Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in the World is Carmei Santiargonov?

• 24-11-2008 6:10am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here's an interesting couple of Russian maps, from the 1970s.

The question for you, and the prize is a free pint if I ever meet you, is where are these maps of? (And no cheating by plugging in CoOrds into Google Earth!)

NTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I'd be only guessing on the 1st one

but the second one...I never forget a contour line

*shudder*

spent many a cold wet night and day huddled over that map
    Sheet 56 baby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cathal_Mc

First one is Kildare. Droichead Nua or Newbridge in the top left.

Second shows Roundhill, Wicklow I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yep. Curragh Camp is on the left edge of the sheet.

Hypothetical: Why did the USSR draw up maps of Ireland? (Article in 2006 Defence Forces review concludes that Russian military maps of the place were better than those available to Irish people and soldiers)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Hypothetical: Why did the USSR draw up maps of Ireland?

probably if they were to invade Ireland during the cold war if a war did break out. to surround Britain just like hitler planned to do during WW2. i know that they could just blast britain with nukes.:eek: but if that was ruled out it's possible.

any former soviet intel officers around maybe they could clarify this?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

any former soviet intel officers around maybe they could clarify this?:)
    this is the only one I know http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=putin&btnG=Google+Search&meta= :pac:

Of course, there are various reasons to make maps (a) it keeps map makers busy (b) contingency (invading, humanitarian) (c) understanding people for political / diplomatic purposes.

What I dislike about Russian maps is the way they represent towns - only showing ht emain roads

• Advertisement
Advertisement