Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood Fitness Club

Options
  • 07-01-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I’m a member in Westwood Clontarf for many a year now, I know, I know, ‘it’s too expensive’ I heard you say, but I do think it’s worth it. I mainly use the Gym, but do indulge myself by going to the spa area now and again :D But I mainly enjoy going to the gym, there is a fantastic array of machinery, and the staff they have in the gym are great, in my opinion the gym staff are 2nd to none, very friendly and helpful and outgoing there’s always a good vibe in the place.

But just before Christmas I heard that all the personal trainers were been let go, and rightly enough along came the new year and the staff were gone. Fair enough it’s a business move etc but they haven’t been replace, there no option for getting the odd training session.

And then yesterday I arrived into the club and it was like turning up at a funeral, all the staff, managers, alot members were all crying and upset, everywhere you turned there was someone crying and cursing Westwood including members.

I bravely enquired as to what was going on, and apparently the higher management in Westwood have decided to pull the middle management team, this includes all gym managers across all three clubs! All gym managers are redundant. The people on the ground that make the experience of going to the Club feel good are gone. I’m also really in shock as some of these people do make the club good. Its like they’ve just cut all the good/high paid staff to save money, and give the members a lesser Westwood experience.

In this current economical climate they should be trying to keep a good team on board and keep us members happy. But judging by what went on yesterday there were a lot of very unhappy people about the place, and a very bad vibe around.

I'm wondering did any body hear anything or was unfortunate enough to witness peoples grief in the club yesterday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

It was mainly all of the personal trainers deal with the gym terminated. They were paying the gym a set fee for doing personal training there - so not made redundant as they were not employed by the gym in the first place.

Most have moved on to greener pastures so just ask around and you can STILL get the odd session and use the program in westwood.

Its business and we all have to cut our cloth so the good ones will still just move onwards and upwards to their own facilities - maybe it was the push they needed?

I totally agree its very sad for the members as a high standard of instruction is missing but i am sure this will change over time and if not then just go to private training facilities instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

It wasn't only the personal trainers let go, but also managment and assistant management. One of the trainers wasn't even in the country and was let know by email that all his clients were going to be emailed the next day and let know, and also contacted to arrange training with another staff member.

The problem lies in that the Personal Trainers were contracted, and were of a much more vast knowledge and experience of training than the in-house fitness instructors. So i can imagine the members and clients will not be too happy.

Two of the Personal Trainers are opening up their own gym in the Clontarf area, along the Seafront beside Bay Restaurant where the Dollymount House used to be. The gym will be up and running in the next 2 weeks, if anyone wants contact details for David or James PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 theturnofthe

] " But just before Christmas I heard that all the personal trainers were been let go, and rightly enough along came the new year and the staff were gone. Fair enough it’s a business move etc but they haven’t been replace, there no option for getting the odd training session.

And then yesterday I arrived into the club and it was like turning up at a funeral, all the staff, managers, alot members were all crying and upset, everywhere you turned there was someone crying and cursing Westwood including members."

I completely agree.

Westwood have pushed their best trainers and staff out the door. These trainers are some of the most qualified and commited in the country- I can't see how this is good for business. The clients who trained with these guys were not even informed by WW that their trainers were no longer available- they were left high and dry by the gym, and of all times in Jan!! Clients didn't even receive a courtesy phone call! Is this good customer care?

The trainers that are left in the gym are not qualified to the same standard as the guys that left, so 'picking up the odd session' with one of them is not really going to compare to having your weekly sessions with a trainer who you've had for years, knows your training abilities and has already brought you soo far. ..
    It's disgraceful the way WW treated these trainers, the gym were lucky to have them.
    It's also disgraceful how they treated their so -called valued customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

]

The trainers that are left in the gym are not qualified to the same standard as the guys that left, so 'picking up the odd session' with one of them is not really going to compare to having your weekly sessions with a trainer who you've had for years, knows your training abilities and has already brought you soo far. ..
    It's disgraceful the way WW treated these trainers, the gym were lucky to have them.... and their so -called valued customers.

I completely agree! It is a disgrace the way WW is treating its clients and staff.
    The people they let go should have been locked into contracts not cast aside.

WW however probably realise that most of us that used the PTs won't leave as we are highly motivated regarding our training, i unfortunately won't be leaving as its handy for both home and work. I will off course remain loyal to my excellent PT and can't wait to train in his new place up the road.
    However what WW don't seem to realise is that its not just the small percentage of clients that used these one to one sessions that will be affected.
    The classes given by the PTs and the ex-Clontarf gym floor manager (don't want to name names ;-))were always the best classes available in the gym .To the team left behind i wish you the best of luck but ye have very large boots left to fill and in the current poor climate in there I think ye will need it.

I for one joined WW on the recommendation of a member - I ACTUALLY only joined to train with one of the newly ejected trainers, David Mulqueen -and have recommended WW and David to friends.....

I will NOT be recommending WW again.
    I will ,however ,be recommending David

ciaranmul wrote: »
    Two of the Personal Trainers are opening up their own gym in the Clontarf area, along the Seafront beside Bay Restaurant where the Dollymount House used to be. The gym will be up and running in the next 2 weeks, if anyone wants contact details for David or James PM me.

Fair play to them. That's what I want to be hearing. Don't let the system beat you. I hope they do well.

• Advertisement

Exactly, fair play and move on.

If you want to do regualar or occasional sessions then go see these guys - nothing has changed just the location. Yes i know westwood is possibly handy for most and you can get inspired by just training around these guys but thats life.

Finally, i have no idea how westwood think this is a good business idea - kick all your best trainers out! However, i think this is just the start of people who want proper training and training programs going to private personal training facilities using the trainer there and then doing the pogram in their own gym. Whats your other option - get the same crappy program everyone gets i.e.

(do 15mins on bike, 10mins rower, 10mins cross trainer, 15mins on weights machines and then 10mins doing mickey mouse stomach exercises!!PLease tell me this is not your current program)

The big gyms can't seem to handle the best trainers purely because they do not manage their talents and possibly the BIGGEST REASON IS THAT THEY can't stand the fact that the best trainers are making more money than the top manager in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Iv been a member for 3 years and this is completely out of the blue,i go to one of the trainers and he told me on friday going into the gym,i was shocked to say the least,glad he is setting up his own gym up the road though,best thing to do is move on.

As for how this will affect the club,only time will tell,but already im getting vides from people that they want to leave or at least have something done about this,i think this will only be a bad thing for WW clubs.

Transform wrote: »
    Exactly, fair play and move on.

"The big gyms can't seem to handle the best trainers purely because they do not manage their talents and possibly the BIGGEST REASON IS THAT THEY can't stand the fact that the best trainers are making more money than the top manager in the club.
    "

Interesting point, never thought of that angle ! The phrase ' cutting off your nose to spite your face' comes to mind! WWs nose is well and truly gone then ! WW has made a serious error in judgement on this one, and if it is purely motivated by money/ pettiness then it's clear that they neither have their members or staffs best interest in mind.

I too cannot wait to train up the road in the new gym.
    The atmosphere in ww is terrible at the moment- what do they expect tho

the-lad wrote: »
    "

The phrase ' cutting off your nose to spite your face' comes to mind! WWs nose is well and truly gone then ! WW has made a serious error in judgement on this one, and if it is purely motivated by money/ pettiness then it's clear that they neither have their members or staffs best interest in mind.

I too cannot wait to train up the road in the new gym.
    The atmosphere in ww is terrible at the moment- what do they expect tho

Look it's very unfortunate. I don't like to see anybody not have a job or not make a living but you need to understand sometimes this has to be done. Sometimes good can come out of this; the two lads are already going to set up their own gym and you said you will be going up there to train with them so that's good. That's positive. This is typical of a recession and unfortunately the gyms don't get excluded.

WW is first and foremost a business. It is not a not for profit organisation or a charity. It needs to make money like any other business. That's the priority because if they are not making money, they can not offer their services.

Secondly, it more than likely is motivated by money because as I said, it's a business!!!!!!!!!! What do you expect? Keep their great staff on and then have to close the entire gym down in the next 6 - 12 months because they can't even afford to run? What good will that do? That means nobody will have a gym then and more people will be affected - not just the people who go to personal trainers in these gyms.

I'm not saying Westwood are in the right because I don't know how well run or how badly run there gyms are but from the outside looking in, they can't be doing too badly. They have been one of the main gyms for the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Suey101

Dearest Tony and Posters,
    I’m a previous employee of Westwood Leopardstown, I’ve work their for good time in the higher management team as you call it. I left for reasons that I cannot disclose in this post, I now use the Clontarf club closer to home and that, the club is great or possible was great. I also have heard what happened yesterday and I believe it wasn’t very nice.

Its not only the one2one trainers that have been affected, the whole management team are gone and so the style and talent they bring to the table is also gone. You could have the best trainers/team/people in the world working for you, but there no good if they are not managed correctly.

I still have a friend on the higher management team and he’s telling me snippets of what’s fully going on, and from what I can work out its a three phase plan, 1st one2one trainers out, 2nd mangers gone and the 3rd phase has yet to come.
    But if you discuss this from a business point of view, it appears they are cutting staff to reduce costs, reduce the out goings and improve the incomings, hold onto the money in the bank and on company books the company looks more profitable and then up goes the for sale sign, Mr Smith (the owner) sells to the highest bidder, Mr Dunne? Westwood becomes a WestPoint? Interesting…

An increase in the monthly fee may also be on the cards and the reasons are due to higher operational costs, they really have no idea what they are doing to their members in the long run.

• Advertisement

If the costs go up then i will cancel my membership straight away.

I'm well aware its a business but the PT were sole traders paying ww per person they trained so I don't see the logic in getting rid of them. :confused:

Look it's very unfortunate. I don't like to see anybody not have a job or not make a living but you need to understand sometimes this has to be done. Sometimes good can come out of this; the two lads are already going to set up their own gym and you said you will be going up there to train with them so that's good. That's positive. This is typical of a recession and unfortunately the gyms don't get excluded.

WW is first and foremost a business. It is not a not for profit organisation or a charity. It needs to make money like any other business. That's the priority because if they are not making money, they can not offer their services.

Secondly, it more than likely is motivated by money because as I said, it's a business!!!!!!!!!! What do you expect? Keep their great staff on and then have to close the entire gym down in the next 6 - 12 months because they can't even afford to run? What good will that do? That means nobody will have a gym then and more people will be affected - not just the people who go to personal trainers in these gyms.

I'm not saying Westwood are in the right because I don't know how well run or how badly run there gyms are but from the outside looking in, they can't be doing too badly. They have been one of the main gyms for the last 10 years.
    WW didn't pay the PTs that left, the clients did. The trainers actually paid westwood a rental fee for using their club.....now how is that COSTING WW money? And you're right, they can't be doing too badly- their monthly fees are double that of most gyms, yet they drastically lag behind when it comes to upkeep/renovations- all you need to do is have a look around the grubby sauna "spa" area to see what improvements are overdue....

Ill be heading down there this evening,a good friend of mine works there so if i hear of any more news ill post it up here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have to say, I was REALLY surprised when I heard about this.

Considering how high fees already are, and how the personal trainers were effectively paying WW to work there, I'd be seriously concerned about the financial health of the club.

David Mulqueen's brother is a good friend of mine and I've met Dave several times. Any time I've ever talked training I was very impressed with his knowledge. I remember being in their house maybe 2 years ago now (during my cynical "all PT's are ****" phase) and saw lots of Charles Poliquin stuff and other below the radar coaches who you wouldn't know about or understand unless you'd done a lot of research already and thought to myself "jesus, he really does work hard and know his stuff".

I'd have had no hesitation in telling people to go to him if they were members of WW already (and have done so in the past), and after hearing people come on here and mention him by name, and knowing how well he's recommended by those who've used him, I really do wish him the best of luck with his new place. I know he can make a success of it!!

Well said Hanley.

WW didn't pay the PTs that left, the clients did. The trainers actually paid westwood a rental fee for using their club.....now how is that COSTING WW money? And you're right, they can't be doing too badly- their monthly fees are double that of most gyms, yet they drastically lag behind when it comes to upkeep/renovations- all you need to do is have a look around the grubby sauna "spa" area to see what improvements are overdue....

Insurance. Probably the biggest expense of any gym.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Insurance. Probably the biggest expense of any gym.

I would have expected the PT's to have to have their own insurance tbh. You're still gonna have the same footfall (ish), so you would expect them to have to pay the same premium.

That is of course unless there was some extra provision in place for people being trained by outside contractors (but again, I would expect the contractor to have to cover it).

Tbh what I see happening is a new group of PT's being brought in, employed by the club, paid less than Dave, James and the others, and thus creating a bigger margin for WW.

I'm not 100% sure on this so maybe Mickk/Transform can clarify but because the actual personal training occurs on the premises of Westwood, it is effectively their (WW)responsibility, right?

I know PT's need their own insurance but doesn't PT insurance just "legally" allow personal trainers to prescribe exercises and protect them against being sued by a client etc?

Either way, I can't see how they would let people go unless it was saving them money so they were obviously draining some expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Hmmm, didn't WW pay for all the guys to get their Chuckles Polloquin certs? My mate used to work there and the PTS were held up as GODS! ALL HAIL THE METROSEXUALS! AFAIK there were other financial arrangements that aren't being discussed here but basically, WW paid their PTs. At least to some extent. I'm being vague because my memory of the conversation is just that, vague so don't take the above as fact, it's just what I heard/can remember of what I heard.

I don't mean to get off the conspiracy theory buzz that abounds here but could it not just be that in a changing economic environment, Westwood have looked at their projected membership figures and said uh oh. Faced with a decrease in their bottom line they've decided to act. Remember it was the top gym in Dublin but it also had the top fee, and it was a major status boost to say your gym was Westwood while you were having your Mochafrappachunkacino with your fellow .com bubble buddies or your colleagues at Citibank. It could be now that recession is in full swing the cheaper gyms are making inroads into their membership renewals, if people are renewing at all.

In other words I wouldn't take it as a personal affront from Westwood if you don't think the place is what you signed up for. Just cancel and go elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Well said Roper (that's a first :))

Exactly, if you don't like it go to the gym others have set up.

The tipping point of people going to the experts and using their program in the gym rather than the crappy ones new unexperienced trainers give out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 colinun

True enough what people are saying. I was down in the gym yesterday evening and there’s such a bad atmosphere. I usual spend around 2hours training but most of that time was spend talking to other people about what’s gong on and people are distraught.
    People will miss all PT trainers I’ve done sessions with Matt and Rachel in the past and both were class. I'll now go to John Connor in Drumcondra its very near westwood and I hear people are getting good results with him. The two girls that run the gym are also gone so I’d say things will fall apart quickly when there not running it. It maybe time to start looking for another gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

seems WW is in a bad way

if anyone is interested some friends of mine have opned a new gym before xmas between camden st & portobello in town.

It has the largest collection of free weights than any other gym in dublin.
    also olympic rings,climbing ropes,kegs,tyre flipping etc..not your usual gym!
    they have cardio equipment but are mainly focused on core conditioning.

If anyone wants to PM I can point them in the right direction

Was talking to a few people last night,the general atmosphere(as it has already been said)was very bad,gym goers and gym workers are all very unhappy with the changes,more so because they were sudden and unexpected,but i also heard that a large number of people have canceled their membership as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks,very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I reckon that what will happen with Westwood is:

a) the people who have left will be either replaced or not replaced
    b) most members won't notice
    c) The new PTs gym down the road will do a roaring trade, although I'M SURE that this thread wasn't an advertisement for them in any way ;)

It's a big business with big business ideals. It'd be like me saying "ooh they've replaced that bloke on the tills in Spar. That place will fall apart without him". Like it or not, the next staff member will probably be as good as the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Roper wrote: »
    Remember it was the top gym in Dublin but it also had the top fee, and it was a major status boost to say your gym was Westwood while you were having your Mochafrappachunkacino with your fellow .com bubble buddies or your colleagues at Citibank.

lol

It should be noted that one of your members works in Citibank.

Roper wrote: »
    It'd be like me saying "ooh they've replaced that bloke on the tills in Spar. That place will fall apart without him". Like it or not, the next staff member will probably be as good as the last one.

Don't know what you do for a living roper, but do you think eveyone who does your job does it to the same standard?
    Don't you think there are huge variables as regards the standards different peolple are trained to and levels of commitment different people have for their jobs?
    I find it difficult to believe that someone can walk in the door of WW today and better manage a gym that was running perfectly due to management that was in place there from day one... if it aint broke dont't fix it !And I HAVE to say, comparing highly skilled and experienced trainers and gym managers to people scanning barcodes in spar is, frankly, ridiculous. .:confused: (No offence to anyone working in Spar). It shows you have the same lack of understanding as to the value of experienced staff in a company.....

I find it difficult to believe that someone can walk in the door of WW today and better manage a gym that was running perfectly due to management that was in place there from day one... if it aint broke dont't fix it !And I HAVE to say, comparing highly skilled and experienced trainers and gym managers to people scanning barcodes in spar is, frankly, ridiculous. .:confused: (No offence to anyone working in Spar). It shows you have the same lack of understanding as to the value of experienced staff in a company.....

First of all it clearly was not running perfectly otherwise they would not have let go of the staff now would they or be contemplating letting more people go so don't be so silly, you're losing the run of yourself. It may have been running perfectly on a consumer level but the books don't lie, the financial controller and senior management of the place obviously made a serious balls of something. OBVIOUSLY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 colinun

I totally agree with you ‘theturnofthe’ these managers and trainers know what they are doing and know the westwood clients.
    Some for them have trained for many years to get where they are today and it will be hard to find replacements with their skills and knowledge. Plus it will be very hard for these people who are going out on their own to match WW facilities. And what have you got against people who work in spar?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement