Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childers Road Retail Park at it again !

Options
  • 05-12-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas to all and the usual nonsence from the Childers road Retail Park has begun again early this year.

They have no created mass confusion in the car park by sealing up the entrance on the Castletroy View side forcing all cars to enter through the front entrance.

The randomly close off the road entering it so that you must turn left as soon as you enter thereby causing utter insanity for people wishing to visit, Heatons, Land of Leather, Smyths and Atlantic Homecare and the restaurants.

They then have this idiot who stands at the T junction holding up traffic for his own amusement it seems. Last year the madness, oh the madness. I will now do my shopping in Tesco Nenagh 24 hour instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont really understand what you mean by the turning left bit??!

And the T junction, is that in the complex or out on the road? Sure its madness anyway when its busy. Just go later on, there is nobody there at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fantastic2007

I totally agree with you. I was there on Wednesday night and it was almost Thursday morning before I got out. All the parking areas are no closed off at one end, making it impossible to get down to park as other cars are pulling out. Also, there are no signs to state the change in layout. The guys in the jackets are clueless and the shops up there are going to suffer.
    As usual, the motto in this country is up held. "If it is not broke, change it"

Fecking scandalous, duly noted not to go in there for lunch so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I went there on Tuesday lunchtime! Took me 40 minutes to get out. A joke!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

It's a joe of a place anyway. the roads are all messed up already without them messing it up even more. When you enter the retail park, you drive straight up towards dunnes and you can barely turn left because the road is so tight. anyone trying to turn right then needs to wait half an hour and the people behind him go crazy.

I MISS THE BOXED UP MEAL IN KFC. ONLY 40% REAL CHICKEN... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Merry Christmas to all and the usual nonsence from the Childers road Retail Park has begun again early this year.

They have no created mass confusion in the car park by sealing up the entrance on the Castletroy View side forcing all cars to enter through the front entrance.

The randomly close off the road entering it so that you must turn left as soon as you enter thereby causing utter insanity for people wishing to visit, Heatons, Land of Leather, Smyths and Atlantic Homecare and the restaurants.

They then have this idiot who stands at the T junction holding up traffic for his own amusement it seems. Last year the madness, oh the madness. I will now do my shopping in Tesco Nenagh 24 hour instead.
    It's chaos alright, but I'm glad that sometimes they close off that entrance opposite the GAA club. It inconvience's me greatly, but it also means that all those f**king plebs who come from the parkway roundabout and turn left at the lights and then try to turn right to go in there have to drive on, turn around and face the lights again. It's illegal to turn right there. Cops should book the stupid gobsh!tes who do it. And way worse are the idiots who try to come out that one way entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The reason the slip road is closed regularly is because lazy drivers were trying to force their way out the wrong way of a one way system even when the place was not busy. I was walking past one day and one such driver refused to back up despite cars coming through the correct way. He eventually barged his way through and caused traffic distruption in the process.

The solution to that particular problem is to lay down spikes that pop up if you go over them in the wrong direction similar to the ones they have coming out of the KFC/Pizza Hut drive thru. Let the lazy driven then weight up the cost of 4 new tyres.

The easiest thing to do at the moment is park on the waste ground outside the GAA club.

Of course the whole place is a total disaster with regards planning and traffic management. The City Council have alot to answer for allowing planning permission to go ahead for this development in it's current form. In fact that Retail Park would have been better placed out near the likes of B&Q where it would have easier access to the Southern Ring Road. Of course it all boils down to money and the B&Q area is Co. Limerick so putting it out there would have meant that the City Council would miss out on revenue from commerical rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

. I will now do my shopping in Tesco Nenagh 24 hour instead.

why are you going to nenagh to do shopping? you do realise tesco dooradoyle is 24hour and tesco coonagh and i think jetland is too?!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    why are you going to nenagh to do shopping? you do realise tesco dooradoyle is 24hour and tesco coonagh and i think jetland is too?!!:o

Check his locatatin, it is probably the same distance to travel to Nenagh as it is to the city from Newport but quicker.

Plus the council seem to be putting traffic lights up everywhere, when roundabouts would have been a much better use of public money.

And whats with all the pedestrian crossings near roundabouts, its very dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Plus the council seem to be putting traffic lights up everywhere, when roundabouts would have been a much better use of public money.

And whats with all the pedestrian crossings near roundabouts, its very dangerous

NO! BAD SPARKYSROVERS! BAD!

Roundabouts are way too widely used here, they are bandaid fixes which screw up traffic more than any junction management system.
    Traffic lights with correct detectors both at the junction and 15 car lengths back are far more efficient.

Remove all roundabouts I say.

Jumpy wrote: »

Roundabouts are way too widely used here, they are bandaid fixes which screw up traffic more than any junction management system.
    Traffic lights with correct detectors both at the junction and 15 car lengths back are far more efficient.

Sorry Jumpy, you are mistaken. Roundabouts are the only solution to improper use of funds. Look at the dock road, they have put loads of lights in the space of a few 100 yards, complete mess when they come into operation.

Also if you implement traffic lights, timing of the lights changing is crucial. Like lights at the crescent shopping centre and some in town are a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Childers Rd retail park is another example of a fine mess created by the city planners. I honestly can't remember passing it at any stage without there being significant traffic congestion.
    I can't imagine what it must be like at this time of year with all the scobes going in to Heatons for the christmas gifts.

Aidric wrote: »
    Childers Rd retail park is another example of a fine mess created by the city planners. I honestly can't remember passing it at any stage without there being significant traffic congestion.
    I can't imagine what it must be like at this time of year with all the scobes going in to Heatons for the christmas gifts.
    Heatons and then they have to make a reservaaaaaaation in KFC for christmas dinner. Yea man. "I want some beans on chiiiiips kid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sorry Jumpy, you are mistaken. Roundabouts are the only solution to improper use of funds. Look at the dock road, they have put loads of lights in the space of a few 100 yards, complete mess when they come into operation.

Also if you implement traffic lights, timing of the lights changing is crucial. Like lights at the crescent shopping centre and some in town are a joke!

The timing is what the detectors are for. Just because Irish road planners are incompetant doesnt mean that lights do not work better than roundabouts.

Roundabouts are only useful when all routes are of equal value and when muppet uneducated drivers learn how to use them correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Aidric wrote: »

Snob. My work suit came from Heatons and it was only €45 or €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ok, they're stuck with the building and location, but how could they improve the carpark? Maybe we can come up with a much better system to enable flow.
    childersrd.jpg
    i was thinking move the entrance further to the right, near the bus stop, slip road in, roundabout the castletroy view entrance so people approaching from opposite side can u turn to get to this entrance, and slip road out with traffic forced to turn left on exit? all traffic moving in one direction in carpark then.

How about removing the back of the halting site and creating a roadway from the Tipperary road up between Atlantic and KFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Jumpy wrote: »

You obviously haven't driven in Cork City recently if you think sensor traffic lights are the solution.

Or even creating another entrance at the back linking the retail park with castletroy directly. The road could start down by the groody bar direction. This would divert all the traffic going to the retail park coming from castletroy (half the traffic).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have made a special resolution to keep well away from that retail car-park this year. I learned the lesson last Christmas.......never again.

The traffic chaos there reminds me of the evacuation of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina, or something similar.

tippman1 wrote: »
    I have made a special resolution to keep well away from that retail car-park this year. I learned the lesson last Christmas.......never again.

I will try but Im sure my OH will want to go and I will say No and then she will throw a strop because there and only there can she find the top she is looking for for a night out and come out with ten other things instead of a top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Ah there a great bunch of lads that organize he traffic up there! Was on my lunch today and i popped out for a smoke. Traffic was manic, but there was no people around.

I used to get home on my lunch but now because the slip road in is closed i haven't got a hope in hell in making it in time!

Knock the halting site and put a slip road out. Two birds, one stone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

How about removing the back of the halting site and creating a roadway from the Tipperary road up between Atlantic and KFC?
    I hope you're taking the piss. I dont think I would like it if my place of residence was knocked down to make way for a road to a retail park. The Travellers have been on Childers road longer than dunnes have. And I think the frustration experienced by a family who is forced to relocate from a place they consider home doesn't equate with my frustration of navigating a difficult car park.

I hope you're taking the piss. I dont think I would like it if my place of residence was knocked down to make way for a road to a retail park. The Travellers have been on Childers road longer than dunnes have.

I said the "back" of the halting site.

Next time you are in childers road have a look over or through the fence and see what you see.

Its a dumping ground full of scrap and rubbish. They do not live there, they just dump all their crap in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

I said the "back" of the halting site.

Next time you are in childers road have a look over or through the fence and see what you see.

Its a dumping ground full of scrap and rubbish. They do not live there, they just dump all their crap in there.

Oh right, Sorry about that. I had no idea about that area.

Here is my suggestion :D

childersrdac3.th.jpg

Just click on the image. The red marks are to show blocked off parts. The entrance would be up near castletroy view entrance.

Pretty self explanatory really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

I belive they did this new layout to help improve traffic flow for the park:confused:.
    I was in there myself and i was confused seeing me all round just to get to Atlantic.

How about at the Claughan exit they talk with the city council to expand this are to make a 2 way system.
    Push Back the lights to near the Gaa entrance and it could be done.
    I Know u will think i am mad but just think about it.
    It might help .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Declan30 wrote: »
    I belive they did this new layout to help improve traffic flow for the park:confused:.
    I was in there myself and i was confused seeing me all round just to get to Atlantic.

How about at the Claughan exit they talk with the city council to expand this are to make a 2 way system.
    Push Back the lights to near the Gaa entrance and it could be done.
    I Know u will think i am mad but just think about it.
    It might help .

Think so too...at least the traffic flow in the car park might improve..at first when I saw it this morning I was "fcukin bunch of muppets" but now all traffic getting out have to follow around the back of it and not up the lanes where some idiot is halfway out on the rmain lane blocking all the incoming cars for about 30 mins.

• Advertisement

My favourite way out is all the way down past Pizza hut and you pop out right at the exit. The problem is though that muppet standing at the T-Junction holding everyone back.

Here is my suggestion for future reference. Park outside the GAA pitch and walk. I know walking is alien to some people but you will get out much faster. :D

I tentatively went to KFC earlier this evening. Now bearing in mind I live in Newport, getting out fast and home fast for a warm meal is imperative. At 20:20 it was fairly quiet of course but I got this strange feeling of opening the boot and stealing the stupid "road closed" sign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement