Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is vampire the new emo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Was watching the last south park of the season and seen that they were taking the piss out of Twilight and Hot Topic.I did some research and seen loads of online communities dedicated to vampirism and drinking blood.It is described as a subset of Goth (as was emo).
    Has it taken hold in Ireland yet?Personally I haven't noticed it around.

I take the piss out of Twilight as it has Paramore on the soundtrack, (I quite like Paramore, but I dont like films using bands to attract a certain demographic to a film, like MCR {Who I adore} with House of Wax *shudder oh how I hate marketing in general)

While I will never read the Twilight books or watch the film or any of its inevitable sequels, I dont really mind one its big effects, its getting teens to sit down and read the books, which while im too cynical too read them myself, teens reading is generally a good thing. Hopefully if they decide to read something else they'll go for something with a little more substance......

Hot Topic, contrary to popular belief is a very nice shop, while they have their, shall we say "Niche Products" the whole goth/emo clothes, they do sell other stuff. The other stuff they sell is also very well priced, CD's T-Shirts etc, are very well priced in store.

Also the people who write those websites are known as "Posers", they flirt with the idea of Vampirism like teens can flirt with Satanism and other kinda weird "Hobbies".

I dont like South Park for a variety of reasons, it can be hysterical (The Easter Bunny one is an example) but hearing about this episode has somehow succeeded in making me dislike it slightly more, its so easy to take the piss out of emo, why bother. (Also I find as a result I'll hear more people complaining about how much they dislike emos in the next few days, thinking theyre really badass for saying it too, having never really been in contact with one, saying about how theyre always depressed n' shít when in reality, emos are generally content middle/upper class teens with nothing better to do, just like the people who complain about them)

Fad wrote: »
    I take the piss out of Twilight as it has Paramore on the soundtrack, (I quite like Paramore, but I dont like films using bands to attract a certain demographic to a film, like MCR {Who I adore} with House of Wax *shudder oh how I hate marketing in general)

While I will never read the Twilight books or watch the film or any of its inevitable sequels, I dont really mind one its big effects, its getting teens to sit down and read the books, which while im too cynical too read them myself, teens reading is generally a good thing. Hopefully if they decide to read something else they'll go for something with a little more substance......

Hot Topic, contrary to popular belief is a very nice shop, while they have their, shall we say "Niche Products" the whole goth/emo clothes, they do sell other stuff. The other stuff they sell is also very well priced, CD's T-Shirts etc, are very well priced in store.

I dont like South Park for a variety of reasons, it can be hysterical (The Easter Bunny one is an example) but hearing about this episode has somehow succeeded in making me dislike it slightly more, its so easy to take the piss out of emo, why bother. (Also I find as a result I'll hear more people complaining about how much they dislike emos in the next few days, thinking theyre really badass for saying it too, having never really been in contact with one, saying about how theyre always depressed n' shít when in reality, emos are generally content middle/upper class teens with nothing better to do, just like the people who complain about them)

In fairness,emo wasn't mentioned in the episode,just goth and vampires.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah it never mentions emos, just takes the piss out of vampires, and goths getting offended at being called vampires.

In fairness,emo wasn't mentioned in the episode,just goth and vampires.

Savage, still passionately dislike South Park :)

If this Twilight film is a particularly big success we could be suffering the Heath Ledger's Joker effect, I am worried......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

words

Content? I thought the whole point of their emo-ness was being sad. I've even heard emos complain about the 'posers' because they're not really sad.

Though as far as I'm concerned they're all posers. Whatever that means. :pac:
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Although, in fairness, we all went through our various phases.
    I liked the phase where I knew everything about dinosaurs. When I was 6. The Land Before Time was worth watching because it had dinosaurs in it. Now I can't remember any of it. :(

Anyhow I'm just too socially retarded to understand any these subcultures. :pac: I'll just pass it off as me being above everything for the time being.

It's very cold up here.

EDIT:
    zomfg 1100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ahem

EMO IS NOT A SUBCUTLURE OF GOTH.*

this eudcational message was brought to you by the irateness of a recovering goth, you may ask more questions but at your peril.

Davidius wrote: »
    Content? I thought the whole point of their emo-ness was being sad. I've even heard emos complain about the 'posers' because they're not really sad.

Though as far as I'm concerned they're all posers. Whatever that means. :pac:

It's very cold up here.

Did you read the entire post or just the final paragraph?

TBH most emo are only bothered with their "Style"

Yes and the air must be pretty thin up on your high horse :)

Did you read the entire post or just the final paragraph?

TBH most emo are only bothered with their "Style"

Yes and the air must be pretty thin up on your high horse :)
    Of course I didn't read anything else. I'm above reading what others have to say, as is the way of the stuck up arsehole.

You think it's a horse? It's a pedestal that reaches the heavens! I wonder how much oxygen is up here?
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    EMO IS NOT A SUBCUTLURE OF GOTH.
    Cool, so they're the same then?

Retreat!

Davidius wrote: »
    Of course I didn't read anything else. I'm above reading what others have to say, as is the way of the stuck up arsehole.

You think it's a horse? It's a pedestal that reaches the heavens! I wonder how much oxygen is up here?

Cool, so they're the same then?

Retreat!

This is a sad and recurring theme with you :pac:

Thaedydal will rip you to shreds, she will you know!

This is a sad and recurring theme with you :pac:

Thaedydal will rip you to shreds, she will you know!

Never give an attention seeking machocist what they want.

The obsession with the whole vampire scene is either the aesthetic and being a big bad or people who have a blood fetish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_fetish

Which is very very risky behaviour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_borne_disease

As for twlight the books /snore are for the kids that grew up reading Potter and want something with more danger and sexual tension imho.

Other countries have big "C Vamp" scenes with events and even bars
    which are separate to the Goth scene it is not as much as an establish subculture here.

• Advertisement

Did you just call me manly? :pac:

:p

As for twilight the books /snore are for the kids that grew up reading Potter and want something with more danger and sexual tension imho.

I'll keep that in mind (Thanks :))

I'll be sure to pass that on to my parents who are buying these books for my sister :p I'll see what theyre reaction is like

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

hmm.. Wouldn't mind becoming part of this group.. <3vampires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Ahem

EMO IS NOT A SUBCUTLURE OF GOTH.*

this eudcational message was brought to you by the irateness of a recovering goth, you may ask more questions but at your peril.

Exactly!!
    The majority of my friends don't even know what Emo means.

"So Emos wear black?"
    "Yes.."
    "Are they goths then?"
    "No..
    "Why not?"
    "Hard to explain really.."
    "Why?"
    *kills*

They're two totally different things and yet it's so difficult to explain how they are different and why they are different in that way.

We have afew, dare I say "emo-like" people in my school and a friend of mine saw one the other day and said "jaysus loik, would dose gotts evah stop wearin' dat black sh1t?"

This is where my efforts to describe the differences between goths and emos began. I never came to a conclusion because describing it is virtually impossible.

--

Anyway so yeah, Twilight is a fad now, probably due to Robert Pattinson being in the film. It'll all be over soon.

Also: hmm.. Wouldn't mind becoming part of this group.. <3vampires.
    Knew that already! XD

Vampires are crap.

Robots for the win.

rhapsody! wrote: »
    Exactly!!
    The majority of my friends don't even know what Emo means.

"So Emos wear black?"
    "Yes.."
    "Are they goths then?"
    "No..
    "Why not?"
    "Hard to explain really.."
    "Why?"
    *kills*

They're two totally different things and yet it's so difficult to explain how they are different and why they are different in that way.

We have afew, dare I say "emo-like" people in my school and a friend of mine saw one the other day and said "jaysus loik, would dose gotts evah stop wearin' dat black sh1t?"

This is where my efforts to describe the differences between goths and emos began. I never came to a conclusion because describing it is virtually impossible.

--

Anyway so yeah, Twilight is a fad now, probably due to Robert Pattinson being in the film. It'll all be over soon.

My years original understanding of emo, was liking Green Day :)

kuowrgrhfahy10hl2ow.jpg

*hides*

kuowrgrhfahy10hl2ow.jpg

*hides*

Burn.

Emo: expressing emotions which are for the most part considered to be socially unacceptable in a manner of intensity which is considered to be socially unacceptable. OHHHHH the angst!

Goth a cultural and philosophical movement exploring the darker themes of life
    which has many artistic forms.
    What me biased ? Nah!

Emo: expressing emotions which are for the most part considered to be socially unacceptable in a manner of intensity which is considered to be socially unacceptable. OHHHHH the angst!

Goth a cultural and philosophical movement exploring the darker themes of life
    which has many artistic forms.
    What me biased ? Nah!

You and your Pete Steele :p

A point of distinction:

Goth=Anne Rice
    Emo=Stephenie Meyer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Davidius: This thread is neither about robots nor your superiority complex.
    No more off-topic posts.

I hate the taste of blood.

I quite like the taste of it actually... >_>

<_<

<_<

that explains so much..

callibal.

also we all know you're messed up.

:D

callibal.

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

I dunno, I sorta see goth and emo as two sides of the same coin. They're remarkably similar in clothing style anyway, emo is just slightly more colourful.

Davidius: This thread is neither about robots nor your superiority complex.
    No more off-topic posts.
    What superiority complex? I'm genuinely better than everybody! :pac: OK I'll stop now :p

In relation to this fad occuring because of the popularity of Twilight: Based on others people's impressions it sounds like a new Harry Potter fad "only terrible". I didn't see too many wizards running around. I was sort of hoping teens would pick up a, less-dark fad after the mountain of emos. Like robots

Actually how many of you have heard of 'My Immortal'? XD

I really liked the Twilight books (of course I was reading them before they became cool), I thought it was a genuinely good, romantic story, but with vampires.

I only read it cos I had nothing else to read and asked my sister for a loan of a book, when she said it was about vampires I was very sceptical but she assured me I'd like it and I really did, I stayed up all night reading it.

At least theyre getting a new book, I'm glad theyre done raping Catcher In The Rye...........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Piste wrote: »
    But...but I like crystal castles :(

(and the Twilight series, and Interview with a Vampire....)

watched/read any of the true blood series yet? quite good, with vampires too, and im currently hooked on all things poppy z brite, favourite of which is Lost Souls, which is another vampire book. wtf is crystal castles? gonna have to check out this twilight series (unless someone can offer me something better involving vampires?), and interview with a vampire is one of hte many thigns on my 'list of things to see eventually'.

<_<

oh thanks be to yay. i thought everyone liked the taste of their own blood, when you cut a finger, and suck it afterwards, or your lip, or whatever... i always just assumed that was one of those things everyone liked?

well, at least it's not just me...

• Advertisement

Poppy Z Brite is wonderful.
    Have you tried the anita blake books ?
    Reading the games workshop warhammer vampire war chronicals atm.
    Still think "I am Legend" is one of the best vamp novels ever written.

Advertisement