Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

BluntGuy wrote: »
    the telephones back where they belong

Have to agree either you about the phones. Last time I was on the M1 most of the phones seemed to have had black bin liners tied around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

amacachi wrote: »
    Have to agree either you about the phones. Last time I was on the M1 most of the phones seemed to have had black bin liners tied around them.

They could've been installing new phones...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Same on the M4 - for months for this stage. They're installing new wireless phones (which appear to be inside the crash barriers too rather than on the shoulder, thankfully) but its meant there are currently no operative ones at all.

MYOB wrote: »
    Same on the M4 - for months for this stage. They're installing new wireless phones (which appear to be inside the crash barriers too rather than on the shoulder, thankfully) but its meant there are currently no operative ones at all.

They are also rolling out those phones on the M7.

I guess all Irish motorways are going to have those phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

class pics Furet, it looks like this stretch will be a pleasure to give on, less bendy and on the cashel mitchelstown there is one or two bends that are a bit bendy but not much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Perhaps, though some were covered for over a year, just from what I noticed, dunno how long they were covered before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Furet wrote: »
    The 40km Cashel to Cullahill scheme opens officially at 11am next Monday. Traffic may use the road from 1.30pm.

The scheme will open replete with 56 emergency telephones from junction 7 (Cashel North) to Cullahill.

The scheme will also open up with a fine finish to it - the verges (all the verges) have been nicely trimmed; the landscaping works are exemplary; and the route is more heavily planted than the Cashel to Mitchelstown scheme. It will also be far straighter than the aforementioned section.

Superb. Great pics, great road. Roll on Monday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Roundabout nearly completed at Cullohill this evening. Funny how they still need to close one lane of the road to facilitate the parking of a trailer on the opposite side of the roundabout :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

all road signs exceot the ones saying M8 are up on the urlingford roundabout, lighting is still terrible tho (i hope that gets sorted).

the situation at the cullahill roundabout is rediculous IMO. there is no need to keep it stop and go untill monday. it is pretty much finished as it is. could they not just put some plastic over the signs that say M8. There is only one way on and off it so i doubt anyone will be getting lost on it. I dnt mean ta go on bout it but ive been late 4 collage 3 times so far this week and work twice.

dannym08 wrote: »
    all road signs exceot the ones saying M8 are up on the urlingford roundabout, lighting is still terrible tho (i hope that gets sorted).

the situation at the cullahill roundabout is rediculous IMO. there is no need to keep it stop and go untill monday. it is pretty much finished as it is. could they not just put some plastic over the signs that say M8. There is only one way on and off it so i doubt anyone will be getting lost on it. I dnt mean ta go on bout it but ive been late 4 collage 3 times so far this week and work twice.

Too much hard work?

I sincerely doubt it. After all, I remember the Cashel-Mitchelstown stretch, they seemed to find the time to not only put up black plastic, but physically REMOVE "End Of Motorway" and "Start of Motorway" signs and cover up anything saying "M8" (as though it made a bit of difference, we all KNEW it was motorway anyway).

Funny how they can do all that, but they can't seem to find some plastic to cover up a few signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Zuisse

the situation at the cullahill roundabout is rediculous IMO. there is no need to keep it stop and go untill monday. it is pretty much finished as it is.
    Definitely agree. There doesn't seem to be very much happening here at all - the roundabout is completely finished and they only need to put some kirbing to re-align the road (which the cones are doing anyway). There's no excuse for this continuing until Monday...with the higher traffic volume over the weekend, the stop-go must be removed. Anyway the guys working on the job only seem to be working 9 to 5, so I doubt they'll be there over the weekend.

Zuisse wrote: »
    Anyway the guys working on the job only seem to be working 9 to 5, so I doubt they'll be there over the weekend.

the traffic lights arent 9 to 5....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

From today's Irish Times:
    ONE OF the longest sections of road in the State's motorway development programme, the 40km Cullahill to Cashel section of the M8, has been completed seven months early, the NRA is to announce today.

The new €435 million road, which is expected to take at least 20 minutes off the journey time between Dublin and Cork, bypasses the towns of Johnstown and Urlingford in Co Kilkenny, and Littleton and Horse and Jockey in Co Tipperary.

It was built by SRB Ltd, a joint venture between Sisk and Roadbridge and the commissioning local authority was Kilkenny County Council.

The new road, which is expected to open to traffic as soon as Monday next, will remove up to 16,000 vehicles a day from towns along the route, separating national from local traffic.

There is to be a temporary tie-in at the northern end, with the existing N8, south of Cullahill.

By 2010 it will tie in to the M7/M8 Portlaoise to Cullahill motorway, providing dual carriageway access all the way to Dublin.

At the southern end, the new road ties in with the Cashel bypass which was opened in 2004. The new motorway will have four level-separated junctions and 46 bridges.

This scheme was a pilot "tendered target cost scheme" under which the contractor is paid their actual costs based on an open book accounting system.

A bonus is paid if the scheme costs less than the target cost and penalties are levied if the cost exceeds the target.

In 2010, when the entire Dublin-Cork route is upgraded to motorway or high grade dual carriageway standard, the route will have two tolls, the existing one on the Fermoy bypass and a second one on the Portlaoise to Cullahill section.

This week Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey told the Oireachtas Committee for Transport that the new major inter-urban routes were still on target for completion by 2010.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1205/1228337449492.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

cool cool cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

From today's Irish Times:
    ONE OF the longest sections of road in the State's motorway development programme, the 40km Cullahill to Cashel section of the M8, has been completed seven months early, the NRA is to announce today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1205/1228337449492.html

Sure you could have told them that months ago. :)
    This scheme was a pilot "tendered target cost scheme" under which the contractor is paid their actual costs based on an open book accounting system.

A bonus is paid if the scheme costs less than the target cost and penalties are levied if the cost exceeds the target.

Maybe that's why the scheme was finished so quickly.

The quicker it's finished the lower the cost will be, making it more likely that the final cost will be less than the target cost, allowing the contractor to get a bonus.

If this system works well as an incentive for contractors to finish schemes within the shortest time, then it should be adopted for all major NRA schemes.

Zuisse wrote: »
    Definitely agree. There doesn't seem to be very much happening here at all - the roundabout is completely finished and they only need to put some kirbing to re-align the road (which the cones are doing anyway). There's no excuse for this continuing until Monday...with the higher traffic volume over the weekend, the stop-go must be removed. Anyway the guys working on the job only seem to be working 9 to 5, so I doubt they'll be there over the weekend.

its not stop and go anymore. it is just operating as a roundabout now with barriers at the motorway exit/entrance. The signs havent been covered tho.

oh and at the urlingford r'bout all the signs are up now with plastic over the ones that say M8 and motorway aheah etc......nealy there now...74hrs (i think) to go!!!

Please NRA! Open it on Sunday night...

The red-tape surely isn't that important...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Imagine being the security guard (with car) on that site this weekend.

Anyway, I'll be shedding a tear this Sunday night in Urlingford on my way back. I don't know when I'll see the town again.

Perhaps I'll call in on my way back to leeside with Cork flags out the window if we can get Liam McCarthy. Me thinks that might not happen for some time to come :rolleyes:

Colm R wrote: »
    Anyway, I'll be shedding a tear this Sunday night in Urlingford on my way back.

Well I won't be...

If I want the visual experience you get when driving through a permanent construction site I've got plenty closer to home to choose from...

its not stop and go anymore. it is just operating as a roundabout now with barriers at the motorway exit/entrance. The signs havent been covered tho.
    Great! Should make the drive home this evening a bit easier.

• Advertisement

Colm R wrote: »
    Anyway, I'll be shedding a tear this Sunday night in Urlingford on my way back. I don't know when I'll see the town again.
    Urlingfords great for the cheap petrol though, but thats a whole other topic.

Now then. I want to know exactly what's stopping them from opening this earlier. The road is more-or-less finished. Cutting red-tape doesn't qualify as a reason for me.

I am quite annoyed due to the fact that I won't be able to use the road when going up to Dublin on December 8th, despite that being the day of opening. It is very infuriating.

Now then. I want to know exactly what's stopping them from opening this earlier. The road is more-or-less finished. Cutting red-tape doesn't qualify as a reason for me.

I am quite annoyed due to the fact that I won't be able to use the road when going up to Dublin on December 8th, despite that being the day of opening. It is very infuriating.

ill second that. and u say more-or-less finished, i live in Urlingford (unfortunately) and i was talking to one of the construction workers. The road IS finnished. it could be opened NOW if they wanted. there is rumors that some of the people involved in it havent been paid yet and they are jus stringing them along till the 8th but these are rumours....i wouldn't say they're true.

Well, all I'll say is I hope there isn't an accident on the old N8 this weekend.

I had a feeling the road is finished.

It's being held up by unnecessary red-tape snipping...

How will all the people purposefully delaying this project for sake of publicity feel if an accident happens on the old N8 at the weekend that could've been avoided simply by opening the stretch when it was ready.

They should open this on Sunday, Monday 8th is one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

...finished, i live in Urlingford (unfortunately)...

You live in Urlingford?

No offense, my friend, but how do you stand it?

The town could be grand, but that horrible hotel makes it look like a construction site. It's not a pleasant drive-through...

Do you know why the hotel was abandoned like that?

Given much thought to the new layout for the M8 wikipedia page yet, BluntGuy?

Given much thought to the new layout for the M8 wikipedia page yet, BluntGuy?

Yes, a little bit...

I will actually be using the oppurtunity to bring a few improvements to the page:

> I'm going to streamline the "Route" section and move as much as possible to the "History" section.
    > I'm going to add in the "History" section (this seems like a good time since the majority of the route is finished at this stage 101km (114km including W.Hill-DKettle) out of 143 km*).This will explain the construction of each piece of the M8, the redesignation process etc.
    > The "Future" section is fine, I'll just remove the Cullahill section...
    > Possibly going to add a "service areas" section when they publish the EIS designs...
    > I'll change the junction box to reflect the changes.
    > Possibly add an "M8(Toll)" shield

* Somebody tell me the exact the length of the M8 portion of the M7/M8 scheme. I estimated 12 km which is where I'm getting the 143 km figure from. It could be more however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Anyone like the go I made of the junction templates on wikipedia, I did about 6 months ago ?

Was kinda pissed off that they were sketchy and didn't include all future junctions.

• Advertisement

Anyone like the go I made of the junction templates on wikipedia, I did about 6 months ago ?

Was kinda pissed off that they were sketchy and didn't include all future junctions.

Did you make these? If yes, then you did a great job.

Advertisement