a 24 inch and games look much better.

Or have you got the cab depth for one?

no interest in CRTs - in fact I had 3 21" Crts, that had the v-sync h-sync options on the back, perfect for arcade use, but i wanted to use an lcd and to be honest, i see very little dfiference bar scan-lines etc

also its cheaper on the old electricity :pac:

giggsy07 wrote: »
    thats my converted cab.still work in progress but only 2 weeks in an shes great..

looks good - any pics of the internals, spec etc ?

looks good - any pics of the internals, spec etc ?
    Ye ill post another pic of the inside for ya.im running a reasonably cheap intel celeron d3.46Ghz wit vista.ATI Radeon x-press.Runs everythin fine wit no probs.i use nebula for neo geo games and in my opinion its the best neo emulator wen i compare it to my original console,some actually emulate better would u believe. and mameui32 for the rest.got a 21in crt monitor from e-bay for a tenner,although had to rip the bottom off it to squeeze in as it huge.MK2 arcade controller to set up the controls.highly recommended,no soldering involved.got my buttons and sticks from japan on e-bay again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    A friend of mine is talking about making a few of them but with a twist he is putting a drink area in the bottom so it will look better in the room .

Advertisement