Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is vampire the new emo?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Vampire the Masquerade pour le win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Start the vampire versus werewolf debate again anyone? ^^

Start the vampire versus werewolf debate again anyone? ^^

Go start it in the noc if you are :D

SDooM wrote: »
    Go start it in the noc if you are :D

That sounds ominous. :pac:

That sounds ominous. :pac:

nope, just falls under the creature of the night remit!

... so anyways if you think vamp culture is new you've ALOT of the world left to see. :)

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    nope, just falls under the creature of the night remit!

... so anyways if you think vamp culture is new you've ALOT of the world left to see. :)

To Dominion!!!

Ok, I know, it's a goth bar (isn't it?), but fúck it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Vampires were always cool (unlike emo :p ). Anne Rice's books were out long before most emo's were born. Oh and the Twilight books are fantastic! A lot better than the movie, so dont judge on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Ahem

EMO IS NOT A SUBCUTLURE OF GOTH.*

this eudcational message was brought to you by the irateness of a recovering goth, you may ask more questions but at your peril.
    "Emo" and "Goth" mean different things in different contexts.

However, in the context in which they are most commonly used in the mainstream, "Emo" and "Goth" mean almost exactly the same thing, i.e. a label to give to "alternative"(Although what's alternative about an image and subculture almost entirely fabricated and pushed by the media, I don't know) teenagers who wear a certain style of clothing, listen to a certain style of music etc. There might be subtle differences in the music and image "Goth" and "Emo" pertain to, but ultimately, Emos, in this sense of the word, are the Goths of the 21st century.

If talking in terms of the origins of the terms and the initial subcultural groups, as well as groups who stay faithful to their origins and not the media's version of the subculture, that these words pertain to, then yes, they mean quite different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

watched/read any of the true blood series yet? quite good, with vampires too, and im currently hooked on all things poppy z brite, favourite of which is Lost Souls, which is another vampire book. wtf is crystal castles? gonna have to check out this twilight series (unless someone can offer me something better involving vampires?), and interview with a vampire is one of hte many thigns on my 'list of things to see eventually'.

Never heard of them actually! Yeah the Movie of Interview with a Vampire is great. Brad Pitt makes such a gorgeous vampire, as doe Tom Cruise actually, and I'm not usually a big Tom Cruise fan! Also Kirstin Dunst looks lovely in it, even though she's only like 11, but I would love to be able to grow my hair like hers, even though I know it's only a wig :(

Interview_With_The_Vampire.jpg

But how beautiful is that fringe?!

i thought everyone liked the taste of their own blood, when you cut a finger, and suck it afterwards, or your lip, or whatever... i always just assumed that was one of those things everyone liked?

well, at least it's not just me...

Ewww! I can't see why anyone likes the smell of their own blood! Ugh it's so horrible! I remember findind it disgusting when I lost my first tooth because my mouth was bleeding and I couldn't stand the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

To Dominion!!!

Ok, I know, it's a goth bar (isn't it?), but fúck it!

No it was a goth club which used to run weekly for several years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    If talking in terms of the origins of the terms and the initial subcultural groups, as well as groups who stay faithful to their origins and not the media's version of the subculture, that these words pertain to, then yes, they mean quite different things.

So you agree, good.

No it was a goth club which used to run weekly for several years.

Is it gone?

There any goth clubs in Dublin left anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Poppy Z Brite is wonderful.
    Have you tried the anita blake books ?
    Reading the games workshop warhammer vampire war chronicals atm.
    Still think "I am Legend" is one of the best vamp novels ever written.

ooh, no, shall check out anita blake. i have now learnt to isolate my poppy z binges. after every time i read her stuff, and then read something else, i spend teh whole book wondering how poppy would have described it all :D

shall cehck out i am legend... and what is this games workshop thing?
    Piste wrote: »
    Never heard of them actually! Yeah the Movie of Interview with a Vampire is great. Brad Pitt makes such a gorgeous vampire, as doe Tom Cruise actually, and I'm not usually a big Tom Cruise fan! Also Kirstin Dunst looks lovely in it, even though she's only like 11, but I would love to be able to grow my hair like hers, even though I know it's only a wig :(

Interview_With_The_Vampire.jpg

whole load of people i know have gotten into this true blood tv series... i was in ireland when my fella started watching it, so he got me the books so i could figure out waht he was talking about... quite interesting really, seems to be some, waht i'd call 'vital' characters from the book left out of the tv series, but yeah, heard lots of good things about the series, appaerntly one you should check out.

haha, tis an awesome fringe alright... and interview with a vampire... i can't make brad pitt or tom cruise work as vampires in my mind. ???

Ewww! I can't see why anyone likes the smell of their own blood! Ugh it's so horrible! I remember findind it disgusting when I lost my first tooth because my mouth was bleeding and I couldn't stand the taste.

i have no idea about the smell, never really noticed before. just the taste. and maybe my severe iron deficiency is part of the reason :D nah, i've been badly anaemic bfore, but think my count's in and around normal now, and still would make a point of tasting my blood if im bleeding. have, now that i think about it, tasted another person's blood waaay back in the day, and i dont remember that as being displeasant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I remember seeing a documentary on the Discovery Channel, around Halloween 2001, that focused on a group of teenage "vampires" in the United States.
    It dealt with the influence of goth-culture, satanism and violence in the media (i.e. the standard scape-goats) and included exposés on communal blood-drinking, self-harm and gatherings in such places as grave-yards and local death-scenes.
    The climax of the documentary was centred on the murder of one group-member's father by her boyfriend (another member of the group).

All things in account, it was a disturbing piece of television that was broadcast in the context of a "scary" time of year, but it showed that teenagers around the world are capable of terrible things. From what I can remember, the killing was not blamed on vampirism, but on the idea of it as part of youth culture was very negative indeed.

An Fhile wrote: »
    I remember seeing a documentary on the Discovery Channel, around Halloween 2001, that focused on a group of teenage "vampires" in the United States.
    It dealt with the influence of goth-culture, satanism and violence in the media (i.e. the standard scape-goats) and included exposés on communal blood-drinking, self-harm and gatherings in such places as grave-yards and local death-scenes.
    The climax of the documentary was centred on the murder of one group-member's father by her boyfriend (another member of the group).

All things in account, it was a disturbing piece of television that was broadcast in the context of a "scary" time of year, but it showed that teenagers around the world are capable of terrible things. From what I can remember, the killing was not blamed on vampirism, but on the idea of it as part of youth culture was very negative indeed.

It's amazing how often the word "people" is replaced with "teenager" for dramatic effect.

Yeah or if it were a documentary about murdered wives it'd be "men around the wprld are capable of terrible things" or if were on psycho girlfriends/mothers who kill their kids it'd be "women around the world are capable of terrible things"

People in general are capable of terrible things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Piste wrote: »
    "women around the world are capable of terrible things"
    Well in fairness.. you can't say that one isn't true.. :pac:

i have no idea about the smell, never really noticed before. just the taste. and maybe my severe iron deficiency is part of the reason :D nah, i've been badly anaemic bfore, but think my count's in and around normal now, and still would make a point of tasting my blood if im bleeding. have, now that i think about it, tasted another person's blood waaay back in the day, and i dont remember that as being displeasant.

Oh whoops meant taste, not smell! I was just thinking about how I hate the smell of blood when I posted it! I was doing a chemistry experiment last week whre I had to tinker about with iron ions, the solution smelled like blood, it was horrible :(

Does blood even smell? I guess us vamp types don't even notice it, eh Crumble?.. :pac: :cool:

Yeah it smells very distinctive! Metallicy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I don't know if it's the 'new emo'. As far as I can recall, the whole vampire thing was always popular, at least where I live, with a certain group of kids who are into Anne Rice books, dressing in black and The Cure. No doubt there has been variants of it down through the years, but teenagers seem attracted to dark stuff like vampirism.

Acacia wrote: »
    I don't know if it's the 'new emo'. As far as I can recall, the whole vampire thing was always popular, at least where I live, with a certain group of kids who are into Anne Rice books, dressing in black and The Cure. No doubt there has been variants of it down through the years, but teenagers seem attracted to dark stuff like vampirism.

Think what people are talking bout is the concept of it as a large scale social group, rather than the odd one or two.

Like, I know a few goths and emos, but no vampires. :P

But certainly the whole Twilight stuff has led to an increase in numbers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

emo all the way

c'mon man, that's in no way productive to the conversation at all. you're 100% emo, well done. do you have a personality outside of the subculture/whatever you wana call it?

c'mon man, that's in no way productive to the conversation at all. you're 100% emo, well done. do you have a personality outside of the subculture/whatever you wana call it?

I say we bite him. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

lol i must go cut my silf than

i don't know if it's just cos im in an oddly good mood right now, but i did most certainly laugh out loud at that one. :D

hahahaha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I remember back in the day, emo was the new vampirism.

I remember back in the day, emo was the new vampirism.

Emos never had a book driven revival.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Next Hallowe'en will be interesting, if interest in this Twilight series continues to grow...

Advertisement